• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This Is What Superheroes Would Look Like With Realistic Bodies"

Turin

Banned
Roy Jones was pretty much a real life super human. Functioned at the highest level in boxing with abnormal speed, agility and reflexes.

He didn't use PED's. There was nothing "unrealistic" about him. Just great genetics and training.

roy-jones-jr-looks-on-after-winning-the-fight-against-montell-griffin-picture-id157456372

Super heroes aren't supposed to look like people.

Nepenthe

She's morbidly obese. You want to promote diabetes, heart disease and cancer just so people can feel better about their unhealthy life style?

Because out of all the immoral and irresponsible shit that goes on in comics, an overweight woman being a positive character is where we draw the line.

Looking at Rob Liefeld "art" is cheating, the man has no grasp on how to draw humans.

Most respectable artist don't go out of their way to make superheroes that are human beings look like monstrosities. Even the most stylistic artist can convey some believability. Sometimes.

firelogic

When they say realistic, why do they go too far the other way all the time? You're either a perfect specimen or overweight.

.JayZii

Banned
593ff1861d00000a28cc2ac6.jpeg

Looked it up, Black Widow is a special ops agent and worked undercover as a ballerina (that part I read in her bio). Don't think the pic on the right would fly with her work descirption.
That's some unfortunate foreshortening.

It looks like she's had her forearms chopped off in the picture on the right.

Zoe

She has a body type you don't normally see in superhero comics. She's also not that obese. I think the X-Men are the only group that has heroes that aren't super ripped and in shape.
Uh, she absolutely is morbidly obese. "Not that obese" would be HQ in the OP.

Chumley

Banned
So "realistic" = fat?

I really despise even the idea of just keeling over and accepting the obesity epidemic in America, like throwing your hands up and just saying "well, this is the new normal"...

rtcn63

No question. You know how many people are competing to be superheroes and need that ridiculously-difficult-to-obtain figure?

I mean, when everyone is competing in a field filled with alpha beasts, you'd think that the use of hardcore gene-altering anal injections would be a thing. Like aren't the Infinity Stones basically just cosmic suppositories?

eizarus

Banned
At this point it's safe to say that even though it seems the creators had good intentions, ultimately:
4281f2c62a7058e30665e976389c6faf.jpg

Also wtf, how is that gif a jpg?

Nepenthe

Also, I feel the only one who looks significantly overweight is Black Panther. Spiderman does too but I can't tell if the intended effect is to actually show a realistic body folding in or not. Regardless, all of the others look closer to the nude models I've had to observe for life drawing, and I wouldn't classify those people as "fat."

The book isn't encouraging readers to become fat and live an unhealthy lifestyle. It's telling it's readers to love themselves.

I thought if you were overweight, you should hate yourself. Nothing gets life changes going like some good ol' self-loathing.

Calling that physique "overweight" is even worse. You're sliding the scale to make her weight acceptable.

Do you know what an obese person looks like?

You think the comic is doing more harm than good, despite all the positive press it's been getting?

Zaventem

Superheroes being super fit makes sense, stating that they don't have "Realistic Bodies" really irks me. There's this ongoing trend of putting any bodytype not the average as some mythical thing. "Real women" adverts shitting on skinnier girls, owned by the same company hiring the models they're railing against under a different brand name and so on and so forth. And this is coming from and overweight dude. Surely you can promote body positivity without shunning the folks that did work to achieve that goal and those that naturally have it.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I don't think kids role models should all be obese. They have their parents to role model that for them. I think fit superheros make sense, they have to rely on their bodies every day to save lives including their own. By all means don't force them to look like starved bodybuilders with 5% body fat, but "realistic" must mean something completely different to people than it does to me.

Fuchsdh

Because out of all the immoral and irresponsible shit that goes on in comics, an overweight woman being a positive character is where we draw the line.

I mean, if people are arguing that very fit and muscular bodies in these pages are harmful, then anything goes. We live in a world where noting someone is morbidly obese is a worse problem than that person being morbidly obese. I know which I consider the more pressing issue.

Top Bottom