• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is easily the worst leadership playstation had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't see how anyone can disagree with what am saying. we had jack tretton and andrew house bringing PS3 back from the grave with so many cool consistently good announcements from 2010-2013. and they launch PS4 successfully yay and then Sony starts to close studios under the new garbage leadership. regress in every way. and compete in fields they have no business competing in (cloud gaming and ip tv streaming). and now we're here.

you remember these kevin butler ads? they were so funny. and one time he came on stage. and jack was such a good speaker

and we have sean layden. comes out. talks about idealistic nonsense that has nothing to do with anything. he could be in a ted talk about philosophy for all I can tell. and then leaves

I have supported this company's consoles since ps1. ps2 and ps3. and ps4 initially. but I'd say by the end of 2016 it started to change under layden and kodera. started to look doomy and gloomy. and generic to me. they looked like they just want to coast with the same announcements for years. upon years. and here we are. we saw days gone in what. 4 years of events? 3 for the other games?. really fun. really interesting to look forward for your events. no thanks. I don't want to listen to the sack of shit that is shawn layden .hes not a good speaker. hes not fun to listen to. and he says nothing interesting. and none of what he says has to do with anything

Sony made more moves in the playstation division when they were almost bankrupt than they are doing now. when they brought over 10bn in revenue last quarter

they stopped creating many games to many niche fans. they stop making arcade racers. shooters. platformers. many other games. JRPGs. and they start making uncharted clones. god of war might have as well had a Naughty dog emblem on it. they are turning into ubisoft. where every one of their games have the same basic ingredients. its not interesting

I like how we can count the number of great exclusives this generation on like two hands. but hey. the fanboys will still say its the best ever because its more than microsoft right? thats such a good way to make arguments.

what happened to the focus on games? they are creating a new studio to milk uncharted even more. how many more uncharted games do we need?. we have uncharted with zombies. uncharted with dad and daughter and zombies. uncharted with axeman and son. and soon to be uncharted with sword man in japan.

even shuhei yoshida himself said that their games look the same nowdays I can't remember when or where he said it. but I heard him say that in an interview a year or two ago.

I used to follow the brand a lot even when I didn't buy the games. well I followed most brands tbh when it comes to gaming. but playstation the most. I can tell you right now am no longer interested in tuning to E3 or whatever event year after year to see the same games be rolled through for 3-4 years straight. am done with that.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us...LUSIVESCAT/2?direction=desc&sort=release_date

thats right there is this generations exclusive line up. and half of these came to other platforms or are crap downloadables. thats how good console gaming is nowdays thats how pathetic it is. but oh well. thats just what happens when PS+ brings in the revenue. who needs games? ask microsoft in 2011. they did the same thing

Oh shit, there's a sequel to the OP?

Look man, I'm glad you're airing this out to be honest. There's a lot of truth and genuine concern in what you say and I can tell you want Sony to be more aggressive and just better overall. However they did say they were "crouching down". One side effect of this is bottled up hype under rising pressure. Second is fan panic. The hype is intentional and the panic may or may not be warranted. They are dripping a little news with "State of Play" which I think this OP predates. I'm sure they will really let loose around E3. They have never let Microsoft hold the spotlight for long, Any exclusive Microsoft came out with, they found some way to try and bring the attention back on Playstation. I really don't like that they do that, I feel healthy competition means letting your opponent breathe and have his day in the spotlight...right before you crush them.

Just chill man, I'm sure it'll all come together in the end.

Edit: Also

they stopped creating many games to many niche fans. they stop making arcade racers. shooters. platformers. many other games. JRPGs. and they start making uncharted clones. god of war might have as well had a Naughty dog emblem on it. they are turning into ubisoft. where every one of their games have the same basic ingredients. its not interesting

Last edited:

wvnative

Selling 100 million in 5 and a half years is "Worst leadership Playstation ever had"

Were you around for the PS3 launch/early days?

Last edited:

NahaNago

I honestly don't care if what they are doing is good or bad for them. I have zero loyalty to any company. They can go under tomorrow for all i care. Yes i have been buying Playstation systems since 1998 and most of my games are for their platforms. That was mostly because their portfolio offered an incredible variety of unique Japanese exclusive titles (first party or not) that i couldn't find anywhere else.

However this has been changing lately for the worse with their emphasis on safe,mainstream,cinematic exclusives. I also don't like Sony's recent double standards when it comes to censorship against Japanese-only games. Current trends of both business and gaming models,like digital-only,subscription services, streaming services,online-only games as services, all these are also not for me. But this is something that applies to the industry in general and not only to Sony.

If this continues and i'm not satisfied by their output as a customer i will look for alternatives. If i'm not satisfied by the alternatives either (which is quite possible at least for Xbox) then it will be high time to finally start giving proper attention to my backlog and also replay the games that i love. I have a backlog that can last me 2 lifetimes and thank God i'm not playing games for their graphics only so i can really enjoy old games for what they offer(ed) and immerse myself in them just as if i was playing a modern game.

I agree for the most part but I do still have some nostalgic feelings for the playstation with the games I've played on it so I would like for them to make a come back to the playstation that I loved but it feels like each gen they move further and further away.

I'm definitely not a fan of the moves they have made this gen with the direction in their games but it makes them money so I don't see them changing. They have pretty much abandoned the Japanese video game enthusiast which is weird since they bought Funimation.

nowhat

2wosey.jpg

Another Sony = Doomed thread. Time to put SlashBringingHasher on ignore.

Remember that SlashBringingHasher is the person that bitched that he is going to quit playing games because there isn't enough gaming news.

I dunno about any of that, but this op made a lot of great valid points. You made none and instead attacked him personally and instead announced to the world you are putting him on ignore so there wont' be any discussion, in a gaming discussion forum. You look like an ass hat, man.

Dontero

Banned
And that is a good thing. The more Sony and rest miss the more games i have on my PC.
I bought PS4 to play Nier, Persona and Bloodborne finished those and sold it. No game since grabed me to even consider buying it.

Last edited:

cireza

It seems to me that Sony has taken a route where they want to make few impressive, cinematic games and that's it. I don't care about Sony anyway, but I understand that some might be disappointed.

iconmaster

Banned
They are winning the gen, though.

It's always possible (and even somewhat historically likely) that the success is going to their heads and will lead to fumbling the PS5. It's hard to criticize the leadership too much until that happens, though.

OP's post includes a bit of broader commentary on Sony as a whole, which I can't really speak to except to say that, yes, gaming does seem to be one of the few things they're succeeding at right now.

ZywyPL

Banned
Depends on the perspective. From a consumer point of view, sure, they're not even trying, too busy counting cash from PS+ and 3rd party games. But that leads to the business point of view - no other PS console has ever made so much money as PS4 did and still does, so they're obviously doing something right.

Selling 100 million in 5 and a half years is "Worst leadership Playstation ever had"

Were you around for the PS3 launch/early days?
A good captain is judged in the storm, y'know...

Jack Tretton did tremendous efforts to turn the tides.

Sony got lucky this gen. Luck != good leadership

Hinedorf

Banned
These are far and away my favorite topics just due to the shitposter gif's we get, I can't contain my laughter at work.

93xfan

Banned
Add to that long list their complete lack of BC.

I get PS3, but no reason they couldn’t have hired people to make a decent emulator for PS1 and PS2 games.

Well i agree about you on the games side, i remeber the diverse games, small and big from first party studios, Folklore, Afrika, MotorStorm, Siren, The Last Guy, Tokyo Jungle.
Japan Studios was utilized well, now they are making VR shit and Knack. And why is there no info on what Project Siren is doing.
The PS3 was my favorite console simply due to how much strange stuff was on it.

It feels like Sony has almost forgoten it's japanese branch over the last few years. Thats sad for me, but i get that most people like the current exclusives that they are putting out, but it was not the reason for me and a lot of others that got into it for all the strange shit they where puting out. So to ridicule OP and dismiss him as a troll i find stupid.

CyberPanda

Banned
The new guy they put at the head of the PlayStation division doesn’t instill much confidence to the previous people that were in charge imo.

I think Playstation is a very strong brand in 2019.

It's true that Microsoft bought new studios, but that doesn't mean they will produce games worth a crap. The cultural significance of Gears of War and Halo has been greatly diminished. I think Forza is the biggest exclusive must-have that Microsoft currently has. And obviously, as a Racing game that game is a major achievement, but it falls short next to Playstations IPs. You just cannot get a compelling experience like The Last of Us or God of War on Xbox. And there is nothing to look forward to that is on the level of Ghost of Tsushima or Death Stranding.
PlayStation is on another level. They have the hearts of the hardcore gamers and the numbers and userbase of the casuals.

Microsoft and Nintendo combine forces as a response to Playstations dominance. That's the only reason. And I think the whole idea that late PS3 was better managed than PS4 is crazy. PS3 had a shitty ending to its life outside of TLOU. Beyond Two Souls, Rain, Ratchet and Clank, GT6 and whatever else they peddled that year, didn't exactly stand the test of time. I'd say that those games (except for the TLOU) got blown the fuck out by the multiplatform games like MGS:R, AC Black Flag, Aliens Colonial Marines, BF4 and GTA5...

It will be interesting to see if Sony decides to get new talent/studios. Right now we don't know what their direction and focus will be for the "next generation". We don't know if Sony will pull something unexpected out of its hat with regards to Streaming, Cloud, VR, Mixed Reality or other. Microsoft taking it more seriously now after a half-assed reveal followed by a generation of damage control should make it more interesting for consumers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The time to hit Sony hard on criticizing censorship is after pS5 is announced and theyre doing tons of press and interviews trying to compete for your money. Constant tweets and pressure

leo-j

They got the best first party line up ever for a playstation console generation.

The best Version of PSN ever.

Currently, the best cloud streaming game subscription serivce, with by far the most game content with 750 plus games.

Oh and PSN alone is generating more money than all of Nintendo.

And they are selling on par with the switch world wide, despite being 299 for an eternity.

They aren’t doomed, this is the best they have ever looked since the peak ps2 era.

Seems some people forgot the early PS3 leadership with it's hyperbole and straight-out lies:

1. You don't need a computer anymore it does everything.
2. Up to 120fps
3. Constant 1080p, 4D graphics
4. Riiiddggeee Raacceerrrr!!!!!
5. $599 us dollars, can't afford it? Get a second job! (Also don't advertise the cheaper priced option??)
6. Remote play gives you the "same" graphics on PSP.
7. Our BR drive is "super fast".
8. We will put out a patch to make install unnecessary.
9. Realistic game based on real life Japanese history!...So here's this Giant enemy crab.
10. If you find a PS3 on the shelf I'll give you $1200.

That was Sony's worst leadership. They didn't just effect PlayStation either, that administration was baadddd...

This in comparison is nothing. Censorship is the biggest issue, nothing else is close to as bad as the first 3-3.5 years of PS3.

