• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three new Evil Within Videos featuring Adam Sessler

I see no reason the millions of folks that made RE4 a success, won't see this game, see the inevitable reviews, and buy the damn thing. At this point, with all the new stuff they have been showing. I have absolutely 100%, zero doubts that this game will be fantastic. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I've got this bad boy waiting for the official OT:

i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif
Dangerous game you're playing there!

-contemplates leaving all TEW threads-

Really it just boils down to a few things. He directs good games, his track record shows it. As far as I know it could still be dissapointing. Be so hyped for a game like I am and many others is extremely dangerous if you ask me. Can lead to a huge crushing blow. I remember I had this much excitement for RE4 back in the day and the full game just destroyed that completely. I couldn't prepare for everything. I hope the same can be said for TEW. Simple as that. I don't think anyone here is idolizing or giving this game a free pass in the slightest.

Dangerous game you're playing there!

Check my post history. I don't say things like this at all really. Just to show you how much faith I have in said game. Moments like these are rare for me. Not to mention I've already seen countless others get renewed faith in this with more and more footage, hands on, etc being revealed. It feels good and I feel good :D Hoping for the best. Yet it's a game I'm willing to play!

I loved Puzzle Crisis :).

Speaking of Dino Crisis. I've been replaying part 2 and I swear it feels like a pre-cursor to the more action style of RE4 in some ways. Tons of enemies, abundance of ammo, etc just still has the conventional static camera and tank controls. It's not exact of course, but just feels like a move in that direction that it eventually went towards in the later RE games.

Riposte

It is not about being "excited", I assure you, I'm very excited for this game; it is about becoming evangelical about something. That, at the very least, creates blind spots that can lead to something like becoming impressed with "I shoot the gun, the bullet hit the wall, and the game did a visual effect thing". I don't think anyone is better by become an evangelist nor any conversation they take part in. As someone who's excited for a game and admirer of its creators, it's more repulsive than anything (especially having seen for so many years). This is why people are critical of hype and marketing cycles and such.

There's also the added dimension that true survival horror is not something that is really seen as all the marketable (or for whatever other reason is pretty rare) so in some ways the future of the genre could potentially depend somewhat on the awareness and success of this game.

Your "true survival horror" line is quite nonsensical to me. If it was the "true" form, then it would have the mechanics (controls, camera) along the lines of Resident Evil 1 or perhaps REmake (or Dino Crisis, etc.). That's the only condition "survival horror" means anything more than two random pairings of themes applicable to any genre, in part or together. If this is about horror themed games or games with horror themed parts to them, there are actually quite of a bit of that. Seems like people are excited for a very specific kind of action game that Mikami is famous for (among many things), but not exactly since this seems quite a step away from Resident Evil 4 in many respects (which wasn't "survival horror" in the first place?). EDIT: In other words, this is just a good (I hope) game that's coming out, try not to make it sound a "movement".

Your "true survival horror" line is quite nonsensical to me. If it was the "true" form, then it would have the mechanics (controls, camera) along the lines of Resident Evil 1 or perhaps REmake (or Dino Crisis, etc.). That's the only condition "survival horror" means anything more than two random pairings of themes applicable to any genre, in part or together. If this is about horror themed games or games with horror themed parts to them, there are actually quite of a bit of that. Seems like people are excited for a very specific kind of action game that Mikami is famous for (among many things), but not exactly since this seems quite a step away from Resident Evil 4 in many respects (which wasn't "survival horror" in the first place?). EDIT: In other words, this is just a good (I hope) game that's coming out, try not to make it sound a "movement".

Regardless of what I called it (a survival horror means different things to different people), this game fits in a horror niche that isn't too prevalent anymore; ie it falls between the more popular horror titles (run away from everything i.e. outlast, and amnesia, and action packed horror like Dead Space and RE games since 4). I'm not sure how that's nonsensical, especially considering the game does seem to have design philosophies in common with REmake and other classic survival horror games.

Patroclos

Banned
obligatory "what's the difference" post.

Actually, I think there is a difference. This seems less deceptive. That second one was damn good. I also don't think Sess is doing this cause he needs a check or something. He seems into the game which is refreshing after witnessing him sort of burn out and go Gerstman
(cynical bastard, sorry)
. Maybe he is actually making money promoting something he like/believes in, it can happen.

Verger

Banned
I will not check out those vids. I will not check out those vids. I will not check out those vids...
Same. I know some say there are safe, but I want things to feel Fresh when I go in. Like when I played Resident Evil 4, I only knew about the village area and a bit of the Castle, and it was amazing how much more content ended up in that game than I had expected. I hope Shinji will astound yet again. :)

I will not check out those vids. I will not check out those vids. I will not check out those vids...

There actually more insightful then spoiler turf. If you don't watch, be sure to at least after the game releases and you have played. Some really good questions and whatnot in the videos.

Riposte

Regardless of what I called it (a survival horror means different things to different people), this game fits in a horror niche that isn't too prevalent anymore; ie it falls between the more popular horror titles (run away from everything i.e. outlast, and amnesia, and action packed horror like Dead Space and RE games since 4). I'm not sure how that's nonsensical, especially considering the game does seem to have design philosophies in common with REmake and other classic survival horror games.

I guess when you shrink it down to something like that, it's harder to see as a return of something significant (more games like RE1 would be quite significant). I also wonder where something like Metro or The Last of Us falls in your spectrum, not to mention whole sections of "action packed horror" games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I generally agree with Mikami's description of survival-horror as opposed to action-horror or pure horror.

But I'm of the belief that fixed-camera angle and some staples weren't what the genre was made out of, just common elements.

I would definite Last of Us as a survival-action title, and have not played Metro yet.

I generally agree with Mikami's description of survival-horror as opposed to action-horror or pure horror.

But I'm of the belief that fixed-camera angle and some staples weren't what the genre was made out of, just common elements.

I would definite Last of Us as a survival-action title, and have not played Metro yet.

I tend to agree. If I were to remove the camera angles and the controls on REmake for example, I don't think much would be lost in the survival horror feel of it all.

I tend to agree. If I were to remove the camera angles and the controls on REmake for example, I don't think much would be lost in the survival horror feel of it all.

I agree... Though the game would certainly feel a lot different. It's actually kind of weird to think about how it might play as the fixed angles are so engrained into my brain that I can't imagine it any other way.

That was awesome. Good to see Sessler doing interviews again, and my hype for this game just keeps rising. It looks like what Resident Evil 5 should've been.

Lucent

Yeah. I loved the static camera angles, but they were mostly a trick. It was like if in real life you heard a noise but couldn't tell what it was because it was around the corner, making it out of your view. In the original RE games, even if your character should be able to see what they hear, you can't see it.

I feel that RE4 still kept that unknowingness by having your character up against the screen so you couldn't see behind you (because you can't in real life), so you had to always be aware of your surrounding. Couldn't just fire away in front of you and not think that you'd get attacked from behind.

Survival horror to me is about having limited resources and making decisions based on what you have, what you're up against, and what are viable options of dealing with it.

Dusk Golem

From a design perspective I don't think it'd be as efficient as it's built around those, but in a general sense I don't disagree.

Of course, opinions on what defines the difference between these aren't set in stone completely and some interpretation at play here, but I think it wasn't made up by the elements, as by these elements some other games that definitely are not horror games would be classified as such as they have fixed camera angles or key collecting, puzzles, etc. it is defined by its horror and its survival.

I guess when you shrink it down to something like that, it's harder to see as a return of something significant (more games like RE1 would be quite significant). I also wonder where something like Metro or The Last of Us falls in your spectrum, not to mention whole sections of "action packed horror" games.

I haven't played Metro, but The Last of Us certainly comes close to what I'm looking for in some aspects (scavenging, limited resources), but its uber forgiving checkpointing is not something I want in a "real" survival horror game. But obviously The Last of Us doesn't commit itself to being purely a 'horror' game, even thought it has plenty of elements of horror and survival horror. But most of the design decisions aren't centered around scaring and stressing the player out.

I suppose what I consider to be a 'survival horror' game is a fairly narrow group of games, but contrary to what you say I find that to mean that The Evil Within is all the more significant, as it marks a returned exploration of a specific type of game that I don't think has been explored all that thoroughly.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Actually, I think there is a difference. This seems less deceptive. That second one was damn good. I also don't think Sess is doing this cause he needs a check or something. He seems into the game which is refreshing after witnessing him sort of burn out and go Gerstman
(cynical bastard, sorry)
. Maybe he is actually making money promoting something he like/believes in, it can happen.

Or maybe it's more deceptive. The fact that you say the bolded is exactly what they're trying to accomplish by hiring a well-known critic personality to enmesh in their PR while giving it a veneer of journalistic coverage. It is a biased, crafted PR message. Please don't let Sessler's presence fool you into thinking he's given his approval as a critic. He's a hired gun (and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you take it for what it is).

I've seen all the footage of this game that there is, and I'm not entirely sure what makes it less action-packed than RE4 or Dead Space. Those games both have extended periods of exploration and non-combat. What is it about this game that makes people see it as less action-packed? As a return to something that was lost? Is it the scenes where crazy stuff happens and Sebastian runs through it? Is it being chased by a big dude with a rusty pointy thing? Puzzles? An aesthetic that sometimes reminds us of Silent Hill? Is it simply the scarcity of ammo?

Dusk Golem

Or maybe it's more deceptive. The fact that you say the bolded is exactly what they're trying to accomplish by hiring a well-known critic personality to enmesh in their PR while giving it a veneer of journalistic coverage. It is a biased, crafted PR message. Please don't Sessler's presence fool you into thinking he's given his approval as a critic. He's a hired gun (and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you take it for what it is).
It's business, but there can also be pleasure to business. My stance based on everything is that Sessler took this job because he wanted to take this job because he liked the game, but what is presented is a marketing thing.

I think it's grey rather than black or white, but I don't actually know that obviously, just what I read into it as though. I don't doubt that Adam has played the game, and that I don't doubt he liked the game. Just as I don't doubt he saw this situation as a way to be edit himself and have gains from it. And I don't doubt Bethesda chose him because he is a famous game image face, and the fact he liked Resident Evil 4 a lot and probably liked Evil Within a lot. But I also feel if he absolutely disliked the game he wouldn't of gone through with it, and Bethesda wouldn't of hired him if he didn't like the game.

In the end what Adam Sessler thinks of the game doesn't concern me too much, I've been sold on this game since I played the demo, but I think there is a way to mix business and pleasure in PR, and this felt like a bit more to me at least than just phoning it in. But that's just my take.

I've seen all the footage of this game that there is, and I'm not entirely sure what makes it less action-packed than RE4 or Dead Space. Those games both have extended periods of exploration and non-combat. What is it about this game that makes people see it as less action-packed? As a return to something that was lost? Is it the scenes where crazy stuff happens and Sebastian runs through it? Is it being chased by a big dude with a rusty pointy thing? Puzzles? An aesthetic that sometimes reminds us of Silent Hill? Is it simply the scarcity of ammo?

I think it's a combination of things really. The fact that ammo is limited, that there is puzzles, that there is psychological aspects, notes to be found, traps to avoid. There is no denying it has action and plenty of it persay, but it with everything combined and the way Shinji has been talking about finding the perfect balance.I think that's more what people are assuming it's less actiony. I don't think slow moments do well for showcasing a game off either so there might be plenty of moments were just not being exposed to. Also the fact that perhaps even though it has action built in, the focus isn't on action from the get go but the balance. I'd def say Dead Space 1 was still a great survival horror game, but 2 and 3 took it way further into the action realm. I don't think TEW will go that far at all, but I don't know.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's business, but there can also be pleasure to business. My stance based on everything is that Sessler took this job because he wanted to take this job because he liked the game, but what is presented is a marketing thing.

I think it's grey rather than black or white, but I don't actually know that obviously, just what I read into it as though. I don't doubt that Adam has played the game, and that I don't doubt he liked the game. Just as I don't doubt he saw this situation as a way to be edit himself and have gains from it. And I don't doubt Bethesda chose him because he is a famous game image face, and the fact he liked Resident Evil 4 a lot and probably liked Evil Within a lot. But I also feel if he absolutely disliked the game he wouldn't of gone through with it, and Bethesda wouldn't of hired him if he didn't like the game.

