• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Thor: Ragnarok' Trailer Is Marvel and Disney's Most Watched Ever in 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xion385

Marvel's promise of a Thor vs. Hulk battle seems to have re-energized the Thor movie franchise.

The trailer for Thor: Ragnarok, which was unleashed Monday by Disney, the parent company of Marvel, has garnered more than 136 million views in only 24 hours.

It becomes the not only the most viewed Marvel trailer ever, but also the studio's most viewed trailer ever across all its brands, which includes Disney's live-action and animation divisions, Pixar, Star Wars, as well as Marvel.

The Beauty and the Beast trailer was the previous 24-hour record-holder for Disney with 127.6 million views. Star Wars: The Force Awakens was viewed 112 million times in that time frame. Captain America: Civil War held the previous Marvel record with 94 million views.

The trailer was met with tremendous enthusiasm, with it channeling a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe with both music and sci-fi fantasy worlds as it set up a scenario where Thor, played by a returning Chris Hemsworth, is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer. It offered glimpses of Hela, the movie's powerful new villain played by Cate Blanchett. And it closed with a killer line as Thor, forced to fight in a gladiatorial arena, sees his Avengers comrade Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), and bellows, "He's a friend from work." It's a line he quickly rues saying.

The Ragnarok trailer doesn't hold the most viewed overall record. The trailer for New Line's adaptation of Stephen King's It was viewed 197 million times in the 24 hours after its March 29 release, while Fate of the Furious was eyeballed 139 million times.

Taika Waititi, the New Zealand filmmaker behind the acclaimed indies Hunt for the Wilderpeople and What We Do in the Shadows, is in the director's seat for Ragnarok.

The movie will be released in the U.S. on Nov. 3.

So is Thor and Hulk going to outgross the JL.....?

Edit: Source

LionPride

Banned
Really hype trailer that can be summed up like

VV3QkCg.gif

Given that the 'it' trailer of all things broke some records, I feel like there must have been some FB/IG/Snapchat/Twitter/Youtube change in how videos were autoplayed/counted/targeted at people or something.

Cipherr

I watched like, DT review of the trailer and checked my recommends and found a million "reactions" to the trailer. Goddamn there's a shitload of people doing those now.

LionPride

Banned
Given that the 'it' trailer of all things broke some records, I feel like there must have been some FB/IG/Snapchat/Twitter/Youtube change in how videos were autoplayed/counted/targeted at people or something.

There is, but them views still count all the same

I'm not sure what 'Thor: Ragnarok' is but I can't wait to see 'Thor 3: Ragnarok'.

It looks fantastic, but that's not really surprising to those paying attention. Shit, I didn't even know Gotg was live action until the first trailer. The premise alone was enough to sell Thor 3. Planet Hulk equaled Day 1.

I'm not sure what 'Thor: Ragnarok' is but I can't wait to see 'Thor 3: Ragnarok'.

It looks fantastic, but that's not really surprising to those paying attention. Shit, I didn't even know Gotg was live action until the first trailer. The premise alone was enough to sell Thor 3. Planet Hulk equaled Day 1.

The title of the film is Thor: Ragnarok, not Thor 3: Ragnarok.

kswiston

Is that unique views though because I think I watched it 2 to 3 million times

Haha. No, but I figure fans are always going to play these types of things on repeat.

The Justice League trailer is up to 25M views in the past two weeks, so Thor will blow by that. I'm not saying that YT views translate neatly to box office, but people are at least showing interest.

Over 16M views on Youtube in a day is pretty big though.
It's the fastest accumulation since the Suicide Squad "Queen" trailer, I believe.

I have noticed that youtube recently introduced a trending page (or at least, has started advertising a video's position now), so I wonder if that's having an impact.

Wensih

I'm still burned by how boring/forgettable the first two thor movies were....

I was too until I saw that Waititi was directing. What We Do In The Shadows and Hunt For The Wilderpeople (top 5 2016 film) were amazing and he looks to have energized the Marvel series that really needed it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Does this even matter anymore? Every few weeks we're getting a "most watched/fastest views accumulated" trailer. It's like when a new song comes out. It'll get to 100 million very quickly, whereas more popular songs that were on the channel for years don't have that number to date.

Kart94

Banned
At least Disney's trailer view records before this have lead to big box office openings.

Paramount claimed 100M views for XXX 3 in its first 2 days. The film opened to $20M.

XX3 did make a killing in China though, which i wonder what they saw in it that we didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom