• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three months later, Baldur's Gate 3 is still drawing 130k concurrent players on Steam daily

Man, easily one of the best of the year in a year full of excellent games. I believe that the co-op has helped to keep the community alive.

3ncTAWW.png

BgSAh05.png

Kind of annoyed that the one time in weeks I have a bit of free time, they update the game and break all my mods that I think are vital(wasd+camera). Still, easily my favorite game of the year. ToTk is a very close second, and I look forward to a replay, but I'm just enthralled with BG3. I wish I had more time and buddies to play the co-op with. A once in a generation kind of game.

Last edited:

Larxia

Kind of annoyed that the one time in weeks I have a bit of free time, they update the game and break all my mods that I think are vital(wasd+camera). Still, easily my favorite game of the year. ToTk is a very close second, and I look forward to a replay, but I'm just enthralled with BG3. I wish I had more time and buddies to play the co-op with. A once in a generation kind of game.
lol exactly the same for me, I can't play at all without the wasd mod. Best mod, real game changer. I really don't understand how this isn't a feature built in the game, but I'm really glad this mod exists, I don't like the gameplay with a controller but I also don't like click to move gameplay, so the wasd mod makes it the perfect experience for me.

WitchHunter

Banned
Seriously, after the quite ok DOS2, Larian created this gargantuan 250 hour marathon that is very good in the early stages, then becomes a borefest, a lacklustre experience. A horrible otyugh, that meddles in everything and excels only in voiceovers and animations, and botches everything else. It's a waterhead, a funny retardation, a shame on RPGs. If this gets GOTY, that means only shitty games got published this year. And they sold this unfinished pile of shite to Wizards of the Coast :D. And they bought it, the masters of D&D :D.

Of course people still playing it. If you work 8 hour a day, then average joes play around 4 hours per day, that's 2 months of playtime. Plus another month emptying the crates, not that it's worth it, since itemization is shit.

Last edited:

Fredrik

15% of the initial concurrent player count after 3 months, may seem like a big drop but 130k is still more than most games peak numbers.

How is it doing on console? I don’t hear much about it.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Of course. PC players are generally long term hardcore players.

Check sales chart. It was doing pretty well there as well.

Word of mouth has created a reputation as some sort of "miracle" for this game. One of my nephews who hates top down games is planning to play it. Was already convinced this game is extremely good.

Can't wait myself to dive in.

Fredrik

Of course. PC players are generally long term hardcore players.
It’s not full multiplayer though, co-op increase the numbers a bit but I think a bigger drop is expected when it’s fairly story-focused.

For comparison:
3 months
BG3, 130k @ 3 months, 85% drop.
Hogwarts, 20k @ 3 months, 89% drop.
Elden Ring, 90k @ 3 months, 91% drop.
Cyberpunk, 20k @ 3 months, 98% drop.

2 months
BG3, 250k @ 2 months, 72% drop.
Elden Ring, 190k @ 2 months, 80% drop.
Starfield, 40k @ 2 months, 88% drop.
Hogwarts, 60k @ 2 months, 89% drop.
Cyberpunk, 50k @ 2 months, 94% drop.

Mods and expansions can give PC games new blood though. Cyberpunk had a fast drop down to 20k in 3 months but peaked back to 270k at the Phantom Liberty release, 77k right now.

Last edited:

Pallas

GOTY between this and TOTK. I hope it wins. Everything I’ve seen has been pretty great with this game.

nowhat

How is it doing on console? I don’t hear much about it.
During launch month it was #2 on PS Store in both US and Europe (with the top spot being taken predictably by NBA and EA FC, respectively), but I don't think there's been much talk about download numbers since. PS Store figures seem to drop somewhat randomly.

Last edited:

Denton

It's definitely cock with onions, but the ending of this particular cock needs a bit of work. Lack of ending slides was ridiculous ommision.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just hit act 2 on my third run. When was the last time I played a game this long three times in the space of three months? Ever?

Might be my favourite game since WoW launched.

Tsaki

Full price, 3 months after launch, still in the top 5. I don't think I've seen it drop below it for this time period. Shame the sales panels don't track Larian

K0ntsdG.jpg

I've not played it since September as I got a bit bored of how easy it was as well as the bugs and poor performance in Act 3 but I just tried my furthest along save and the lowest I could get it to drop in Wyrm's Crossing was 120fps at the bridge that was 17fps on PS5 in a DF video and every patch has like 1000 bug fixes so they've obviously been busy.

I might see if there are any difficulty mods and go again once I clear my backlog a bit. Thanks to 5e it's not as easy as "don't min-max" as even the worst builds are too strong unlike the Pathfinder games (which is admittedly a big part of why those games aren't popular as they can be impenetrable for newcomers).

