• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is likely my final gaming generation

I spend more time replayin
Switch is my most recent purchase, preceded by the PS4. Someday I may get a Switch revision or a PS4 Pro, but beyond that I probably won't buy another console.

Why? I already own 600 games on the shelf and another couple hundred games digitally (I haven't done a thorough count). These aren't space-fillers but are the games I plan to replay over and over again, only the best (according to my tastes, of course) that each system has to offer.

"But there are always more games to buy," I hear myself saying from just a few months ago.

Here's the thing: as I grow older I spend more time replaying old games instead of buying up all the new ones. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of games that I want to buy and play on the Switch and PS4, but I'm just as likely to pop in TMNT on Super Nintendo or Thunder Force IV on Genesis as I am to boot up Tekken 7 on the PS4. Since I'm more and more stingy with new releases, I find that I just... don't want to buy a lot of the new games coming out. It's not because I think they're bad. It's because I already have enough. I'm pretty close to satisfied with what I have. By the end of the Switch's life, I'll probably have another 100 games each for the Switch and PS4 but not much else beyond. And after that, I'll just play what I own with the occasional purchase once or twice a year.

Curious to hear if anyone has experienced this. It's not like I'm not gaming. I play games almost every day. I have a pretty big library. I'm still looking forward to plenty of upcoming games. I still love videogames. I just don't need to buy many of them anymore. I don't think the market is passing me by. The market is just too big for any one person to experience it all. So, I am happy with what I have.
Wow, great read. I can relate in some way.It may not be old games, but I tend to replay a lot of Souls games (Bloodborne included), and play a lot of Overwatch. But when playing a whole new game i always hesitate for some reason. It's like I have to learn how to play games every time i start a new one. Last unique game i beat was God of War. I loved it, and glad i played it right away instead of having it collect dust like many other games i have. But after that? Went back to familiar games. I have yet to play The Witcher 3, which people keep nagging me to play. But knowing that game is over 100 hours if you want to do many of it is intimidating lol.

I have trouble believing that you're being honest with yourself, here. If you rotated through your collection and played 1 new game per day, it would take almost 2 years to get through it all. It's nearly impossible from a time management perspective for you to put any kind of meaningful time into each and every one of those games, regularly and repeatedly. Maybe if you have your life setup so you have time to game 6-8 hours per day, most days (and can continue that throughout the rest of your life). But I'm guessing that's not the case.

If you're holding onto a huge chunk of those just so you can replay each of them for like 30 min once every 5 years, I think you might need to recalibrate your bar for keep vs. sell. A good exercise would be to keep track of which games you touch, and potentially for how long, over the course of 3-4 months. Get rid of anything you didn't touch. Keep track for a year total and consider ditching anything you played < 30-60 min. Just my 2 cents (full disclosure: I definitely skew a bit minimalist, but am trying to be impartial re: this particular case).

Anyway, to answer the actual question in the OP, if you haven't figured it out from the above, no I've never experienced that :) . I sell 95% of games when I'm done with them. I have ~40 games that I hold onto. If I get an urge to play an old game randomly that I don't have, I'll buy it again, play until I'm satisfied, and then sell it. That's only happened to me once or twice.

Man, I wish i was like that most of my life. I'm slowly becoming more of a digital person than physical due to lack of space (becoming a PC gamer helped for sure). Recently I sold over 200 old games on ebay, PS1, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360. I had too many lol. I kept them for so long due to having some sort of sentimentality for them, but in the end, at least for me, i realized it was doing more harm than good by keeping them for so long. Glad i did, still have a bunch of games i need to sell though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have trouble believing that you're being honest with yourself, here. If you rotated through your collection and played 1 new game per day, it would take almost 2 years to get through it all. It's nearly impossible from a time management perspective for you to put any kind of meaningful time into each and every one of those games, regularly and repeatedly. Maybe if you have your life setup so you have time to game 6-8 hours per day, most days (and can continue that throughout the rest of your life). But I'm guessing that's not the case.

If you're holding onto a huge chunk of those just so you can replay each of them for like 30 min once every 5 years, I think you might need to recalibrate your bar for keep vs. sell. A good exercise would be to keep track of which games you touch, and potentially for how long, over the course of 3-4 months. Get rid of anything you didn't touch. Keep track for a year total and consider ditching anything you played < 30-60 min. Just my 2 cents (full disclosure: I definitely skew a bit minimalist, but am trying to be impartial re: this particular case).

Anyway, to answer the actual question in the OP, if you haven't figured it out from the above, no I've never experienced that :) . I sell 95% of games when I'm done with them. I have ~40 games that I hold onto. If I get an urge to play an old game randomly that I don't have, I'll buy it again, play until I'm satisfied, and then sell it. That's only happened to me once or twice.
I'm not the only one playing my collection, for starters. My kids get to enjoy it, too, which adds some justification to the size of the collection. You have to realize that playing these games in their original form on original hardware is becoming more and more uncommon. It's worth hanging on to it if you already own it.

600 games might sound like a lot, but thats (on average) 50 games per console I own. So that's a typical "Top 50 games on _____" list and nothing more. I find it hard to believe that owning every game on a Top 50 list would be considered "impossible" to manage. I play anywhere from 5 to 15 hours of games a week, often taking a game off the shelf I haven't played in a while to show my kids or just to check it out myself. I don't sit down and allot my gaming time on a spreadsheet, though. That sounds like a miserable way to enjoy a videogame collection. Do you envision I have a library packed full of RPGs, open-world games, and story-driven adventures?

That's not the case. A good chunk of my games are focused on local multiplayer. I have friends over on a weekly basis. Plus, I mentioned the kids. Those aren't games that I play for 5 straight hours on my weekend. These are puzzle games and fighting games where I only invest a few hours every few weeks or months, depending on my mood.

It sounds like you're very comfortable with selling your games. I do understand that. I've gone through phases of buying and selling, but now I'm at the stage where I've already purged my collection enough times so that the stuff remaining is what I want to keep.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
You have to realize that playing these games in their original form on original hardware is becoming more and more uncommon. It's worth hanging on to it if you already own it.

Oh for sure, collecting for preservation/archival purposes is an entirely different matter.

So that's a typical "Top 50 games on _____" list and nothing more.

"nothing more" to me is the understatement of the century, haha. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to come off as criticizing, but I think that would be an uncommon opinion that every system's top 50 games are worth revisiting regularly (particularly on a 5-15 hour per week budget)

I don't sit down and allot my gaming time on a spreadsheet, though. That sounds like a miserable way to enjoy a videogame collection.

I was suggesting that as an temporary exercise to better examine your gaming habits and prove to yourself whether or not your collection is actually being used. That's all. Wasn't recommending turning it into a regular habit.

Do you envision I have a library packed full of RPGs, open-world games, and story-driven adventures?

That's not the case. A good chunk of my games are focused on local multiplayer. I have friends over on a weekly basis. Plus, I mentioned the kids. Those aren't games that I play for 5 straight hours on my weekend. These are puzzle games and fighting games where I only invest a few hours every few weeks or months, depending on my mood.

Fair enough. I was imagining that there's likely a representative mix of those things. Let's say, at least 200 of your 600. Perhaps your playing style is very different from mine, and you're totally satisfied jumping into those types of games for 30-60 minutes and then putting them down for a long time. Some games are definitely meant to be played that way, of course (puzzle games, fighters, racing games, multiplayer FPS, etc). And it sounds like (from that 2nd quote) that you do lean towards those.

Out of curiosity, what have you played in the past week?

Last edited by a moderator:

KiteGr

The reasons I, some times, think of quitting gaming have nothing to do with my backlog.

My actual reason is how the industry is changing. Namely:
  1. The Freemium mobile crap gaming.
  2. The over-reliance on DLC and the building of games around the monetization of that. (ex. Making all games Multiplayer)
  3. The hard push to go full digital and kill retail.
  4. Being unable to find time for it.

astroglide

.this is my last generation buying all consoles. Life just keeps me to busy. Next gen I will only get one. Most likely xbox. Nothing against the others just like xbox ecosystem better and have a lot inveated there.

I know where you're coming from OP and I can completely relate.

I've actually had a similar conversation with my mates. We all agreed that we could all stop buying new games tomorrow and still comfortably have enough amazing games in our libraries to keep us entertained until we are long since gone.

It's a good problem to have and it shows that you respect the medium and consider games to be more valuable than just disposable pieces of entertainment. I personally find it difficult to relate to the type of gamer who feels that games instantly lose their value once the marketing hype period has expired or is older than six months old. If a game was considered great ten years ago, it's just as great now; the compiled code hasn't magically changed over time.

Lately, my game spending habits have trended more towards retro game purchases (seventh gen and prior). It's impossible for the average working adult to discover (or even just briefly experience) all of the premiere game titles for a single game console during the course of that generation. And if you enjoy a mixture of genres and have multiple consoles/systems spanning across decades of gaming: that number of amazing titles becomes quantifiably large.

That said, I still play new games and currently my play time is almost equally split between the old and the new. But having a vast library of amazing games certainly diminishes the shine of a new impending generation and I can see why one could decide to pull up on the reigns.

I have over 3,000 games. I still play new games.

Why?

Example thought process:

“I love 90’s tv and I own a bunch of dvd’s. So, I’m just gonna rewatch Seinfeld, Friends, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the rest of my life cause I just don’t think anything new is worth the money.”

...and, that’s how people start to act old and out of touch, and miss out on a lot of really cool stuff.

I understand OP’s thought process...I’m 40 so I get it... but I don’t feel like it’s a good call, at least not for me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Oh for sure, collecting for preservation/archival purposes is an entirely different matter.

"nothing more" to me is the understatement of the century, haha. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to come off as criticizing, but I think that would be an uncommon opinion that every system's top 50 games are worth revisiting regularly (particularly on a 5-15 hour per week budget)

I was suggesting that as an temporary exercise to better examine your gaming habits and prove to yourself whether or not your collection is actually being used. That's all. Wasn't recommending turning it into a regular habit.
One of the reasons I built my collection is because I was sick of looking at my backlog (whether on Steam or on console) and wasting time wondering what I should play. Your advice is perfectly sound. It's merely that I've already followed it a couple of times, doing exactly that ("do I even play this any more?") to weed out the games that I haven't been playing. And I still do that on occasion, thought hardly as often as I used to. I consciously try not to buy for the sake of preservation, though. When I constrain the library to stuff I'll actually play and replay, it's much easier to say "no" to various purchases.

The "Top 50" thing was just an average, too. I only have ~20 games for systems like Wii U but I have over 100 for the DS. It just depends on how many games I like on the system. I do agree that grabbing a "Top 50" and obtaining all those games wouldn't be sensible, but remember these are my Top 50. I actually have huge gaps in my collection if we were going based on a popular Top 50: I don't own Super Metroid or Donkey Kong Country or Devil May Cry or any Mortal Kombat games or any Need for Speed or any Castlevania. I don't own any N64 or Gamecube titles at all. I only own about 5 games each for the PS1 and Dreamcast and that's how I'll keep it. Any true collector going for complete lists or even representative libraries would look through my collection and wonder "why don't you have ____" over and over again.

Fair enough. I was imagining that there's likely a representative mix of those things. Let's say, at least 200 of your 600. Perhaps your playing style is very different from mine, and you're totally satisfied jumping into those types of games for 30-60 minutes and then putting them down for a long time. Some games are definitely meant to be played that way, of course (puzzle games, fighters, racing games, multiplayer FPS, etc). And it sounds like (from that 2nd quote) that you do lean towards those.

Out of curiosity, what have you played in the past week?
If I was playing the typical diet of modern videogames, I agree that 600 games in rotation would be too much. You can only replay stories so many times. I don't play nearly as many RPGs or story-driven game as I used to. I do love them but it is no longer a good investment of my gaming time. So, it's not like I'm hopping from a Fallout 4 save file to Uncharted: LL to the newest AssCreed to a few rounds of Destiny 2 and then back for another 20 minutes in Fallout 4. My gaming habits are more along the lines of... well, I'll just answer your question at the end there:

This past week I played Turtles in Time on two different days, about 30m with my son and another 20m session by myself the following day. Didn't beat the game, but it was a fun time-waster. I've mostly been playing DDP DaiOuJou on my PS2, practicing for a 1-credit clear. On average, I put about 3 - 4 hours into it a week, usually in 30m chunks. This has been going on for months, so if I had to estimate I've probably invested 50+ hours into the game up to this point. It's a tough game to clear but I'm enjoying every step of the process. Earlier in the week (Wednesday?) I played for about 2 hours on my Saturn, cycling through a few puzzle games like Magical Drop, Baku Baku Animal, Puzzle Fighter, and then switched over to PS1 to play some Money Puzzle Exchanger. That was a lot of fun. I got X-Morph Defense in the mail so I played that for an hour or two to clear the tutorial and check out the game. I was playing Monster Hunter World pretty faithfully but that dropped off after I beat the end-game content.

