• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This Is What Superheroes Would Look Like With Realistic Bodies"

Australian actor Nathan Jones is probably one of those people coming closest to the look of a superhero
or supervillain

Billed height 2.08 m (6 ft 10 in)
Billed weight 150 kg (330 lb; 24 st)

Dude looks incredible:

boagrius+02.jpg

In Troy

Rictus-Erectus-mad-max.jpg

in Mad Max: Fury Road.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The only thing weird about comic book bodies are these super fit women with balloon tits.

I see those at the gym every day. People with fake boobs aren't real?

Hell, there are women who look like comic book heroines who have totally real boobs.

Source: me. As I dated one such woman a while back (the gods smiled upon me)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Australian actor Nathan Jones is probably one of those people coming closest to the look of a superhero
or supervillain

Dude looks incredible:

boagrius+02.jpg

In Troy

Just watched Fury Road recently, and totally didn't realize that was the same dude. Wow.

But yeah he's a literal monster, physically.

Pandy

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Pictures doesn't do it justice. GOAT actor physique.
It has to be said, given that he isn't a lifelong bodybuilder or martial artist, he's done an excellent job there.

I've often thought there should be a 'Physical Performance' award at the Oscars to reward the hell that some actors put themselves through for a few seconds of screen time. Not just in terms of bulking up, but also stuff like Christian Bale's near-skeleton in The Machinist.

It has to be said, given that he isn't a lifelong bodybuilder or martial artist, he's done an excellent job there.

I've often thought there should be a 'Physical Performance' award at the Oscars to reward the hell that some actors put themselves through for a few seconds of screen time. Not just in terms of bulking up, but also stuff like Christian Bale's near-skeleton in The Machinist.

you *really* don't wanna incentivize that behaviour. Same reason why there should never be an oscar for Most Awesome-Looking Stunt With Practical Effects.

Superman should be all bulk, his powers mean he rarely needs make an effort on day to day stuff.

Not a human physique, so no reason to think that his body would store excess energy in fat cells.

Plus even a human physique can gain muscle without exercise, if enough hormones are applied.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
How...? seriously. If anyone can point in the direction...

http://aretheyonsteroids.com/henry-cavill-steroids/

Talks about whats possible naturally and his regimen. Your diet needs to be dialed in perfectly too to attain that sort of muscle mass without getting all fat. Plus Cavill had the benefit of bulking from an extremely low bodyfat level. Packing muscle from a bodyfat level below 8% as a starting point isn't typical.

Its also wholly possible he was on steroids.

How...? seriously. If anyone can point in the direction...

One or more personal trainers living with you 24-7. One or more nutritionists personalizing your diet to your goals, activity, body type, and more. And then an intense weight cut to increase the look of muscle definition. There may or may not be performance enhancing drugs like Human Growth Hormone or artificial testosterone (HGH, from my understanding is more popular in Hollywood for this kind of thing).

Cavill did not maintain that look for very long. It's not at all easy to maintain, especially during filming. They go through these intense training schedules leading up to the movie (paid for by the studio) and get these types of shots first thing. Then the actor's training and diet can ease up while they film the rest of the movie since they're fully clothed and/or in bodysuits.

Most don't keep up the training and diet between films because it's hard and expensive. That doesn't mean they get completely unfit but Cavill isn't walking around with that look on an everyday basis.

J_Viper

Not to take away from the hard work that dudes like Cavill put in, but certain lighting and camera angles play a big part in giving you that extra size boost or what have you

Oblivion

http://aretheyonsteroids.com/henry-cavill-steroids/

Talks about whats possible naturally and his regimen. Your diet needs to be dialed in perfectly too to attain that sort of muscle mass without getting all fat. Plus Cavill had the benefit of bulking from an extremely low bodyfat level. Packing muscle from a bodyfat level below 8% isn't typical.

Its also wholly possible he was on steroids.

I keep forgetting he was the Immortals. He looks way better in MoS, though imo.

