• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Thor: Ragnarok' Trailer Is Marvel and Disney's Most Watched Ever in 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
This Thor trailer has obviously gotten a lot of attention, but something new must be going on with the way trailers are distributed and view counts are tallied cause it seems like things are getting inflated recently.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This Thor trailer has obviously gotten a lot of attention, but something new must be going on with the way trailers are distributed and view counts are tallied cause it seems like things are getting inflated recently.

The most viewed trailer record is broken every other day now.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It definitely has ramped up. When IT has doubled the record set by The Force Awakens (which made over $900M domestic and $2B worldwide) in a span of two years, you know something is up. It's not like Star Wars fans aren't rabid consumers are Star Wars media.

I am guessing its due to many people getting enthusiastic to the point that they then start sharing it around to social media...that's a good thing.

The Kree

Banned

They're counting views from reposts on unofficial channels and reaction videos.

I will say that the trailer looks great and I am glad the hulk is in iT. Too bad universal will not give the rights to marvel for an excellent hulk stand alone movie now that the character is established.

Cuburt

So is Thor and Hulk going to outgross the JL.....?

Would be crazy if it did.

Captain America outgrossed Batman and Superman which is kind of crazy, even with some big Avengers help. GotG 2 is being predicted to eclipse Wonder Woman's opening by a massive amount, which is even more crazy to think about. To have Thor go from being the most middling franchise in the MCU after 2 installments to having hype that appears to rival the hype for a Justice League film, with scale that could rival it as well, it's just nuts to think we are at this point with superhero movies.

If Ragnarok ends up outgrossing Justice League without the Avengers and RDJ, I think that would still be a total shocker. Hell, there is even a possibility that either GotG vol. 2 or Thor Ragnarok could end up beating an MCU Spider-Man. This is the first year of 3 MCU films in one year and I think all of them are big hitters but Thor and GotG are both sequels so all bets are off on how big they can be. Even Thor TDW's WW BO gross was not far off from the Amazing Spider-Man 2, it actually beat it domestically. Just think of how hard Marvel Studios is flexing on fools if Thor or GotG is outgrossing Justice League, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man. It's still a big "if" but not implausible, which is insane to think it's even a possibility.

I will say that the trailer looks great and I am glad the hulk is in iT. Too bad universal will not give the rights to marvel for an excellent hulk stand alone movie now that the character is established.

Yeah. Still at least Marvel is doing us a kick ass solid for Hulk by basically using Thor Ragnarok as also a Planet Hulk film since they can't do a standalone.

That's awesome.

Jebus... How many potential $1B movies is that for Disney this year? BatB is a lock, probably GotG2, Thor:R, and The Last Jedi plus at least $500M for Spidey:HC? What are they looking at for the year, $7B?

Glass Rebel

I don't think this means much with view counts being inflated to hell and back but this movie will no doubt exceed expectations. Marvel's lineup this year is crazy.

Jebus... How many potential $1B movies is that for Disney this year? BatB is a lock, probably GotG2, Thor:R, and The Last Jedi plus at least $500M for Spidey:HC? What are they looking at for the year, $7B?

Don't forget Spider-Man: Homecoming. Cars 3 might be able to pull those numbers off of kids, too.

Yeah. Still at least Marvel is doing us a kick ass solid for Hulk by basically using Thor Ragnarok as also a Planet Hulk film since they can't do a standalone.

That's awesome.

Agree! I loved all the scenes with Hulk and Thor together so I will definitely see this film in the theaters. I wonder if this was their plan all along when they were asked about a possible planet hulk movie a few years ago.

Hell these are the same guys that once said that black panther movie was impossible. So I'm officially hyped.

It's insane. Just one of those films would help any other singular studio, but Disney wants all the monies and gets all the monies.

What surprises me the most is that all the movies Didney is pushing out are anywhere from good to excellent vs other studios.

It's insane. Just one of those films would help any other singular studio, but Disney wants all the monies and gets all the monies.

Cuburt

Spider-Man is Sony, not Disney.

I remember reading that with their deal they may get payouts after hitting certain box office milestones, which sounds likely, but yeah, for the most part I believe Sony is putting up the money and reaping the profit. Marvel/Disney mostly benefits by building up the Spider-Man brand (to keep raking in that sweet merch money) and by boosting up the MCU with Spider-Man's appearances in Civil War and Infinity War.

3N16MA

Banned

Captain America outgrossed Batman and Superman which is kind of crazy, even with some big Avengers help. GotG 2 is being predicted to eclipse Wonder Woman's opening by a massive amount, which is even more crazy to think about. To have Thor go from being the most middling franchise in the MCU after 2 installments to having hype that appears to rival the hype for a Justice League film, with scale that could rival it as well, it's just nuts to think we are at this point with superhero movies.

If Ragnarok ends up outgrossing Justice League without the Avengers and RDJ, I think that would still be a total shocker. Hell, there is even a possibility that either GotG vol. 2 or Thor Ragnarok could end up beating an MCU Spider-Man. This is the first year of 3 MCU films in one year and I think all of them are big hitters but Thor and GotG are both sequels so all bets are off on how big they can be. Even Thor TDW's WW BO gross was not far off from the Amazing Spider-Man 2, it actually beat it domestically. Just think of how hard Marvel Studios is flexing on fools if Thor or GotG is outgrossing Justice League, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man. It's still a big "if" but not implausible, which is insane to think it's even a possibility.

Does anyone consider Civil War a true solo Cap film? It's not a huge suprise that it out grossed BvS considering it played like Avengers 2.5.

GotG 2 surpassing Wonder Woman is even less of a surprise. The first film grossed 773M and has plenty of goodwill working for it leading to the sequel. It has 1B potential at this point and WW does not.

Which begs me to ask, how is this one getting so much buzz?

Excellent trailer, interesting plot premise, Taika effing Waititi. Everything about this movie should be getting people excited.

If there's one thing you can't deny, it's that Marvel Studios really handled their characters perfectly. To take B, C, and even D-list heroes and make them popular household names is a big accomplishment. Even more so in the face of DC failing to do so with their best.

Excellent trailer, interesting plot premise, Taika effing Waititi. Everything about this movie should be getting people excited.

If there's one thing you can't deny, it's that Marvel Studios really handled their characters perfectly. To take B, C, and even D-list heroes and make them popular household names is a big accomplishment. Even more so in the face of DC failing to do so with their best.
I think people are partially just looking for something new. It could explain why most of DC's slates aren't hitting it home as big as Marvel's. Hulk was probably the most popular Avengers after spiderman and even Marvel's try didn't really exceed expectations compared to Iron Man and Captain America. Both were known but they weren't *big* like they are now. Thor and GOTG were definitely C and D tiers too before their movies came out.

The Kree

Banned
The Goldblum factor must account for at-least 50% of the views.

50% of that is due to Led Zeppelin

The other 50% all thanks to evil galadriel

I'm gonna add in another 50% for

VV3QkCg.gif

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
All behold, the power of Goldblum. Strong enough to save even the Thor series, and reverse the common thread of "the first two were good but the third one blew it".

kCSlPP3.gif

I actually am thinking $80M opening for it, unless the marketing falls on its face going forward.

And I think that would be special overall; it'd be the biggest horror opening of all time, let alone for an R rated horror film, and 4th among all R rated films. Perfectly befitting a film with the trailer view record. :p

How in the world?

Dude , you should look at how much money the biggest horror movies even actually make.

You think that It will make in its OW as much as the biggest Saw movie made total and think it'll make double what Conjuring made opening weekend. That's ridiculous.

I've already watched it several times. James Gunn wasn't kidding when he said it was the best Marvel Studios trailer. Perfect song choice.

Cuburt

Does anyone consider Civil War a true solo Cap film? It's not a huge suprise that it out grossed BvS considering it played like Avengers 2.5.

GotG 2 surpassing Wonder Woman is even less of a surprise. The first film grossed 773M and has plenty of goodwill working for it leading to the sequel. It has 1B potential at this point and WW does not.

It played like an Avengers film, but it's numbers were closer to IM3 than either Avengers film. You could argue that the bump was more due to Tony than the Avengers, especially since the only "Avengers" besides Tony to get semi-significant roles were the Scarlet Witch and Vision. Everyone else was either never an Avenger (Panther, Spidey, Scott), had mainly a cameo (Clint, Rhodey), or already had significant roles in The Winter Soldier (Sam, Bucky, Nat, Sharon). Even the marketing from the first trailer focused on the Winter Soldier cast with the addition of Tony, it was only in the lead up to the release that they show a little more Avengers and Spider-Man, which most "Avengers" not even getting speaking roles in the majority of the marketing. Also Avengers films are strictly ensemble films about the team, while Civil War was not only mainly focusing on characters and storylines that were already prominent in Cap's films, but they had a 1st act that was about half Avengers, half Cap, a 2nd act that you can say became an Avengers story, but then a 3rd act that had almost nothing to do with the Avengers.

This also is ignoring that overall awareness of DC characters like Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman and how prior to GotG releasing or even the Avengers breaking records, you'd have people laughing in your face to suggest that any Marvel film is beating out DC's trinity. They did when Avengers had to share the summer with TDKR (and TASM). They did when Cap 3 shared a date with BvS. People even did it when GotG's sequel was going up against Wonder Woman and a Dark World sequel was going up against Justice League. It's only now that Marvel has yet to bomb and can have hits like GotG that people say it's not surprising that Wonder Woman can be beat by GotG without even a hint of hesitation. That's what's crazy.

Sony gets everything?

From what we know... yes.
Marvel gets paid as a contractor to the project, possibly with milestone bonuses.
Sony picks up the tab, pays Marvel for their work, and reaps the profits of a job well done.

but of course, they are also trying to piggyback, and possibly spoil, that goodwill with a Venom and a Black Cat movie..... both "unconnected" from the MCU spider-man

I said it when IT broke these trailer records, there is something not right about the numbers or how its calculated. I'm sure Thor is going to do OK but it won't be breaking any records, probably about $700m worldwide.

I said it when IT broke these trailer records, there is something not right about the numbers or how its calculated. I'm sure Thor is going to do OK but it won't be breaking any records, probably about $700m worldwide.

so you think that after GotG2, Spider-Man: HC and more HYPE'd trailers from Ragnarok, that it's only going to make $60M more than TDW.... worldwide?

jlaw ok.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom