• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the new MS Surface Pro

Aomber

No USB-C, no buy from me. Personally I buy an expensive laptop to last many years and that's not gonna cut it for the future.

I wasn't in favor of Apple's full-on commitment to USB-C at the time of release, but at the same time, it's not a good idea to neglect it completely in 2017, especially in favor of Mini Displayport.

Danneee

Will the new pen lessen lag when writing/drawing with the Surface Pro 4 too or is that a SP5 exclusive feature?

Edit: found that that sadly isn't the case.

antyk

I was looking this year to get a SP5 or iPad Pro 2 and if Apple can fix a few major things I think they have a winner.

That's completely untrue if you need to run more than 'phone' apps, like Cubase, Ableton Live, etc., though. Which makes Surface Pro much more superior to iPad Pro.

ty_hot

is there a new keyboard or not? I see that there is the new pen, but no word on a new keyboard (and I dont see any new one in the microsoft store either)

edit. or is it the 'surface pro signature edition'? I think this is an old model.

edit2. yes, this is a new keyboard. Microsoft must be joking, the Surface Pro launches 15/06, the keyboard launches 20/07. Yes, more than a month later.

That's completely untrue if you need to run more than 'phone' apps, like Cubase, Ableton Live, etc., though. Which makes Surface Pro much more superior to iPad Pro.

That's entirely dependant on what you use it for. But that has nothing to do with the 'stylus' quality.

We will see next month probably what iPad Pro 2 can do with 'real' apps.7

Water

edit2. yes, this is a new keyboard. Microsoft must be joking, the Surface Pro launches 15/06, the keyboard launches 20/07. Yes, more than a month later.
I truly wonder if they don't understand how insane these configuration, sales etc. issues are in a high end business laptop, or if they just don't care. Either is mindboggling.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
is there a new keyboard or not? I see that there is the new pen, but no word on a new keyboard (and I dont see any new one in the microsoft store either)

edit. or is it the 'surface pro signature edition'? I think this is an old model.

What's different about the new keyboard over the old one? Just alcantara/colors?

ty_hot

You guys sure that the keyboard is new? Aren't they the same as the already existing grey alcantara keyboard?

I dont know either. Maybe they just didnt release the alcantara keyboard in Europe before, so now they are bringing it and it seems like it is new when it isnt actually. Maybe there are just more colors? (Idk how it was before)

You guys sure that the keyboard is new? Aren't they the same as the already existing grey alcantara keyboard?

They're just new colors in the Signature Cover line. No new features or anything. I assume that they're using the improved alcantara from the Laptop line and that the backlight doesn't shine through underneath the keys as much, like on the Laptop.

The KB releasing a month after the device seems to be happening on the Australian store too.

Lmao. I had to do a google search to find the Type cover 3/4 listings, too.

Danneee

Preordered the M3 version. Will be fine for browsing and office plus some lighter gaming and I can't stand my IPad Air 2 anymore, the browsers are too limited for what I'm using it for.

Hopefully the improved battery time and performance boost over the Prob4 is worth it. Otherwise I'll just return it and buy a Pro 4 M3.

antyk

Since some of the MS Stores already have the old model on sale, I've ordered a SP4 i7 8/256gb from UK :)

Danneee

So uh, I can get the i5 8gb/256 with alcantara type cover for about $1200 now.
Should I hold on to my New Surface Pro M3 preorder or just go with this one?

Edit: bought the old model, the included pen, bigger ssd, more memory, better CPU and alcantara type cover outweighs slightly higher price and better battery time. Don't think I'll actually need the better pen or use it much in places I can't charge it.

So uh, I can get the i5 8gb/256 with alcantara type cover for about $1200 now.
Should I hold on to my New Surface Pro M3 preorder or just go with this one?

Personally I would wait for the new one. The new i5 model is fanless and has 13 hours battery life. I have the m3 version of the Pro 4, and the battery life is pretty bad.

Danneee

Personally I would wait for the new one. The new i5 model is fanless and has 13 hours battery life. I have the m3 version of the Pro 4, and the battery life is pretty bad.

