• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

three wonders appreciation thread (capcom classics psp)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i bought capcom classics psp with black tiger, strider, and side arms in mind...or foremost in mind; it compiles a bunch of strong games. but three wonders has become my unexpected favorite -- not to say that it's better than a game like strider, just that i've played it more. three wonders is a cps1 arcade game that consists of three separate games -- an action-platformer, a shooter, and a puzzle game. the platformer and the shooter share a setting. i've been aware of three wonders for a long time, but i never tried it: i suppose i didn't expect any of the individual games to meet the standards of a full game. i haven't tried the puzzle game yet, but in the first two cases i was wrong.

the deliberately paced action-platformer is a bit like metal slug or g+g -- more like metal slug. its visual style reminds of astal on saturn, and the big cartoon sprites read beautifully on the psp screen. it's fantastic. i'm not sure what the shooter reminds me of. maybe forgotten worlds in places, though its mechanics are strictly conventional. it's nothing terribly intense or hardcore, but it's just good fun, and i find myself playing it more than varth or 1941. the big sprites are again very suited to a portable. this is a game to savor, so i'm keeping myself to one credit. but it seems like the platformer may lead into the shooter -- the wee elf in the platformer is after the chariot he rides in the shooter -- which would be really cool.

well, it's just a cool and rarely-discussed game that people ought to try. a couple pics here: http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=10089

Yeah, Three Wonders is pretty damn good (Midnight Wanderers, at least - I never played the other two games). Are there any other good CPS1/2 platformers? Nemo is decent, but that'll never be collected.

Fusebox

Banned
A mate gave me 3 Wonders for Mame when I told him I had never played it before and the side-scroller part is terrific!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
perhaps an appreciation thread of a game no one's heard of was ill-calculated :x

well, i'm glad a few other gafers like it. BUY A THREE WONDERS

drohne said:
perhaps an appreciation thread of a game no one's heard of was ill-calculated :x

well, i'm glad a few other gafers like it. BUY A THREE WONDERS

If it's any consolation, you've intrigued me enough to go boot up my PSP and check it out later. Only had CCC a little while and mostly played Magic Sword and 1941.

mosaic

go eat paint
I had never even heared of Three Wonders before playing it in Capcom Classics Remixed. What an eye-opener. The side-scrolling action game is great. Hell, it's like Strider and Magic Sword had a baby. But cute and charming. I'm surprised Capcom didn't flesh out the action game and make it into a full-length product for the arcade or SNES.

i wish i had a PSP to get this game :(

i've wanted it since the second i saw the game listing...

and that was before this news about three wonders (which i've never heard of) being so awesome!

damn i want it!!

Yes 3 wonders is great. I played and own the Saturn conversion. I hope capcom makes a Capcom collection vol. 2 for console.

So I went and tried this game out, and the side-scroller (Midnight Wanderers) and the shooter part (Chariot) are pretty cool. The puzzle part is throwaway IMO, but the other two are definitely worth a playthrough and have great 2D graphics. Lot of fun.

All in all the CCC Remixed group of games is really fun, and great for a portable. There is a bunch of stuff I'd never tried and is a lot of fun (except Avengers which is terrible). Even Quiz and Dragons is funny because of the early 90s trivia.

I used to play 3 Wonders all the time at the donut shop back in grade school. I LOVE it. One of my fave arcade games. It breaks my heart that Capcom included it in the PSP collection, but not the console versions (no PSP here).

The Puzzle Game (called "Don't Pull" if I recall correctly) gets fairly dull in 1 player, but it was really fun with 2 players slumped over the machine screwing each other over.

GhostSeed

I played a ton of 3 Wonders (mainly Midnight Wanderers) in the arcade back in the day. I had totally forgotten it was even on the PSP collection.

Soul4ger

I was a little against paying $40 for this, but my mom bought it for me for Easter, so I can't complain.. But had I bought it... It's well worth the $40. Three Wonders rules. I've been playing this almost nonstop, with Brain Training breaks in between.

Yeah, Three Wonders was a fun release. I hadn't even heard of it until I imported it along with some other stuff for the Saturn years and years ago. I dug the platformer best.

ghibli99

Three Wonders love right over here. Beautiful 2D craftsmanship, especially on the shooter and the action/platformer one. I haven't played these in *years*, but they made a definite impression on me.

PolyGone

Banned
3wonders.jpg

prolly coulda tossed the puzzle game and called it twin wonders or something

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I've been skipping around the games in CC collection. Been putting off trying three wonders since I never played it and was catering to my sense of nostalgia first. Thanks for bringing attention to it, it'll definitely be the next in the queue for me now.

Oneself

I hate you guys. I can't resist... much.. longer... the impulsive buyer in me awakens and his target is Capcom Classics PSP...:lol

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously, CCC Remix is an excellent addition to the PSP lineup. I mean Black Tiger, 1991, Side Arms, Section Z, Street Fighter 1 (eff the haters, there has never been an arcade perfect port....and Fighting Street doesn't count), Strider makes it a better compilation than the console counterpart. And then discovering Midnight Wanderers on the UMD is such a pleaseant surprise. I don't think I have ever seen or played this game before, but god I love the deliberate pacing of this game. Like some have said earlier, its like metal slug mixed with Ghosts and Goblins with a heaping of Astal. The latter of which I never played on the Saturn. IID4LIFE.

Top Bottom