• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is what I am expecting out of Next Gen Visuals

iconmaster

Banned
With the cape clipping through the armor, reminding you you're in a video game at every step?

Yup, it's what I expect from next gen as well.

ELAWULz.png

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yeah the video looks maybe slightly better than Uncharted 4. It is impressive, but not that impressive. i expect even better graphics.

kingbean

All I wanted from this current gen was an effective anti-aliasing solution because PS3 and 360 games look like turdshit on big displays with their sub 720p resolutions and garbage tier AA. *other than a few stand outs, obviously*

So for this gen I want stable framerates with better material shaders in games that want realism.
And for games that want a hyper stylized look, I want them to be able to create scenes as cool as concept art.

Video in OP looks good but movement is kinda jerky. I always say animation first, fidelity second.

Movement is jerky because if you read my original post the artist is NOT an animator. He simply purchased a 3d model of 3d market just to use it to walk around in the environment in 3rd person.

He is showing of the environment because he is a 3d Envrionment Artist. Very plain and simple, this is not a tech demo, this is a showing of his ability in modeling environments and texturing to either ne hired at a game studio or the film industry or any kind of 3D work really that needs skilled enviornmental artists.

Last edited:
Here's an Unreal 3 demo from 2011.

Did we ever get games in 2020 even looking like this yet?

Doesn't Arkham Knight looks better than this? I'd say Last of Us 2 looks better than this and that's a Unreal 3.5 demo I believe. Gears 5 is better as well imo, I think it's one of the most recent games that are very technically impressive. I never played Death Stranding but that game looks incredible as well and thanks running on Horizon Zero Dawn engine.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’d be pretty uninterested in next gen if that’s all we got. I expect shit like Hellblade 2.

Last edited:

Life

How can veteran gamers STILL be obsessed with graphics? I was there once too, I admit - but I'm not gonna play anything that looks amazing but isn't challenging/creative/interesting. The future of gaming looks bleak in that regard - so why would I be excited about graphics.

Here's an Unreal 3 demo from 2011.

Did we ever get games in 2020 even looking like this yet?

i would say yes they’ve surpassed this or at least equaled it. There is a lot of over lighting and bloom that just doesn’t look great to me. But there are some things we probably haven’t seen yet.

i feel like the graphics in games is getting close to good enough. I mean the videos in this thread shows it. What it is all about now... I’ll say it again. What it is ALL about now is the world interactivity. That ES6 video looks great and I hope we get graphics like that in the next gen but the thing that will really make those scenes come alive is the ability to play around in and move everything in The scene. Cut down the trees and move the logs.

Got a home village that gets raided by orks every now and then and there is a valley entrance or bottle neck. Cut down trees and create a wall to stop them. Then the AI has to know that they’re not just gonna stop at a blockage but either work on breaking the log wall you built or climb around it. These sorts of things are what is missing from games at the moment. There is a whole paradigm of new gameplay possibilities when you mix these kinds of in depth physics with magic or technology character systems. Having the ability of real world interactivity with shit that is impossible in the real world due to physics is the dream for me. I want to use magic to do creative and fun stuff with the environment and potentially even create new spells by combining spell effects I already know. See a moon in a magic game, I wanna figure out how to get my teleport spell to reach that far. But I’ll also need to figure out how to survive in a vacuum using only magic as well.

I want to use tech to build and destroy things completely. Got a boss in a building guarded by heaps of dudes you’re having trouble beating In cyberpunk 3077 (I don’t expect to be able to do this in 2077 but I’m gonna try) then go around and plant explosives on the support columns of the building he’s in a drop the fucker on him then live with the consequences of the city having had a building destroyed in your game world. I’m excited just typing about it.

I feel that RDR2 has gotten the best living world feeling to date but it lacked interactivity with the environment to the extent I want things.

I am well aware that we probably won’t see this sort of stuff until next next gen or perhaps even the gen after that.

Still. As the engines continue to balloon the better games become. Exciting times. Damn life always has to throw spanners in right?

Last edited:
It's Orphan of the Machine for Xbox Series X.
Oh hell yea son. You know how every indie game is starting to look and be the same? Despite all the chiptune metriodvania rougelike retro graphic whatever, I'll go balls deep on some Ecco clone. Fingers crossed for PC release

Last edited:
With the speed of the next gen SSD drives (especially the PS5) and being able to stream in higher quality textures, etc. I expect the fidelity this next gen to look like this.