One or more personal trainers living with you 24-7. One or more nutritionists personalizing your diet to your goals, activity, body type, and more. And then an intense weight cut to increase the look of muscle definition. There may or may not be performance enhancing drugs like Human Growth Hormone or artificial testosterone (HGH, from my understanding is more popular in Hollywood for this kind of thing).

Cavill did not maintain that look for very long. It's not at all easy to maintain, especially during filming. They go through these intense training schedules leading up to the movie (paid for by the studio) and get these types of shots first thing. Then the actor's training and diet can ease up while they film the rest of the movie since they're fully clothed and/or in bodysuits.

Most don't keep up the training and diet between films because it's hard and expensive. That doesn't mean they get completely unfit but Cavill isn't walking around with that look on an everyday basis.

his pecs looks completely round. is that a genetic thing? I don't think i've seen a eight shaped chest like that before. it looks really cool, but not like the square buffed chests most people get.

LMAO!!! they just gave everyone an extra 20lb-30lbs, coming from a fat person this seems absolutely ridiculous;

1) people being in-shape isn't something unrealistic.
2) if your job was saving the city/planet/galaxy/universe I think you'd want to be in the best shape possible.

his pecs looks completely round. is that a genetic thing? I don't think i've seen a eight shaped chest like that before. it looks really cool, but not like the square buffed chests most people get.

You can somewhat target specific muscles groups for development but generally, yes, the specific shape you get is genetics. Completely luck of the draw.

While there are certainly some characters in comics, vidya, anime, etc who go well past what humans can actually naturally do body-wise, as a fat dude I personally think that pointing at super-thin/fit/busty/etc characters and saying their bodies are unrealistic is effectively a form of body-shaming. Sure, maybe it's "punching up," but you're still "punching" people who don't deserve to be punched.

And for most characters people point to when they do this shit you can usually find at least a few people (frequently cosplayers) who achieve that "unrealistic" body.

I do think that artists should be more varied with the actual body frames of their characters. Like as, rightfully, divisive as he is, I like the build that Frank Cho gives characters like She-Hulk.

But across the board, you see limited varieties with male characters (character's like Mr. Fantastic, Spider-Man, and Wolverine being the rare exceptions) and even less with female characters. Male characters all look like body builders with little variation and female characters like super models.

Being in shape is not realistic anymore? God damn, what a reality.

Superheroes are, for the most part, in a demanding field. Like athletes. Look at pro athletes as a more realistic build, jesus. Gymnasts, swimmers, bodybuilders, runners etc etc etc.

Just an idea to make fat people feel better about themselves.

pixelation

I never understood why realistic meant fat. Like are you calling people who are in shape unrealistic? That just seems like faulty logic.

Agreed, it takes work and restraint sure. But it's not impossible... if anything i feel kind of offended by these re-imaginations, i am in shape and i don't feel like i need to do anything extraordinary... sometimes i feel like some people just want an excuse for not taking care of themselves.

Being in shape is not realistic anymore? God damn, what a reality.

Superheroes are, for the most part, in a demanding field. Like athletes. Look at pro athletes as a more realistic build, jesus. Gymnasts, swimmers, bodybuilders, runners etc etc etc.

Just an idea to make fat people feel better about themselves.
Well, it's definitely not realistic to be able to see a character's chiseled abs through their clothes/armor. Just how thin/transparent/skintight/constantly drenching wet is that stuff? Maybe they don't deserve it, but to give them the benefit of the doubt maybe they're just trying to make a stupid "well duh" point like that and it's just not coming across that well...? It's still silly, but not as silly.

...Of course, that wouldn't explain the changes they made outside of that, so fuck if I know. Just weird. Whatever point they're trying to make, they're going way overboard with it, yeah.

akira28

This is making people disproportionately angry lol

It's ineffectual and a bit dumb, but it's ultimately nothing

its like someone intended to make a good message but instead stamped all over it with their dirty feet.

if there is a way towards body acceptance, I don't think it begins with giving the Black Panter diabetes.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Pictures doesn't do it justice. GOAT actor physique.

Those guys (I believe Jackman has mentioned it in interviews) kill themselves just for those specific scenes. Same thing with bodybuilders. They aren't walking around like that regularly. It's definitely unrealistic. I doubt Wolverine would have the energy to really fight evil if he was dehydrating himself to look for vascular.

I never understood how Superman actually got his muscles considering his strength is to do with our sun. Muscle mass is produced via very strenuous activity. What did Superman do to get his muscles, bench press a 18 ton truck all day for 20 years?

I mean we all know why super heroes have muscles I could just never understand how it's explained away in canon.

I never understood how Superman actually got his muscles considering his strength is to do with our sun. Muscle mass is produced via very strenuous activity. What did Superman do to get his muscles, bench press a 18 ton truck all day for 20 years?

I mean we all know why super heroes have muscles I could just never understand how it's explained away in canon.

is this a serious post?
are we really just now questioning realism in superhero comics that started in the 1930s?
we're talking about a fictional cartoon alien man who carries airliners like its nothing and really wondering how hes buff? god damn

Oblivion

I think it's fairly straightforward.

Sure, Supes benching 350 lbs. won't do much to build his muscles.

But benching 350 tons? That would help, I think.

Dynomutt

or supervillain

Dude looks incredible:

boagrius+02.jpg

In Troy

Could that be said about many professional athletes? People like Michael Phelps and LBJ are basically athletic freaks of nature. Other athlete even call them genetic anomalies.

sarcastor

Just work out and diet and you can go from zero to hero just like Cap

henry-cavill-before-after.png

"Mark was training Henry for 11 months. However he would begin filming in just 5 months. In this 5 month time frame Henry gained 20lbs of weight (2) and maintained his gains for the next 6 months"

i would say good genes plays just as an important role as diet and exercise. and having a trainer. and tenacity. and dedication. and a fat paycheck.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I really hate these. Aquaman swims for 24 hours a day; he should look overweight? Does Michael Phelps have a beer gut?

Aquaman eats plinkton, Michael Phelps doesn't. However, Michael should be eating more considering he would have the munchies though.

Xero

henry-cavill-before-after.png

"Mark was training Henry for 11 months. However he would begin filming in just 5 months. In this 5 month time frame Henry gained 20lbs of weight (2) and maintained his gains for the next 6 months"

i would say good genes plays just as an important role as diet and exercise. and having a trainer. and tenacity. and dedication. and a fat paycheck.

cavill was the only time i can think of where i could see his pecks through the skin tight suit and they werent a part of the suit.

ldar247

Banned
How fat or muscular you are is something you have complete control over. What we really should be asking is why super heroes don't have recessed maxillas or chins, long philtrums or bird profiles.

BI4mCG5.gif

StayDead

Just watched Fury Road recently, and totally didn't realize that was the same dude. Wow.

But yeah he's a literal monster, physically.

Thing is I can't imagine getting that body has been healthy for him. Usually going too far the other way is also dangerous even with the right methods.

It depends, but sometimes the yellow sun radiation builds his muscles, kind of like a balloon. And when in a severely weakened state, he deflates.

Not

Banned
or supervillain

Dude looks incredible:

boagrius+02.jpg

In Troy

Seems about average for an X-Man. Maybe Banshee level

I do think that artists should be more varied with the actual body frames of their characters. Like as, rightfully, divisive as he is, I like the build that Frank Cho gives characters like She-Hulk.

But across the board, you see limited varieties with male characters (character's like Mr. Fantastic, Spider-Man, and Wolverine being the rare exceptions) and even less with female characters. Male characters all look like body builders with little variation and female characters like super models.

Agree. Comic artists should pens less time drawing fists and pecs and fake boobs and weird space monsters and more time learning how to draw human facial variation

Here I was thinking that "realistic" would use people like athletes or professional fighters as templates, not an average person with a sedentary lifestyle.

LionPride

Banned

You ever been around farm boys?

There's your answer

Top Bottom