• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This gen is the worst ever and i've been in gaming since year 1998

Justin9mm

Has been pretty great to me. Cheaper access to a bigger selection of games, load times went from 20sec/ 1min to 5-10sec, most games went from unstable 30fps to 60fps. For inovation thers indie games, triple A games are too expensive to try experiment new ideas that might fail and shut down an entire studio.
The reason why new AAA games fail is because of the whole let's throw what we can at it and see what sticks ideology. Devs have never been more out of touch with gamers than now. Some AAA devs just suck at making games period. WE live in a world where so many people are just not that good at their jobs.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
All these arguments about length of time to develop…

I just sat through FF7:Rebirth which added huge variety of things to do, was lengthy, superbly animated, phenomenal OST, great looking with incredibly varied locations. All of which happened in less than five years at the most.

The rest of these clowns are just being mismanaged.
Yeah... its bullshit.. people talk like if it was absolutely impossible to develop something faster ... everything its a choice ... every choice you make in the production will decide if your game is going to take 3 or 6 years to produce .... make the game shorter, tune down the overly exaggerated real cinematics, stop chasing life-like assets, stop putting AC like bloatness in every game, stop with the "everything is open world" shtick .... its fucking video games.. you are no painting the Sistine Chappell or filming an Scorsese movie for the Oscars consideration.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The reason why new AAA games fail is because of the whole let's throw what we can at it and see what sticks ideology. Devs have never been more out of touch with gamers than now. Some AAA devs just suck at making games period. WE live in a world where so many people are just not that good at their jobs.
And the reason for this is abundantly clear... theres a limit you can achieve in any business when you start to hire by any motive that is not pure merit.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Past couple years have been loaded with amazing games.

Being on PC+Deck has been awesome. Best time for gaming ever. I could see console fanboys having a tough time with everything being multiplatform and on PC.

I guess its their delusional hope and expectation from few years ago that the SSD loading will actually make people jump from PC to consoles, but turns out the opposite is happening so they are feeling frustrated.

Personally I hope they will just settle down and live with their decisions

CashPrizes

2023 was a really great year, and 2020 was a bubble year but like all the amazing games that came out (Last of Us 2, FF7Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk) got ports/patches for this generation.

I think this gen is fine, certainly just as good as the PS4 gen was halfway in.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
2023 was a really great year, and 2020 was a bubble year but like all the amazing games that came out (Last of Us 2, FF7Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk) got ports/patches for this generation.

Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 were launched in the first 4 years of ps4.. and than we had Killzone,Infamous,Resogun , Gow3 remastered, UC1-3 remastered , Last of Us Remastered, knack , Driveclub, Ratchet and Clank, Tearaway, Until Dawn,Beyond two souls, Helldivers, The Last Guardian.

And this are all published by sony .... and theres more but the list is long.

Comparing this playstation first party gen with the last .. untill now is a joke. Even more so because the sequels are not living up to the hype .. FW, Ragnarok and even SM2 .. all came with somewhat divisive opinions.

Time to blame covid...

Last edited:
This gen, for me, has been about reconnecting with older games, and digging into the treasure chest of Indies and AA. The AAA scene has produced some gems this gen, especially last year, but it's obvious that part of the market is not sustainable without a paradigm shift in how those games are produced. It's crazy to me that the 7th gen managed trilogies for Mass Effect, Batman Arkham, Bio Shock, Resistance, Uncharted( AND TLOU to close out the PS3), 5 Halo games, 4 Gears, Fallout 3/New Vegas/Oblivion/Skyrim, two GTAs AND RDR.....just insane what companies could pump out then vs now.

Last edited:
Isn't that the same with every generation. PS4 could barely handle the UE4 engine games.
Now UE4 is at it's peak and developers are adapting to UE5 for future titles.
At present PS5/XSX can run UE4 games smoothly if optimized well. It'll be same with PS6/Next Xbox with UE5.

Look at Stellar Blade.

Last edited:
OP's right. I've been gaming since the late 80s, first console NES, and this is by far the worst generation of all time. Absolutely nothing worthwhile to buy a console for. How ANYONE can compare a year like 1998 vs 2020-2023 and not walk away with the distinct impression that we are in a competency crisis + creatively bankrupt era in not only gaming, but ALL mediums, is beyond me. These are the worst times.

ahtlas7

True, it’s like digging through a lot of shit to find the gems.
Happy Bayern GIF by Bayerischer Rundfunk
But if you dig long enough you’ll find something good.

DaGwaphics

HL3.exe, I don't see how Hellblade 2 has had 7 years in development when they've said themselves that there was no game in existence when the trailer was initially launched in 2019 and this small studio released Bleeding Edge in 2020 (they were even smaller at this point than today). They did not start work on the sequel after releasing the first in 2017, they didn't have the funds for that so they tried a live service style game in Bleeding Edge.

Poppyseed

So much hype around Ryzen CPU,SSD etc and yet so little inovations,level design is same as old gen,graphics are basically like upgraded PS4,no destruction,no inovations in physics.Who knows if even UE5 will be playable on this gen. I think we might have to wait till PS6/Next Xbox to get true next gen games.

Yes Hellblade 2 looks great but its basically 6 hour linear "cinematic hold your hand" showcase.
I don't agree with this gen being the worst, but Hellblade 2 is a tech demo and not much else, - that I agree with. WHAT a tech demo (fire and lapping waters aside - which are hilariously bad), but it's a tech demo. You hold up and LB the entire game.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
So much hype around Ryzen CPU,SSD etc and yet so little inovations,level design is same as old gen,graphics are basically like upgraded PS4,no destruction,no inovations in physics.Who knows if even UE5 will be playable on this gen. I think we might have to wait till PS6/Next Xbox to get true next gen games.

Yes Hellblade 2 looks great but its basically 6 hour linear "cinematic hold your hand" showcase.
Agreed. Full of lazy developers and greedy publishers. Just lackluster overall

I blame COVID and AI
Right…people seem to forget that Covid shut the damn world down for quite some time. Yea sure, devs moved to remote work like many other workers. But even then, it took time to adapt to all remote work. And the fact that it happened at the beginning of a generation makes it even worse. It set the industry back 2 years. I know people will argue that, but they are flat out wrong 🤷‍♂️

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I may do something drastic and go only with Nintendo only "next generation". I am so sick of the microtransactions, broken games, repeated formulas in games, the same old shit. It seems these companies put Fun last in the equation. I have a real theory on why game development has gotten so bad.

Games use to be made by Companies that yes wanted to make profit, but also by real game enthusiast who put passion and love into their work.

vs

Games Now are made by Greedy cold corporations like Electronic Arts (EA). They give 2 shits less how good the product is. They only care how much money they can nickle and dime you for to maximize profits. Thats Why the same people Playing NBA 2k, Madden, Fifa, etc are an endless bank for EA. Most people know the product is shit but there is a percentage of people out there who will invest real world money for virtual items. Game development has become that quality is last and profits are first.

I play my PS5 less and less as time goes on. I got to be honest there just isn't enough quality games releasing to keep me interesting. I don't play the yearly mindless games like Call of Duty, Madden, NBA 2k, etc. Game development has become so long of a process it is almost impossible to keep the good games coming. I won't even touch on the woke shit being shoved into games like Spiderman 2 that are against my personal views..

IT really has gone to shit.

Nintendo is the exception and not the rule. Despite their hardware being ancient, they are releasing a steady flow of fun good looking games that appeal to everybody. They are not shoving the micro-transactions up your ass. I also am a huge fan of physical media and they seem like the last saving grace of the format.

This gen worse because of graphics? FUUUUUUCK THAT!!!! This gen I got great games like Elden Ring, Armored Core VI and Unicorn Overlord.
Those are all literally last gen games. None of those are PS5/Xbox Series exclusive i.e current gen games, at best they are cross gen. Like Assassin's Creed Black Flag was on PS3 and PS4.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Those are all literally last gen games. None of those are PS5/Xbox Series exclusive i.e current gen games, at best they are cross gen.
They came out this gen which makes the current gen games. Regardless if they are cross-gen or not that didn’t stop those game from being super fun to play.

Definitely not.
PS4 released in November 2013.
Three years later I could play generation defining games like MGS5, Witcher 3, Overwatch and one of the best games of all time Bloodborne. With the exception of MGS5 (which ran and looked like dogshit on PS3) these games were only available on the latest gen consoles.

It has been three and a half years since the PS5 released and the only game which is only available on the latest console gen which may hold a candle to the aforementioned games may be… Baldur's Gate 3? But like most simple idiots here, I'm more into SP action-adventure games with real time combat, so even that does not satisfy the needs (at least for me).

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Besides the switch I think I have played the Atari 2600 more than I've played new games this year. lol

tr1p1ex

Least interesting/least exciting generation for me. I just don't see anything that makes me go wow. SEems like too much focus on graphics and voiceovers. Those things generally spell dull game to me.

I think I would be into faithful remasters/remakes of old games. Link's Awakening arguably my fav game on Switch. I just had fun all the way thru. Looked forward to playing it every time. Just no bullshit game. Not too overwhelming. Not too handhold-ee.

I miss that no bullsht game. BAck when they were limited to what they could include in a game. So the games were more to the point. I miss that.

Now games just want to give you piles of shit to do. Just to give you a list to check off or so it often feels to me.

And something to be said for the easier on your eyes 2d or top down viewpoints or the easier on your eyes simplicity of old school graphics or easier to distinguish between environment and targets aspect of old school graphics.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Nothing beats the ps3/xbox360 gen for me… with the absolute absence of Japanese devs that was definitely the worse for me!

I don't disagree. There's nothing like the KZ2, Uncharted 2 reveal this generation. All we're getting are remakes and reiterative design. It's like we never left the PS4 era

Hypereides

Gold Member
Preach.

Personally, I pin the disconnect between developers and gamers on the middleman: the gaming press. A majority of those media people a) don't really actually care about video games and b) want to talk about anything else other than video games. It makes matters worse when developers lend their ears to the press and rely on them for honest and dependable feedback. There's overall a lot of miscommunication in this space.