Especially since Epic Games has acquired Quixel, so it is now free to use within Unreal Engine.

https://quixel.com/blog/2019/11/12/quixel-joins-forces-with-epic-games

I also expect physics to be off the charts this next gen as well.

And I want my storms to look amazing!!!

Last edited:

Ascend

I'm more interested in the new gameplay innovations we can possibly experience rather than graphics... Gameplay has been stagnant since the X360/PS3 days since CPU power has been quite the limit ever since then. Now that that has a big jump and we have SSDs, new experiences can more easily be created.

Graphics have improved a lot, but, there aren't that many new games that have blown me away in the recent gen. Most that have are B-tier stuff like Life Is Strange, Hellblade, Child of Light, Telltale's The Walking Dead... None of them AAA titles. The AAA have gone into the SJW route, which ultimately negatively impacted the games...

So, I hope, that this gen, we will see some truly innovative stuff. Graphics to me are nice, but secondary. I want new ways of stories being told and new ways of experiencing gameplay.

kiphalfton

Yes. Source - http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...ame_engine_for_the_elder_scrolls_vi_starfield

"Fallout 76 uses a new renderer, a new lighting system and a new system for the landscape generation. For Starfield even more of it changes. And for The Elder Scrolls 6, out there on the horizon even more," Howard tells Forbes, confirming that future games will indeed utilise the Creation Engine.

"We like our editor. It allows us to create worlds really fast and the modders know it really well. There are some elementary ways we create our games and that will continue because that lets us be efficient and we think it works best," Howard explains.

Hold the mother fucking phone... "it allows us to create worlds really fast".

3nQurq9.png

Gone

Banned
Serious question, why aren't many studios doing something like this video?
How hard it is to create something like that for, let's say, an AA studio?

I actually think youre actually on point.
Before I opened this thread, I assumed you were going to have super high expectations.

VFXVeteran

Banned
We'll see better than that OP.

Nope. We won't.

Next gen tech (in my professional opinion) requires full ray-tracing with every single feature on @4k/30FPS like in Control and Metro, but with a much much better art direction and much bigger scope (i.e. Cyberpunk) scope. We aren't going to get there with these consoles this next-gen nor with Ampere. Maybe in 7yrs.

Sagii86

Nope. We won't.

Next gen tech (in my professional opinion) requires full ray-tracing with every single feature on @4k/30FPS like in Control and Metro, but with a much much better art direction and much bigger scope (i.e. Cyberpunk) scope. We aren't going to get there with these consoles this next-gen nor with Ampere. Maybe in 7yrs.

I think we at a point where devs have the technical specs & tools (Unity & UE4 in particular) to achieve the visual fidelity of what have been displayed in this thread. I wouldn't be so hurry to judge.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I think we at a point where devs have the technical specs & tools (Unity & UE4 in particular) to achieve the visual fidelity of what have been displayed in this thread. I wouldn't be so hurry to judge.

These demos don't exhibit what I consider next-gen.

These demos and tech specs is what is in games now. Just look at the PC versions of the more recent multiplats. Also, my "judgements" are based on experience.

Last edited:

Sagii86

These demos don't exhibit what I consider next-gen.

These demos and tech specs is what is in games now. Just look at the PC versions of the more recent multiplats. Also, my "judgements" are based on experience.

Quixel partnership with UE4 offering free megascans quite revolutionize the industry. I don't think this is what we "perceive" as normal in games today (Even on high end PC). soon, but not yet.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Quixel partnership with UE4 offering free megascans quite revolutionize the industry. I don't think this is what we "perceive" as normal in games today (Even on high end PC). soon, but not yet.

I've seen those vids and they are possible now. Megascan is just really high res textures and normal maps. There is nothing in those demos technically that hasn't been implemented (or can't be now). The placement of assets is just a scatter tool of props in a game world. You got some displacement mapping (which is fixed function) and the usual lighting that we see today. DOF, ray-traced reflections, per-instance leaves with standard specular lighting, etc.. nothing new.

When we start seeing full dynamic hair rendered as triangular strips with self-shadowing, ambient occlusion, with GI inside the hair itself or full velvet materials or multiple importance sampling lighting with 2 bounce secondary illumination and real caustics, then we'll be on a path to film quality. That's several years away. Not these videos.

Last edited:

BG:
Example.

It is quite old, but it can be used by those who have doubts about the nextgen quality.

When you reach these levels other things start to be relevant, like creativity and stories.

This should be the base quality of ThirdParty games for both of them.

PS. I know, I haven't responded to many quotes. I keep them in mind. It will be easier for me from the PC when it is recovered and calm than from the phone these days.

Last edited:

Sagii86

I've seen those vids and they are possible now. Megascan is just really high res textures and normal maps. There is nothing in those demos technically that hasn't been implemented (or can't be now). The placement of assets is just a scatter tool of props in a game world. You got some displacement mapping (which is fixed function) and the usual lighting that we see today. DOF, ray-traced reflections, per-instance leaves with standard specular lighting, etc.. nothing new.

Haven't said any of that. It's not "Normal" yet though, specifically on consoles since the tech under their box do set the tone (Sadly) for developers.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Haven't said any of that. It's not "Normal" yet though, specifically on consoles since the tech under their box do set the tone (Sadly) for developers.

No the tech under their box doesn't set the tone. Where did you hear a developer tell you that they use the console platform as a primary development machine? The PS exclusive developers use the PC to set the tone and downport to the consoles. That's why the PC has higher resolution textures compared to their console equivalents.

Those demos may not be seen in current gen consoles, but the PC has already been equipped with the hardware to do those demos, that's why those demos are played on a PC. Next gen? Yea, but those games won't have better tech than the PC multiplats of games *now*. They'll be equivalent. If you want to see how next-gen console games will look, look at the current gen PC games. Take RE3 remake on PC for example. That's next-gen tech right there.

Last edited:
Besides hair physics, proper cloth physics is what I want to see. I just hate how cloth sticks to player models.

MikuMikuDance has some amazing cloth physics, sadly it's not a game

ideally without clipping, but I guess this shit is a nightmare to do, so I don't expect this for next gen but I wish for it.

Last edited:

Droxcy

I expect more games to take Death Stranding's route. Use of Quixel and super high res textures I feel games are going to shift to more realism here in the future. Look at RDR2 & Death Stranding both games are amazing looking at 4k.

Sagii86

No the tech under their box doesn't set the tone. Where did you hear a developer tell you that they use the console platform as a primary development machine? The PS exclusive developers use the PC to set the tone and downport to the consoles. That's why the PC has higher resolution textures compared to their console equivalents.

Those demos may not be seen in current gen consoles, but the PC has already been equipped with the hardware to do those demos, that's why those demos are played on a PC. Next gen? Yea, but those games won't have better tech than the PC multiplats of games *now*. They'll be equivalent. If you want to see how next-gen console games will look, look at the current gen PC games. Take RE3 remake on PC for example. That's next-gen tech right there.

Having a really hard time agreeing on that since the tech of the engine used there developed to run on consoles first and therefore been downgraded even if it was orginally designed on PC hardware. I don't think you get my point though. Time will tell.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Having a really hard time agreeing on that since the tech of the engine used there developed to run on consoles first and therefore been downgraded even if it was orginally designed on PC hardware. I don't think you get my point though. Time will tell.

You are more than welcome to justify your stance with actual facts. The RE Engine has every single 3D feature you can think of except it's not ray-traced. We are talking about tech here not what you think "looks" better.

List the features in those demos that aren't implemented in games like RDR2, RE remake, MW, Control, Metro, etc.. all on PC because none of the games I just listed will run on current gen hardware at the same settings as the PC.

Remove the bias of you thinking that consoles dictate tech (because they don't). To add, that Quixel demo won't run on next-gen systems either. The next-gen consoles have too low memory and too little bandwidth (both memory and GPU) to render those kinds of high res textures @ 4k/60.

Last edited:

Sagii86

You are more than welcome to justify your stance with actual facts. The RE Engine has every single 3D feature you can think of except it's not ray-traced. We are talking about tech here not what you think "looks" better.

List the features in those demos that aren't implemented in games like RDR2, RE remake, MW, Control, Metro, etc.. all on PC because none of the games I just listed will run on current gen hardware at the same settings as the PC.

Remove the bias of you thinking that consoles dictate tech (because they don't). To add, that Quixel demo won't run on next-gen systems either. The next-gen consoles have too low memory and too little bandwidth (both memory and GPU) to render those kinds of high res textures @ 4k/60.

Considering how fast GDDR6 is, I'm willing to bet they will. I'm not gonna argue no more because I feel it's pointless until we will see games like hellblade 2 in action.

Top Bottom