Arkage

Banned
All this shitting on ND and Uncharted is pretty funny. Maybe they make those games because they're blockbuster franchises that sell amazingly and review amazingly. And there is such a glut of indie games that if you really want that "niche" itch I really don't why in the world you want Sony to be the one to fill that. Go buy niche game #524984 released on the story this year.

they stop making arcade racers. shooters. platformers.

Maybe that's because Driveclub, Killzone 4 and Knack were commercial failures?

Also Detroit, Dreams, Medieval, TLG, Gravity Rush 2, etc. Plenty of niche stuff.

Jack Tretton was an alpha male leader:

Shawn Layden seems like a beta/soy boy to me. He hasn't done anything remarkable for the PS brand.

Did I teleport to 4chan?

Last edited:
I don't see how anyone can disagree with what am saying. we had jack tretton and andrew house bringing PS3 back from the grave with so many cool consistently good announcements from 2010-2013. and they launch PS4 successfully yay and then Sony starts to close studios under the new garbage leadership. regress in every way. and compete in fields they have no business competing in (cloud gaming and ip tv streaming). and now we're here.

you remember these kevin butler ads? they were so funny. and one time he came on stage. and jack was such a good speaker

and we have sean layden. comes out. talks about idealistic nonsense that has nothing to do with anything. he could be in a ted talk about philosophy for all I can tell. and then leaves

I have supported this company's consoles since ps1. ps2 and ps3. and ps4 initially. but I'd say by the end of 2016 it started to change under layden and kodera. started to look doomy and gloomy. and generic to me. they looked like they just want to coast with the same announcements for years. upon years. and here we are. we saw days gone in what. 4 years of events? 3 for the other games?. really fun. really interesting to look forward for your events. no thanks. I don't want to listen to the sack of shit that is shawn layden .hes not a good speaker. hes not fun to listen to. and he says nothing interesting. and none of what he says has to do with anything

Sony made more moves in the playstation division when they were almost bankrupt than they are doing now. when they brought over 10bn in revenue last quarter

I like how we can count the number of great exclusives this generation on like two hands. but hey. the fanboys will still say its the best ever because its more than microsoft right? thats such a good way to make arguments.

what happened to the focus on games? they are creating a new studio to milk uncharted even more. how many more uncharted games do we need?. we have uncharted with zombies. uncharted with dad and daughter and zombies. uncharted with axeman and son. and soon to be uncharted with sword man in japan.

even shuhei yoshida himself said that their games look the same nowdays I can't remember when or where he said it. but I heard him say that in an interview a year or two ago.

I used to follow the brand a lot even when I didn't buy the games. well I followed most brands tbh when it comes to gaming. but playstation the most. I can tell you right now am no longer interested in tuning to E3 or whatever event year after year to see the same games be rolled through for 3-4 years straight. am done with that.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us...LUSIVESCAT/2?direction=desc&sort=release_date

thats right there is this generations exclusive line up. and half of these came to other platforms or are crap downloadables. thats how good console gaming is nowdays thats how pathetic it is. but oh well. thats just what happens when PS+ brings in the revenue. who needs games? ask microsoft in 2011. they did the same thing
I agree with all of this except between wii u and switch nintendo still has plenty of great exclusives unlike sony and MS.

Not looking too good for sony, no doubt.

Last edited:
Seems some people forgot the early PS3 leadership with it's hyperbole and straight-out lies:

1. You don't need a computer anymore it does everything.
2. Up to 120fps
3. Constant 1080p, 4D graphics
5. $599 us dollars, can't afford it? Get a second job! (Also don't advertise the cheaper priced option??)
6. Remote play gives you the "same" graphics on PSP.
7. Our BR drive is "super fast".
8. We will put out a patch to make install unnecessary.
9. Realistic game based on real life Japanese history!...So here's this Giant enemy crab.
10. If you find a PS3 on the shelf I'll give you $1200.

That was Sony's worst leadership. They didn't just effect PlayStation either, that administration was baadddd...

This in comparison is nothing. Censorship is the biggest issue, nothing else is close to as bad as the first 3-3.5 years of PS3.
And that's exactly why the PS3 era was the best IMHO.

Bad sales -> fanservice

Fanservice >>> Good sales

XBOX ONE is the equivalent of PS3 for Microsoft. Tons of fanservice (free BC, services etc.) there as well...

PS4 is the equivalent of XBOX 360 for Sony. Good sales -> arrogance -> not a lot of fanservice.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
and now losing exclusives to PC

Diablo
System Shock
Deus Ex
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Planescape Torment

All these old PC franchises on PS4 now. But yes you will be able to play David Cage's games on the Epic Games Store which I also hugely support :messenger_bicep: Sony and Epic are running a train on the industry right now.

thelastword

Banned
from being asinine about crossplay, censorship, and now losing exclusives to PC. having nintendo and microsoft potentially play buddies as we have seen in some games now is just not a good look for the brand no matter which side your on or how you look at it.
1.) Who is doing crossplay better than Sony, does the MCC have crossplay?
2.) Which exclusives did Sony lose to PC, meaning, it's no longer coming to a PS platform?
3.) What does Sony have to do with who MS or Nintendo decide to partner or collaborate with?