In the end what Adam Sessler thinks of the game doesn't concern me too much, I've been sold on this game since I played the demo, but I think there is a way to mix business and pleasure in PR, and this felt like a bit more to me at least than just phoning it in. But that's just my take.

I agree that the situation is nuanced. And it's totally possible that Sessler only agreed to do this because he actually likes the game. But the point remains that we can't trust what he says because he might love the game or he might be exaggerating because it's his job to help sell it. I don't hold it against him at all. I just think it's very important to keep in mind that his praise cannot logically be taken at face value.

Dusk Golem

I've played the demo at least 6 times for a collective over 3 hours, I can answer this.

Game plays more differently than I think you're expecting. I've played RE4 and Dead Space on their hardest difficulties and beat both. However, Evil Within is a a lot different than I think you're expecting it to feel like those games. Before I played it, I expected something like RE4 or Dead Space, but was surprised how different it was when playing.

The first most obvious thing is you can't stealth in either, but that exclusively doesn't make it not an action game, as countless examples will show.

The key here is execution, design, atmosphere, threat, uncertainty. RE4 and Dead Space are a lot more predictable than Evil Within is. I can't speak of the whole game of Evil Within, but in RE4 and DS encounters remain the same, so if you lose you just face the same encounter again. In Evil Within, the encounters can change dramatically, or they may suddenly be no encounter at all, and where there was none previously there now is one.

The sound design in Evil Within is brilliant. I don't think this will be fully appreciated until people play it themselves. It is seriously one of the best horror game sound designs I have experienced in a long while. The audio has great attention to detail, is really creepy, great distance and 3D sound ambiance with good dissonance, echo, reverb, etc., and can be unnerving to hear a sound and not sure what it belongs too. Music was undertoned but effective in the demo area, and unlike RE4 or Dead Space music doesn't suddenly start playing when an enemy is alerted and tones down when they're not, you just have natural ambient sounds making it a lot more tense.

The enemies I find more unsettling, especially in practice. They sound creepy, but they look normal (basic Haunted), but off. Not in a zombie way, they're creepy to me in the same way Shibito in the Forbidden Siren series are creepy to me. They seem human, but they're off, visually, in how they move, how they sound. And they seem like they can't die at times and will get back up if left unintended. Matched with the stealth there were definite Forbidden Siren feels I was getting from the game. But the enemies can be surprisingly intelligent, and their animations make them a bit nerve wrecking to try and sneak up in as they sway and stutter and suddenly do things. They're tough and due to a variety of elements, are much harder for me to kill than Ganados or Necromorphs, it is saying something I find the Haunted more difficult on nomal than I find Ganados or Necromorphs on the hardest difficulties in their games. They also will infinitely reanimate unless you meet one of three kill conditions, two of which are challenging by the game's mechanics and design (headshots and stealth kills), one uses a limited resource (matches).

A part of this too is that Sebastian is an unreliable main character. On lower level stats at least, he can only run for about 5-10 seconds before he tires out. His aim is not that great, he doesn't shoot in the middle, the reticle is basically his 'shot range' and he can shoot over a foot or two away from where you aimed in a different direction. Enemies have smaller hitboxes for their weakpoints on-top of this, and thus makes shooting them much more challenging and less reliant on your testy aim. They also take a fair amount to take down in bullets, and ammo is scarce, plus if you 'kill' them as then don't get a headshot or burn them in time, they'll get back up, making it feel you wasted ammunition on them, making their risk and thought into just shooting them. And the other mechanics make other things have to be thought-out, such as running from them,
stealthing past them, or hiding from them.

There's more, but a bit tired as 1 AM here and think I made some good points.

Going through what Mikami said on this thread as I didn't watch the videos because I don't want spoilers had me all like

domwestcry.gif

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

I have no idea what it is about this game that brings out the most stick up the butt people getting agitated about the smallest things, shotgun gif was epic because this is a freaking horror game.

