• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is what I am expecting out of Next Gen Visuals

VFXVeteran

Banned
I think I saw another member of gaf comment you expect assassin creed odyssey pc graphics for next gen. Don't know if that's true, but that's rather low if that's it.

Even now the exnaughtydog dev said games could look even better on current hardware if the ssd was there, iirc. Let alone next gen.

The ps5 is said to be 10.3Tflops of rdna2. I've heard it compared in performance to the radeon vii with 13.8 Tflops of gcn compute. That is nearly 8 times the performance of the base ps4. It would indeed be surprising if there's no significant graphical jump.

when you see God of War, the character models, the deformable snow, the high quality textures, the exquisite baked lighting and hdr. It was the best looking title when it came out.

Maybe when Death Stranding is on PC, the skeptics will finally acknowledge that it looks almost a generation ahead of practically all other games.

Discuss this here.

Last edited:
Just gonna leave this here.

1.84tf.

Is this what the game really looks like in game?

I dont believe so. But It this still in-engine and what a simple base PS4 can already do, even If its not ingame, still amazing and pretty much on par with that Quixel demo or at least Very close to It.

My Theory is that as graphics, engines and tools advance, there Will be a time when graphics comparisons Will become pointless, and I think that this New gen has potential to make It a reality.

Thats the reason why I am more inclined to believe that there are other things that will have more significant. Impact than Just raw Power.

Is this what the game really looks like in game?

I dont believe so. But It this still in-engine and what a simple base PS4 can already do, even If its not ingame, still amazing and pretty much on par with that Quixel demo or at least Very close to It.

My Theory is that as graphics, engines and tools advance, there Will be a time when graphics comparisons Will become pointless, and I think that this New gen has potential to make It a reality.

Thats the reason why I am more inclined to believe that there are other things that will have more significant. Impact than Just raw Power.

This is gameplay footage of Death Stranding

And yes you are correct that in some areas it does look pretty much on par with the Quixel demo.

When I saw the first gameplay trailers of death stranding, it almost seemed like a ps5 title, it looked a generation ahead of practically all other games, including pc titles.

Last edited:

Sagii86

Discuss this here.

Don't take it out of context. No one said we are at CGI level. The vast majority simply think that video games are in a good spot, probably more than ever. We all looking forward to next gen which seems to be like (according to specs) the greatest leap in visuals & physics in a very long time (probably since 2D to 3D).

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Don't take it out of context. No one said we are at CGI level. The vast majority simply think that video games are in a good spot, probably more than ever. We all looking forward to next gen which seems to be like (according to specs) the greatest leap in visuals & physics in a very long time.

I'm not taking anything out of context.

It's all over the place and it will definitely come up with the first showings of next-gen exclusives. I can bet on it.

Sagii86

I'm not taking anything out of context.

It's all over the place and it will definitely come up with the first showings of next-gen exclusives. I can bet on it.

No it isn't. That rebirth demo is nowhere near CGI quality. You also forget the fact that cinematic graphics continue to evolve at the same time.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
No it isn't. That rebirth demo is nowhere near CGI quality. You also forget the fact the cinematic graphics continue to evolve at the same time.

I know it's not. I'm pointing out a link on twitter of a gamer here that had to ask a developer to get verification of his hardware of choice.

And yes, you are right CG evolves as well.

psorcerer

Banned
Disclaimer - No, this is NOT a game in development. It's simply a 3D Artist reel running inside UE4.

The artist was responsible for ONLY the environment. Ignore the character, the character was purchased of a 3D Market Shop for testing/demo real purposes.

Allrite on to the video - as far as environments go and foliage out of a 3rd Peron View Action/RPG game. Detail may vary based on complexity and detail of the environments obviously and whether it's open world or not, but with help of the SSDs I do jot think this should be much of an issue.

I expect the consoles will be running this kind of visual fidelity or even better as time goes on and the devs have more experienced with the hardware. Enjoy, let your thoughts and opinions flow.

This is the CLOSEST thing I've seen that resembles anything potentially to Fable as far as the artstyle and look goes.

