• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Thor: Ragnarok' Trailer Is Marvel and Disney's Most Watched Ever in 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how strong Thor is without his hammer. I remember in the first movie he was like a mortal without it, but maybe Odin just cast a spell that made him human. It must be the second otherwise Thor wouldn't jump headfirst into Hulk.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The total views count is pointless since it includes Facebook and Twitter autoplays.

Over 16M views on Youtube in a day is pretty big though.

Why do people keep saying this, when this applies to every other youtube movie trailers too?

I hated Thor and Thor: The Dark World but this trailer for Ragnarok was great. It looks like Thor: Guardians of the Galaxy Edition. Which I'm down for.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Pretty sure we can directly attribute this to Jeff Goldblum.

giphy.gif

kswiston

Why do people keep saying this, when this applies to every other youtube movie trailers too?

With Youtube you are typically choosing to watch the videos. On some social media platforms, they autoplay, and are counted as a view after 2-3 seconds.

When Paramount was claiming 100M views for XXX, the Youtube view count was something like 6M views. Even now, none of them are over 14M.

Well other than this Bollywood Timeline clip that has 77M views :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT13amOBwmM

Rhoc

Deserving really good trailer and awesome music. I want to know how much they had to pay for the song use; I'm thinking millions.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Feige said they needed this to do for Thor what The Winter Soldier did for Cap.

They're doing it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
With Youtube you are typically choosing to watch the videos. On some social media platforms, they autoplay, and are counted as a view after 2-3 seconds.

When Paramount was claiming 100M views for XXX, the Youtube view count was something like 6M views. Even now, none of them are over 14M.

Well other than this Bollywood Timeline clip that has 77M views :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT13amOBwmM

I do understand this. What I am saying is, this (autoplay on social media) applies to trailers for other movies too isn't it? Thor: Ragnarok isn't the only movie trailer that is autoplaying on facebook and stuffs.

kswiston

I do understand this. What I am saying is, this (autoplay on social media) applies to trailers for other movie too isn't it? Thor: Ragnarok isn't the only movie trailer that is autoplaying on facebook and stuffs.

It definitely has ramped up. When IT has doubled the record set by The Force Awakens (which made over $900M domestic and $2B worldwide) in a span of two years, you know something is up. It's not like Star Wars fans aren't rabid consumers are Star Wars media.

After hearing that IT is the most watched trailer of all time.. trailer records are kinda pointless to me.
Check the box office in September and you may change your tune.

edit: Just for the record, I am NOT implying it will outopen Star Wars, lol. But IT is gonna demolish the September opening record by a massive margin; bank on it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
After hearing that IT is the most watched trailer of all time.. trailer records are kinda pointless to me.

Really? I heard legit excitement about that trailer.

kswiston

Check the box office in September and you may change your tune.

edit: Just for the record, I am NOT implying it will outopen Star Wars, lol. But IT is gonna demolish the September opening record by a massive margin; bank on it.

$80M in September would be record breaking by a massive margin, despite us getting 8-10 openings in that range each year. The September record is still stuck at $48M.

IT will be huge for Horror and September, but not really all that special overall (despite the 200M "views" in 24 hours record).

Every trailer is the most watched trailer ever these days.
Yeah. IT holds the overall record right now and that was a couple weeks ago

I imagine we'll see a thread like this again this weekend when the last Jedi hits

glad it wasn't just me that noticed this.

I'm curious as to why marketing and PR teams think this is important to make a point of. does it drive further views? do those further views turn into ticket sales? I wonder what data they have, or if they're just doing it because others are doing it.

$80M in September would be record breaking by a massive margin, despite us getting 8-10 openings in that range each year. The September record is still stuck at $48M.

IT will be huge for Horror and September, but not really all that special overall.
I actually am thinking $80M opening for it, unless the marketing falls on its face going forward.

And I think that would be special overall; it'd be the biggest horror opening of all time, let alone for an R rated horror film, and 4th among all R rated films. Perfectly befitting a film with the trailer view record. :p

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yeah these view counts are bullshit.

But there's a good count on YT which is probably the most trusty metric.

Youtube only keeps track of Youtube, though.

People see the trailer in tons of different websites and across different channels even on the same site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom