• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This may be blasphemy, but there is one problem with Chrono Trigger

Defective14

Neo Member
Edgy. Cross not only aged terribly, but it sucked in its own time. Chrono Trigger is a classic that deserves a remake.

I played it recently and, to me, it hasn't aged terribly at all. It was way better than Trigger when it came out. Trigger has a remake on the 3DS, that's all it needs.

Cross needs a remake if nothing else.

You know why FFVI sucks? Because of a playable cast of fourteen characters, only three of them manage to be women.

Three and a half.

No one knows what Gogo's gender is.

And two of those 14 (mog and umaro) are nonhuman monsters/creatures without an obvious gender.

Kaisos

To be fair, two of them are the closest thing the game has to a proper main character. I'd say Terra and Celes are the two most important characters in the game.
Yes, but it's still telling that in spite of the large cast size, there are only three women, just like every other FF game.

And two of those 14 (mog and umaro) are nonhuman monsters/creatures without an obvious gender.

Please, both are referred to as male.

PSqueak

Banned
I personally loved the "Spaceman" form, and i found hilarious/genius that said spaceman was a decoy and the real main unit was one of the little bits.

mortal

Gold Member
I thought you were going to talk about its sequel

Yeah, I came here just expecting the word "cross"

What sequel?

This is why we can't have nice things. Spoiled rotten smh.

Chrono Cross was a solid RPG, especially considering this came out on PS1. Gorgeous art and presentation, wonderful soundtrack, decent battle system, even a variety of recruitable party members.

It's not a perfect game sure, but at least worthy of some acknowledgement.

Sephzilla

Yeah the fact that the humanoid spaceman centerpiece of the battle is just a diversion and the real Lavos is an inconspicuous orb was a really clever twist.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Chrono Cross is the anti-FF6 when it comes to characters. FF6 has a deep roster of characters that are all pretty fleshed out and interesting. Chrono Cross has a deep roster of characters, but most of them aren't fleshed out at all and are boring as hell.

Yeah, that's always been one of my main issues with Cross as well. Trigger was really well served by having a small cast and giving each party member an important chunk of development/exposition, usually in a way that related to the major events in their specific timelines. Cross just has too many to give most of them a reasonable amount of screen time. Outside of initial appearance gimmicks like "skeleton", "scarecrow", "alien, "baby dragon", etc, they all kind of get lost in the shuffle.

Then there's also the fact that the continuously expanding cast was the reason they cut the Magus/Gil storyline, which was just a terrible trade.

Defective14

Neo Member
This is why we can't have nice things. Spoiled rotten smh.

Chrono Cross was a solid RPG, especially considering this came out on PS1. Gorgeous art and presentation, wonderful soundtrack, decent battle system, even a variety of recruitable party members.

It's not a perfect game sure, but at least worthy of some acknowledgement.

Oh. Thought you were talking about Trigger there for a moment since you can shift a couple words and it's the same statement.

Ishida

Banned
Metacritic isn't everything, you know.

For example, FF13 has an 83 there. I'd imagine there being a lot of people not agreeing with that, to say the least.

Well, FFXIII deserves the scores, also.

And while Metacritic may not be everything, it's at least better proof for an argument on a game's reception than simply saying "it sucked for it's time", which has like... Zero proof.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I usually dislike final bosses that are basically just a "heart", but it fit perfectly here. It's a small parasite, almost harmless looking, but even to its core it keeps defending itself by messing with your expectations on what or where it actually is.

L Thammy

This thread reminds me. One of my friends refuses to play Chrono Trigger because he's afraid that it'll be as bad as Chrono Cross.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I played it recently and, to me, it hasn't aged terribly at all. It was way better than Trigger when it came out. Trigger has a remake on the 3DS, that's all it needs.

Cross needs a remake if nothing else.

That wasn't a remake. Also Cross was bad then and even bad now.

Oh RevisionistGAF and your stealth CrossWasShit threads. I'm onto you.

The Lavos fight was lame, but most JRPGs seem to do that with final bosses. It's like when Sin just had a little blob dude inside of him called Yu-Yevon, in FFX.

And two of them are among the most important characters in the main plotline, one being arguably the main face of the game

Exactly.

Cyan, gau, strago, setzer, and shadow are all clearly side characters irrelevant to the plot.

Terra and Celes are as close to main characters as that game has.

And as for the complaint that Mog and Umaro are referred to as male: it doesn't matter. Those characters have no intelligible lines, and no impact on the plot. They exist to fill combat slots and gender/sex is irrelevant.

Athreous

I don't like CT, it's dragon ball rpg :p horrible art, eveyone's th same, just different hair and skin color =p

Flame shield on! xD

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Exactly.

Cyan, gau, strago, setzer, and shadow are all clearly side characters irrelevant to the plot.

Terra and Celes are as close to main characters as that game has.

I always found Cyan kind of important just due to his very personal link/agenda to Kefka, what with his family being murdered. He's not on the level of Terra/Celes or even Locke, but he's not really a throw away/filler dude.

Seik

Banned
You know why FFVI sucks? Because of a playable cast of fourteen characters, only three of them manage to be women.

I mean, I know that it's important to have a balanced cast, I'm all for it.

But to the point it makes a game suck solely because of the cast's genders? Boy oh boy, you're missing out on a lot of games with that logic.

I always found Cyan kind of important just due to his very personal link/agenda to Kefka, what with his family being murdered. He's not on the level of Terra/Celes or even Locke, but he's not really a throw away/filler dude.

He's entirely filler. Remove him and his side story from the game and nothing changes.

This isnt true for Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar, or Sabin.

He's not down in the "completely pointless" tier with gogo, umaro, and Mog but he's not essential or even all that relevant to the game.

He's entirely filler. Remove him and his side story from the game and nothing changes.

He's not down in the "completely pointless" tier with gogo, umaro, and Mog but he's not essential or even all that relevant to the game.
Yeah, he's essentially the Black Panther of VI. Cool character with a fleshed out story but ultimately his story is its own thing

PrimeBeef

Without his story wouldn't we miss out on Keflka poising his kingdom as well, giving even more depth to how mad/evil Kefka is?

Anoregon

I feel like "filler" implies the game would be better off or at least not worse off without him though, which I definitely feel is not the case. His inclusion adds to the overall experience of playing the game.

Without his story wouldn't we miss out on Keflka poising his kingdom as well, giving even more depth to how mad/evil Kefka is?

Yup. That scene is one of the main events that shows how depraved Kefka is before the world of ruin. He murders an entire kingdom just because he kind of feels like it.

antitrop

I feel like "filler" implies the game would be better off or at least not worse off without him though, which I definitely feel is not the case. His inclusion adds to the overall experience of playing the game.

FFVI wouldn't be FFVI without Mr. Thou.

Defective14

Neo Member

He's important if only to show the lengths of Kefka's villainy and how he poisons the entire kingdom just to accomplish his goal.

Cyan isn't that important to the plot but he does have a personal vendetta against Kefka, no doubt.

Top Bottom