If the Fable Reboot or Fable 4 or whatever it is from Playground Games I would not be surprised if the game looked any remotely close to this 3d demo art reel or better as far as environments go. That's going with the assumption that Playground is also using UE4 but maybe they're making their own custom engine. Anyways, sound off below fellas.

This is what I'm expecting.

RTX is OFF

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Every generation, we see some of the same people talking up what a game should look like. They speak of 1.8TFLOPS hardware showing games that have captured cutscenes calling it extremely excellent use of hardware, yet in the game itself, it's nothing to write home about. The 3D features are cut like no tomorrow, but the art direction is superb in the game making it "look" better than games on the PC that use significantly more bandwidth (i.e. using way more TFLOPS than even 10TFLOPS) but with inferior art direction. The rationale then is that some of these exclusive developers will be able to make damn near CG quality games in actual gameplay without the gamer having the knowledge of how to eat bandwidth very easily with just a few dials in the graphics engine.

I literally stated over and over again what next-gen visuals would look like and I've received nothing but the cold shoulder, again. It reminds me of the days when I gave the correct PS5 performance envelope and told people exclusives on the PS4/5 was coming to the PC.

I'll just sit back and watch the meltdown when the "next-gen" exclusives come out and a) some of them will look better on the PC because they'll be released on the PC as well as the PS5 and b) when the cutscenes will look much better but the in-game gameplay will look like what we see on PCs today.

Yes I agree that console hardware is no better then equivalent PC specs.
I fully expect games to look better on Pc, but what im asking is regardless if a game is on console or pc, what do you think next gen games will look like?

LordKasual

Banned
Every generation, we see some of the same people talking up what a game should look like. They speak of 1.8TFLOPS hardware showing games that have captured cutscenes calling it extremely excellent use of hardware, yet in the game itself, it's nothing to write home about. The 3D features are cut like no tomorrow, but the art direction is superb in the game making it "look" better than games on the PC that use significantly more bandwidth (i.e. using way more TFLOPS than even 10TFLOPS) but with inferior art direction. The rationale then is that some of these exclusive developers will be able to make damn near CG quality games in actual gameplay without the gamer having the knowledge of how to eat bandwidth very easily with just a few dials in the graphics engine.

I literally stated over and over again what next-gen visuals would look like and I've received nothing but the cold shoulder, again. It reminds me of the days when I gave the correct PS5 performance envelope and told people exclusives on the PS4/5 was coming to the PC.

I'll just sit back and watch the meltdown when the "next-gen" exclusives come out and a) some of them will look better on the PC because they'll be released on the PC as well as the PS5 and b) when the cutscenes will look much better but the in-game gameplay will look like what we see on PCs today.

this has always been the case though, this generation is just showing the biggest difference.

Limitations have always led to more impressive displays than raw power, IMO.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is nothing in that version of the game requiring more than 1.84TF. Art direction FTW. The PC version won't run on the PS4.

You can't just say "Art Direction" and then think we'll be tricked into thinking nothing technical made that game look so good on the PS4.

vkbest

I'd say TLoU2 already reaches that level of fidelity, except runs in 1080p 30FPS, as oppose to 4K60 like that UC4 teaser. But I agree, it's safe to assume NG, SMS etc. will be finally able to achieve what that teaser did.

Uncharted teaser was 1080p/60fps.

GymWolf

Gold Member

dude your optimism is almost more contagious than covid-19...

GymWolf

Gold Member

And yes you are correct that in some areas it does look pretty much on par with the Quixel demo.

When I saw the first gameplay trailers of death stranding, it almost seemed like a ps5 title, it looked a generation ahead of practically all other games, including pc titles.

dude, just no...

ZywyPL

Banned
Uncharted teaser was 1080p/60fps.

Really? I'm pretty sure I saw a 4K version of it back in the days... My bad then. Nevertheless, I still believe that this kind of level of details will be achieved, in 4K60 on PS5 and XBX from day 1.

vkbest

Really? I'm pretty sure I saw a 4K version of it back in the days... My bad then. Nevertheless, I still believe that this kind of level of details will be achieved, in 4K60 on PS5 and XBX from day 1.

Uncharted teaser was on 2014, PS4 pro released 2 years after. Why would Sony have a teaser on 4k, when original PS4 HDMI is not compatible with 4k (even if the games are not 4k)?

EDIT:

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
You can't just say "Art Direction" and then think we'll be tricked into thinking nothing technical made that game look so good on the PS4.

It didn't because every other game uses the same tech. You are more than welcome to pick out what you think is the "technical" elephant in the room and I can address that.

It didn't because every other game uses the same tech. You are more than welcome to pick out what you think is the "technical" elephant in the room and I can address that.
The ps4 was released in 2013. We can see that technically practically all PC games released in that year and prior pale in comparison to God of War, RDR2, Death Stranding, etc.

The character models are simpler, the animations are inferior, the textures are lower quality, the baked lighting is inferior. Perhaps there is one or two games that might be comparable in some way but in general most all are inferior.

Jon Neu

Banned
You implied that with using XSX specs to defend your case and refuted my claim that you need to look no further than current PC games @ max settings to know what next-gen visuals on consoles will look like.

Sorry dude, but that's bullshit.

You also made an assumption that's unequivocally false (consoles dictate tech). This is what led to the PC argument.

Consoles dictate graphical fidelity.

The same PC hardware that now renders current gen games, it's going to run much better looking next gen games in the next years.

With every console generation, the graphical bar is raised, on PC as well.

Veteran in here schooling everyone on how games are made again.. Silly rabbits don't you know anything?

This guy is VETTED! This guy is a PROFESSIONAL in an INDUSTRY!

You think you know more than a guy who is a professional in an industry? Hah! Get out of here with your pleb opinions and insight, ye petulant jobless hacks.

Veteran is the real deal, guys. He guessed foresaw that console exclusives would come to PC!.... Horizon fucking Dawn. He guessed foresaw PS5 would not be powerful. You think any PC elitist asshole could have made such claims? Inconceivable.

Graphics will not get any better than the best available on PC right now. Which is basically ported PS4 games in imperceptibly higher resolution. They literally can't get better because PCs have higher Teraflops and something something...

It is the Sony Devs art styling that allows them to push higher fidelity meshes, textures, materials and lighting from the previous gen's best PC games...
Not technology baseline improvements... You morons....

The only difference between Skyrim PC and RDR2 is art styles. That is how art styles work, you see? Foolish console peasants.

The industry professional has thus proclaimed and thus it shall be. Blessed be thy PC, amen.

VFXVeteran

Banned
The ps4 was released in 2013. We can see that technically practically all PC games released in that year and prior pale in comparison to God of War, RDR2, Death Stranding, etc.

RDR2 and Death Stranding will look better and play better than any console. What are you talking about?

God of War has nothing technically better than any 3rd party game released during that time. Nothing. There are NOT more polygons, they are not more textures, or better materials. It would be better if you guys actually had numbers. For example, how can a texture on any PS4 look better than a PC (high-end GPU) game when the texture sizes and it's filtering mode are higher and samples more texture space? PS4 is limited to 4X anisotropic texture spacing. That makes pretty much every texture look blurry in game. There are simply larger textures on every PC game.

You'll see the difference when the Sony exclusives come to PC.

The character models are simpler, the animations are inferior, the textures are lower quality, the baked lighting is inferior. Perhaps there is one or two games that might be comparable in some way but in general most all are inferior.

I'm going to ignore this post because it's blatantly console blind-warrior talk. It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to have a PS4 console do more 3D functionality than a PC game. ANY current 3D game! Are you kidding me?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Right. So console devs telling me that they have higher end assets for PC and port down to console is b/s. Sure. I guess these guys that work at Sony studios are blatant liars! Just like the 9.2TF performance numbers.. annnd.. H:ZD (and others that you'll see) coming to PC was also bullshit.

What game company do you work for? Thought so..

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm out of this thread Sony warriors.

I have neither the time nor interest in debating with a bunch of guys that know jack-shit about game development, 3D graphics, and only want to believe what they want despite me having reliable sources that work for Sony. That's just blatant disrespect at this point..

Peace..

Last edited:

Sagii86

Right. So console devs telling me that they have higher end assets for PC and port down to console is b/s. Sure. I guess these guys that work at Sony studios are blatant liars! Just like the 9.2TF performance numbers.. annnd.. H:ZD (and others that you'll see) coming to PC was also bullshit.

You read only what you like and ignore the rest. It simply means that in every generation consoles devs dictate a new standards in terms of visuals and then on pc we simply see performance boost of that instead of the opposite like it usually was before consoles introduced into gaming industry. Now PC will always be ahead because PC hardware is always evolving and not fixated, Ofc it's not a competition. Btw, can we stop with the "I have connections so I know better" attitude? You got yourself in awkward positions in the past on other forums (we both know which) so please stop and let's enjoy the upcoming gen.

Last edited:

Sagii86

RDR2 on PC looks like a game for the future even on stock mid settings. If you got the hardware to crank it to the max that's another story.

By far the best example of detailed open world we had so far (max settings on PC). I believe that's only the tip of the iceberg though, Unity shows impressive open world features to work with (ADAM series, The heretic).

Last edited:
There's no way... Are they really still using the creation engine for ES6?

Yes dude, I linked it on the first page. All you had to do was scroll down a bit. Star Field as well.

"Fallout 76 uses a new renderer, a new lighting system and a new system for the landscape generation. For Starfield even more of it changes. And for The Elder Scrolls 6, out there on the horizon even more," Howard tells Forbes, confirming that future games will indeed utilise the Creation Engine.

"We like our editor. It allows us to create worlds really fast and the modders know it really well. There are some elementary ways we create our games and that will continue because that lets us be efficient and we think it works best," Howard explains.

Translation - We're too fucking lazy but the sheep keep buying our buggy shit anyway so fuck making a new engine.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

Death Stranding cutscenes look like real life. I was not expecting this fidelity on ps4. and yet it is here, real time

Jon Neu

Banned

Uh?

Of course they have higher end assets for PC. But you said that next gen games are going to look like current gen games on PC, and that's just bullshit.

You don't need to work at the industry to see how consoles dictate graphical fidelity every generation that passes by.

You can't dispute the claim so you retort to muh credentials. Pretty weak as an argument.

Is the zoom meant to hide the fact that his feet aren't leaving footprints or even apparently disturbing grass? To be honest this didn't look much more advanced than Hellblade or Fallen Order, which doesn't surprise me considering the engine~ these games all look super in some ways and pretty average on others..

What I'm expecting from the next generation would have to include as a bare minimum permanent footprints and broken branches and the like~

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

The same PC hardware that now renders current gen games, it's going to run much better looking next gen games in the next years.

With every console generation, the graphical bar is raised, on PC as well.
That's nonsense. Consoles set the low bar. The graphical bar on PC far exceeds consoles today and has been for several years.

That's nonsense. Consoles set the low bar. The graphical bar on PC far exceeds consoles today and has been for several years.

I hate to say this but I was born and raised as a PC gamer at heart. But believe it or not, last 2 decades or so I've been enjoying my consoles way more and the reason being is simply because I don't have to deal with dumb shit like drivers and crashes that PC tend to have.

To put it simply I only use PCs these days for games like WoW, VR and Streaming and that's about it.

And also, I havent really seen any game on PC that's just much better looking than a 1st party title on a console. Gears 5 virtually looks identically on PC and Xbox One X too me and I own and played both versions. Last of Us 2 is insane as well and that's running on a shit tier system with 1.8 tflops along with God of War which is another amazing looking game.

Can we stop this PC master race shit please? If you're a gamer you'll enjoy the games themselves, and sure everyone has preferences what they wanna play on, but please stop coming in these threads and start a PC master race narrative. It's getting really fucking old and your not interesting.

Oh and you're also wrong about consoles setting the low bar, because developers develop games based on current gen system and optimize for those systems. The better the new gen consoles are the better games you will get because the new console specs is the new minimum specs that need to be optimized for.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I hate to say this but I was born and raised as a PC gamer at heart. But believe it or not, last 2 decades or so I've been enjoying my consoles way more and the reason being is simply because I don't have to deal with dumb shit like drivers and crashes that PC tend to have.

Sounds like it's a long time since you actually used one.

Jon Neu

Banned

That's nonsense, everytime there's a new generation of consoles, PC graphics get improved. Not only that, but a lot of console games are better than anything on PC when they launch at the start of the console generation.

And that's because consoles set the graphical fidelity and PC just goes from there and brute force it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
God of War has nothing technically better than any 3rd party game released during that time. Nothing. There are NOT more polygons, they are not more textures, or better materials. It would be better if you guys actually had numbers. For example, how can a texture on any PS4 look better than a PC (high-end GPU) game when the texture sizes and it's filtering mode are higher and samples more texture space? PS4 is limited to 4X anisotropic texture spacing. That makes pretty much every texture look blurry in game. There are simply larger textures on every PC game.

You'll see the difference when the Sony exclusives come to PC.

Dude you are getting weird. Literally nobody else actually believes this but you. And what is this love that you have with comparing every console game to the highest and most expensive PC made?

Sagii86

That's nonsense, everytime there's a new generation of consoles, PC graphics get improved. Not only that, but a lot of console games are better than anything on PC when they launch at the start of the console generation.

And that's because consoles set the graphical fidelity and PC just goes from there and brute force it.

While most of this is on point, we could have seen major leaps in visuals much more frequently if we didn't have consoles in the gaming industry. The sad fact is while they do dictact new standard's at the beginning of each generation, it's happens only once in 7-8 years simply because of marketing reasons. This concept is holding back the industry (tech wise).

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
While most of this is on point, we could have seen major leaps in visuals much more frequently if we didn't have consoles in the gaming industry. The sad fact is while they do dictact new standard's at the beginning of each generation, it's happens only once in 7-8 years simply because of marketing reasons. This concept is holding back the industry (tech wise).

The old 5-6 years generation lifespan was pretty much spot-on. But back then games took 1-2 years to make, it just wouldn't work with today's 3-5 years development time.

Sagii86

The old 5-6 years generation lifespan was pretty much spot-on. But back then games took 1-2 years to make, it just wouldn't work with today's 3-5 years development time.

The development time can be cut in half. That's also part of a very strategic plan that game studios have since they work under those major companies and well aware of their policies. This whole industry shifted when gaming became mainstream about 20-30 years ago.

Last edited:

T-Cake

And I think without the consoles, there would be no gaming industry. You'd be playing mobile games on Steam.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Yes dude, I linked it on the first page. All you had to do was scroll down a bit. Star Field as well.

"Fallout 76 uses a new renderer, a new lighting system and a new system for the landscape generation. For Starfield even more of it changes. And for The Elder Scrolls 6, out there on the horizon even more," Howard tells Forbes, confirming that future games will indeed utilise the Creation Engine.

"We like our editor. It allows us to create worlds really fast and the modders know it really well. There are some elementary ways we create our games and that will continue because that lets us be efficient and we think it works best," Howard explains.

Translation - We're too fucking lazy but the sheep keep buying our buggy shit anyway so fuck making a new engine.

I think those two games are fucked from the get-go. I don't see how they can develop anything with modern mechanics using that clown engine.

Sagii86

And I think without the consoles, there would be no gaming industry. You'd be playing mobile games on Steam.

Well, you can say that but that's clearly not that obvious. The point is something had to be changed then, and need to now (most likely won't).

Last edited:

hyperbertha

What the vetted industry veteran doesn't seem to acknowledge is that while his 25 TF PC can technically handle billions of polygons and scenes with 100gbs worth of assets, none of that power is actually used in any meaningful way by third party games, even at ULTRA settings.

This is because all game assets are primarily targeted to consoles (even though they are built on PC). Consoles absolutely do dictate vissuals, because it makes no sense for devs to up the quality significantly beyond the console baseline for a super minority of players existing on PC ready with their 2080ti cards. Its just the sad truth.

The legendary insider also spoke how next gen console games won't look better than ULTRA settings games currently on PC, which is not true because of the above points. What will happen is his glorious PC can expect to get a significant increase in game quality load the moment it loads a true next gen only title, which will have been developed targeting much more powerful hardware than current PCs are used to.

Top Bottom