After the showing from Sony last night, I agree now. Elden Ring single handedly saved this gen from being an absolute car crash for me, but even that was cross gen. Consoles have absolutely nothing interesting for me anymore.

Seyken

I really try to wrap my head around this cross gen argument, but I just can't do it.

Engines nowadays can scale like crazy, you can tweak everything in order to make a game run on anything you want. The Witcher 3 and Hogwarts Legacy were butchered enough to run on a Nintendo Switch, for God's sake. So what if God of War and Horizon released on both PS4 and PS5? You're still getting the best experience by far on PS5, with 60 fps while pushing higher resolution. That's a current gen game.

When you guys are playing a PC game on your 4090 with all the bells and whistles, do you guys get angry when you see a guy with a 1060 running the same game? Does that game now become a game from an older generation because of that? If so, isn't PC the biggest cross gen machine of all time and you guys love it? Consoles are pretty much doing the same thing that PC has always done but apparently that's not allowed?

And to answer the thread question: I think this gen will be extremely backloaded because of dev times and I doubt that by the end of it people will still call it the worst ever. Sure, the great western AAA studios of old are torpedoeing themselves with terrible decisions, but a lot of talent is emerging and pretty much stealing their place. We're going through a change of the guard and Asia as a whole is coming back with a vengeance. A generation when they are on top is always a good generation.

kyussman

I think this really depends on when you came into the hobby.....if you came in more recently,let's say PS3 gen,then I imagine things are generally fine.....personally I have been gaming since Pong and I would agree this gen has been awful,so much so I've sat it out altogether......I thought the instant loading thing would change game design forever and bring in a new era of exciting gaming,but instead we got a bunch of fucking remakes and sequels.....AAA gaming has become just like Hollywood,scared to death of creativity......at least Death Stranding 2 is coming.

FunkMiller

I really try to wrap my head around this cross gen argument, but I just can't do it.

Engines nowadays can scale like crazy, you can tweak everything in order to make a game run on anything you want. The Witcher 3 and Hogwarts Legacy were butchered enough to run on a Nintendo Switch, for God's sake. So what if God of War and Horizon released on both PS4 and PS5? You're still getting the best experience by far on PS5, with 60 fps while pushing higher resolution. That's a current gen game.

When you guys are playing a PC game on your 4090 with all the bells and whistles, do you guys get angry when you see a guy with a 1060 running the same game? Does that game now become a game from an older generation because of that? If so, isn't PC the biggest cross gen machine of all time and you guys love it? Consoles are pretty much doing the same thing that PC has always done but apparently that's not allowed?

Your argument only stands up if all you're talking about is graphics. There is much more to a video game than that.

Bodom78

Just need more power! Wait for the PS5 Pro, everything leading up to it's release will have been worth it for we get to experience the next chapter in gaming evolution!

Alternatively, continue playing the old stuff and enjoy gaming.

This gen been amazing. I really don't know what people are on about myself. I don't like cross gen is still a thing but the ammount of amazing games out there on the PS5 and Series X is nuts and my biggest grip this gen is the lack of storage space

sncvsrtoip

So much hype around Ryzen CPU,SSD etc and yet so little inovations,level design is same as old gen,graphics are basically like upgraded PS4,no destruction,no inovations in physics.
Even funnier, 0 progress in physics but we already read cpu will be limiting ps5pro and thats probably true :messenger_beaming:

FunkMiller

This gen has been amazing if you don't care about pointless shit like whether the game is cross-gen or not.

See, I've always cared about games that push forward the medium in new and exciting ways that improve upon things like character AI, environmental interactivity, gameplay complexity and ingenuity... that kind of thing.

All of which have been completely ignored by video games companies who want to sell their tired, unoriginal shit to as many people as possible, on as many platforms as possible, regardless of how old and bad they are.

This is the worst games generation of all time, for the simple reason that rampant greed has eclipsed everything else, and nobody wants to do anything experimental, different or new, because it might not make hundreds of millions of dollars.

Gaming has speed run Hollywood's downfall, for all the same reasons.

Guilty_AI

See, I've always cared about games that push forward the medium in new and exciting ways that improve upon things like character AI, environmental interactivity, gameplay complexity and ingenuity... that kind of thing.

[...] nobody wants to do anything experimental, different or new, because it might not make hundreds of millions of dollars.
It just so happens i've seen plenty of that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
STOP BEING A BITCH

No one cares and everyone doesn't agree. Go play the classics. There is infinite ammount of games for you to enjoy and not complain.

NahaNago

It hasn't been great but we are still getting a lot of solid games. Then again it also depends on what type of games you are into.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Besides the switch I think I have played the Atari 2600 more than I've played new games this year. lol

*high-five* See, I've been playing video games since the Atari 2600, and every single gen has it's ups and downs. For every E.T. there's a River Raid, says I.

Ivan

Has been pretty great to me. Cheaper access to a bigger selection of games, load times went from 20sec/ 1min to 5-10sec, most games went from unstable 30fps to 60fps. For inovation thers indie games, triple A games are too expensive to try experiment new ideas that might fail and shut down an entire studio.
And where is all that inovation from indie games?

Top Bottom