• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This Is What Superheroes Would Look Like With Realistic Bodies"

The OP's selection with realistic bodies is laughably bad - those aren't even the "physical norma" - how about superheroes with fat bodies.. I think most people tend to beway fittter than that (well in australia anyhow)

Pandy

you *really* don't wanna incentivize that behaviour. Same reason why there should never be an oscar for Most Awesome-Looking Stunt With Practical Effects.
I completely agree, and don't know the best to address the issue, but it's weird to me that there's such a huge aspect of what actors do in modern film-making that goes completely unrecognised officially.

What put the idea in my head was watching Creed. Michael B. Jordon was off the mark for 'Best Actor', but gave one of the very 'Best Physical Performances' of the year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Agree. Comic artists should pens less time drawing fists and pecs and fake boobs and weird space monsters and more time learning how to draw human facial variation

No? I don't want to see any fatties in my media and I don't want to see uggos either.

I'd like to see someone do this where the heroes targeted the look of professional athletes. The characters should look strong and fit, but not have fake muscles and almost no body fat. This just made the characters look out of shape.

SomTervo

Hey I'd be up for dad bod superman

I never understood why realistic meant fat. Like are you calling people who are in shape unrealistic? That just seems like faulty logic.

It's not what's "realistic" it's the real average body size/shape of an American viewer

Here I was thinking that "realistic" would use people like athletes or professional fighters as templates, not an average person with a sedentary lifestyle.

True tho

No? I don't want any fatties in my media and I don't want to see uggos either.

Lol

Nitemare1

I always thought the way Alex Ross painted was how superheroes would look in real life.
Maybe The Riddler invented invented some kind of fat gun that he's been shooting at everyone.

Australian actor Nathan Jones is probably one of those people coming closest to the look of a superhero
or supervillain

Billed height 2.08 m (6 ft 10 in)
Billed weight 150 kg (330 lb; 24 st)

Dude looks incredible:

boagrius+02.jpg

In Troy

Rictus-Erectus-mad-max.jpg

in Mad Max: Fury Road.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Pictures doesn't do it justice. GOAT actor physique.

Vince McMahon Hoss certified

2035_-_autoplay_gif_gif_vince_mcmahon_wwf.gif

orava

Trying to pass obesity as normal is kinda fucked up tbh.

It's just pandering.

Recovery.org does not want to cure their clients. It's a huge business and they want to keep them in as long as possible so that they can keep selling stuff.

Kinyou

I wonder what they believe this evens accomplishes. Are people supposed to look at the obese Black Panther and say "Oh wow, he's so much cooler"? Putting them next to each other makes the obesity even more pronounced.

brawly

Those guys (I believe Jackman has mentioned it in interviews) kill themselves just for those specific scenes. Same thing with bodybuilders. They aren't walking around like that regularly. It's definitely unrealistic. I doubt Wolverine would have the energy to really fight evil if he was dehydrating himself to look for vascular.

Yep. This scene was very likely the first day of shooting and the Captain America scene was for sure, Chris even said so.

The pre-shoot pump also makes a huge difference.

Monocle

Agree. Comic artists should pens less time drawing fists and pecs and fake boobs and weird space monsters and more time learning how to draw human facial variation
No stahp how dare you, take it back. Comic book pecs make life worth living.

If anything, comic book artists should spend more time learning how to draw male anatomy, since only a handful like the primary artists for the latest Grayson and Guardians of the Galaxy runs really know what they're doing.

nded

I get that they're trying to curb unrealistic and harmful body image issues, but the body types in the edited images go a bit too far in the opposite direction to be "realistic" considering these particular characters are supposed to be athletic. These are more like what superheroes would look like with common bodies.

That said, comics could certainly use a greater variety than some degree or combination of "bodybuilder" and/or "model". There was a series of photographs from a while back featuring different Olympic athlete body types that could be a good reference.

haha, thought this would be about drawing comic book characters with more realistic proportions... but this like turning them into the average for obese countries. Not really the message we should be sending to kids, to give up.

eso76

Why aren't their faces ugly, though ?

No crooked teeth,
huge noses
Acne
Dandruff
Balding

Batman could be 5.6
Or have a huge head
Harley Quinn could have short legs
Superman could just have terrible hair from flying

sant

"Its okay to be fat"

Is this what our society has come to? I have to pay for other people's health care with my taxes, so everyone should be accountable to do whatever it takes to be healthy.

Daniel's a fatty

But he knows it https://youtu.be/M0CfNA12aFw

Well he was once a HW and still could be if he wanted to. The thing to take away is that he's still incredibly athletic and has better cardio than everyone else in the HW division and a good chunk of those in the LHW division.

He was also a collegiate All-American, Olympic Bronze medalist, Pan American Gold Medalist, and a Golden Gran-Prix gold medalist in Wrestling.

KillLaCam

Banned
Well he was once a HW and still could be if he wanted to. The thing to take away is that he's still incredibly athletic and has better cardio than everyone else in the HW division and a good chunk of those in the LHW division.

He was also a collegiate All-American, Olympic Bronze medalist, Pan American Gold Medalist, and a Golden Gran-Prix gold medalist in Wrestling.

He was pretty small (for a heavyweight) in most of his career in comparison to the strikeforce picture posted earlier, but gained like 40 pounds after his kidney failure training for the olympics in 2008.

Cain Velasquez is the heavyweight with the amazing cardio.

$

he's a fatty too so your point is still valid lol

I agree with everyone else that this is dumb; realistic shouldn't mean fat. Even if Henry Cavill and the giant from Mad Max have to bulk up for the shots, just watch an episode of Ninja Warrior. Plenty of the people on that show are ripped and aren't doing it just for bulk since the courses require some agility.

The most stupid cover has to be Cyborg though. The guy has a robot body. Does he even eat normal food? If they wanted to be realistic they should have stuck his head on one of the Boston Dynamics robot bodies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't understand the point. Even if we go for "realistic" body shapes, a character who always does extreme physical labor would still produce a certain build that is not obese.

Oh wait

relatable

every fucking time, this word is so dumb whenever it is used to describe something for fiction, or when you try to justify something

Kinyou

These threads are always disappointing to read in GAF. Still remember those illustrations by bulimia.com that got shared gaming side.
The people behind recovery.org are actually the same as the ones behind bulimia.com. Both sites have the same contact address.

I'm guessing they were happy about the attention they got so they decided to do it again

I don't understand how superheroes who fight crime and are active every day (as well as not being real) would be fat. Do they get the super munchies after fighting super crime? Look at the show 'The Arrow'. The guy who does the main character just completed American Ninja Warrior. What sense does making these characters fat?

Top Bottom