I'm glad it was posted before I can even see the videos because it shows me gore will be a non-issue and that the enemy reaction will be accurate as heck. Let people enjoy what they want, it's sad that after that gif was posted everyone shut down and no othera appeared.

The power of negativity and pompous elitist trying to dictate how to be excited..sorry people geek out when they're excited, but gaming is a geek hobby, if you're in a thread about a game on gaf, you are a geek, you lost your "cool" card here the moment you chose the avatars you did.

Whether or not you're trolling, focus on the reticle, and the way a shotgun works. In any other game, that first shot would have been a "headshot" a-la Gears of War. Instead, it was way more realistic; most of the spread from the shotgun went past him and hit the wall, while some of the other fragments tapped off his shoulder. Top-notch precision is always impressive and should be admired.

um, hundreds of FPS games since forever have tracked the individual pellets from shotguns and/or had hit reactions for less damaging hits.

Fucking doom 1 tracks the pellets and has painstates.

Comparison of builds from TEW forums:

image.jpg

The first one in 2013 was using a nice volumetric light in that scene, is it still in the newest gameplay vids?

I have no idea what it is about this game that brings out the most stick up the butt people getting agitated about the smallest things, shotgun gif was epic because this is a freaking horror game.

I'm glad it was posted before I can even see the videos because it shows me gore will be a non-issue and that the enemy reaction will be accurate as heck. Let people enjoy what they want, it's sad that after that gif was posted everyone shut down and no othera appeared.

The power of negativity and pompous elitist trying to dictate how to be excited..sorry people geek out when they're excited, but gaming is a geek hobby, if you're in a thread about a game on gaf, you are a geek, you lost your "cool" card here the moment you chose the avatars you did.

Don't worry, nothing is gonna bring me down :D

ToMjGpC1Ee3ifneg6I0.gif

Lucent

Yep. Lol.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Nobody here is anti-GIF. What raised eyebrows was the accompanying text, which has since been edited out.

You're missing my point, when we draw a line at what someone can be excited about you get people being apprehensive about sharing, hence this gif less thread.

I do think the fact that he edited his post to exclude said comment, made me feel bad for them. He obviously felt the need to change it afterwards due to all the comments.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Man oh man, these videos have gotten me really hyped. I was purposely avoiding the trailers and stuff, but dove into these videos. It really does feel like the logical progression for a RE title. Could easily be RE5 for all I know. Seems like Mikami has crafted an ace title here.

Does anyone else, however, feel a little disappointed that the game
takes place within the guy's mind? Couldn't that kill a bit of the horror in the progress, knowing that what's happening isn't real?

I don't know about that. Will have to play the game. But, the release can't come sooner.

Also, REALLLLLLLY hoping this gets a semi-decent PC port. Banking on that a LOT.

Man oh man, these videos have gotten me really hyped. I was purposely avoiding the trailers and stuff, but dove into these videos. It really does feel like the logical progression for a RE title. Could easily be RE5 for all I know. Seems like Mikami has crafted an ace title here.

Does anyone else, however, feel a little disappointed that the game
takes place within the guy's mind? Couldn't that kill a bit of the horror in the progress, knowing that what's happening isn't real?

I don't know about that. Will have to play the game. But, the release can't come sooner.

Also, REALLLLLLLY hoping this gets a semi-decent PC port. Banking on that a LOT.

I really, really, really....
think there has to be a bit more to it. I mean, first off, why are the other people like his partners there? Meanwhile, if they are trapped in his mind and can die from it, the tension is still there? It's still real as far as their life is concerned. Or perhaps the mind is the playground that manifest itself in the real world.
Honestly I think it's pretty awesome and allows them to really use it to their potential.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I really, really, really....
think there has to be a bit more to it. I mean, first off, why are the other people like his partners there? Meanwhile, if they are trapped in his mind and can die from it, the tension is still there? It's still real as far as their life is concerned. Or perhaps the mind is the playground that manifest itself in the real world.
Honestly I think it's pretty awesome and allows them to really use it to their potential.

Hmm, can you direct me to the link where they talk about, for the first time, that the game
was set in the player's mind? This third video in the OP doesn't seem like it was it.

Want to check more of it.

Top Bottom