Heh, just edited my post.
The new fanless i5 will be about $16-1700 here so that is out of question. It was either the new M3 with 4gb ram or the old i5 with 8/256 and signature cover/pen. Apparently I bought the signature edition of the SP4 which means clean windows install!

hadareud

The Translator
Yep, i5 256.

Initial impressions: feels significantly faster than the SP4 (same config).

- Hello is much quicker and seems to handle sunlight better
- battery life seems improved, I haven't plugged it in yet, used it for an hour, installed updates, several win32 apps and ~50 store apps, went from 54% to 45%. On my SP4, I would expect about twice that
- screen and colours feel crisper
- installs, edge etc. were blazing, certainly quicker for every day use than SP4
- the rounded edges make it nicer to hold, it's a small difference, but it makes a difference
- the weight difference feels more pronounced than I expected

So far I'm impressed, I didn't expect much difference to be honest. The SSD on my SP4 died in the weekend so I impulsively ordered the new one regretting it ever since - not anymore.

gamz

Yep, i5 256.

- battery life seems improved, I haven't plugged it in yet, used it for an hour, installed updates, several win32 apps and ~50 store apps, went from 54% to 45%. On my SP4, I would expect about twice that
- installs, edge etc. were blazing, certainly quicker for every day use than SP4
- the rounded edges make it nicer to hold, it's a small difference, but it makes a difference

So far I'm impressed, I didn't expect much difference to be honest. The SSD on my SP4 died in the weekend so I impulsively ordered the new one regretting it ever since - not anymore.

Wow. Awesome.

RoKKeR

I've gradually hyped myself up on this over the last few days. I'm about to make a big life transition from school to work, and will likely be toting a work laptop and personal laptop/device with me almost all of the time. The idea of having a smaller, lighter, but still extremely capable device to throw in my bag along with whatever else I need is incredibly enticing, as are the other accessories that - while pricey - could really make for a sweet desktop experience at home. (travel mouse, the dock, etc.)

Think I'd definitely opt for the i5 model, and it looks like that is the one most people will jump on. I checked it out in a store the other day and was really impressed with how much better the type cover has gotten. (and with those prices... damn, good thing too!)

I'm sure I'll be tossing the idea back and forth for a few months. Currently have a mid 2014 MBP, and moving my whole life over to Windows would definitely be a jarring transition at first. (no iPhone though, so it'd be a bit less painful)

"No USB-C" sounds outdated but then I remembered that I don't have ANYthing that uses USB-C anyway.

Yeah it seems weird to not have it just as a sort of future-proofing. Cheap laptops are getting it now, so you'd expect it in a featured MS product.

It's a pretty great port, my phone & Switch use it.

I think it's really weird that I can charge my Android phone (Pixel XL) or my Nintendo Switch from my MacBook Pro (2016), but not an iPhone.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Yeah it seems weird to not have it just as a sort of future-proofing. Cheap laptops are getting it now, so you'd expect it in a featured MS product.

It's a pretty great port, my phone & Switch use it.

I think it's really weird that I can charge my Android phone (Pixel XL) or my Nintendo Switch from my MacBook Pro (2016), but not an iPhone.

yea i dont get this. As noted in this thread i believe or other MS surface threads, i got a Dell XPS 15. Probably my least favorite part of it is USB C. Using the dell thunderbolt dock, Im running 2 27" 4k monitors through it, ethernet USB etc. But it sticks a good 2 to 2.5" out of the laptop, its not magnetic, makes it damn near impossible to find in the dark. I bought a USB C adapter thats 90 degree and adds a little extra line, but the monitors wont run through it.

hwalker84

Was going to ask work to upgrade my Pro 4 i7 16GB 256GB version then realized this config doesn't exist in the new Surface Pro.

hwalker84

Yep, i5 256.

I agree 100%. For a i7 512 yesterday from work to replace my i7 256 Pro 4.

I wound up with the i7 8gb 256.

Really liking it so far. I was worried the fan might annoy me vs the fanless i7, but I'm happy with how quiet it is and how rarely it kicks in.

shira

How are the Alcantara keyboards? Is there any difference beside the material. Any slight improvements?
I tried what I thought was a surface pro and the Alcantara seemed really solid, it wasn't the fuzzy dirt magnet I thought it would be

This may be a silly question but I don't have the largest budget and am split between a Pro 4 i5 or a 2017 Pro m3.

I just want it for general use, really, nothing too special. Which would be best in general?

Voidance

For folks who purchased the new Surface Pro, have you had any notable issues that would dissuade a person in the market for a Surface? I'll be starting my MBA soon and am trying to choose between the 2017 Surface Pro and an i5/8 GB/dGPU Surface Book for my program.

For folks who purchased the new Surface Pro, have you had any notable issues that would dissuade a person in the market for a Surface? I'll be starting my MBA soon and am trying to choose between the 2017 Surface Pro and an i5/8 GB/dGPU Surface Book for my program.

I got the 2017 Surface Pro i5 8gb just this past weekend to replace my ipad mini. I love it so much!

hadareud

The Translator

It's the first Surface I have had no issues with.

Voidance

I got the 2017 Surface Pro i5 8gb just this past weekend to replace my ipad mini. I love it so much!

It's the first Surface I have had no issues with.
Thanks for updating the thread!

I did purchase a Surface Pro for my MBA program and regretted it after the first class. The Surface crashed once and One Note crashed twice, and the Surface Pen has a (now) well-documented issue that occasionally causes lines to be wavy and when resting your bare hand on the screen. This issue has affected my note taking more than I ever anticipated by decreasing the legibility of my notes and increasing my frustration with the note taking process.

As of my class on Tuesday, I took my iPad Pro for note taking and had no issues. If I could return the SP, I would, and I'm not sure of the best avenue of selling it. I'll just dual boot my MacBook for the class(es) that require Windows -- it's less frustrating.

hwalker84

I highly recommend the Surface brand. They are announcing some new models this month you may want to wait. Rumored is the LTE Surface Pro and refreshed Surface Books.

dLMN8R

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft, but not for the Surface team, and purchase my Surface devices at full price at retail.

I've purchased a Surface Pro 3 for me, a Surface Pro 4 for my wife, and later a Surface Book for me to replace the Pro 3.

The Pro 3, Pro 4, and Book all had a variety of issues. Some minor with wi-fi or sleep stability, others major with hardware failures and crashes.

All of the devices are working perfectly now though, after all of the Skylake-related issues were fixed by Microsoft and Intel, but it wasn't fun along the way. The Microsoft Store always took care of me (and didn't know I worked for Microsoft). They'd always offer replacements for the early borked device, or anything else until things were fixed, until it was made right.

Ultimately though, I decided I like the Surface Pro form factor more, so I sold my Surface Book and now have the latest Surface Pro (i5 / 256GB / 8GB). I absolutely love it.

Unlike the previous devices, I've had zero issues with this one. Performance is excellent. Keyboard and trackpad are top of class - I actually like them better than the Surface Book keyboard and trackpad. The portability is awesome. Battery life is good. Display is absolutely gorgeous.

The latest Surface Pro isn't cheap, but if it falls within your price range, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. I could never say the same about the Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book.

So I got my new Surface Pro and went to the Google chrome website and installed the browser. Once installed no matter what I do it does not allow me to close, maximize or minimize the window via touchscreen.

Anyone know what's up?

Futureman

I'm considering getting the "NEW" Surface Pro i7, 512 GB, 16 GB RAM.

I would be using it for my freelance photography business plus some hobby digital illustration.

I currently use a SP4 m3 4 GB RAM and it's fine for the illustration I do. It also seemed fine the one time that I had to edit some photos in Lightroom.

Basically I feel pretty confident that this set-up would work fine for me powerwise, but I'm wondering if anyone here is using a Surface Pro as their full-time computer to do paid work? Any advice or thoughts? How annoying is the fan on the new SP?

Top Bottom