• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This Is What Superheroes Would Look Like With Realistic Bodies"

Henry-Cavill-workout1.jpg
Best part of that movie.

Smoking, drugs, and unhealthy diets are not typically depicted for the sake of generating positivity around them*, at least not anymore. It's widely understood that Tony Stark's alcoholism is terrible for him, for example.

Whereas there is a movement that not only seeks to normalize overweight and obesity, despite them wreaking havoc on American health, but actively TWIST public understanding of science by using bad and/or misleadingly using good studies to suggest that being fat is actually not unhealthy, but just a "different lifestyle choice". It is virtually impossible to get very far into the "body positivity" movement without encountering this sentiment, and it's an unbelievably destructive aspect of modern culture. I'd never bully a fat person - I WAS a fat kid, I got bullied, and I know it sucks - but at the same time, there has to exist a certain undercurrent of tension, a collective sense that we as a species still KNOW that it is unhealthy (and, yes, physically undesirable, because people do care about that), because if this is how fat we as a society get when there is still a stigma surrounding it, how the hell fat would we get if there were NO such stigma, as some seem to wish for?

*The exception being Goku, who can eat comically large amounts.

I was a fat kid too, because even though I was intelligent in school I was ignorant of how weight should be managed. These body positivity groups try to legitimise unscientific excuses to not lose weight and that leaves people confused and ignorant like I was. I have as much patience for them as I have for anti-vaxers

RedSwirl

There are legitimate actors who've played these rolls. You can't get more realistic than real people. There's no need to fatten them up because you shouldn't be comparing yourself to a cartoon.

It's kinda funny that this didn't immediately come up in the conversation.

Top sports athletes (barring competition darts) are in peak physical condition. I wouldn't expect a superhero to be any different.

Having said that, I don't think they all should look like they are shredded with huge trapezius muscles and bulging biceps. Flash, for instance, should be slimmer and leaner. He has no need for massive muscles.

I think Aquaman looks better in the revisioning. Elite swimmers aren't ripped anyhow.

And I prefer Cyborg in the revisioning as well. He doesn't look fat to me; he looks larger and more menacing as a result.

caliph95

Top sports athletes (barring competition darts) are in peak physical condition. I wouldn't expect a superhero to be any different.

Having said that, I don't think they all should look like they are shredded with huge trapezius muscles and bulging biceps. Flash, for instance, should be slimmer and leaner. He has no need for massive muscles.

I think Aquaman looks better in the revisioning. Elite swimmers aren't ripped anyhow.

And I prefer Cyborg in the revisioning as well. He doesn't look fat to me; he looks larger and more menacing as a result.
It would have been a more interesting experiment if they did that tbh i would like to see that

Mechazawa

I can sort of understand what they did to Black Panther, in that he doesn't necessarily look fat, but rather looks like a weight lifter. But:

1. Why the fuck would Black Panther be built like a weight lifter.

2. What in the fuck at those cheeks.

Superman at least just looks like a regular strong guy without a super tight professionally tailored outfit.

Unbounded

I actually would like this sort of thing.

Some thought put into the body structure that goes beyond "they're fucking jacked" would be pretty neat.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I can sort of understand what they did to Black Panther, in that he doesn't necessarily look fat, but rather looks like a weight lifter. But:

1. Why the fuck would Black Panther be built like a weight lifter.

2. What in the fuck at those cheeks.

Superman at least just looks like a regular strong guy without a super tight professionally tailored outfit.

Why would a "normal" body even look like this, though?

KxhVutn.jpg

They're either saying someone being morbidly obese or The Mountain is normal.

I actually would like this sort of thing.

Some thought put into the body structure that goes beyond "they're fucking jacked" would be pretty neat.

ESPN Body Issue magazine does a thing showing how various professions have different body types which would be a good reference.

Mechazawa

Why would a "normal" body even look like this, though?

They're either saying someone being morbidly obese or The Mountain is normal.

I'm taking a generous approach to their interpretation to "normal" body, but if we were to argue a "realistic" body, a weight lifter representing a superhero is probably more realistic than the hyper-cut, idealized superhero body in comics and film.

Aquaman just swims, all the fuckin' time, you literally cannot be constantly swimming and still have a belly unless you're eatin like a fuckin' whale. Literally like a whale.

news002.jpg

The 'Phelps diet' might be a myth, but, according to Phelps himself, he was still consuming 8-10k calories a day when in full-time training mode.

waxer

I've been to fire stations where everyone looks like they came from a firefighter calender. They be real superheros and just as buff.

"this is superheroes with realistic bodies... they just get fatter and fatter"
let me guess, this was designed in the us right?

So are the actors that portray these superheroes in movies just cgi or something? Because clearly no human can look in shape.

They aren't in that shape the entire time. The physiques you see in the shirtless shots take a lot of maintenence to keep. So they typically train and diet for those shots and then film them close together. After that, they actors still train and remain fit throughout the filming.. but not at the same level. It's very draining for them to keep that stuff up long.

news002.jpg

The 'Phelps diet' might be a myth, but, according to Phelps himself, he was still consuming 8-10k calories a day when in full-time training mode.
even admitting...
he's either a meso or an ecto at base..
and then he trains.. a lot..
so yeah, maybe he's quite higher than usual but that's that..

most people nowdays do desk//semi-desk job, don't train and eat 2k+ calories without the faintest care about macro.. especially in the us with extremely high carb eating style..

The image on the left isn't even how Black Widow is depicted in her own book. It's a 1 in 50 variant cover by cheesecake artist J. Scott Campbell. No average comic book reader is going to actually see that cover in a store shelf, and it's really intellectually dishonest of them to use that cover as an example when Marvel's depictions of their female characters have actually been very good as of late.

How she actually looks drawn by series artist Phil Noto:

and Chris Samnee that took over afterwards:

So unrealistic.

Is the noto run good? Worth getting?

cordy

Banned
This article is stupid lmao. "Realistic bodies", dawg watch these athletes. Don't be telling me that superheroes who do far more athletic things (hell some are straight aliens like Supes) have these "out of shape retired wrestlers" bodies.
More like Fat Panther

I laughed way too hard at this.

Eusis

Unless you're talking about someone who is notably inert most of the time (Xavier?) it doesn't really make sense for flabby to be realistic. If anything they'd be that WHILE ripped, and for women most likely they'd be about as buff as the men depending on their feats and powers. I guess I could see Superman having a mundane atheletic build because of drawing his power from the sun and also to stick out less as Clark Kent, but it really does seem like the right idea gone horribly wrong.

Superheroes shouldn't look totally ripped, ever. Strongmen bodies have a lot of bulk, which is what these images are.

People saying they just fat are wrong.

Einchy

Superheroes shouldn't look totally ripped, ever. Strongmen bodies have a lot of bulk, which is what these images are.

Since when are superheroes just standing around lifting a bunch of heavy stuff?

Superheroes are closer to pro athletes in lifestyle. You can't tell me that a character like Black Panther, who spends hours a day running, jumping, and engaging in hand-to-hand combat, would be built like a dude who stands in one place and lifts big rocks.

Wvrs

I don't get why we idealise out of shape bodies as 'realistic'. It's unnatural for human beings to be that way, for 99% of our history we were all hard, lean, fit, and it's only since the development of agriculture and surplus that we've become fat.

But it shouldn't be seen as normal, or healthy, and I don't care who that offends. Unless you have a valid reason, exercising for 3 hours a week and above all, watching what you eat, is something everybody can do.

Einchy

Superheroes are closer to pro athletes in lifestyle. You can't tell me that a character like Black Panther, who spends hours a day running, jumping, and engaging in hand-to-hand combat, would be built like a dude who stands in one place and lifts big rocks.

Black Panthers movie is going to be 2 hours of him just lifting fridges and logs.

C4Lukins

Superheroes not only have extraordinary abilities, but are also more out and about then your average human. If Black Panther sat on his ass eating cakes all day, then maybe that would be an accurate representation.

But that is not his character. He is not someone sleeping all day and eating pies at night. This is so stupid, not sure why I bothered.

You don't read comics.
Yeah I do, it superheroing 101. Most heroes don't do enough to get the bodies they have. The super strength ones especially should actually have problems getting ripped since what works for normal people shouldn't work for them. Wtf is a sit up gonna do for superman, is no workout from that for him.

Einchy

Yeah I do, it superheroing 101. Most heroes don't do enough to get the bodies they have. The super strength ones especially should actually have problems getting ripped since what works for normal people shouldn't work for them. Wtf is a sit up gonna do for superman, is no workout from that for him.
I asked when are superheroes JUST standing around lifting heavy stuff and you said all the time. Superheroes aren't sitting around eating 18k calories a day just so they can lift tires, so it makes no sense for them to have that body shape.

I especially love the idea that someone like Black Panther, Aquaman or Spider-Man would be that massive.

I asked when are superheroes JUST standing around lifting heavy stuff and you said all the time. Superheroes aren't sitting around eating 18k calories a day just so they can lift tires, so it makes no sense for them to have that body shape.

I especially love the idea that someone like Black Panther, Aquaman or Spider-Man would be that massive.

I specifically said super strength in my example.

As for others, what are they doing exactly that gives them perfectly ripped bodies, why are the athletic or gymnastic type ones often built like they trying to be bodybuilders? You don't get ripped being generally athletic, that's hour down the gym everyday working specific things, running about saving people doesn't do that. Why do those with a super suit that does all the work still end up the same?

The_Kid

I don't think anyone is legitimately claiming being overweight is just as healthy as being "fit". But any time someone who is fat is portrayed positively there are a number of people who act not like it is just undesirable, but that it is some moral failing that the overweight person should be held accountable for. And it verges on bullying sometimes.

People go out of their way to tell people they should change lifestyles, like it is any of their business whatsoever. And there is no way I buy it being because its "unhealthy" or some sense of altruism for other people.

There is a difference between shaming someone for being overweight, and promoting a healthy lifestyle. And for a lot of people, they don't know the difference. I like being chubby, I like other guys that are chubby. I'm confident in my body. And it would be really nice if the world stopped trying to shame me out of that.

-MB-

Why would super heroes be fat and out of shape anyway, they have an active lifestyle. That would rule out being overweight anyway. A realistic looking superhero would just be less toned and looking like a roided up bodybuilder yet still muscular all the same.

Top Bottom