You are correct: the type of games I play lend themselves to 20-30m bursts, although of course they can be played longer. This suits me perfectly. I rarely have a full hour at a time to devote to videogames, but 20-30m here or there? Easy.

I guess I exist in both worlds simultaneously as I play text MUDs still to this day, roguelikes like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Tales of Maj'Eyal, but I also have a TCL p605 with an Xbox 1 X and PS4 Pro. I can appreciate the classics like some BG2: EE (albeit on my 4k tv with a gaming lapboard) and then throw in some 4k HDR Ark on the X1X.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I know where you're coming from OP and I can completely relate.

I've actually had a similar conversation with my mates. We all agreed that we could all stop buying new games tomorrow and still comfortably have enough amazing games in our libraries to keep us entertained until we are long since gone.

It's a good problem to have and it shows that you respect the medium and consider games to be more valuable than just disposable pieces of entertainment. I personally find it difficult to relate to the type of gamer who feels that games instantly lose their value once the marketing hype period has expired or is older than six months old. If a game was considered great ten years ago, it's just as great now; the compiled code hasn't magically changed over time.

Lately, my game spending habits have trended more towards retro game purchases (seventh gen and prior). It's impossible for the average working adult to discover (or even just briefly experience) all of the premiere game titles for a single game console during the course of that generation. And if you enjoy a mixture of genres and have multiple consoles/systems spanning across decades of gaming: that number of amazing titles becomes quantifiably large.

That said, I still play new games and currently my play time is almost equally split between the old and the new. But having a vast library of amazing games certainly diminishes the shine of a new impending generation and I can see why one could decide to pull up on the reigns.
I am super geeked out about newer games, but I try to be frugal with my fanboy hype. Since I play close to zero online-multiplayer games and since these games are all getting patched up anyway, there's little benefit to buying Day One and plenty of benefit to waiting a few months/years. I do buy some stuff Day One, though. Usually fighting games, which my friends and I rip apart for the first few weeks and then play on occasion after that.

The phrase I bolded: yep, that's exactly the thought that went through my head. We've reached the point -- if you simply add up the games and go by the numbers -- where the videogame hobby has more good games than any one person could reasonably play in their lifetime. That's okay. That's actually a really cool phenomenon to be a part of. To think that we have so many good games out there (generally speaking; can't account for tastes) that you will never be able to play all of them is both humbling and encouraging.

I guess I exist in both worlds simultaneously as I play text MUDs still to this day, roguelikes like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Tales of Maj'Eyal, but I also have a TCL p605 with an Xbox 1 X and PS4 Pro. I can appreciate the classics like some BG2: EE (albeit on my 4k tv with a gaming lapboard) and then throw in some 4k HDR Ark on the X1X.
My man. What MUDs did/do you play? I played Aetolia by Iron Realms and that was about it. Was more interested in roguelikes. I haven't played a good one in a while but I have fond memories of stuff like Nethack (and later SLASH'em), A.D.O.M, Angband, and lesser-known ones like Gearhead and IVAN. Good stuff!

My man. What MUDs did/do you play? I played Aetolia by Iron Realms and that was about it. Was more interested in roguelikes. I haven't played a good one in a while but I have fond memories of stuff like Nethack (and later SLASH'em), A.D.O.M, Angband, and lesser-known ones like Gearhead and IVAN. Good stuff!

My main one was Sojourn/Toril, a DIKU MUD, which was the basis for Everquest. Brad McQuaid played it back in the day, I talked to him in game a few times back then.
They've been slowly revamping it lately with some overhauls which have been pretty good. It's based on 2nd edition AD&D set in the Forgotten Realms, but has morphed into more of a contempory D&D ruleset over the years:
http://www.torilmud.com/
I recommend Mudlet: https://www.mudlet.org/
With Nyyrazzilyss' script:
http://www.torilmud.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=25455

I also played some of the offshoots like Luminous Horizons, which was awesome. But yeah, roguelikes have filled the text MUD void in more recent years. Even got a Dungeon Crawl win a while back.

Last edited:
This was me at the beginning of this gen. I've found I have a stronger attachment to arcade-style games than the sprawling types we have today. I like to just pick up and play my games, not be locked into an experience necessarily. I can still enjoy that, but not as frequently. Emulators and save states help with that, as do suspend/resume with modern consoles. Additionally I am absolutely exhausted by shooters and that's so much of the industry today.

I've gone full PC + Switch. I play old games emulated on GPD Win 2 and new games on my desktop that is always using the latest graphics card since my job supplies me with one. I really enjoy most Nintendo games so I don't see myself giving that up unless the company changes significantly. Nothing on other consoles today really appeals to me though, at least not enough for me to go out and buy one. Sunset overdrive, God of War and Kingdom Hearts 3 all tickle my fancy but I feel like I can wait to play those for cheap in 10 years and nothing of value is lost.

But if Microsoft can pump out another decent actual Banjo-Kazooie game that has nothing to do with Nuts & Bolts, I'll buy an Xbox. So essentially I'll probably never buy one.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I can guess at least one: Xenoblade series? I still need to beat Xenoblade X on Wii U and then I can move on to XC2 on the Switch.

XBX is the only one I have not played. I don't have a WiiU. I might grab one cheap eventually just to play it. I'm holding out a little longer for a Switch port.

Rayderism

Heh.....without having the foresight to know the exact age of my death or disability that may prevent me from playing games, I cannot say what my last generation of gaming will be. Seriously, even if future consoles get ridiculous to the point where buying them is not worth it, I will still (theoretically) have and play the monumental backlog of games I currently have on hand. I will likely die with a game controller in my hand.....or you know, a neural interface connected to my brain....or something. Gaming is a lifestyle that has dominated most of my life.....I'm 50 now and have been gaming since I was 6. I don't think I could just simply stop gaming. I will have to be stopped by death or disability.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I've gone full PC + Switch. I play old games emulated on GPD Win 2

I've gone down this route recently too (although I'm tempted by a PS4 Pro for access to things like the Kingdom Hearts series and the FF7 Remake, but I'm also in no rush.

I'm wondering about your experience with the GPD Win 2. I'm pretty sensitive to lag, frame skipping, bad audio, etc with emulation. My last dip into emulation on a portable was the PSP, and I wasn't all that impressed (other than its native PS1 emulation -- that mostly worked great).

How well does the GPD Win 2 do with SNES and GBA? What about PS1 and PSP? How's the screen and how do the controls feel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with your mindset, but i said this about the ps3 generation....and then i was gifted a ps4 which restarted the cycle. 😭

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
I do not know, nor I am sure when I will quit gaming altogether, but I get a PS4 this gen and I plan on getting a Switch and build my PC, two out of those three will see me through, next gen is next gen.

JimmyJones

Banned
Don't be so over dramatic OP. I get where you're coming from though. Now that I'm older I feel like I'm just wasting time when I play games. I've just passed my first year back at college though and have nothing else to do in my free time so...

Kadayi

Banned
I only ever replay games if there's some achievement I'm after (in the rare instance I want to 100% a game) or if I've left it for a while and need a refresh on my muscle memory to see it through fully.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 and 8-bit computer days (C64, Apple II, Atari 400/800). I also have a large physical collection of older games as well, both computer and console. For older stuff I mainly focus on Atari, Sega and OG Xbox. I actually find myself collecting and playing older games less these days and focusing more on modern gaming. One of the biggest turn offs here of late for retro gaming are the prices. Many of the retro games I still want cost more than they originally did and can be anywhere from $75 to $1000. Paying several hundred dollars for an older game just takes they fun out of it for me and I feel it isn't worth it. Panzer Dragoon Saga is a great game and everything, but it isn't $800 great.

I've gone down this route recently too (although I'm tempted by a PS4 Pro for access to things like the Kingdom Hearts series and the FF7 Remake, but I'm also in no rush.

I'm wondering about your experience with the GPD Win 2. I'm pretty sensitive to lag, frame skipping, bad audio, etc with emulation. My last dip into emulation on a portable was the PSP, and I wasn't all that impressed (other than its native PS1 emulation -- that mostly worked great).

How well does the GPD Win 2 do with SNES and GBA? What about PS1 and PSP? How's the screen and how do the controls feel?
I have mostly good things to say about emulation on the device. but it is very much "good enough" for emulation and more accurate emulators have a hard time running on it. Balanced bsnes runs great but accurate variants are sluggish with a lot of games. Most games from GCN on back run quite well, usually full speed, but you will experience frame drops here and there which means of course skipping or crackling audio, especially if you want to increase the internal res on any games. I try to run everything at 720p-ish, but sometimes you just can't get away with that and you have to settle for native res with all the jaggies.

Controls are okay. They aren't as comfortable as a regular controller, but I've been playing it in most of my free time (reliving Gamecube-era gaming) and my hands haven't ever hurt or cramped, it's just awkward sometimes. You have to reach fairly far for the d-pad and buttons, but even with my average-sized hands it's not an insurmountable obstacle, just kind of slightly uncomfortable. The sticks are great though. The d-pad itself mimics Nintendo quality but doesn't quite make it. I find myself accidentally ducking or jumping/looking up in games when I want to go left or right only. Directionals feel slightly off. I feel like I'm developing a sense for it, but it's definitely a flaw in the workmanship. The biggest problem I have with the controls is the buttons sticking. I'm told it's due to the silicone moulding beneath the face buttons and that it will stop happening over time, but it's still a pretty big hindrance while it lasts. I've had it for about a month and A and B have pretty much stopped sticking (as I use them the most). X sticks on occasion but Y sticks a lot still. It's frustrating in a game like Tony Hawk or SSX when you're trying to grind and it's stuck down or you're trying to release your handplant at the last second only to bail because the button didn't pop. Again, it is becoming less of a problem as i use it more but it sucks right now.

The screen is great. It's beautiful and the size-pixel density ratio makes things look wonderful on it. Touch is responsive, but you might want to calibrate it for your particular fingers. At first it felt really inaccurate, but windows touch calibration fixed that right up. Good contrast, great color reproduction, no added lag from the display. It's nice and bright too, so outdoor gameplay is totally possible. At full brightness I experienced 0 glare.

Speakers kinda suck. They're not tinny, in fact sound reproduction is pretty decent, but they're not loud enough for anything but the quietest of rooms. I was hoping to use it to watch a YouTube video or two while I shave, but the buzz from my razor drowns the thing out. Luckily I have a bluetooth speaker in the bathroom, so the plan works.

I'll break down my experience with each of the consoles I've emulated-
Wii U: Can't get most games to display anything. I can hear audio, but no video. Same games I used on my desktop, my personal rips, on the same version of cemu. Only game I can get to display is Super Mario 3D World and it's slowwwwww. Granted there are graphics packs for 540p that I have not yet tried that could alleviate the slowdown, but that's for another time. I'm really not sure why the other games won't display anything, but that's an investigation for the future.
Wii: Some games run very well, like Brawl. Some run like garbage, like Metroid Prime (the Gamecube version runs fine tho?). It's really hit or miss.
Gamecube: I have yet to come across a game that doesn't run well. Some games require me to go down to native res to get good results (True Crime LA), but others have no issues even supersampling (SSX3). Full 60fps in that game.
3DS: Most games run at or close to full speed using the Canary builds at native res, but some have issues maintaining speed (Super Mario 3D Land). I can live with the speed drops there, but you may not be as forgiving based on what you said. Some games can be uprezzed (Ultimate NES Remix) but others soft lock or crash (Pokemon Sun). That isn't a GPD thing, it crashes on my desktop too. But it's something to be aware of.
PSP: Super hit or miss. Some games run well and can super sample (Burnout series) but others struggle to hit full speed at native (God of War). GPD Win 2 can't really brute force this emulator, sadly. Again, some do very well but others require grinning and bearing it.
PS2: Almost everything I've tried has run like trash. People have reported good results with the emulator, but I've had no luck. Could be that I'm just not configuring things correctly, I don't know. I'll probably look more into it when I get the itch to replay Kingdom Hearts. All the DMC games run terribly along with SSX Tricky and Silent Hill 3. I gave up after a while.
PS1: Using the core provided in Retroarch I've gotten full speeds on games like Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Tomba, Crash Team Racing, all your usual stuff. No issues in these games.
GBA: Using gpsp core in RA. Input lag is there and noticeable, but you adjust to it. It's not so severe that it impacts gameplay too much. Other cores have graphical issues in some games.
N64: Using higan core, some graphical issues as you'd expect with N64 emulation, but full speed and ability to upres.
Nintendo DS: Using Desmume and Desmume core in RA, getting full speed most of the time at native res. Uprezzing slows games down far too much. I honestly have a better visual experience with Drastic on Android, though no input lag in Desmume vs very noticeable input lag on Drastic because of Bluetooth on Android being awful.
Dreamcast: Works fairly well in RA's Reicast core. Almost full speeds consistently, minor graphical errors. Some games don't launch but most are fine.
Sega retro family (Genesis, 32x, Master system, CD, Game Gear): Perfect emulation in my opinion. No lag, great sound, great frame rates. Using Genesis Plus GX/PicoDrive on RA.
SNES: As mentioned earlier, runs very well in bsnes balanced with a few games experiencing slowdown on occasion. bsnes speed has some annoying sound issues. bsnes accuracy is fine for some games but too slow for others. I haven't tried other cores, I just stick with bsnes balanced. I've played through Mario World on the thing with no problems, working on Super Metroid now. No real complaints other than occasional slowdown but not often enough to be a huge detriment.
NES, GBC, WS, Atari family, C64, all these handle beautifully, as you would expect on any modern computer.

