• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This man should be president

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Obama came out of fucking no where and people are already saying he will/should be president in the next 10-15 years. How do you know someone else more qualified and more likely to win a presidential election won't pop up before then? Hell, do we really know much about Obama other than that he's a good speaker and doesn't come off as a tool?

demon said:
Obama came out of fucking no where and people are already saying he will/should be president in the next 10-15 years. How do you know someone else more qualified and more likely to win a presidential election won't pop up before then? Hell, do we really know much about Obama other than that he's a good speaker and doesn't come off as a tool?
Personality goes a long way.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Squirrel Killer said:
Personality goes a long way.
Oh yeah, forgot, I was just thinking of the whole "qualifications" thing.

maynerd

Banned
Inumaru said:
I get the feeling most of you missed Obama's debates with Keyes?

I'm not a huge Keyes fan (he's a bit too conservative for me in spite of his towering intellect), but he thoroughly dismembered Obama in every single Senate debate. Now, Keyes is a long time master of this medium/arena, but there were some particularly gruesome scenes that I recall. If nothing else, Obama needs more time and more grooming. He's a long way from Presidential material at this point, IMHO.

OTOH, pull a President Palmer out of your pocket and he's got my vote any day. :)

Just did a google search on a debate with Keyes. Haven't read it yet. Enjoy the show.

http://www.renewamerica.us/archives/media/debates/04_10_12irndebate.htm

demon said:
Oh yeah, forgot, I was just thinking of the whole "qualifications" thing.
The way I look at it, is in 2008, he has more than enough experience to be VP and is so attractive as a campaign asset (locks in IL & HI, minimizes the very small trend of African-Americans switching to vote R, amazing oration makes ticket look better) that the D nominee would be foolish to not bring him on board. After eight years in the White House, he'll be the front-runner for the 2016 nomination. 8 years in the IL Senate, 4 in the US Senate, and hypothetically, 8 as Veep is not all that bad as aspirants to the Presidency goes.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I remember being impressed with Keyes throughout his many debates over the years, but the man will never ever be elected. Why? He's too black. The popularity of people like Obama and also Colin Powell demonstrates this. I wish it weren't so, but it's true.

I agree with previous posts, Obama in 2012 at the earliest, but I think he has a legit shot at winning it. I think Hillary is doomed if she tries. Too many people will think, "I don't want an uppity bitch as my President!" and vote for whomever runs on the GOP card (obviously not Cheney).

NLB2

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
The war has dragged on for 2 yrs 7 months, no substantial improvement has been made. We need to do a carefully measured pullout immediately.

Or ... vote Obama in 2008.

Great timing, Barak Obama!

Right after General Abizaid lays out a plan for troop withdrawls that are set to begin this month. WTF was the point of this speech?

jgkspsx

Big Nate said:
I remember being impressed with Keyes throughout his many debates over the years, but the man will never ever be elected. Why? He's too black.
WTF? The reason Keyes will never be elected is that he's a certifiable, Jack Van Impe-level fruitcake.

maynerd

Banned
NLB2 said:
Great timing, Barak Obama!

Right after General Abizaid lays out a plan for troop withdrawls that are set to begin this month. WTF was the point of this speech?

Actually General Abizaid laid out the plan after the Democrats have been yelling and screaming about it for sometime now. This is also after the Republicans and the White House said that we need to stay the course. The Democrats were right and now the Republicans and white house are starting to realize it. Watch over the next few weeks as the republican message begins to follow the message the democrats have been saying for some time now.

AssMan

Banned
If one looks at the Balkans пїЅ our most recent attempt to rebuild war torn nations пїЅ the international community, from the European Union to NATO to the United Nations, were all deeply involved.

Well, one thing IS clear. The UN won't do anything during wartime, but wait until after it's over, and help with reconstruction. :lol

littlewig

Banned
Holy shit, that's one of the best speeches I've read in a loooooooooooong time.

But I guess after spending 5 years listening to Bush speak, a 12 year old presenting his science project would be impressive.

Nonetheless, Obama has the right idea. Put aside the fucking politics, come up with a fucking plan to fix this shit. Best way to start is for bush to man up to his fucking mistakes and end the war in Washington, JFK style.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wendo said:
Our generation SERIOUSLY lacks real leadership to look up to. We have no FDR or Kennedy. The closest thing we had was Clinton.

But I think that Obama is really the most inspiring leader that's in politics right now. It gives me hope.
I agree. The Presidency is really two offices. An effective executive decision maker on the one hand, and a strong figurehead leader on the other. Obama already has the second office nailed. He's already clearly qualified for it. Whether or not he is up to that first challenge is unknown.

Also, some of the best orators, political speakers, and leaders in this country's history were never President. Your Daniel Websters and Henry Clays and the like. Obama could easily turn into one of those kinds of leaders, commanding respect and influence from a leadership role in a practically permanent seat in Congress. So far I've heard little from the Obama camp that indicates that he wouldn't be happy with that. It seems almost entirely like outsiders and pundits who are practically begging him to run, either in 2008 or in later elections.

What if a Democrat wins in 2008?

That doesn't matter. For example, Ted Kennedy came very close to being the Democratic choice for President in 1980 because Jimmy Carter was pretty much hated by all at that time. If a candidate is doing that bad, they won't get nominated for the next term by a political party.

So lets say Hillary ran and won in 2008 but everyone hated her. Obama could very well be running for President and nominated by Democrats in 2012.

That happens. Every election term on both sides, there's always some prodigy who comes off as a straight shooter. They overwhelmingly win and then pretty much disappear as fast as they come. Obama very well might not even give a shit about being President and decide to stick to being a Senator. Its happened with lots of candidates before.

I agree that we need a guy who gives a shit about the country instead of morals but its not going to happen. The reason is that the power of both parties is held by billionaire kingpins (yes, they are there on the Democrat side too) who use the President as their little marionettes. Thats why I'm hoping this grassroots plan Howard Dean has will work because then the power will no longer be held by douchebags like Schaife and Soros.

Drozmight

cubanb said:
NO, THIS MAN SHOULD:
24.jpg

What the fuck frequency you on?! ::sets up a lawn chair::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom