• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

those old Tiger Electronics handheld games (and similar)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I got a Double Dragon one once and it was such a rip off. I had no clue what I was buying (I was like 5 or 6 years old) and I was so pissed.

TheBear

I had this piece of shit.

1916_0_game_1.jpg

Thanks for the memories OP

Jamaro85

51DVqdhUG7L.jpg

This was amazingly fun to me. I feel like I also had a fighting game, not Street Fighter, can't remember right now though.

Krejlooc

Banned

this was a dot matrix display, very different from the kinds of games discussed in this topic. The game.com, while extremely crappy, was more in line with the gameboy or watara supervision.

I've never seen this before. So one cannot Doug and Faster at the same time?

Those are speed settings. "Doug" and "Faster" are redundant.

lol I have no fucking clue

mrlion

this was a dot matrix display, very different from the kinds of games discussed in this topic. The game.com, while extremely crappy, was more in line with the gameboy or watara supervision.

Its true but it does control like a traditional Tiger device for example I used to have Duke Nukem 3D for it and the controls were very awkward.

I have this somewhere in my parents house

210_1285008840075_Bandai_Ghost_House.jpg

It looked amazing back then! And I definitely bought that Ninja Turtles game, I was obsessed with it.

I also had the X-Men tiger game.

Sawneeks

Banned
What's cool is that I still have these in my closet and they all work:

coleco-galaxian.jpg

Holy shit. I used to play those at my Nana's house. She had Frogger and Pac-man. I need to ask her if she still has them or not and then I need to hunt down some for myself. Those things were great.

I had the BarcodZ version of Super SF2. I never really understood what the cards were supposed to do.
StreetFighterTiger.jpg

I also had this:
WWF%20Wrestlemania%20Challenge%20Acclaim_001.jpg

which was kind of a cool Donkey Kong esque game where you played as Hogan and had to make it past a 3 wrestlers to the top level where you beat Macho Man and rescued Elizabeth.

Strike

Tiger-DoubleDragon.jpg

Tiger-SonicSpinball.jpg

Had these when I was a kid. They were pretty quaint devices, but entertaining enough when you're too broke to afford a system.

Kagami

I found the Tiger-style games with the etched-characters-style LCDs to be pretty terrible.
As a kid we had to pretend to appreciate them when our grandmother gave them to us because she "knows we like video games."
On the other hand, those Tetris-clone things with actual dot-matrix (if low res) displays were OK. I've never been a big Tetris fan but I'll take it over Tiger-style games any day.
I seem to recall them having a couple of non-Tetris games using the same dot-matrix display, like racing games or such.

alvis.exe

I had the Lamb Chop one!

I don't know why I had the Lamb Chop one.

I'm not even sure why I remember the name "Lamb Chop" considering I've never seen it in any other form of media ever.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I found the Tiger-style games with the etched-characters-style LCDs to be pretty terrible.
As a kid we had to pretend to appreciate them when our grandmother gave them to us because she "knows we like video games."
On the other hand, those Tetris-clone things with actual dot-matrix (if low res) displays were OK. I've never been a big Tetris fan but I'll take it over Tiger-style games any day.
I seem to recall them having a couple of non-Tetris games using the same dot-matrix display, like racing games or such.

Pretty much, that's why I like brick games. They have more value because they have more game types.

Zaventem

I remember getting the power rangers one as a present, my sister got pocahontas. In some weird say I miss those simplistic games.

Weetrick

I wanted a Game Boy so badly as a kid. Before my parents bought me one, I had the Tiger version of Duck Tales, Chip and Dale, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. I played them for hours and hours.

I also had this cool game:
uOnJyVD.jpg

Edit: Holy shit, I just remembered owning the amazing Independence Day game

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I had a cool Bandai one which was solar powered called Dr Franken. You had to stop the arms and headgear falling Off and when you got to 500 points the screen changed and you were Frankenstein running down a cliff punching logs.

I saved for 8 weeks for a Zaxxon one which was awesome in its day too, think it was an official Sega one.

There it is. Thats the one I had. That, Sonic 2 and Baseball. Now that I look back though... man its crazy how much I liked those super limited games haha. Plus the GOAT:

Dude/Dudette!!!!!

I had that! It has to be the lowest tech in this thread. The car was painted on the screen and you could only switch between two lanes. It for just move the scrolling image slightly. You hit cars and nothing would happen.

One time my sisters and eye were acting like our sofa was a spaceship and that was the control panel and steering.

NEO0MJ

I really wanted Sonic 3 when I was a kid but I didn't have a genesis so I had to settle for this

Tiger-Sonic3.jpg

It was a bit of a disappointment :(

I had this same game as well! Of course, I also had the real Sonic 3 so I wasn't as disappointed :p

I also had the Lion King game and I'm sure one more that I forgot.

tn_400x300_2390_1259824992623_Tiger_Lion_King__The.jpg

I enjoyed these alot as a kid even though my mom couldnt really afford to buy them. Usually had one system and one game for a long time before my granny spoiled me lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The beeping noises are annoying, so I give credit when stuff like Street Fighter II add voice clips.

shuri

Banned
I remember being blown away at the gameboy because you could change the game...

it was such a huge shock.

I had a few of those games, but my favorite was Double Dragons

Peltz

In addition to some of the ones mentioned here, I had these two:

image_82.jpeg

1736-Blades-of-Steel-KONAMI-SOLO_000.jpg

Paperboy actually had legitimate level progression which got difficult and remained fair. It had to be one of the best iterations of these little games.

iidesuyo

I remember this one, it was fun and quite sophisticated for a LCD game..

Those memories.

I owned a game where you would fight against witches flying on their broom, no clue what it was.

Edit: OMG I found that racing game I used to own. "Grand Prix" by 3 Dimensions

Unknown-3DGrandPrix.jpg

illadelph

There's a great Iwata Asks interview with the original creators of the Game & Watch which first released in 1980. Read it HERE.

This was the first ever Game & Watch released, Ball 1980.
nintendo_game_and_watch___ball.jpg

This was the final Game & Watch ever released, Mario The Juggler, 1991
1.jpg

damn, I wish I got that Ball reproduction from Club Nintendo

I had this one growing up, and it sucked:

!BpHLk3g!Wk~$(KGrHqYH-CoEu,nzjTn5BLp+mzu0(Q~~_35.JPG

Top Bottom