• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Week's Famitsu Thread: New Shining Force for DS

Yaweee

Himuro said:
Shin Megami Tensei Prison Tokyo... on DS (3D dungeon RPG)

omfg

Realizing that this is a complete lie wasn't even the most dissapointing thing in this thread. SF with 2D action battles. Damnit, the SRPG elements are probably going to be as limited as Koudelka's-- you'll be stuck on a 5x10 grid with little room to do anything except run into eachother.

Actually... maybe like Saga Frontier 2? That would make sense. Exact same setup, but instead of having a set number of turns to deal damage, there is a time-limit per 2D battle?

That actually sounds kind of cool, then.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
duckroll said:
Shining Force Feather is a strategy rpg by Flight Plan. It uses a top down isometric view and turn based unit movement system while on the field, and switches to a side-view action battle system when you encounter enemies. Kinda like a mix of Tales and VP. Everything is 2D. It is due out in Spring of 2009.

I consider my expectations exceeded.

zoku88

Ooh, I knew Flight-plan sounded familiar. Forgot they did Summon Night.

Maybe this will be the first Shining game to not suck for a while? Kinda interesting how they are implementing it, though.

duckroll said:
Shining Force Feather is a strategy rpg by Flight Plan. It uses a top down isometric view and turn based unit movement system while on the field, and switches to a side-view action battle system when you encounter enemies. Kinda like a mix of Tales and VP. Everything is 2D. It is due out in Spring of 2009.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT SUCK! Please!

duckroll

zoku88 said:
Ooh, I knew Flight-plan sounded familiar. Forgot they did Summon Night.

Maybe this will be the first Shining game to not suck for a while? Kinda interesting how they are implementing it, though.

I don't see why this would be any different from the other Shining Force games that have been coming out. It's going to be nothing like the old Shining Force games anyway, and they're using the same character designer as the Neverland ones. If you didn't like the tone and execution of the Neverland games, this will probably be no different. It's the same producer after all.

Aeana

duckroll said:
I don't see why this would be any different from the other Shining Force games that have been coming out. It's going to be nothing like the old Shining Force games anyway, and they're using the same character designer as the Neverland ones. If you didn't like the tone and execution of the Neverland games, this will probably be no different. It's the same producer after all.

Isn't that producer also the producer of World Destruction? I guess that'll be the same, too. :(

zoku88

duckroll said:
TBH, I never even played those games (isn't that obvious since I didn't even know they existed?)

I mean, I think it being an SRPG (albeit, a bit odd) is a step in the right direction

Kletian

duckroll said:

So it's gonna be generic anime characters instead of charming 80s anime characters?

Kinda lame, but as long as there are some Centaur Knights, Wolfmen, Birdmen, random useless animal with helmet, and they keep the old promotion and 4-spell magic mechanics, then I'll be happy enough.

Macstorm

duckroll said:
Who is on the team? I'm not up on who Flight-Plan has on board.

Shouta

Kletian said:
So it's gonna be generic anime characters instead of charming 80s anime characters?

Nothing charming about the old character designs except the nostalgia.

And Shining Force Neo and Exa rock, sans the English dubs. =x

zoku88

Kletian said:
Generic? I think that term is way overused at GAF...

It's no more generic now that it was when the originals were released. People just produce art that looks 'cleaner' now (more computer influence?)
Akai said:
Actually a DS game called Cross of Venus is her first, I thiiiiink...Funny enough, that was revealed just last month!
OOOOOOH YEAAAA, the Dengeki one. I remember it now. I completely forgot. :lol :lol

I think I even posted in the reveal thread >.>

duckroll

Aeana said:
Isn't that producer also the producer of World Destruction? I guess that'll be the same, too. :(

With all the moe and furry stuff, it's already the same. :)

I don't have anything against the Neverland Shining Force games though.

zoku88

duckroll said:
With all the moe and furry stuff, it's already the same. :)

I don't have anything against the Neverland Shining Force games though.
Moe-iness is next to godliness >.>

Yaweee

Okay, my hopes have been squashed.

-It isn't grid based. Free roaming (non-gridded), Growlanser style SRPG sections. Yet another stylus-based SRPG to rot in the trash bin.
-Eight Party Members? This isn't entirely clear.
-2D sections are 1v1.

zoku88

Yaweee said:

-It isn't grid based. Free roaming (non-gridded), Growlanser style SRPG sections. Yet another stylus-based SRPG to rot in the trash bin.
So it's kinda realtime?

Yaweee

zoku88 said:
So it's kinda realtime?

I can't tell whether or not the characters are moving at the same time, or if you run around one by one like in Phantom Brave. It looooooooks more like a Growlanser setup, but the icons at the bottom of the screen might be turn-order rather than status indicators.

zoku88

I wouldn't mind movement like PB (a bit more refined, since they moved weirdly sometimes.)

I think grids take away from strategy. Makes it kinda easy to defend.

Kletian

Yaweee said:

-2D sections are 1v1.

Ugh, really? Non-grid and only allowing 8 party members are big letdowns.

Yaweee said:

-2D sections are 1v1.

Fuck you, day 1 here.

duckroll said:

:( :( :( :( :(

The only thing that could possibly keep me interested now is news of the composer.

Shouta said:
Nothing charming about the old character designs except the nostalgia.

Lies.

And Shining Force Neo and Exa rock, sans the English dubs. =x

And the crap character designs.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I haven't really touched any Shining game since 2, actually... want to give 3 a try. But, Flight Plan is a pretty cool company, I liked the Summon Night Swordcraft Story games, and I hear they make some pretty decent SRPGs. So consider me fairly hyped.

DS is getting so many great 2D RPGs lately... I'm also interested in hearing a bit about the Atelier game... will it be more of an alchemy-based adventure game like pre-Iris games or a traditional RPG?

Yaweee

Aaaaaaand, they probably dumped the out-of-battle-exploration that made SF1 and 2 so damn awesome. You know, being the SRPG fashion nowadays.

And FEATHER? They aren't even trying anymore.

zoku88 said:
I wouldn't mind movement like PB (a bit more refined, since they moved weirdly sometimes.)

I think grids take away from strategy. Makes it kinda easy to defend.

PB is my favorite of the NIS strategy games, but I agree with the common complaints about moving back and forth little by littler over and over to get the perfect placement. Gets kind of tedious. AND, it pretty much confirms stylus controls.

I also have a question; if there aren't grids, how can they even call it isometric? W That just means the characters are always looking off-kilter instead of in a cardinal direction, and that any hallways-- if hallways are to exist-- are going to be diagonal?

(yes, I know what 'isometric' really means, but in terms of gaming, without a grid it doesn't really mean anything.)

Kletian

Night_Trekker said:
:( :( :( :( :(

The only thing that could possibly keep me interested now is news of the composer.

Lies.

And the crap character designs.

Holy crap, I completed glossed over the word 'action' in the part you bolded.

:( :( :( :( :( indeed.

MoxManiac

Kletian said:

Kinda lame, but as long as there are some Centaur Knights, Wolfmen, Birdmen, random useless animal with helmet, and they keep the old promotion and 4-spell magic mechanics, then I'll be happy enough.

What? Camelot's designs (classic SF games and Beyond the Beyond, lulz) are the epitome of generic.

Sega x Flight-Plan? Nice, Sega is on a roll publishing titles for new studios. And I'm sure Flight-Plan will do something better than those horrible 2D Shining Force Sega did. BRING IT SEGA.

Atelier Annie...eh, wait, why didn't NIS America bring the previous one? :/

On other stuff, Wii Music Oct 16 5800Y (did I miss this before?), Derby Time Online PS3 is a SCEJ title? ew...

diffusionx

Gold Member
What did Famitsu say about Platinum? I got Diamond from Goozex and its great as usual (the last game I played in the series was Yellow), but the interface needs a more DS-ready overhaul. I doubt Platinum has that, though...

zoku88

Yaweee said:
PB is my favorite of the NIS strategy games, but I agree with the common complaints about moving back and forth little by littler over and over to get the perfect placement. Gets kind of tedious. AND, it pretty much confirms stylus controls.
Yea, I almost agree with you. It has my favorite movement, but I like the battles in Soul Cradle more (reminds by of Ogre Battle.) Although, there was something wrong with the way those were programmed too (dude, the characters are dead, don't attack them.. attack the next line please :( )

Wilsongt

+1 for the character designer from Shining Force Exa. Much, much better than boomerang brows from Neo.

-1 For Sega and Camelot not trying to fix whatever beef is between them.

+1 for being a strategy RPG.

-1 for not being like the old games.

Is it so hard to make an evolution of Shining Force III's system?

:(

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I lost the "WHOO NEW SHINING GAME" attitude a long time ago.

Still love the originals, but the series went someplace I wasn't interested in a long time back. I still have some interest in them as I do games in general, but the name "Shining" no longer carries any weight imo. Too far gone from the Genesis/Saturn days.

lyre

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
Has there been any word on the NA release of Platinum yet?
A more important question is, will the sun rise tomorrow?

Vorador said:
Full price for Wii Music? did i read it right?
WiiSports was also full priced there, so this shouldn't be surprising.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Cautiously optimistic. Neo and Exa are awesome for what they are. But they aren't Shining Force games.

This one, could be something closer to home. Or not. Let's hope.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
If Jesus Christ came back from Heaven and released a strategy RPG, you guys would bitch that his character designs all have beards that are too long.

TreIII

Shining Force...by Flight Plan?

Colored me interested. Flight Plan hasn't done anything that's really disappointed, so if any one could stand to give us a decent game, in my opinion, it's them.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Akai said:
Actually a DS game called Cross of Venus is her first, I thiiiiink...Funny enough, that was revealed just last month!
Actually, she's done quite a few other console games before that too.

zoku88 said:
OOOOOOH YEAAAA, the Dengeki one. I remember it now. I completely forgot. :lol :lol

I think I even posted in the reveal thread >.>
You did. :p

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
fennec fox said:
If Jesus Christ came back from Heaven and released a strategy RPG, you guys would bitch that his character designs all have beards that are too long.

Well I doubt Jesus even actually had a beard!

Top Bottom