• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three NJ teachers arrested for sex with students, 2 administrators arrested for cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57526645-504083/three-nj-teachers-arrested-for-sex-with-students-2-administrators-arrested-for-covering-up-scandal/?tag=contentMain;contentBody
Three teachers at a New Jersey high school were arrested Thursday for allegedly engaging in sexual relationships with students, while two administrators were arrested for covering up the scandal.

The five adults were suspended from Triton High School in the Philadelphia suburb of Runnemede, N.J., and each could face at least five years in prison if convicted of charges ranging from child endangerment to sexual assault and official misconduct.

The teachers, all men in their late 20s or early 30s, are accused of striking up relationships with female students during the 2011-2012 school year.

Local prosecutors said a student came to Principal Catherine DePaul six months ago with allegations that another student was involved with a teacher at the school, and she saw explicit text messages that the two had exchanged.

After that, Camden County Prosecutor Warren Faulk said that DePaul and Assistant Principal Jernee Kollock ignored policies and safeguards that were in place and instead put into motion a cover-up that promoted a culture "where teachers thought they could get away with improper relationships with their students."

"These charges constitute individual personal, moral, legal and ethical failure," Faulk said at a news conference Thursday.

Faulk said rape charges could not be filed because the sex acts were consensual and the girls were 17 or 18 years old at the time, old enough to consent under state law.

According to court documents, 27-year-old math teacher Dan Michielli had intercourse with a student multiple times during the school year. He is charged with official misconduct, sexual assault, endangering the welfare of a child and criminal sexual conduct.

Gym teacher and boys' soccer coach Nick Martinelli, 28, is charged with official misconduct involving an 18-year-old. He allegedly touched and kissed the girl when she was a student and had intercourse with her after she graduated in June.

Math teacher and girls' track coach Jeff Logandro, 32, is charged with official misconduct, criminal sexual contact and endangering the welfare of a child. A court filing said he inappropriately touched a female student.

Authorities said a student, not one of the alleged victims, told a substitute teacher in April that teachers were "hooking up" with students. The substitute teacher then reported the allegations to DePaul.

Prosecutors said DePaul met with the student, who told her she'd been to one of the teacher's homes with a girl who was involved with him and saw the explicit text messages. Authorities said DePaul asked her to write an account of what she heard and Kollock stayed with the student to help her write the statement, helping her with her grammar, and making the accusations seem less serious.

Faulk said that around the same time, DePaul learned that one of the teachers drove an alleged victim and another student to Ocean City in violation of district policy. But the teacher was merely reprimanded.

Neither administrator contacted authorities, Faulk said. Both were charged with official misconduct.

DePaul later said she wished she was more concerned for the students than the teachers, according to Falk.

The teachers were suspended by the Black Horse Regional School District last month and the administrators were suspended Thursday. Superintendent John Golden said in a statement that the district was cooperating with authorities, notifying families of students of what allegedly happened and offering counseling.

XhnQK.jpg

Pretty crazy. I'm more surprised by the coverup though. Students and teachers do end up together. I know a couple that met when one was the student and the other was a teacher, though nothing happened during the time the student was attending the school. I know another couple that say nothing happened during the school year but I personally don't believe it.

Hari Seldon

I have a buddy of mine who is a really good looking dude, early 30s, and a high school teacher. That dude was a big hornball growing up, and is the type that probably would get easily banned here at neogaf in some thread about Emma Watson, if you know what I mean. But at least he is smart enough not to do this shit haha. He easily could, I was out at a bar with him and one of his graduated former students came up and basically told him that damn near every girl in her class fantasized about fucking him right on the desk in front of everyone lol.

In other words, I don't understand how stupid some of these teachers can be.

Heard a teacher tell a similar story of a male teacher in his early twenties hooking up with an 18-year-old student. The school simply assigned her to another class so that the teacher did not have a supervisory role over her any more and they could go on with their relationship. I think the school let this one slip through their fingers since it was the students last year of school.

I don't think it's that bad if something like that happens. Heard they were still together.

Three teachers at a New Jersey high school were arrested Thursday for allegedly engaging in sexual relationships with students, while two administrators were arrested for covering up the scandal.

The five adults were suspended from Triton High School in the Philadelphia suburb of Runnemede, N.J., and each could face at least five years in prison if convicted of charges ranging from child endangerment to sexual assault and official misconduct.

Ni-

The teachers, all men in th-

Hang em'

Slayven

Teachers better stop messing with students. They fuck around and make that shit a Class A1 felony with mandatory fed time.

I have a buddy of mine who is a really good looking dude, early 30s, and a high school teacher. That dude was a big hornball growing up, and is the type that probably would get easily banned here at neogaf in some thread about Emma Watson, if you know what I mean. But at least he is smart enough not to do this shit haha. He easily could, I was out at a bar with him and one of his graduated former students came up and basically told him that damn near every girl in her class fantasized about fucking him right on the desk in front of everyone lol.

In other words, I don't understand how stupid some of these teachers can be.

So how'd the rest of his night go?

bangai-o

Banned
im starting to wonder if teachers in ther twenties are mature enough for the job. they think think they relate to high school kids because they might listen to the same music or something.

Zalasta

Not that these kind of improprieties didn't exist before the turn of the century, but it is pretty telling about our society when more and more stories like this is occurring around the country. The fact that teenagers and twentysomething teachers think it's okay to engage in these activities and possibly get away with it really mean we are failing as a society. I can't imagine what the educational landscape is like 10, 20 years from now...there is something to be said about how prevalent sex is now compared to when we were that age.

Giard

Faulk said rape charges could not be filed because the sex acts were consensual and the girls were 17 or 18 years old at the time, old enough to consent under state law.
Are there no statutory rape laws in NJ?

Snakeyes

More stories like these are getting out because how easy it is to track this kind of thing with the current abundance of technology. I'm pretty this stuff was about as prevalent a century ago as it is today.

devilhawk

If the students are of legal age the teachers should be fired and blacklisted. I don't agree with arrests or jail time.

entremet

This happens a lot. I know two former male high school teachers who hooked up with 18 year students. They basically pounced after they graduated, but flirted and keep the banter during the school year.

Shadybiz

Damn, this school is right near me; I knew a couple people that went there. I don't know these teachers, though.

It's kinda douchey but still consensual. The teachers shouldn't have been arrested IMO.

Agreed, as long as they were definitely of age. Scummy indeed, unethical certainly, but not illegal.

marrec

Banned
It just said they were above the age of consent. I'm not entirely sure what charge would be appropriate for students having sex with "legal" students.

There are some provisions of law in certain states that protect kids past the legal age of consent if they are in a student/teacher relationship.

entremet

im starting to wonder if teachers in ther twenties are mature enough for the job. they think think they relate to high school kids because they might listen to the same music or something.

Maturity depends on the person, not a huge swath of a demographic.

Plenty of 40 year teachers have fucked their students sadly.

Dead Man

It just said they were above the age of consent. I'm not entirely sure what charge would be appropriate for students having sex with "legal" students.

In some places a teacher student relationship is considered grounds for rape charges since there is an assumption of a power imbalance.

Orayn

In some places a teacher student relationship is considered grounds for rape charges since there is an assumption of a power imbalance.

There are some provisions of law in certain states that protect kids past the legal age of consent if they are in a student/teacher relationship.

I know, I just didn't make the assumption because no such provision was mentioned in the article.

being a straight male high school girls soccer coach has got to be the closest thing to being a kid in a candy store. that doesn't mean you should have candy.

Kettch

I'm still no more fond of these "misconduct" laws than I was the last time we had a topic like this. The correct course of action here is for them to be fired, not arrested. Blacklist them from teaching if you want, there's punishment enough combined with losing any ability to ever do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom