• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year marks the Silent Hill series' 15th anniversary

Lime

I want a series reboot on next gen. :(

Silent Hill 1 with unbelievable graphics, oh lawd.

1. Next-gen graphics/production values require a large budget
  2. A large budget entails creative risks (if such a project even gets funded *at all*)
  3. Creative risks means less experimentation and more constraints
  4. Less experimentation and more constraints will make you regret your wish

Cudder

1. Next-gen graphics/production values require a large budget
  2. A large budget entails creative risks (if such a project even gets funded *at all*)
  3. Creative risks means less experimentation and more constraints
  4. Less experimentation and more constraints will make you regret your wish

I honestly don't even know what you're trying to say.

daveo42

Banned

The game could easily be terrible depending on budget and how many copies they need to sell to profit.

Edit: They could keep the source material unchanged (plot, maps, etc) and just update the textures, control system, VA, but it would still cost a good deal of money to put together and corners could be cut.

Or we could end up getting that thing they said was an HD re-release...

Chabbles

I got downpour during the week, sat down and played 7 hours straight in 3D... and all im thinking is, why the hell isnt 3D used in more games ?, and downpour isnt half bad either.

In standard HD, downpour looks flat and bland, with low grade blurry textures. But in 3D, even though the textures are the same (i assume). Theres a new definition, and the textures look more sharp for some reason, like alot more sharper. I played the first half hour in 3D, then switched to regular HD for afew minutes to see if they was any difference, regular looked worse, far, far worse. Even with the AA down a notch in 3D, it still looked miles ahead.

Im gona finish Downpour up over the weekend, im thinking i judged it too harshly when it released first. Apart from some technical issues, its a fun game.

It would be cool if Konami got in touch with team siren to make a SH game for the PS4, call me a dreamer.

Lime

Larger budgets mean less chance of trying out new things and making games that appeal to as many consumers as possible, i.e. jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type of stuff.

Yep, I'm a bit tired of seeing people talk about a "Team Silent". There's no such thing, really.

Of course there is.

Masashi Tsuboyama, Akihiro Imamura, Akira Toriyama, Hiroyuki Owaku, Masahiro Ito, Gozo Kitao, and to a lesser extent Takayoshi Sato made up "Team Silent" with their various, multiple contributions from Silent Hill 1 through Silent Hill 4. Even though guys like Tsuboyama and Imamura didn't directly work on SH3, for example, they still assisted Nakazawa in its development.

Sure, there isn't some fancy logo KCET designed for 'Team Silent', but when people make the reference they are likely referring to those 7 individuals that gave the first 4 SH games so much flavor- and they are right to do so.

Cudder

The game could easily be terrible depending on budget and how many copies they need to sell to profit.

Edit: They could keep the source material unchanged (plot, maps, etc) and just update the textures, control system, VA, but it would still cost a good deal of money to put together and corners could be cut.

Or we could end up getting that thing they said was an HD re-release...

Every video game that is developed can "easily be terrible".

Larger budgets mean less chance of trying out new things and making games that appeal to as many consumers as possible, i.e. jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type of stuff.

My post was just wishful thinking. For a remake I'd harbour a guess that "less chance of trying new things" wouldn't be a bad thing.

There might be a picture of me holding up my iPhone in Mr. Yamaoka's iPhone.

2_Akira_Yamaoka.jpg

daveo42

Banned
Every video game that is developed can "easily be terrible".

Games always have a chance to be bad, but constraining the game through budgeting and 'market research' to make it appeal to a broader audience would take whatever could be good end up a being a pile.

It's the path the industry has been going in and either not being able to throw money at it or making it a big budget game would end up meaning concessions to try and get sales up to cover cost.

Jacobi

Banned
Of course there is.

Masashi Tsuboyama, Akihiro Imamura, Akira Toriyama, Hiroyuki Owaku, Masahiro Ito, Gozo Kitao, and to a lesser extent Takayoshi Sato made up "Team Silent" with their various, multiple contributions from Silent Hill 1 through Silent Hill 4. Even though guys like Tsuboyama and Imamura didn't directly work on SH3, for example, they still assisted Nakazawa in its development.

Sure, there isn't some fancy logo KCET designed for 'Team Silent', but when people make the reference they are likely referring to those 7 individuals that gave the first 4 SH games so much flavor- and they are right to do so.

So what the other people who worked on these games contributed to those don't matter at all?

Krammy

Bumping this up because in celebration of Silent Hill's 15th Birthday, my Heather figure arrived in the mail and holy hell is it awesome. I've never ordered something like this before so I was genuinely surprised by how much bigger it was than what I expected (it's three fists high). The detail is absolutely insane, for example, the electronic watch has a time written across it, and that's clearly visible in the image below, but with the figure sitting a couple inches away from me, I wouldn't be able to tell so easily. Same with the dots (freckles?) on her face, they're not visible from where I'm sitting, but the close-up shows them clear as day.

Packaging (Pieces), Full Body (Front), Full Body (Back), Close-Up (Face), Close-Up (Watch)

My only gripe is that the face sculpt was slightly changed from the original (neither of which feel like Heather in my opinion), but some changes are expected I guess.

kogasu

The series is one of my top favorites ever! Awesome atmosphere, music, design etc. I love it. I just started replaying through 3 again a few weeks ago and I'm getting the itch to replay 2 as well. I've never tried either on the hard Riddle Level so I figure there's something new to go back to.

I've never tried either on the hard Riddle Level so I figure there's something new to go back to.
!!!!

You're in for a treat, I'm a big fan of how the puzzles are changed between each variance. But then again, for the SH games I'm a strategy guide kinda person and enjoy the extra 'mmph' they will require.

kogasu

!!!!

You're in for a treat, I'm a big fan of how the puzzles are changed between each variance. But then again, for the SH games I'm a strategy guide kinda person and enjoy the extra 'mmph' they will require.

It's awesome! I wish more games had a selectable puzzle difficulty like that. I've only done the first puzzle of SH3 and it was quite difficult, especially considering I only knew a few of the Shakespearean plays that it kinda needed you to know beforehand. I somewhat figured out what it wanted but it took me a good 30 - 40 minutes.

Top Bottom