• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIE Fighter: A Short 80's Anime Style Fan Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty cool. I remember watching the original one a while back, too.

The music doesn't fit, but man, it makes me wanna play some Sega CD and TurboGrafx/PC Engine CD shoot 'em ups.

Grzi

While I admire the work and dedication that went into this, he seriously needs to work on his character designs, they look too "fanarty", sort of like like what happens 90% of the time when a western anime fan tries to emulate the anime look.
Shading isn't everything.

Harlock

Hand drawing always has more personality. Even some animes that use computer animation sometimes uses a fixed image draw by hand to put all that little details.

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/871/

There are two different takes on the mecha. For the action scenes, where ships are seen moving, 3D animation of the ships is used, providing perfect ship movement. Then comes the real feast. In scenes where mecha is static or movement is provided solely by the camera, plates of the 3D model are rendered in a 2D medium and layers of mechanical detail are drawn by hand, most notably by mechanical designer Junichiro Tamamori himself. This technique, which became known as Detail-Up, produced some trully outstanding eye candy throughout the entire series and became one of the defining marks of Yamato 2199.

Detail_Up_Technique.jpg

Uh... I always thought that infographic was a parody, no something "real". I mean, let's look at the part where he says it looks good because it has more tones

YTELWCD.png

It's the most puke inducing amateur "pseudo-anime" art drawn by edgy 15 years old you can find on Internet.

Well even with some of those terrible example images, he still makes a valid point that adding 4-5 tones of shadow can make an image look more striking in animation when it is done right. There is no doubt about that.

Maybe he was trying to invoke some Heavy Metal feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXash0oCxVE

Great edit. Actually, the original B-17 Bomber sequence that the music came from used a lot of rotoscoping as well. Though for this movie the rotoscoping was done with real plastic scale models that were filmed in front of a camera.

Hand drawing always has more personality. Even some animes that use computer animation sometimes uses a fixed image draw by hand to put all that little details.

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/871/

Detail_Up_Technique.jpg
This technique is actually very old. Disney drew over and added detail to computer animations (provided by Pixar) in the 80's, and traced over live action scenes for Pinocchio way back in the 40's. I actually prefer traced 3D animation when appropriate.

Branduil

This looks amazing. I wish Disney would hire this dude and put him in charge of creating his own spinoff TV show. It'd do great as a webseries probably.

I'mma need the names for 5, 6, 9, 11, 12 and 13.
In order:
Hyouka: You Can't Escape
Time of Eve
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Space Dandy
From the New World
Kyousougiga
Kids on the Slope
Nichijou
The Garden of Words
The Tatami Galaxy
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Dennou Coil
Mononoke
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Wag

That was pretty good. Not really what I'd call traditional anime, sort of Peter Chung/Heavy Metal style.

So, it it canon?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom