• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those who live in >90°F / 32°C areas, what do you keep your AC set to?

big_z

Don't have AC but I tan when it gets to the mid 20's for a week or so which seems to help acclimate to the temperature in the process. Don't beat the heat, embrace it and then laugh at all the fools sweating like mad as you can freely walk around dry comfortably.

Tevious

Its not 32C here yet (30C high last weekend, 26 now), but I usually set my wall unit anywhere between 24C to 28C. Sometimes as low as 18C for a quick cool-down and then back up again. The AC is near my living area, so I can get the air directly blowing at me. Even setting it to 28C makes it much cooler than it sounds. It'll actually be like 22C~24C.

Lebon14

Here on the 48,87th parallel north, it does get hot AND humid during summer (22-35C+humidity factor). Our AC is... not very strong and our appartment is not very well divided for the AC's cold to effectively cool the appartment without a fan. So, it's on max (I think it's 68?). We install it when heat and humidity factor gets installed for the summer (usually beginning to mid-June) and remove it beginning October. I can't personally live without AC. I have a bad heat tolerance.

EDIT
We do close it if it's cool outside so we don't use unnecessary electricity. Fresh cool air from outside > AC.

KaYotiX

Banned
Live near San Antonio and in the summer it's set to 76. In spring it's hardly on and winter it's set to 66 :) Also a fan in every room helps alot.

Love the days when we can open all the windows and let the house air out

badrang

76-78 during the day. I'll drop to 73-75 at night depending on how hot it is outside. Off when went out of the house.

Gulf Coast

Maz

Don't have AC but I tan when it gets to the mid 20's for a week or so which seems to help acclimate to the temperature in the process. Don't beat the heat, embrace it and then laugh at all the fools sweating like mad as you can freely walk around dry comfortably.

It gets 45c+ (113f+) where I live, trying to embrace that heat is just asking to die. Blast the A/C in the house > car > office is the only way to live, the fact that it gets really humid is not helping. You literally start sweating within seconds of leaving the house, I feel like I need to take a shower by the time I get to my car.

Theandrin

Central Florida here. I keep mine at 73 but I also keep a ceiling fan running when I'm home so it keeps the cool air circulating.

'High' cool with an evaporative cooler. Tend to keep it tripping off at around 71°F. Thankfully, ABQ cools down nicely enough to just run fans and/or open windows at night even during the hottest part of the late summer.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Dallas - downstairs is kept at 72 when we are home, 78 when we are out. Upstairs is kept at 70 when we are in, 78 when out. Theater room is kept at 68 when we are in it, 78 when we arent. During peak of summer if all 3 Central Air units are running at once our electric bill tops out at about $300ish in Augusts/September. Normally its around $100 most months.

I couldnt imagine living without an AC or in a place with a Window AC unit.

Live in Karachi and the average is 32°C degrees for the next week. It's gonna get hotter, and Ramadan is coming up next week.

I do what I've done for over 6 years now. BRAVE IT THE FUCK OUT because I have no Air Conditioner.

68F/20C. I also like the planet so I have a massive (11.73kW) solar array which puts out ~130% of my aggregate usage. I use the power of the sun against it!

smisk

70F. I could probably survive a couple degrees warmer, but my roommate likes it colder. Plus we have a small apartment so electricity isn't that expensive even with the A/C.

Socal -- My house has amazing airflow and travertine floors so its usually always around 75 degrees in my house even when it's 90 out. But when I do run the AC its set at 77. 76 is bone chilling cold in my house with the flooring etc.. If I set my house to 70 I could unplug my fridge

chekhonte

I live in Seattle where no house I've ever lived in has central heating or air. The summers are getting hotter and it's miserable.

Hybris

South Louisiana. I keep it at 75-77 and 78 when no one is going to be home (rare). I'm usually sitting around in my underwear and a tshirt, though.

For those of you who let it get over the 70's, I'd be worried about running my PC or consoles.

Temps are usually higher than what reviewers post, but well within limits. Just got a 1080ti and highest I have seen it after reapplying thermal paste is 71 C. Reviews said they were getting 62-65 C depending on the case.

phoenix here
80 during the day, 78 after work and throughout the night

Ac off and windows open at night when possible

also, FANS!

Top Bottom