WitchHunter

Banned
It’s not full multiplayer though, co-op increase the numbers a bit but I think a bigger drop is expected when it’s fairly story-focused.

For comparison:
3 months
BG3, 130k @ 3 months, 85% drop.
Hogwarts, 20k @ 3 months, 89% drop.
Elden Ring, 90k @ 3 months, 91% drop.
Cyberpunk, 20k @ 3 months, 98% drop.

2 months
BG3, 250k @ 2 months, 72% drop.
Elden Ring, 190k @ 2 months, 80% drop.
Starfield, 40k @ 2 months, 88% drop.
Hogwarts, 60k @ 2 months, 89% drop.
Cyberpunk, 50k @ 2 months, 94% drop.

Mods and expansions can give PC games new blood though. Cyberpunk had a fast drop down to 20k in 3 months but peaked back to 270k at the Phantom Liberty release, 77k right now.
Player count and quality does not correlate. It's like comparing the anemic Coldplay or U2 with Amy Winehouse.

Chronicle

I want to get this. Is the co op kinda drop in drop out? Do you have separated charatets/saves for your single player campaign?

Fredrik

Player count and quality does not correlate. It's like comparing the anemic Coldplay or U2 with Amy Winehouse.
It’s something. A game with 130k concurrent players on Steam after 3 months is impressive no doubt. The stay is higher than usual for a mostly single-player game.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Know people on their third playthrough of the game and I can totally see it because there are a lot of choices to be made.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I want to get this. Is the co op kinda drop in drop out? Do you have separated charatets/saves for your single player campaign?
Every save can be played either SP or co-op, with other players being able to drop-in and out of your game according to your permissions. Players take control of your companions from that save.

If you start a new game with other players, the other players will be able to make their own custom characters that'll remain for the rest of the campaign (though they can be modified and re-speced). If the other players leave that game, you'll still be able to keep playing SP while assuming control of these characters (you can also dismiss them).

Last edited:

GHG

130 thousand in 3 months!!!

This chap must have had his balls blow off at this news!

Fucking hilarious that BG3 managed to do this without all the not so subtle viral/shill marketing across gaming social media.

No hundreds of "what will you be xxxxx when you Baldurs Gate 3" threads.

No "massive and growing" threads.

It just goes to show that some companies have their priorities in all the wrong places.

youtube the evil is defeated GIF

Labadal

It would be cool of a content modding community grew around this. I was disappointed that not much happened with the Original Sins in that regard.

EDMIX

I hope Square sees this AAA turn based RPG getting GOTY and feels dumb for making FF into a shitty action game

I mean....those action ones are literally the best selling titles in the series soooooo

Also, they literally still make turn based games, Bravely Default series, Octopath Traveler, Dragon Quest etc. So anytime I hear this crying over FF not being turned based, I question why the fuck many of you ignored several IP Square made turn based post FF, so losing FF as a turn base game is kinda irrelevant if you literally now how Bravely Default and Octopath, as in you now have 2 fucking IP that are turn based that didn't exist prior....put that energy into enjoying those games sir, for all you know, the every fucking ideas they had for ANY FF to continue to be turn based, was simply put into those games, so at this point you are arguing about the NAME "Final Fantasy" not having a turn base release, all while ignoring several fucking turn base games by the same people that used to make the shit you are asking for...

We might as well just print out a cover of Bravely Default and replace the title and put Final Fantasy as the title

Enjoy! lol

BG3 is an amazing game, but its disrespectful even to that team to believe that merely being turn based is what got it GOTY and massive sales etc. Benny...I'm more then positive you are smart enough to realize MORE went into BG3 then merely being turn based as to why we are praising it.

Urban

U know i hate all the mechanics that the game presents to me: Wall of texts, round based combat, rng, wrpg etc. etc.
and this game made me love it so much, that it landed on my personal top 10 of all time.

What a Masterpiece

This game is still averaging way above 100,000 and had a peak this month of 300,000.

This is unprecedented for a single player game. Most other big single player games seem to average around 10,000 to 50,000 longterm.

What's the reason? As someone that's yet to play it I assume it's the replay ability. (Still waiting for a price cut lol fat chance!).

If this continues Longterm it may end up catching Witcher 3 and Skyrim LTD! I'am talking 10 years here!

This game is still averaging way above 100,000 and had a peak this month of 300,000.

This is unprecedented for a single player game. Most other big single player games seem to average around 10,000 to 50,000 longterm.

What's the reason? As someone that's yet to play it I assume it's the replay ability. (Still waiting for a price cut lol fat chance!).

If this continues Longterm it may end up catching Witcher 3 and Skyrim LTD! I'am talking 10 years here!
It's good and long... and yes, I'm fully aware that's what she said :)

Top Bottom