I don't know what they are thinking. but I think they believe that they won this gen because of their cinematic games or something. and not the fact that microsoft had a big blunder. many big blunders at the start of the generation
Which generation did MS win? How many have they won in a row? Sony only won because of MS blunders, yet, the ony time such a statement can be made is for Sony and it's PS3, Wii won because of Sony's blunders and not even close to the margin PS4 is outpacing XBOX this generation......It's the only generation Sony didn't win because they laucnhed with a $600, that never really tapered off in price like the PS2 before it.....Don't try to pretend Sony only won because MS dropped the ball....It's factually incorrect......MS will lose again next gen, and yes, it will be because of the cinematic bullshit games that persons like you hate so vehemently on an online forum, yet sells millions upon millions of copies...I guess to lemmings right?

Sony lost a lot of 2nd party and potential 3rd party games when microsoft acquired 5 studios. to Sony's 0 so far. infact sony has closed 5 studios since 2012.
Whilst MS bought Compulsion games, Inxile, Undead labs, Ninja theory etc.....Sony has been expanding Guerilla, Naughty and Santa Monica to multiple studios, they're repositioning San Diego and other studios to work on new franchises, they have invested in some new franchises/ip's for next gen, solidified some partnerships, like the good working relationship with Insomniac, Kojima etc and are building up a stable of top VR studios like Team Astro, London Studio etc....And I'm not even going to mention the other studios under SWWS, which are many.....You can't be so misinformed or rather ignorant of such basic knowledge and yet wish to argue about it......

you have divisions like Sony music that made less money than playstation for for ever. make a 2.3 Billion dollar acquirement. but Sony playstation division is too afraid to make a few tens of million dollar investments into strengthening the platform. again. idc how you look at it. when your doing well you look for growth. Sony playstation division is probably scared to fund a damn game that they dont already have seen do well. they literally asked people to crowdfund shenmue 3 a few years back which imo was pathetic. you really couldn't throw in that few million dollars in?.
Why, Sony will still get all Sega's games, they have a good relationship with Sega and even Capcom and they had a good relationship with Atlus too...Should they just buy every company in existence or fund every game? How are they going to fund said games and acquisitions and mainitain many expanding first parties and of course their R&D for PS5 all at the same time?

"only on playstation". crash bandicoot now multiplat. same with spyro. some of their actually owned IPs are now on PC and potentially other platforms. its looking weak brand wise imo.
Crash is not Sony's IP, neither is Spyro.....What do you want them to do, the remakes were successful, lots of people played them and most copies were sold on PS, it's a win win.....It's not good business to buy everything from under the competition...You cannot and should not fund, buy and block everything from the competition even if the IP is not yours...MS bought a whole lot of exclusivity last gen and they still did not win the generation, over half of their console installbase were rrod machines.......Yet if that's not telling enough for you, which company in gaming history just eschewed any studio that showed good talent, just outright bought them annnnnnnnnd what happened? I'm talking EA, bought so many promising studios only to take them to the back.....PAP-EA.jpg anyone? When you buy so many studios, how are you manging them and ensuring quality is maintained? That's difficult to keep in check, even worse when EA forces their vision on said devs, all open world, microtransaction galore, dlc barraging and openworld or bust, SP has gone the way of the dodo syndrome...Frankly, Sony has enough studios, they don't need no more......

they started "Sort of" the whole streaming on console movement with ps now in 2013. now they got google and microsoft to chip in with their services. and its obvious that Sony can't compete with 1tn dollar tech companies that have world wide networking infrastructure that Sony does not have access to. lets be real. PS now performance wise will most definitely be worse than google or microsoft. Sony does not own world wide data centers like them. not even close.
Just like Sony could not compete with MS this gen or in any other gen prio....r I mean these guys have all that money.......Stadia is just so much better in quality and latency than PSNOW right?.....Somehow I've heard this before, but fables and fream fantasies is not reality....I'm sure MS or Google or Apple or Amazon should just buy Sony and Nintendo and all the competition and just rule the earth right?

Seems like either Sony as a corporation is taking Sony playstation's entire money that they are making. and putting it into the money losing phone division. and the growth of other divisions. or the leadership of the playstation division is just that inept really. I think Shawn layden is just an inept weak leader imo. we heard him talk. hes never held a big position. and hes playing it safe. hes not taking any risks because he doesn't know what to do if he fails. thats what my assessment is. you had andrew house literally make a partnership with Kojima right before he left when he left a big power position. and the inept shawn layden can't even keep his words up "we will communicate more with you" thats what he said last year. we literally haven't heard him say anything for a year. they canceled two events after that. was it a meme?.
Is that the root of your issue then? That Sony is not communicating enough......So what do you want them to do, buy more studios they don't need and can't afford and just keep feeding you new news everyweek...Perhaps Shawn should have a personal line fed straight to your brain telling you of what Sony has planned for the next billion years......

you have atlus, a company that just made you one of the best japanese games exclusive on your console. be acquired by a fellow japanese company. sega. Sega has a market cap of like 2 billion dollars. Sony market cap is 50 billion dollars. how does Sega manage to acquire atlus but not you? I do not understand??.
The games will still come to Sony's consoles, what you think is going to happen, they will go XBOX exclusive and sell billions of copies on the XBOX installbase in Japan....Come on man, that's not going to happen....Let persona sell more copies, expand on the number of persons who play it on PC, XBOX, NIntendo, it will still sell truckloads more on PS anyway and besides, It was never a Sony owned IP......Times are changing, companies want as much sales for their franchises, it's also a long running franchise which may not be selling as much as prior entries, things change, decisions change and evolve.....In any case, Sony has enough of it's own IP's to manage instead of delving into acquiring more from third parties....

I might be alone here but thats my opinion. obviously some of you don't really care about the longevity of the traditional console culture or the playstation brand. which is fair.
I'm sure you're not alone, just based on the mere fact that you're arguing about Sony in that light, the cinematic games, the censorship and crossplay talking points.....I'm sure you will get a bandwagon of support from genuine persons :messenger_hushed: on said hot topics alone........

Really? That's interesting, strange even, but I digress.....Sony was the first console maker to do game streaming and they have been at it since July 2014.......Anything you see now from Google or MS or Walmart or Amazon is a reaction to Sony......Sony is also the only console manufacturer with VR, both features sucessful at that, but I'm sure when MS or Google does it, it will be all the rage even prior to release, because "deep pockets".....I still remember when OG XBOX was coming to eat Sony and Nintendo's lunch in the console space......Yeah MS surely massacred these companies whole....:messenger_smirking: Those deep pockets knows no end to the slayage....

Kevin was never funny to me tbh, I guess in your estimation if Kevin was still around PS4 would have sold 200 million units, the power of that man...Hell, I'd prefer Cerny to market PS over Kevin Buttler anyday, Cerny can really sooth you into being hyped for a piece of hardware....Yet, didn't I hear in the rumormill, that Jerry Lambert aka Kevin Butler was sued by Sony for breaching his contract, also heard he kinda have a bit of an attitude too......Don't fall for the so called fake funny guys, there's always something underlying.....

Oh, and just so you know I'm not just throwing that out there, I absolutely loved Tretton, but again your arguments are so left field.....People change jobs and move on for so many different reasons......Tretton was a great speaker and humble soul, we can't always do the same thing forever, so I'm really opposed to the notion that Tretton should have stayed because I loved him, which means House would never get a chance and House should never leave so Layden gets his chance....It's the world it rotates, that's fine......I liked House 2, but most of the cogs were already in motion when Layden came in.....I think he's done a great job so far, it will eb better to judge Layden by what he brings to the table for PS5, than judge him for PS4....PS4 is on an unstoppable course and it will end very well for that console.....So there's not much Layden really has to do for PS4 than to ensure the last four big hits for the console hit it out of the park with lots of polish and good quality.....Seems like, he's a man of his word. Days Gone just keeps on looking better and better, and that's the first one.....

I played the best arcade racer this gen in DC, so don't know what youre talking about....Sony has not really focused on platformers since PS2/PS2, so where were you.......And the Uncharted+GOW statement just solidified that you're trolling......No Niche games? Did you play matterfall, speaking of platformers "Atrobot", Dreams Beta, upcoming Concrete Genie, Detroit and so many more like Storm Divers, Alienation, Nex Machina....So it's like this you say there are no platformers, no niche games, when there are a tonne actually....Astrobot is the best platformer this entire generation and for many generations prior....So I guess, you'll say you don't like these games, just like you don't like every single AAA game that comes out of Sony's stable, which you deem cinematic and not for you......So there's a problem, but it's definitely not Sony.....The fact that you consider GOW an Uncharted clone is telling enough and that you being a bit trollish and disingenuous here....

Well that quote gave me a good chuckle.........So I guess you are just down on games then, because if these exclusives can't do it for you, I wonder what you are playing and prefer to play? And please get that Shuhei Yoshida quote please....

Well in as much as you are frothing at the mouth for news, it seems you're not paying attention.....PS will not be at E3...Ironically, are you not tuning to E3 because PS won't be there perhaps? Hilarious stuff tbh......I guess if Sony isn't doing it for you, then go full fledged MS or PC or take a break, your descriptions of Sony's games are not too factual or on point, so perhaps you should go be a game's journalist, instead of playing and "loving" games....Maybe there's no love there anymore....

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Attack the argument, not the person.
1.) Who is doing crossplay better than Sony, does the MCC have crossplay?
2.) Which exclusives did Sony lose to PC, meaning, it's no longer coming to a PS platform?
3.) What does Sony have to do with who MS or Nintendo decide to partner or collaborate with?

Which generation did MS win? How many have they won in a row? Sony only won because of MS blunders, yet, the ony time such a statement can be made is for Sony and it's PS3, Wii won because of Sony's blunders and not even close to the margin PS4 is outpacing XBOX this generation......It's the only generation Sony didn't win because they laucnhed with a $600, that never really tapered off in price like the PS2 before it.....Don't try to pretend Sony only won because MS dropped the ball....It's factually incorrect......MS will lose again next gen, and yes, it will be because of the cinematic bullshit games that persons like you hate so vehemently on an online forum, yet sells millions upon millions of copies...I guess to lemmings right?

Whilst MS bought Compulsion games, Inxile, Undead labs, Ninja theory etc.....Sony has been expanding Guerilla, Naughty and Santa Monica to multiple studios, they're repositioning San Diego and other studios to work on new franchises, they have invested in some new franchises/ip's for next gen, solidified some partnerships, like the good working relationship with Insomniac, Kojima etc and are building up a stable of top VR studios like Team Astro, London Studio etc....And I'm not even going to mention the other studios under SWWS, which are many.....You can't be so misinformed or rather ignorant of such basic knowledge and yet wish to argue about it......

Why, Sony will still get all Sega's games, they have a good relationship with Sega and even Capcom and they had a good relationship with Atlus too...Should they just buy every company in existence or fund every game? How are they going to fund said games and acquisitions and mainitain many expanding first parties and of course their R&D for PS5 all at the same time?

