• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This may be blasphemy, but there is one problem with Chrono Trigger

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It is the design of the final form of the Lavos Encounter.

846635140880242321.gif

The fuck is that? After the absolutely menacing (and terrifying because of THE scream) 2nd form this turns up.

Now about the actual character design. We have a humanoid thing with two "hearts" floating next to it as targettable enemies. Lavos' humanoid appearance is obviously mimicking humanity. Were they going for an ancient alien look? An eldritch abomination (though I'm not sure I buy this because the 2nd form was so menacing looking)? Or was he supposed to appear this weird looking and small to show that deep down in Lavos this thing is is the actual Lavos and that the rest was just window dressing?

Now the fight part itself, I think it was adequately difficult challenge at the time to beat it.

I don't even know if I recognized the detail of the eye on my original crt.

Does anyone know if there are sketches by Toriyama? I figure he was designing something close to Cell

also the game is way to easy and uses the same gimmick (attack the healer first) for boss battles over and over

it's only slightly less overrated than final fantasy vi

music is amazing tho

Kaisos

The bigger dude isn't even the real Lavos. The orb on your left is. You have to kill that one to win.

Ishida

Banned
I thought you were going to talk about its sequel

That'd be wrong then, because Cross is awesome.

Regarding the topic, the real Lavos core is the right bit. The center bit is just a decoy to grab the party's attention.

I think it's appearance is meant to signify that Lavos has been absorbing the DNA of all creatures on the planet, and since the dominant species are humans/humanoid, it had begun to mutate into a more humanoid state.

kromeo

There's more then one problem, the whole moon section or wherever it is is a bit of a slog compared to the rest of the game, imo obviously

Eumi

Seems to be a theme with Toriyama. Stuff gets smaller as it powers up.

I dunno, I like it. But yeah, it's not definitively better than 2nd form so I can see it being a letdown.

eggandI

Banned
I didn't mind the design but I raged pretty hard at its attacks lol

Luckily Chrono was there to save the day.

LUMINAIRE!

zeelman

It works well as a nonsensical final boss form. If they figured out a way to make the bad ass second form the real final boss that would be great.

Defective14

Neo Member
Chrono Cross is the better game.

The issue with Chrono Trigger is that people hold it to be this timeless classic...when it's not at all whatsoever.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Can we shut up about Cross and agree that that stupid dog astronaut looks dumb as hell

Defective14

Neo Member
Chrono Cross is a better standalone game than a CT sequel. That music...

Technically, it's not a sequel. Radical Dreamers was the sequel to Trigger and Cross followed after that.

But boy! I love how in canon Crono is a coward. It's great.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah the weird ass chicken man Lavos always seemed like a strange choice.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Parts of the beginning are kind of a bore, IMO. They get as much praise as the rest of the game, but for me, Chrono Trigger isn't captivating until I've finished my first trip through 2300 AD. Crono/Marle/Lucca is a snore party combination.

After that, it's impeccable.

LeleSocho

Banned
Can we shut up about Cross and agree that that stupid dog astronaut looks dumb as hell

No because Lavos' design is pure genius? Not only Big Menacing Thing final form is not a bigger and badder version of himself but the fact that the true true form is the little thing on the right and not the humanoid thing.

Whoever came up with the idea is a god.

Ishida

Banned
No because Lavos' design is pure genius? Not only Big Menacing Thing final form is not a bigger and badder version of himself but the fact that the true true form is the little thing on the right and not the humanoid thing.

Whoever came up with the idea is a god.

That's pretty much Toriyama's way of designing villains. The smaller and slender they look, the more powerful they usually are. See Vegeta, Frieza, Cell, Buu.... Lavos is just a continuation of that. The outer shell is massive. The inner body is smaller but still huge, and the core is tiny, but insanely powerful.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I do feel like FFVI is pretty overrated. It's not my favorite FF, nor even my fourth favorite. It's quality, though. It just hasn't truly clicked for me since I was like 11 for whatever reason.

Of course, "overrated" is admittedly a pretty silly phrase. This is how I feel, but the majority of JRPG enthusiasts praise it as a terrific experience and one of gaming's best. It's probably not you, FFVI, it's me.

While we're at it, FFIV is a better Final Fantasy game than FFVI.

Let's not get hasty.

Menitta

I never finished Chrono Trigger because I couldn't beat the final boss. Still one of my most loved games though. It's got the best fail ending.

THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
We're doing this, right? *crickets* Well fine, I'll do this without you.

Best. Game. Ever. Tier
Final Fantasy VII

Top. Ten. Games. Ever. Tier
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy IX
[Chrono Trigger's placement]

Great Games, But Not The Best Tier
Final Fantasy V = Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII = Final Fantasy XII

Decent Games Tier
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy

Audible Meh Games Tier
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III

Black Omen was way too long.

Also, even though it's a cartoon world, it always drives me mad how unrealistically far behind they've placed prehistoric times.

Top Bottom