Finally, when it comes to PC games it works well with most games released before the late 2000's including ports of games from that era (Devil May Cry HD Collection). If you're willing to compromise on frame rates, you can play a lot of contemporary titles on this thing at 30fps. Personally, I need 60, so even turning down graphics options my choices are pretty limited but indie titles tend to run perfectly in parity with the Switch. I've been playing Hat in Time on it with no problems. Yooka-Laylee runs ok on it, but I can't do 30fps so I leave that game to my desktop. Or I could stream it to the GPD Win 2. Steam In-home streaming works great on the device.

Overall it's a great device and I'm glad I bought it. To be clear though I never had a GPD Win 1 and I got the Win 2 at $650. If you already own a Win 1 I'm not sure the power difference would be worth it, especially if you're only emulating older titles. I also bought it with my meager crypto currency gains (no mining, just straight up investment of 100 bucks, being in the right place at the right time) so even at $650 it's a hard sell - its actual price is closer to 900. It all comes down to what you want to do, but you might be totally fine with spending just $300 for the previous model.

I used to play several new games every month, but I find the industry as a whole is starting to feel derivative. The industry is fueled by sequels, and the games often feel watered down compared to their predecessors. I enjoy going back to my favorite games, and it's nice to find hidden gems from previous generations that I never played. I can't imagine missing out on games like Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey, however, so I'll keep buying new systems to play the "must have" games.

I ran into a similar issue with music not too long ago. I wasn't especially impressed with most of the new music that was coming out, so I decided to go back in time. There are decades worth of incredible music and literally hundreds of albums that I had never heard.

If new games aren't holding your interest, try going back in time. There are hundreds of games that you haven't played that may be worthy of your attention.

scydrex

In my case, i don't replay games... I play a game once and that's it... Only a few games like TLOU, Mass Effect 1 & 2 and some others i had played twice. So i cannot say the same thing as the OP.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
its like supporting a football team, do you ever think I have been to enough games I don't need to go again? obviously not.

listening to Music, I have heard enough songs in my lifetime I don't need to listen to anything new.

things change all the time and sometimes it isn't for the better and other times it blows you away how good new things can get

with video games the latter is the case for me, I think wow they can't get any better than they are now and then something new comes out and blows the rest away. Next Gen will make games better and better to play so I am all in next Gen to

Ozrimandias

Ive felt like you. First like 10 years ago and in the beggining of this year.
Im like you, i consider myself a collectionist, i have a Ps Vita tv with Mame, Snes, Nes and GBA Roms, i had also a PS3 with Retroarch and a huge amont of more mame games, a PSOne, PS2, PS3 and a PS4. I conserve some snes games like chrono trigger, FF6(3), my limited editions of souls saga and Metal Gear Solid and i could continue but, at some point i didnt wanna play any more new stuff because of lack of time. So i was condering abandon a new generation and play some games that i didnt play back of those years when first came out..........

Then ive watched the Cyberpunk 2077, Spiderman, RDR2 trailers and...........hell with it, saving money for next gen and playing those last gems in current.

Daymos

I can relate to all of this. Modern gaming often stresses me out simply because there are so many choices and risks involved in it all. I try to claim "I'll only play Nintendo games this year" or "only play japanese games this year" or "I won't buy a new console till 2 years after release!" or my latest claim is "I'm only playing these 10 games for the next two years! 100% completion" but I always get bored or excited and end up purchasing new games and new DLC that I often regret down the road. It's like a fad diet that's sure to fail for me. I always gain the games back.

It's gotten so I almost like replaying old games better than starting new ones, there's no pressure or bad feelings about replaying something you already beat... complete relaxation who no obligation to beat the game or somehow justify the purchase.

So if you (op) can really pull this off and quit buying new games for the rest of your life, then that's awesome. I think it'd solve alot of problems and give you plenty to play. You'll find it DAMN hard to resist new games though, with the marketing and internet crap we have nowdays.. it'll suck you right in.

Last edited:

bratpack

Agreed. I was the world's biggest video gaming fan back when video games were like books, and the act of playing video games was simple.

You bought a disc / cartridge at a store, you drove home, you put the disc in your console, you pressed the "on" button, you started playing, and the game was yours forever.

I loved the elegant simplicity of gaming. I also loved when markets were centralized and simplified. Like for example, when you would go to Babbage's or Funcoland to buy PS1 games. There was no functional distinction between any of the games in the lineup. Every PS1 game was displayed equally on store shelves, and you could browse indiscriminately. I would spend hours scouring game stores for the newest titles. And while I did it, I felt a tangible connection to the industry. I looked at each title with wonder with nothing but the back cover to go by, and couldn't wait to unlock the secrets that lay within.

There was something very special about the video game industry before social media and the Internet took over our lives and redefined how the industry operated at a fundamental level.

I find it very sad when I play DS / Wii / late-era PS2 games because of the fact that they were the last relics of the dying era of traditional retail gaming (full games only available physically, no DLC, complete game on disc with no patches, no microtransactions, no GAAS). I remember that fateful day in 2012 when Nintendo started introducing DLC for the very first time ever (Fire Emblem: Awakening) and then a couple months later they launched their service to buy full Nintendo games digitally (New Super Mario Bros. 2). I remember mourning that day...the last bastion finally fell and embraced modernity.

I've often thought about quitting and selling it all, but I've come to peace with it. I'll just stay stuck in the past enjoying my old games until the day I die.

Such hyperbole imo when I go to the store I buy the game come home put it on and I play what's the problem? Same as always was? Oh sure you have to download a patch but look at these games look at the amazing stuff they are running those old games were very basic and easier to keep on top of bugs and such.

Look at the angry video nerd there was a lot of shit back in the old days as well it wasn't all butterflys and daisys.

Just like today alot of shit to be found but alot of good aswell

The reasons I, some times, think of quitting gaming have nothing to do with my backlog.

My actual reason is how the industry is changing. Namely:
  1. The Freemium mobile crap gaming.
  2. The over-reliance on DLC and the building of games around the monetization of that. (ex. Making all games Multiplayer)
  3. The hard push to go full digital and kill retail.
  4. Being unable to find time for it.

This is true only for part of market - mainly Microsoft, EA, Ubi, Rockstar, Activision.

Sony, Nintendo, SE, Bethesda and tons of eastern developers and western smaller studios still do amazing single player games.

As long as gamers keep supporting games like Witcher, Divinity, Persona , Nier , horizon etc someone will be making them.

KiteGr

This is true only for part of market - mainly Microsoft, EA, Ubi, Rockstar, Activision.

Sony, Nintendo, SE, Bethesda and tons of eastern developers and western smaller studios still do amazing single player games.

As long as gamers keep supporting games like Witcher, Divinity, Persona , Nier , horizon etc someone will be making them.
I'm not the one who'se quitting, I just mention the potential reasons to do so, as opposed to OP's "I have to big a backlog" argument.

Yet you've just mentioned half of the triple A studios there, and compare to the past that's a depressing amount!
Sometimes I think that we shouldn't advance to the next generation of consoles and instead stay where we are and focus on making gaming development more cost effective. The difference in graphics becomes less noticeable with each jump anyway, and I fear sooner or later they'll just start rely on gimmicks to justify a stronger machine.

DanEON

Don't make your mistake even bigger. Just because you bought games that you couldn't play doesn't mean you need to play now.
Just accept it and move on. I don't see why anyone would do that. Only thing that comes to my mind is if you are in a financial issue.

Razzorn34

No.

Why would anyone wanna commit to not playing new or future games and experiences? That's just silly imo

It isn't that crazy to be honest. My father is like this. He would rather play games from the late 99-early 2000 era stuff than learn most new games. New games come with new mechanics, more button combinations, etc. Overall more complexity. Not to mention everything is so much faster than it used to be. Sure, no one will argue that games are easier these days, but they are still definitely more complex overall. Especially when it comes to many of the sports games he enjoys. Like, compare NBA 2k2 mechanics to NBA 2k18. Being able to adjust things like overall gamespeed was a big loss to him also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom