• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This Is What Superheroes Would Look Like With Realistic Bodies"

The whole point of superheros is that they represent the apex of human potential and beyond. Making them ::ahem::...soft is antithetical to the whole concept.

This is ridiculous.... Good intentions but wrong in so many ways. A warrior king of an advanced society is overweight, makes no sense

If most of these Superheroes existed they would be in supreme shape because of what they can do and the lifestyle they live, flips and twirls burns calories. Characters like Harley I can understand giving more realistic proportions to as she's just a crazy person but Superman? He's meant to be god-like.

Everytime they do this they go to the extreme. Like Black Panther wouldn't be BMI obese 2.

Except you know he is a warrior and would have a healthy physique.

Dumb as fuck.

Savitar

So does this mean that people with healthy bodies are not realistic?

Cause they do exist.

*Points at all Super hero movies* CGI!!!!

I'm in better shape than Black panther apparently, with minimal exercise.

I mean, I think I get where they're coming from, people shouldn't be ashamed to go outside or similar because of self image issues but... There's a huge region between those and Chris Evans Captain America, and people should probably be aiming for that region.

daviyoung

Banned
Superman and BP both actually look closer to what an actual Strongman would look like.

Functional muscle and Model Muscle are quite different.

I find it kind of odd that everyone is looking at those images and saying they're unfit.

Example:

2017 World's Strongest Man Eddie Hall
eddiehall60uwt.png

even with that "functional muscle" fatboy Supes wouldn't be able to lift a plane like he does in Superman Returns

marrec

Banned
Superman and BP both actually look closer to what an actual Strongman would look like.

I find it kind of odd that everyone is looking at those images and saying they're unfit.

Example:

eddiehall60uwt.png

Eddie Hall ain't superman, he's trained his body for one very specific and highly specialized task. Yes, there are different body types and the traditional view of "fat" doesn't necessarily translate to "unfit" at all times but fuckin' Superman is an alien who gets power from our yellow sun and flies around and shoots laser out of his eyes I bet his body fat percentage is super fuckin' low.

Aquaman just swims, all the fuckin' time, you literally cannot be constantly swimming and still have a belly unless you're eatin like a fuckin' whale. Literally like a whale.

kswiston

Example:

eddiehall60uwt.png

Superman's strength has nothing to do with his muscles actually. He could be fat and still work as a character. In Flashpoint, he weighed about 95 lbs and was still the strongest being on the planet.

Some of the others, not so much. Also, most of these characters are going to look like athletes, and not deadlifters.

Example:

eddiehall60uwt.png

Because that's not what they look like and BP is acrobatic and is jumping around and shit. He isn't going to have a weight lifter's build. He's going to have a gymnasts

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Example:

eddiehall60uwt.png

Superpan does more than just lift shit and pull tires. He also fights, a lot. If he was human, which he isn't, he would resemble an mma fighter or a boxer.

Superman never kicks and hardly runs so he would have skinny ass legs ;)

Example:

eddiehall60uwt.png

I did a quick google image search of Worlds Strongest Man and a bunch of those guys are pretty defined. 6 Pack Ab defined.

this is real dumb. abs are totally realistic.

can i get a job at HuffPost? seems pretty easy. scan some comic book covers and stretch them by 10% (actually, just get the intern to do this) and write an article at the last minute.

Regginator

This is ridiculous. How are those examples "realistic"? They're fat, plain and simple. We shouldn't sugarcoat it. Sure, I agree the usual superhero looks unrealistic, but that has very little to do with muscle and more to do with the inhuman body proportions (like a huge chest and biceps, relatively tiny legs). So how about instead of portraying them all fat saying it's "realistic", we just give them normal body proportions for someone that's fit, say 8/10%?

This is like the complete opposite of fat shaming, it's fat enabling. Obviously who fat shames is a fucking asshole, but we also shouldn't encourage unhealthy lifestyles.

JaseMath

This is stupid. The whole idea of superheroes is having something/someone to aspire to and for the suspension of disbelief. No one wants a normal superhero.

I don't get it. Yeah, actors are playing these comic book characters, but these actors are muscular/in shape. It wouldn't be hard to achieve those results, even if it took longer than the use of HGH from actors.

f0lken

Example:

eddiehall60uwt.png

Is BP an strongman by definition? Obviously he is strong, but the guy keeps jumping, climbing, running and generally using a lot of agile movements, which I somehiw doubt he could do if that was his body. I doubt Eddie Hall is also a decathlon top athlete

JB1981

Apparently athletic people just don't exist!

What is so wrong with idealizing the human form? Like who the hell does this impact? No one wants to read a comic about friggin Black Doughboy. They want the Black badass, ripped as hell, Panther. Where do these people come from?

DOWN

Banned
Why would a superhero or vigilante be that out of shape tho? They'd be pretty agile in physique and not the average overweight obese or not lean bodybuilder body, no?

marrec

Banned
Is BP an strongman by definition? Obviously he is strong, but the guy keeps jumping, climbing, running and generally using a lot of agile movements, which I somehiw doubt he could do if that was his body. I doubt Eddie Hall is also a decathlon top athlete

What you've never seen Eddie Hall do parkour?

Superpan does more than just lift shit and pull tires. He also fights, a lot. If he was human, which he isn't, he would resemble an mma fighter or a boxer.

Superman never kicks and hardly runs so he would have skinny ass legs ;)
How much does Superman actually "fight" though? I mean how many times has he exchanged fists like an MMA fighter? Has he ever fought like a DBZ character?

jstripes

Banned
The motivation here is reaching a bit. They're not expecting superheroes to be fit? They have to be fit in order to do what they do.

Now, yes, they tend to be drawn with unrealistic proportions, but sliding the scale all the way to "average American" is still not a good representation.

Volimar

Shouldn't they be based more on where they're from? I don't imagine that there are a lot of overweight Wakandans. Or Kryptonians? What an odd message to send. I understand body acceptance, but there's nothing wrong with superheroes being drawn to an ideal athletic body. I mean, some artists definitely go overboard, but still.

I mean honestly, people cosplay as these guys and girls and they look the part.

It would be counter productive to virtually every other aspect of the characters life style outside of strength for him to be like that.

Pau

I'm pretty sure the X-gene doesn't just give women superpowers but also larger then average chests. Can't explain the women who aren't mutants though.

even with that "functional muscle" fatboy Supes wouldn't be able to lift a plane like he does in Superman Returns

And ideal body type Supes would be able to lift even less. So I'm not sure what your point is exactly.

The low body fat body types that most athletes have is due to the fact that Strength isn't what they need primarily to compete in their respective sports. So for strength based characters, something closer to a Strongman physique isn't a bad approximation.

And with most of these characters having their power have little to do with actual muscles, even the low body fat physique isn't actually accurate. In that respect, Spidey is probably more accurate than most depictions of someone like Superman or Captain America.

But all that's just an aside. My primary point is that having a high BMI doesn't necessary mean unfit. Which is part of the reason why BMI is a bad metric for health.

What is so wrong with idealizing the human form? Like who the hell does this impact? No one wants to read a comic about friggin Black Doughboy. They want the Black badass, ripped as hell, Panther. Where do these people come from?

average people can't jump over buildings either, better make Superman only able to jump 2 foot off the ground.

Top Bottom