• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the new playable characters in Borderlands 3?

Thoughts on the new playable characters in Borderlands 3?

• They seem much better than the characters in the past two games.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • They seem a little better than the characters in the past two games.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • They seem about as good as the characters in the past two games.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • They seem a little worse than the characters in the past two games.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • They seem much worse than the characters in the past two games.

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters
Is it just me, or do the new characters seem not as good as previous character designs? I don't remember thinking this about the Borderlands 2 characters when that game was being released, so I wouldn't say I'm just too used to the older characters either. Something about the design of new characters seems a bit off. The abilities look like a lot of fun, but the personality of each character reveal doesn't seem to be doing much for me. They just don't look fun. Perhaps that will change as I play them, but I'm not sure just yet. Maybe visual customization will help as well. Liking the character that you play as can definitely lead to more enjoyment of a game, so I really hope to be wrong when it comes to my initial reaction, here.

One cool thing is Pro ZD is doing the voice for Flak:

Last edited:
I'm rather ambivalent about the new characters--in BL2 and the PreSequel, there were characters I saw in trailers that I wanted to play Day One (e.g. Zero, Athena). I don't have that vibe this time around, and I'm not jazzed with the abilities or choices that have been made available for our knowledge (this could change on release, of course).

Am I still getting the game? Yup.
Do I like the new characters? Meh.

TacosNSalsa

None are grabbing me as particularly interesting but I remember thinking the same thing about Axton and Kreig and they turned out to be my favorite characters when I actually played them . I'll probably try Zane first then Moze . I wanted to like Fl4k but god do I hate robots in games

desertdroog

They all seem like hybrid classes as opposed to evolution of existing classes. Personal complaint, your mileage will vary.

If Moze could use her Iron Bear like a pet, turret and armor, I'd be into it. But it seems like it will only be the latter two. And I'm not sure how great it will be as a turret.

Zane looks to be game breaking late game, so expect nerfs, which would bug me as he seems to hybridize Salvador and Axton. (Nisha is still my favorite character ever). I'm leaning towards Zane, so I'm not going to be happy if they screw with his stuff to make it less powerful.

I want to like Fl4k, I'm just not interested in a sniping class. I want more whiz bang with his pets, maybe I'm not seeing the value, yet?

I still think melee anything in a shooter is dumb. Be that Brick, Krieg, or Amara. The iron bear getting a melee add-on seems dumb. I want medium to close range dakka dakka fire fights. Not run around punchy mehlee.

Last edited:

desertdroog

I guess I want Fl4k's pets to act like options in a schmup or like underlings that can be outfitted like in Overlord.

Tenaciousmo

He looks fun, first time im torn between 3 characters at launch with borderlands. punch girl and mecha girl are interesting too

Say what you want about The Pre-Sequel, the classes were a breath of fresh air. These just look like more of the same from gearbox. Wish they would experiment a little more.

wipeout364

That was one of the first things I noticed was how boring they looked, that and the terrible music in the trailer. Still getting it but the trailer did not get me super excited.

Fbh

Im playing because Rhys:

1554917244_895430_1554917462_noticia_normal.jpg

Out of playable ones I guess Amara looks like the most fun but none of them really look very unique.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I want turrets :(. It’s my favorite feeling, dropping a turret and letting it chew through people. The fact this is the first borderlands without that really saddens me

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
They seem OK from the trailers etc...
My fav of all time is Gaige, easily the best character in the series so far from a gameplay perspective.

Duallusion

I'll play all of them sooner or later anyway so whatever - it's the talent tree I care about the most.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Looking at him, I thought FL4K was going to be the tank and there was no character close to Zero or Mordecai but I'm glad he falls into that camp. I guess Moze is the tank.

Otherwise though, I'm not too hot on their designs. Unlike past characters, there's a serious lack of popping colours. They're really drab and they're all pretty generic. I think I'll hold off on the game till all the DLC is out. I'm currently replaying BL2 and Krieg is way more interesting to play as than my original Zero playthrough.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Fl4k looks cool (and I always liked playing as a sniper), the rest doesn't stand out, but I won't make any judgments until I play the game.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
None of them jump out at me immediately, but I’ll be playing Amara since I’ve gone full Siren through all my playthroughs and Amara is now what the Siren has become.

They now have in-game dialogue right?

They always had in-game dialogue, but not much. In Borderlands 2, there were backstory echo recordings you could find of each playable character, and they had a lot of gameplay quotes, especially when using abilities.

Looking at him, I thought FL4K was going to be the tank and there was no character close to Zero or Mordecai but I'm glad he falls into that camp.

I'm really not a fan of the stoic robot type. One of the only smart things Star Wars did this generation is to continue giving their robots a personality. Hopefully FL4K has a bit more character than his trailer suggests.

Otherwise though, I'm not too hot on their designs. Unlike past characters, there's a serious lack of popping colours. They're really drab and they're all pretty generic.

Reading that actually gives me a bit more hope, considering they're definitely going to have unlockable skins.

I think I'll hold off on the game till all the DLC is out. I'm currently replaying BL2 and Krieg is way more interesting to play as than my original Zero playthrough.

I hate to say it, but I believe they've already announced there are no plans for DLC characters in this game. Instead, I think they've talked about potentially expanding the abilities of the main four.

How would we know when we have not played them?

We've seen them represented in the above character trailers, and seen hours and hours of gameplay from most of the characters. I'm not suggesting anyone knows enough to make some final judgement. As far as overall fun factor, these very well might be the best characters ever. But initially speaking, I'm not a fan of their design.

Geki-D

Banned
I'm really not a fan of the stoic robot type. One of the only smart things Star Wars did this generation is to continue giving their robots a personality. Hopefully FL4K has a bit more character than his trailer suggests.
I can agree with that. I think one of the reasons I like my Krieg playthrough is that he has more of a character than Zero (who barely had one). Though when I said I'm glad FL4K falls in the Zero camp, I mean in his abilities. But yeah, FL4K looks like he's going to be the stone wall character in this one.

Reading that actually gives me a bit more hope, considering they're definitely going to have unlockable skins.
True. Though I wish their default design had more colour. Whilst I'm sure there will be skins, everything in the trailers till now, not just the characters but the world and enemies, have this dark shading to them.

I hate to say it, but I believe they've already announced there are no plans for DLC characters in this game. Instead, I think they've talked about potentially expanding the abilities of the main four.
Yikes, that sucks. I think I'll still hold off and play all the DLC and game in one go but man, no extra characters is lame.

Shifty

I mean, outside of the original four becoming plot NPCs in 2, Borderlands' playable characters never had all that much personality to begin with outside of their one-liner battle barks. Imma say these are a bit weaker than the ones from the previous games.

Props for having an irish soldier class though, and I do like the siren. One Punch Jotaro is a decently interesting riff.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I mean, outside of the original four becoming plot NPCs in 2, Borderlands' playable characters never had all that much personality to begin with outside of their one-liner battle barks. Imma say these are a bit weaker than the ones from the previous games.

Props for having an irish soldier class though, and I do like the siren. One Punch Jotaro is a decently interesting riff.
Nah most of the playable characters in the pre sequel were side characters in 2. Looks like a bunch of Tales from the Borderlands stuff will be in 3. They’ve always done a good job of tying existing characters into the game while introducing new ones.

I love the characters in BL2, and the Pre Sequel which lead me to do multiple playthroughs just to experience them.

BL1 personally thought were meh. I only really like Lilith, and Mordecai.

So far with BL3 I think the characters look great but definitely have been toned down from the second and pre sequel games.
I'm trying not to spoil the game but based on the videos provided I liked Moze, and FL4K.
More of a lean Moze weirdly enough.

Shifty

Nah most of the playable characters in the pre sequel were side characters in 2. Looks like a bunch of Tales from the Borderlands stuff will be in 3. They’ve always done a good job of tying existing characters into the game while introducing new ones.
Hmm, Tales from the Borderlands did seem solid in that department, though I never played it.

And truth be told I completely forgot about the pre-sequel :messenger_hushed:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
In borderlands...i always do the first playthrough with the siren...period. Amara looks awesome so I'm happy with that. After that, it' a toss up between Fl4k and Moze. Probably Fl4k. Zane is last.

As far as their appeal, while I can't remember all their names, the psycho was super interesting. Maya was the siren...so no brainer there. I wasn't feeling the gunslinger or the soldier really. Zer0 was cool as fuck but I just couldn't find his place in a group and he was difficult for me to solo with as well. The Mechromancer was cool too, but I just remember not playing her because tshe was always screeching about how she was taking damage. That alone made me avoid groups playing with her or me playing as her. I feel like I might be missing someone.

brap

Banned
Just don't mis gender them, Gearbox staff is ready to pound you....hard!! 🤡🌍

IqhtuiA.png

Looking at him, I thought FL4K was going to be the tank and there was no character close to Zero or Mordecai but I'm glad he falls into that camp. I guess Moze is the tank.
Edit your goddamn post right fucking now before I report you for misgendering them. This isn't 8chan.

Neolombax

Gold Member
They all seem pretty interesting to me ability wise. I'd personally go with either Moze or FL4K first. Still unsure.

Forsythia

I played the Siren in the first games, but probably won't in BL3. I don't like the design but most importantly she's a melee character.

And are they serious with that pronoun bullshit for FL4K? 🤣

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I did 0 research on any of the new characters, because I am buying it either way..i should probably look and see who I like though.

Top Bottom