Crash is not Sony's IP, neither is Spyro.....What do you want them to do, the remakes were successful, lots of people played them and most copies were sold on PS, it's a win win.....It's not good business to buy everything from under the competition...You cannot and should not fund, buy and block everything from the competition even if the IP is not yours...MS bought a whole lot of exclusivity last gen and they still did not win the generation, over half of their console installbase were rrod machines.......Yet if that's not telling enough for you, which company in gaming history just eschewed any studio that showed good talent, just outright bought them annnnnnnnnd what happened? I'm talking EA, bought so many promising studios only to take them to the back.....PAP-EA.jpg anyone? When you buy so many studios, how are you manging them and ensuring quality is maintained? That's difficult to keep in check, even worse when EA forces their vision on said devs, all open world, microtransaction galore, dlc barraging and openworld or bust, SP has gone the way of the dodo syndrome...Frankly, Sony has enough studios, they don't need no more......

Just like Sony could not compete with MS this gen or in any other gen prio....r I mean these guys have all that money.......Stadia is just so much better in quality and latency than PSNOW right?.....Somehow I've heard this before, but fables and fream fantasies is not reality....I'm sure MS or Google or Apple or Amazon should just buy Sony and Nintendo and all the competition and just rule the earth right?

Is that the root of your issue then? That Sony is not communicating enough......So what do you want them to do, buy more studios they don't need and can't afford and just keep feeding you new news everyweek...Perhaps Shawn should have a personal line fed straight to your brain telling you of what Sony has planned for the next billion years......

The games will still come to Sony's consoles, what you think is going to happen, they will go XBOX exclusive and sell billions of copies on the XBOX installbase in Japan....Come on man, that's not going to happen....Let persona sell more copies, expand on the number of persons who play it on PC, XBOX, NIntendo, it will still sell truckloads more on PS anyway and besides, It was never a Sony owned IP......Times are changing, companies want as much sales for their franchises, it's also a long running franchise which may not be selling as much as prior entries, things change, decisions change and evolve.....In any case, Sony has enough of it's own IP's to manage instead of delving into acquiring more from third parties....

I'm sure you're not alone, just based on the mere fact that you're arguing about Sony in that light, the cinematic games, the censorship and crossplay talking points.....I'm sure you will get a bandwagon of support from genuine persons :messenger_hushed: on said hot topics alone........

Really? That's interesting, strange even, but I digress.....Sony was the first console maker to do game streaming and they have been at it since July 2014.......Anything you see now from Google or MS or Walmart or Amazon is a reaction to Sony......Sony is also the only console manufacturer with VR, both features sucessful at that, but I'm sure when MS or Google does it, it will be all the rage even prior to release, because "deep pockets".....I still remember when OG XBOX was coming to eat Sony and Nintendo's lunch in the console space......Yeah MS surely massacred these companies whole....:messenger_smirking: Those deep pockets knows no end to the slayage....

Kevin was never funny to me tbh, I guess in your estimation if Kevin was still around PS4 would have sold 200 million units, the power of that man...Hell, I'd prefer Cerny to market PS over Kevin Buttler anyday, Cerny can really sooth you into being hyped for a piece of hardware....Yet, didn't I hear in the rumormill, that Jerry Lambert aka Kevin Butler was sued by Sony for breaching his contract, also heard he kinda have a bit of an attitude too......Don't fall for the so called fake funny guys, there's always something underlying.....

Oh, and just so you know I'm not just throwing that out there, I absolutely loved Tretton, but again your arguments are so left field.....People change jobs and move on for so many different reasons......Tretton was a great speaker and humble soul, we can't always do the same thing forever, so I'm really opposed to the notion that Tretton should have stayed because I loved him, which means House would never get a chance and House should never leave so Layden gets his chance....It's the world it rotates, that's fine......I liked House 2, but most of the cogs were already in motion when Layden came in.....I think he's done a great job so far, it will eb better to judge Layden by what he brings to the table for PS5, than judge him for PS4....PS4 is on an unstoppable course and it will end very well for that console.....So there's not much Layden really has to do for PS4 than to ensure the last four big hits for the console hit it out of the park with lots of polish and good quality.....Seems like, he's a man of his word. Days Gone just keeps on looking better and better, and that's the first one.....

I played the best arcade racer this gen in DC, so don't know what youre talking about....Sony has not really focused on platformers since PS2/PS2, so where were you.......And the Uncharted+GOW statement just solidified that you're trolling......No Niche games? Did you play matterfall, speaking of platformers "Atrobot", Dreams Beta, upcoming Concrete Genie, Detroit and so many more like Storm Divers, Alienation, Nex Machina....So it's like this you say there are no platformers, no niche games, when there are a tonne actually....Astrobot is the best platformer this entire generation and for many generations prior....So I guess, you'll say you don't like these games, just like you don't like every single AAA game that comes out of Sony's stable, which you deem cinematic and not for you......So there's a problem, but it's definitely not Sony.....The fact that you consider GOW an Uncharted clone is telling enough and that you being a bit trollish and disingenuous here....

Well that quote gave me a good chuckle.........So I guess you are just down on games then, because if these exclusives can't do it for you, I wonder what you are playing and prefer to play? And please get that Shuhei Yoshida quote please....

Well in as much as you are frothing at the mouth for news, it seems you're not paying attention.....PS will not be at E3...Ironically, are you not tuning to E3 because PS won't be there perhaps? Hilarious stuff tbh......I guess if Sony isn't doing it for you, then go full fledged MS or PC or take a break, your descriptions of Sony's games are not too factual or on point, so perhaps you should go be a game's journalist, instead of playing and "loving" games....Maybe there's no love there anymore....

Why do I laugh hysterically everytime I see the sheer length of TLW's posts? I haven't even read it yet...I'll edit this post when I'm done.

Edit: I just don't have the time to respond to all this. I do have a question though. has anybody actually wonder what would TLW do if Sony actually started losing next gen? Like think about it. Say there is a reverse of this gen and Xbox is selling 2 to 1. I feel like this would cause like a rift in the space time continuum because TLW is trying to actively traverse to an alternative universe where Sony is still winning.

Entertaining to say the least.

Last edited:

nowhat

The PS3 launch was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, there's no denying it. One often forgotten aspect of it is that despite the outrageous price, each console was sold at a loss. We're not talking about "a single game or year of PS+ and we'll break even" loss like PS4 at launch - at the time, standalone BluRay players cost from around $1000 upwards to give a ballbark. This nearly bankrupted if not the entire Sony corporation, at the very least the gaming division. Compared to it, the One launch is more akin to having toilet paper stuck to a shoe at the reveal event. Having said that...

Oh come on, both of those things are objectively awesome. And have been a steady source of meme fodder ever since.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Alright I'll play, let's tackle these points one at a time:

from being asinine about crossplay, censorship, and now losing exclusives to PC. having nintendo and microsoft potentially play buddies as we have seen in some games now is just not a good look for the brand no matter which side your on or how you look at it.

The only thing people really cared about regarding crossplay was Fortnite, and that only blew up after months of MS agitating on the issue for their own benefit. Ironically of course now Epic themselves have segregated Switch players off from the other console platforms, so in the end it was all about nothing!

The reality is that Sony were offering crossplay with PC from the start of the gen. The only thing they had an issue with was cross-console play, which made perfect business sense as noone with half a brain would want
to help out their competition for zero gain for themselves.

This treatment of PC as a non-direct competitor explains in no uncertain terms why they wouldn't have major issues of older exclusives making their way onto PC.

I'm not going to dignify the censorship claim with a response, Its laughable fanboy FUD. Most of all though it has no impact on the business aspects.

MS publishing on Nintendo is a sideshow. When Halo, Gears. etc are on Switch (and not via streaming) then we can call them "buddies".

But in any case, what has this got to do with Sony? They aren't responsible for every move their competitors make, and what are they supposed to do ny way of response anyway? Port their titles onto Switch too, isn't that the same sign of weakness that allowing PC ports is?

Make your fucking mind up! Because it seems to me that the only consistent throughline here is that there's one rule for Sony and another for everyone else.

I don't know what they are thinking. but I think they believe that they won this gen because of their cinematic games or something. and not the fact that microsoft had a big blunder. many big blunders at the start of the generation

Their major first and second party output this gen has been tremendously successful both critically and commercially. They haven't consistently over-promised and under-delivered, which has been MS story all gen long.

Sony lost a lot of 2nd party and potential 3rd party games when microsoft acquired 5 studios. to Sony's 0 so far. infact sony has closed 5 studios since 2012.

That you have to go back to 2012 shows how flimsy your argument is. Despite all their acquisitions what has actually materialized thus far? What killer I.P. have MS gained, and how do you square studio acquisitions with less flashy but more impactful choices like expanding facilities and headcount at extant dev-sites?

You seem unable to distinguish between PR spin and actual action.

you have divisions like Sony music that made less money than playstation for for ever. make a 2.3 Billion dollar acquirement. but Sony playstation division is too afraid to make a few tens of million dollar investments into strengthening the platform. again. idc how you look at it. when your doing well you look for growth. Sony playstation division is probably scared to fund a damn game that they dont already have seen do well. they literally asked people to crowdfund shenmue 3 a few years back which imo was pathetic. you really couldn't throw in that few million dollars in?.

"only on playstation". crash bandicoot now multiplat. same with spyro. some of their actually owned IPs are now on PC and potentially other platforms. its looking weak brand wise imo.

they started "Sort of" the whole streaming on console movement with ps now in 2013. now they got google and microsoft to chip in with their services. and its obvious that Sony can't compete with 1tn dollar tech companies that have world wide networking infrastructure that Sony does not have access to. lets be real. PS now performance wise will most definitely be worse than google or microsoft. Sony does not own world wide data centers like them. not even close.

Seems like either Sony as a corporation is taking Sony playstation's entire money that they are making. and putting it into the money losing phone division. and the growth of other divisions. or the leadership of the playstation division is just that inept really. I think Shawn layden is just an inept weak leader imo. we heard him talk. hes never held a big position. and hes playing it safe. hes not taking any risks because he doesn't know what to do if he fails. thats what my assessment is. you had andrew house literally make a partnership with Kojima right before he left when he left a big power position. and the inept shawn layden can't even keep his words up "we will communicate more with you" thats what he said last year. we literally haven't heard him say anything for a year. they canceled two events after that. was it a meme?.

you have atlus, a company that just made you one of the best japanese games exclusive on your console. be acquired by a fellow japanese company. sega. Sega has a market cap of like 2 billion dollars. Sony market cap is 50 billion dollars. how does Sega manage to acquire atlus but not you? I do not understand??.

I might be alone here but thats my opinion. obviously some of you don't really care about the longevity of the traditional console culture or the playstation brand. which is fair.

they did not play to their strengths and focus on even increasing their games even more. and Shawn layden comes out with a comment on Cnet "we want to make less, bigger games". sorry there buddy but nobody wants a game to take more than the 5 years god of war took. there is just nothing exciting going on for this brand for such a long time now

Now this is all just blatanly silly stuff. I'm sorry.

Just because they aren't spinning every move they make as "the next big thing" it doesn't mean they are standing still! How much hype do they need when they are already the market leader?

Has it occurred to you that Xbox is only making so much noise because they are third in a field of three and desperately need to show improvement? Why should Sony be buying studios left-and-right when they have enough product currently?

Their release schedule is already filled out to the end of the generation. Seriously: Dreams, Days Gone, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Death Stranding is more than enough to take them through til 2020. And that's a far from exhaustive list, it especially disregards their work in VR, a field that neither of their competitors seem especially interested in exploring.

But again... this apparently doesn't matter. Because

You slag -off Layden, based on what? You don't like the way he talks? Hardly a rational basis is it! So why should I care.

Its like you bemoaning that you don't like the style of games that have been Sony's mainstay this gen. Why exactly should anyone consider that a meaningful critique of a business strategy when it is demonstrably paying off in spades?

This is why you're getting called out for making fanboyish arguments.

Your points are petty and small-minded, as in based on the premise that your tastes are some sort of global gold-standard to be adhered to. Not true.

There's a marked lack of consistency and impartiality in your criticism, PC getting Sony titles is bad, but NIntendo getting MS-published titles is good?

You seem to care more about hype than action. Streaming is going to be huge, but Sony despite having been the first to that market by literally years doesn't count. Buying studios is huge, but lets just ignore how long games take to make and the dearth of product in the meantime isn't an issue.

Most of all, its just really juvenile. Corporate strategy is based on profit/loss and general economic efficiency. not bragging rights and keeping forum-posters happy.

Ehhhh... I could go on more but I already feel like a fool for spending this long rebutting your nonsense.

The PS3 launch was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, there's no denying it. One often forgotten aspect of it is that despite the outrageous price, each console was sold at a loss. We're not talking about "a single game or year of PS+ and we'll break even" loss like PS4 at launch - at the time, standalone BluRay players cost from around $1000 upwards to give a ballbark. This nearly bankrupted if not the entire Sony corporation, at the very least the gaming division. Compared to it, the One launch is more akin to having toilet paper stuck to a shoe at the reveal event. Having said that...

Oh come on, both of those things are objectively awesome. And have been a steady source of meme fodder ever since.

They were so awesome it made people cancel their pre-orders and made q4 launch a disaster at Sony its funny now because PS3 is discontinued and it's in retrospect.

Yep, you are right. Remember when they were saying how the cell processor would be in your home appliances, washing machines, and fridges.

That's because it can calculate on par with super computers. In fact they were going to have two cells in the PS3 at one point. Gotta get that 4D, 120fps in Q*Bert 1983.

nowhat

They were so awesome it made people cancel their pre-orders and made q4 launch a disaster at Sony its funny now because PS3 is discontinued and it's in retrospect.
Uhh, any reference for that? At least "Riiiiidge Racer" was about running PS1 games on PSP (which apparently works very well, haven't tried it) - while the delivery was equal parts cringy and hilarious, what does that have to do with PS3 preorders?

I should think the price tag combined with the super arrogant attempt at rationalizing it played a larger part.

ph33rknot

Banned
Troll thread? It is the second time the same user do a Sony evil anti-consumer identical thread.

And you know consumers disagree with you.

Yeap... let’s play... oh wait I can’t play these games on PC... dammit.

Evil Sony stole even my choice to transition to PC :(
nt
isn't ps + on pc

Uhh, any reference for that? At least "Riiiiidge Racer" was about running PS1 games on PSP (which apparently works very well, haven't tried it) - while the delivery was equal parts cringy and hilarious, what does that have to do with PS3 preorders?

I should think the price tag combined with the super arrogant attempt at rationalizing it played a larger part.

You must not have been online then, massive upset about the conference and potential buyers weren't laughing at enemy crabs, RR, or $599 as thise broke the camel's back for many people.

nowhat

You must not have been online then, massive upset about the conference and potential buyers weren't laughing at enemy crabs, RR, or $599 as thise broke the camel's back for many people.
I've been online since mid-90s, but no, didn't keep up with the post-conference debate. I'm still more convinced that the price and how there was absolutely no attempt in sugar-coating it played a larger part than a PSP demonstration.

joe_zazen

sony AAA exclusives are very samey, and if you dont like that ‘ND serious narrative tps’ it is infuriating seeing them succeed.

It would be nice if they would throw some money into smaller projects, but when they did that in the past, no one cared (eg puppeteer, rapture). It is like with the movie industry. The only films that get buzz and excitment are the giant, super expensive formula films like every MCU turd. The 5 to 50 million dollar film has basically disappeared because people only want to see the biggest event movies. The same has happened in the aaa space.

Tbf, MS has bought some AA studios and told them to make some good games, so that is nice. Sony dont care about that AA stuff though, so I guess maybe look at getting into pc or the next xbox. Maybe google will give AA folks some money too, we’ll see in couple of months.

I will say there is some decent AA stuff from sony in psvr, which is why I havent booted my noisy as fuck pspro to the curb. That and my trophy cravings.

Ten_Fold

If Microsoft invested has heavy as they are now back in 2013 and never brought up the DRM and making Kinect a big thing then yeah Sony might’ve had a tougher fight. Right now Sony is in a good spot, good exclusives (I’m not a fan of most) they made the console simple enough to understand, It’s cool if Sony doesn’t want to cross play I personally never saw that as an issue. Anyways right now Sony is looking and seeing what Microsoft is doing and seeing how the google thing works out have some faith OP.

Dacon

Banned
To be fair, they're doing remarkably well with the exception of some pretty questionable decisions on censorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom