• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ PR figure talks about reaction to CPU claim, but developer concern remains

sp3000

I didn't help.

That was when I was under the impression that there was more under the hood than half of the memory bandwidth of current gen platforms. Not insurmountable, but big limitation.

The specs aren't even relevant. It's just architecturally totally separate from x86.

The PS4 could be less powerful than the WiiU, and it would still be difficult to port between them simply because the architectures are different.

freddy

Banned
...I like most of you guys here, but why the hell do I have to be the one telling you to act like adults when instead I could be lathering some faceless stranger up in scented oils?

That's the first time I've seen the thread and I think Heavy would even say it's funny looking back. He's given me a good long chuckle anyway, so here's a salute for him. It's all good.

These arguments have been going on in some way on the internet since 95 when I first found Usenet. The names are different and surprisingly Nintendo is still at the heart of it in some of them. They may do some things that are hard to believe but it's nice having a familiar name about.

Enjoy. :)

The specs aren't even relevant. It's just architecturally totally separate from x86.

The PS4 could be less powerful than the WiiU, and it would still be difficult to port between them simply because the architectures are different.
No at the time I believed all three would be using variants of similar tech. Sony and MS went way off the reservation from some of my initial guesses for the generation.

So did Nintendo though.

That's the first time I've seen the thread and I think Heavy would even say it's funny looking back. He's given me a good long chuckle anyway, so here's a salute for him. It's all good.

These arguments have been going on in some way on the internet since 95 when I first found Usenet. The names are different and surprisingly Nintendo is still at the heart of it in some of them. They may do some things that are hard to believe but it's nice having a familiar name about.

Enjoy. :)
I wasn't usenetting at the time, but I started internetting in 98.

The arguments haven't really changed much, but they have evolved over time. And I still don't like it when I see rational people try to be unnecessarily mean to someone they disagree with on videogames.

I let it slide a lot more than I should. And good-natured jokes are always a fun pastime. But I don't like using stupid things someone has said as a way of dismissing them outright.

I've said a lot of very stupid things in my time.

AzaK

Going to suck when Orbis and Durango games can't be ported. The thing can barley handle PS3/360 games. Why did Nintendo have to fuck up again in the hardware area?

I'm about to lose the plot here. How many more people who can't comprehend even the most basic of concepts are we going to see pop up in threads and spout doom and gloom.

We have not ONCE, ONCE. O N C E seen a title that attempts to push the Wii U.

Almost everyone knew Wii U would be a small jump over 360

Launch ports are not necessarily that great ever. Especially when you're looking at an architecturally different machine.

Lower clocked CPU doesn't necessarily mean a slower CPU. It might be, it might not. We do know it's a different type of CPU (OoO instead of in order) and that might generate problems.

Basically we know fuck all about the Wii U's real potential and not until someone completes the spec sheet for us, or says "Here, this is our best shot" are we going to have any idea as to what this thing can, or can't do. In fact, even if we get the former, some dev with make the thing sing beyond the paper specs. Just look at UC 3, or Halo 4. What those devs are doing with these consoles is pretty amazing.

Wii U might be a piece of shit, or it might actually be a noticeable step up, but how about we stop the asinine conclusions.

norinrad

I'm not sure why you guys always make these long threads to cry.

At end of the day and it the long run, only Nintendo knows how to properly utilize the power of their consoles. 3rd parties will be complaining about Nintendo in 2020 about the same thing. It never changes.

deviljho

In fact, even if we get the former, some dev with make the thing sing beyond the paper specs. Just look at UC 3, or Halo 4

While I agree that we should wait to see games that push the hardware completely, using UC3 and Halo 4 as examples is not useful. Not even Nintendo would spend tons of money making a Metroid or Star Fox game that would fully push the Wii U. Zelda, perhaps.

freddy

Banned
But I don't like using stupid things someone has said as a way of dismissing them outright.

This part is all in your head. There was a post above mine that linked to what I posted and I found it funny. I know you've posted a lot in this thread but I'm not involved in the meta part of it. I haven't even read the majority of it to be honest. Anyway take care, and remember it's not too serious :)

This part is all in your head. There was a post above mine that linked to what I posted and I found it funny. I know you've posted a lot in this thread but I'm not involved in the meta part of it. I haven't even read the majority of it to be honest. Anyway take care, and remember it's not too serious :)
Honestly, I should probably give myself some time to recover from the holidays.

I've slept a total sum of 6 hours in the past three days. And my arguments from fairly intoxicated to sobriety haven't really wavered. Respectful to those that were being hostile. Elucidating my overview from before to after. Admitting that I overshot even a low minimum.

It just seemed dismissive. Mean-spirited instead of funny. I've always liked ya, but it didn't sit well. Lots of posts don't though. There's probably a half a thousand in Heavy's history I wouldn't like.

And me no perfect either. I said a swear earlier.

deviljho

It just seemed dismissive. Mean-spirited instead of funny. I've always liked ya, but it didn't sit well. Lots of posts don't though. There's probably a half a thousand in Heavy's history I wouldn't like.

I'm not responsible for how people respond to my post, nor do I think my post was anything uncalled for. A few people posted about their personal experiences and that of their significant others, etc... Heavy arrogantly dismissed those posts as if he knew what other people want, particularly women, or that those posters were wrong for actually having that experience. I think it was perfectly fair to point out his own post about understanding women in reaction to him thoroughly ignoring the other poster's experiences with women. I can't believe I'm explaining this. Lay off those figs for bit maybe? Iwata has some tasty bananas.

Log4Girlz

Well fuck if it's going to be a really underpowered next-gen system, at least it's not going to be costing you much money on the electric end.

What if it was weak and jacked your electric bill by... dollars?

I'm sorry but yes I am an American and I like my things big. If I'm going to have something big I want it screaming pain big. Like Assplitter big.

I mean I still like those Nintendo games... but if Watch_Dog's is a launch Durango or Orbis game? Completely side-stepping that WiiU class hardware?

I'm definitely going to be buying one of them.

There's still a tech whore in here. Even if at one point he thought Nintendo might at least try to hit a level above the 360/PS3. Or that they had any intention of helping 3rd party devs in a significant way. Especially when offering... interesting hardware.

But either those engines couldn't hit parity by launch of the platform (and that's probably on Nintendo and their historically bad documentation), or there is a power deficit. A power deficit with the 360 and PS3.

That is mind-numbingly mind-boggling. I mean even the idea that it can't run current gen engines well. I figured given some time, and what I thought were the minimum specs launch titles would at least hit a degree of stability.

Well then we figured out the memory bandwidth. And pretty much any improvements in the design overall, even taking into account the reports that the CPU was lacking were immediately slowed to a crawl.

That's one hell of a limitation for a platform supposedly intended to be supported by 3rd parties for a generation. Give them at the minimum (barring future delays in OS efficiency) 1 gig of RAM usable for games... but make it unbelievably slow. You have space, but no speed. That...

I mean yikes. Just yikes.

I could rant all day about the insanity of the design. I mean unless purple Pikmin are hidden away in that eDram pool this thing may always struggle to run engines not intended for it. Always be limited to certain degrees of titles on the PS3/360. There may be improvements in other arenas.

But the only way we are likely to ever see it is if the dev has a singular focus on the platform. If it's all they know.

Nintendo is like one of those douchebag Genies that grants a wish with a secret caveat.

Nintendo: "I will grant you three wishes. What is your first wish?"

Third Party Developer: "Well, since you're coming out in 2012, how about 2 gigs of RAM? That shouldn't be too much to ask"

Nintendo: "Your wish has been granted. The Wii U now has 2 gigabytes of RAM. Half is reserved for our OS and what you do have access to is half the bandwidth of the previous generation of consoles which you spent so much blood sweat and tears perfecting engines for. What is your second wish?"

Third Party Developer: "You know what, you can keep the wishes".

Nintendo is like one of those douchebag Genies that grants a wish with a secret caveat.

Nintendo: "I will grant you three wishes. What is your first wish?"

Third Party Developer: "Well, since you're coming out in 2012, how about 2 gigs of RAM? That shouldn't be too much to ask"

Nintendo: "Your wish has been granted. The Wii U now has 2 gigabytes of RAM. Half is reserved for our OS and what you do have access to is half the bandwidth of the previous generation of consoles which you spent so much blood sweat and tears perfecting engines for. What is your second wish?"

Third Party Developer: "You know what, you can keep the wishes".

That is the genie archetype until Disney worked their devil magic.

StevieP

Banned
Wow, is this what is being used as justification for rationalising Nintendo's strategy for going to for low power consuming console..?!

Never'd have imagined that I'd read this from you, mate. Reads like a page out of "Insert console" defence force. Guess everyone has his/her limit before insecurities start to crack in.

C'mon dude, this isn't defense force shit. I have stated multiple times that I *personally* do not give a damn about power consumption, and even manage to have a 1000w dual GPU gaming box in a nice expensive and near silent home theater PC case (thereby lessening the "living room impact" - I had to spend a lot of money on the rig to make it that way). But there wouldn't be an electronics segment that Nintendo seems to have obviously forcefully bludgeoned themselves into over the last 2 generations (SFF - "small form factor") if there didn't exist any demand for such electronics. "Living room impact" is a real thing, it's not made up in mine or anyone else's head.

I've said it like a dozen times now - small, powerful, cheap - pick 2.

I'm not a console hardware designer, but don't you think Nintendo could've designed something a more powerful for the same >$300 budget if they made it the size of a launch PS3? I think so. It obviously was not on their collective conscious. Instead they made a box for just over $300 that has a bit more (overall, at least - we obviously have an idea of its quirks now) juice than a 360 slim that drinks half the power. It's not my cup of tea to constrain a piece of electronics to sucking down that little power, but I can still say that's probably why their hardware guys were proud of the box in the "Iwata Asks" that they did. That, and the fact that in Japan small, diminuative electronics and power consumption are proven far more important than where I live. I won't pretend to know the thought process behind their designers, but I certainly know why what I called "living room presence" is important, as do others in this thread.

They might not even be able to say that about the iPhone next year or so heh

... really? powerVR are good people, but physics still exist. A GPU constrained to <5w is not going to outperform one that's sucking 30w from the mains.

Top Bottom