• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This Is What Superheroes Would Look Like With Realistic Bodies"

CDX

They just photoshoped everyone to be overweight.

Wait since I'm in better shape than photoshoped Superman and photoshoped Black Panther does that mean I'm not a real person? I think I look pretty realistic myself.

I agree with people saying they shouldn't have used the word "realistic" they should've used "average" or "average American" or something instead.

LordRaptor

And with most of these characters having their power have little to do with actual muscles, even the low body fat physique isn't actually accurate. In that respect, Spidey is probably more accurate than most depictions of someone like Superman or Captain America.

I think you're missing a pretty huge chunk of Caps origin story saying that, because we know exactly what a Captain America pre-super solder serum looks like

Listen, he got pics and that is how it happened. I didn't come here to get lectured by a g-tier Darkstalker's character

G means greatest, right?

Rising Stars shows how someone with that exact power set ends up
TweXAA1.gif

You can also diet down and be fit. Honestly, with how much superheroes move around, they'd be skinnier from all that extreme cardio. Unless they can't burn calories well cause of their lit super genetics. (When you don't exactly need effort to lift a planet...)

That's kind the of catch too. I mean we all know Superheroes are designed to have an ideal aesthetic (for the most part, always exceptions). That's part of the reason Superman today looks different than Golden Age Superman.

I just think it's a bit too much to say, "well they look fat" when really the designs are closer (not perfect) to high BMI looks while simultaneously saying "well they're really active so they wouldn't have high BMI" because.. well all that activity isn't based on normal body function anyways.

That's why I said Spidey probably looks the most realistic given that he's neither high BMI or particularly low BMI. He's just a Kid/Young Man of average build.

Most people are saying Aquaman should be super fit because he swims all the time. Dude lives on the bottom of the ocean. He'd need a healthy layer of blubber to avoid freezing to death.

Fat Aquaman is the true Aquaman.

f0lken

They should have used better examples if they wanted to make them fat. Like Magneto, he works because is a great character and his power is not what we would think require a fit, super model body so we could buy that the guy doesn't really excercise that much. He was old in the Xmen movies and that didn´t take away anything from his character as we know him.

rtcn63

That's kind the of catch too. I mean we all know Superheroes are designed to have an ideal aesthetic (for the most part, always exceptions). That's part of the reason Superman today looks different than Golden Age Superman.

I just think it's a bit too much to say, "well they look fat" when really the designs are closer (not perfect) to high BMI looks while simultaneously saying "well they're really active so they wouldn't have high BMI" because.. well all that activity isn't based on normal body function anyways.

That's why I said Spidey probably looks the most realistic given that he's neither high BMI or particularly low BMI. He's just a Kid/Young Man of average build.

No, those redesigned covers are arguably in "fat" territory. I say this as a person who probably was at 30%+ bodyfat awhile ago.

And these guys train. Just moving around training from practice combat etc. Don't they? They'd have to tire themselves at some point, so burnt calories and shit. Also super genetics could also mean super calorie burn in general. Who the fuck knows.

I think you're missing a pretty huge chunk of Caps origin story saying that, because we know exactly what a Captain America pre-super solder serum looks like

I'm not missing anything with Caps origin story. The story behind the characters don't matter in the context of the topic or of my point.

Monocle

Whatever. Idealized bodies are cool. We don't need all of our superheroes to be dumpy average Joes. This is a stupid exercise.

They could have just used Alex Ross. He draws fat superheroes.

The problem is less that superheroes are too muscular, it's that they have prominent muscles that don't actually exist.

blackflag

593ff1851d00000a28cc2ac5.jpeg

594052781d00002900cc2c53.jpeg

593ff1851d00000a28cc2ac4.jpeg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...de4b003d5948b6f3f?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000050

So if I'm being incredibly generous, I can say that maybe the hearts of these people at Recovery.org is in the right place. But even then, the idea that they feel it kids to be told that it's okay to look like the images on the right is, in my opinion, fairly destructive. Just because there are more people in the country who look like the images on the right as opposed to the left does not mean that it's a good thing and that we should be encouraging more of that.

Not to mention that these are SUPERHEROES, and doing all the things they do, you would EXPECT them to be looking incredibly fit and healthy.

I guess I get the point but I see people that look like superheroes everyday in the gym so why would the fittest superheroes on earth look like the images on the right.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Stop normalizing obesity. This is why 39% of America is classified as obese.

giphy.gif

WaterAstro

Why is it realistic to be obese? No one should promote being obesity as a good thing, and no one should shame obese people.

I see more women with Harley Quinn's "toned body" (more like just having a slender, petite body) more than I see the altered one.

cr0w

Old Member
This reminds me of a news story I saw recently about an obese lady complaining to the news that she wasn't hired as a waitress at The Tilted Kilt. Her complaint was that "real women" don't look like the waitresses they hired or something. I guess she thought the staff were androids or holograms or something.

RDreamer

I just have to say I love that people are getting all logical talking about how super heroes train and would definitely look a certain way. Super heroes. People from other planets or that live underwater.

No, those redesigned covers are arguably "fat". I say this as a person who probably was at 30%+ bodyfat awhile ago.

And these guys train. Just moving around training from practice combat etc. Don't they? They'd have to tire themselves at some point, so burnt calories and shit. Also super genetics could also mean super calorie burn in general. Who the fuck knows.

Most Superheroes powers don't derive from actual physical activity. Most have powers of some sort. So applying the normal functions of bodies to superpowered heroes seems like a stretch.

For heroes like Batman, Arrow, Wolverine (to an extent), sure. But heroes with increased speed, strength, reflexes, etc... that doesn't come from their bodies the way a real world athletes does. Otherwise most of them would tear their bodies apart just using the powers. Do you get what I mean?

Honestly there's very little real world logic that explains superpower physiques. They're just designed to be visually appealing. And as societies ideals have changed, so have characters designs.

I was expecting less of the 'hyper real' exaggerated proportions used in comics and instead basing their physiques on actual Olympic athletes and sportsman.

But it's actually just showing them being unhealthy. So 'fit shaming' was the goal here I guess? Seems pretty stupid and if anything a worse message to be sending out.

'Here's what your heroes would look like if they were more like you, you fat fuck!'

Yeah Superman is strong due to his functional muscles...
Or because he is literally a God.

Just back from the gym and seen guys with physiques near to the images on the left than anything else.

norm9

They're just designed to be visually appealing. And as societies ideals have changed, so have characters designs.

With the pushback against strong and healthy physiques giving way to more love yourself as you are, I worry that the "after" pics of these heroes are going to end up as the default soon.

eta- Thinking about it, I can see how a "realistic" black panther COULD work. He's super rich so he can just sit on his throne and build robots to do what would normally require his supreme abilities.

rtcn63

Most Superheroes powers don't derive from actual physical activity. Most have powers of some sort. So applying the normal functions of bodies to superpowered heroes seems like a stretch.

For heroes like Batman, Arrow, Wolverine (to an extent), sure. But heroes with increased speed, strength, reflexes, etc... that doesn't come from their bodies the way a real world athletes does. Otherwise most of them would tear their bodies apart just using the powers. Do you get what I mean?

Honestly there's very little real world logic that explains superpower physiques. They're just designed to be visually appealing. And as societies ideals have changed, so have characters designs.

You know you can keep a low bodyfat by just restricting calories. And visual appeal aside, there is causality if their bodies were originally conceived to parallel human genetics. Superhero shit = lifting + cardio. It's not like "hey real athletes are massively overweight with little muscle so let's just make superheroes the opposite for some fucking reason".

Raptomex

Yeah Superman is strong due to his functional muscles...
Or because he is literally a God.

Just back from the gym and seen guys with physiques near to the images on the left than anything else.
Exactly. People have bodies like this. These types of people exist. They need to stop using the word "realistic". Those bodies are perfectly realistic.

Superman doesn't lift a building because he works out. He's got Comicbook nonsense on his side. You think Wonder woman punches tanks because she's shredded? Her body size and shape are equally meaningless.

With the pushback against strong and healthy physiques giving way to more love yourself as you are, I worry that the "after" pics of these heroes are going to end up as the default soon.

Take ten minutes to look at Instagram and that will tell you that most people want to be fit...and sell tea and protein.

Black Panther moar liek Black Bear. 😋😋😙😗👌👌😖😝💦〰️💦😖😖

Top Bottom