• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIE Fighter: A Short 80's Anime Style Fan Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
The music doesn't bother me that much because the tempo seems to fit better than orchestral Star Wars music that I know of (not that I'm an expert).

Now, if they could find a piece that was orchestral and fast and matched the scene well, that would be incredible.

Pretty impressive. Two issues I have with it, one minor one major.

1. Based on the craft shown, I assume this is around the time of Return of the Jedi (there are TIE Interceptors and Bombers), if that's the case, where the fuck are the A- and B-wings on the Rebel side? Even if you ignore the EU (where A-Wings were in use as early as the Battle of Yavin) they were still used around this same time.

2. The music. Oh good God, why does "Star Wars" mean "late 80's hair metal/mid 90s JRPG soundtrack music" to these people? Sorry but the only music that should accompany anything Star Wars EVER needs to be orchestral. It just really looked out of place.

Maybe that Rebel fleet didn't have any A-Wing or B-Wing squads assigned to them? Would have loved to see an Interceptor vs A-Wing dogfight.

The music doesn't bother me that much because the tempo seems to fit better than orchestral Star Wars music that I know of (not that I'm an expert).

Now, if they could find a piece that was orchestral and fast and matched the scene well, that would be incredible.

I'm sure someone's goint to re-score it. Once it's on YouTube, it's only a matter of time before YouTube remixes it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Wow. Take that, Japan.

Take what?

If only something like that existed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa8U5OEzSyY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVycvLAFXmc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEEOcqbeclg

I'm pretty sure the music is a throw back to the anime of the time as opposed to Star Wars. I mean, I'm not exactly a fan of it, but I get it.

jvSpvMq.gif

wtf

It's beautiful

someone hold me

Anime doesnt look all the same , its a stupid generalization. But yeah that 80-90's style. Just some backgrounds/off shots of Venus War

It's so aesthetically pleasing. Beautiful grading.

(robbed from animescenes.wordpress.com)

I preferred the previous 2 minute version but its impossible not to be amazed by his dedication.

I'm pretty sure the music is a throw back to the anime of the time as opposed to Star Wars. I mean, I'm not exactly a fan of it, but I get it.

That's exactly what i was thinking. It's Star Wars styled as old school anime and i'm sure sure there'd be rock involved for the action scenes if it was released at that time. Well, pretty sure.
Damn, i enjoyed that and would happily watch a series or movie.

wildfire

Banned
Otaking has come a long way since this.

i0j5XpMmQkvC4.jpg

This picture is unconvincing. Yes it's obvious that certain techniques have been cut or deemphasized for budget concerns but it's only objectively inaccurate. Subjectively it can go either way.

Regardless I still want this guy exported to Japan. There isn't any reason for certain styles being so dominant.

The character animations, especially when they're walking, look very odd. Im not sure how to describe it. Its like they're flash animated and animated normally at the same time or something.

This shot here is the standout worst example:
6OC6ihI.png

Everything else is phenomenal though. Awesome work overall.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Based on the craft shown, I assume this is around the time of Return of the Jedi (there are TIE Interceptors and Bombers), if that's the case, where the fuck are the A- and B-wings on the Rebel side? Even if you ignore the EU (where A-Wings were in use as early as the Battle of Yavin) they were still used around this same time.

The cockpit layout/screens look heavily inspired by the X-Wing/TIE Fighter/XvT/XWA games, and those games were mostly set in-between the original trilogy films. There weren't enough A-Wings and B-Wings to assign throughout the Rebel fleet, most smaller groups had to make do with Y-Wings and X-Wings.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good for otaking, a lot of what he wanted and likes shows through.

I'm sure someone will have an alternative music version like how someone added sound to the leaked version.
I swear I've seen this before. Nonetheless, for a single person, it's jaw dropping.
There was a shorter cut that was leaked, but now it's finished.

i'm not really feeling it. as far as animation goes, there have been better shorts from a single animator. i definitely appreciate the effort that went into it though and it'd be interesting to see a star wars cartoon (2D especially) with this kind of style.

this scene was really good. the battles seem to be his strength where he doesn't have to worry about space (no pun intended)

well that looks better than all of the prequels and weird cartoons associated with them combined.

opinions and all but that's incredibly hyperbolic. the work that goes into a single shot of TCW alone puts most other animated shows out there to shame.

I've thought Star Wars would adapt ridiculously well to Anime, and the Star Wars Manga from Dark Horse only solidified that. I really do wish Disney would, at some point, allocate some money in their budget for some DTV adaptations of the Star Wars Manga series.

If this guy by himself can make that look this good, imagine them actually employing a legitimate studio to put in the work.

(The butt-rock is nasty, though)

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Style is phenomenal. Some of the animation looks a bit off, like he doesn't understand physics (or maybe just trying to be more stylish than my suspension of disbelief allows). I'd totally watch a show based on this

ckohler

Great work. He's very talented. Granted, we're looking at 4 YEARS of work go by in about 7 minutes. Also, there appears to be a lot of rotoscoping but there's also lots of original, hand done animation as well. Bravo.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This will go viral. Great work. He's very talented. Granted, we're looking at 4 YEARS of work in about 7 minutes. Also, there appears to be a LOT of rotoscoping. But, there's also lots of original, hand animation as well. Bravo.

Well, didn't this already go viral before when the WIP was leaked? ;)

Zapages

That was amazing!!! Really great job. The music fit the 80s anime style… I wish anime was like this again. The only thing close to this was the new UC Gundam shows.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

In order:
Hyouka: You Can't Escape
Time of Eve
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Space Dandy
From the New World
Kyousougiga
Kids on the Slope
Nichijou
The Garden of Words
The Tatami Galaxy
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Dennou Coil
Mononoke
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i'm not really feeling it. as far as animation goes, there have been better shorts from a single animator. i definitely appreciate the effort that went into it though and it'd be interesting to see a star wars cartoon (2D especially) with this kind of style.

this scene was really good. the battles seem to be his strength where he doesn't have to worry about space (no pun intended)

opinions and all but that's incredibly hyperbolic. the work that goes into a single shot of TCW alone puts most other animated shows out there to shame.
He's not an animator. He's using rotoscoping as a crutch (his words) to try to bring something to life. He's barely started learning and doesn't really have the basics down.
Style is phenomenal. Some of the animation looks a bit off, like he doesn't understand physics (or maybe just trying to be more stylish than my suspension of disbelief allows). I'd totally watch a show based on this
See above.
How did it get "leaked" if it was a one-man project?
IIRC he put up a WIP video on /m/ and then someone else found it, posted it, then someone added music and SFX and BAM millions of views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom