• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Wii)

I really wished it looked better but I want to use the Wiimote for my first Tiger game purchase

get the controls right please.

note: IGN has hands on later tonight says Matt (I thought he left IGN?)

KarishBHR

WOA GUYS!

This looks like the current(last) gen Tiger Woods games which is great by me! I was so addicted to TW2004 on the xbox its not even funny.

By far one of my more anticipated Wii games

Smiles and Cries said:
I really wished it looked better but I want to use the Wiimote for my first Tiger game purchase

Some elements look pretty decent, but it just doesn't have a particularly attractive style. Dunno how early in development it is, but graphically it's an odd mix of good - quite a nice, clean (if simple) character model, for example - with bad - awkward character animation, poorly textured and detailed backgrounds etc. The leaping back & forth between practice and real shots looks jerky and rough, and it just seems to lack any polish.

If it's early, then those aspects can be worked on & they're not a big issue - but if this is meant to be released soon, then it's fairly disappointing presentation-wise. Controls could be great, but it's impossible to tell from these vids.

Speaking of golf games, I think the Mario Golf series should be re-tooled (now that Camelot is gone) to a mini-golf game rather than being a regular golf game.

Doesn't that seem more natural given the Mario characters?

rage1973

If they get the controls right I would purchase this in a heartbeat. I tried playing Tiger Woods on 360 with my dad and he was completely lost but hopefully the Wiimote will make it much more intuitive for him to play. The golf on Wii Sports just isn't deep enough to make it compelling for me but this could definitely be the one if done right.

soundwave05 said:
Speaking of golf games, I think the Mario Golf series should be re-tooled (now that Camelot is gone) to a mini-golf game rather than being a regular golf game.

Minigolf could work really well actually...but couldn't they just have a combination of both? I know it won't happen but I'd like a Mario Golf where the adults would play normal golf and the baby and jr versions would have their own mini golf courses and stuff

Cosmonaut X said:
Some elements look pretty decent, but it just doesn't have a particularly attractive style. Dunno how early in development it is, but graphically it's an odd mix of good - quite a nice, clean (if simple) character model, for example - with bad - awkward character animation, poorly textured and detailed backgrounds etc. The leaping back & forth between practice and real shots looks jerky and rough, and it just seems to lack any polish.

If it's early, then those aspects can be worked on & they're not a big issue - but if this is meant to be released soon, then it's fairly disappointing presentation-wise. Controls could be great, but it's impossible to tell from these vids.

Well heres to hoping its early, I would love to see this polished till the last day.

I have no idea when its due

Branduil

It looks like a small step up from the last-gen versions. But obviously the real draw of this game will be the controls, so I look forward to actual impressions.

Ydahs

The game does look good in terms of gameplay, though it doesn't look too pretty (except for the character model animations).

kahni

Wait... Camelot is gone? What happened?

Rlan

As much as I'd love to get a new golf game to compliment Wii Sports Golf [The most played of the Wii Sports at my house], wouldn't it be better to wait for Tiger Woods PGA Tour '08 which would come out by the end of the year?

Only 6 weeks to go for polish on this game :(

note to self: Don't you find it funny Matt did not write the hands on for Tiger Woods
"In completely unrelated news, IGN is looking for interns." (He is leaving IGN!)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Rlan said:
As much as I'd love to get a new golf game to compliment Wii Sports Golf [The most played of the Wii Sports at my house], wouldn't it be better to wait for Tiger Woods PGA Tour '08 which would come out by the end of the year?

And possibly online!

OT: Matt leaving IGN? OH NOES :p

In completely unrelated news, IGN is looking for interns.

Can't Believe they actually put that there. :lol

Slacker

soundwave05 said:

Why not have both? Heck, make the mini-golf version a VC game. I hope they are working on a Mario Golf for the Wii, because I'd really like to play a solid game of golf with the remote. It just has to have:

1) Online capabilities
2) Good controls
3) Character models that don't look like 10 year old nurses with giant funbags (sorry Super Swing Golf).

Smiles and Cries said:
note to self: Don't you find it funny Matt did not write the hands on for Tiger Woods "In completely unrelated news, IGN is looking for interns." (He is leaving IGN!)
Oh noes! How are we going to live without him, and more importantly, who is he?!?

I like the point about waiting for Tiger 08 but since I never played a Tiger Woods game I want to ge my feet wet with 07 wiimote

That's What She Said said:
Oh noes! How are we going to live without him, and more importantly, who is he?!?

Quiet, Matt is G.O.A.T.

Mason

justinbox.jpg

Open it up.....

It looks like shit in a box!

allarise

Graphics talk on the Wii is stupid and boring.

More interest should be payed to gameplay. If the controls are solid and more fine tuned to the controller (imagine a mode where the slightest twist of the controller can hook a shot) this could spell the end of my interest in dual-analog golf games.

allarise said:
Graphics talk on the Wii is stupid and boring.

More interest should be payed to gameplay. If the controls are solid and more fine tuned to the controller (imagine a mode where the slightest twist of the controller can hook a shot) this could spell the end of my interest in dual-analog golf games.

If the gameplay doesn't make Wii version that different an unique then the crappy graphics will be an issue.

And with a game like Tiger Woods being able to pull the wiimote back and forward doesn't really add anything to the game.Unless you actually stand up and hold the wiimote like a golf club, and take practice swings and get serious like a real golfer.

Oh wait you get to shake the controller to simulate spin!!!!! WHOO HOOO.

I'd rather wait for a golf game bulit from the ground up for Wii, not some PS2 port with simple wiimote controls.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
VOOK said:
And possibly online!

OT: Matt leaving IGN? OH NOES :p

Can't Believe they actually put that there. :lol

Put that where? I don't see it in the article. And what other clue is there that Matt is leaving?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
mysticstylez said:
If the gameplay doesn't make Wii version that different an unique then the crappy graphics will be an issue.

And with a game like Tiger Woods being able to pull the wiimote back and forward doesn't really add anything to the game.Unless you actually stand up and hold the wiimote like a golf club, and take practice swings and get serious like a real golfer.

Oh wait you get to shake the controller to simulate spin!!!!! WHOO HOOO.

I'd rather wait for a golf game bulit from the ground up for Wii, not some PS2 port with simple wiimote controls.
932128_20061214_screen005.jpg
?

My 5 cents

I couldn't tell whether those impressions were bad or good?

Mario Golf 64 had mini-golf and it was awesome, but there is no reason they can't do both.

I'm solely convinced that for any wii game to have presentable graphics it needs be built from the ground-up.....not a multi-platform PS2 port.

I would honestly be happy with Wii sports with more courses and modes.

mysticstylez said:
Unless you actually stand up and hold the wiimote like a golf club, and take practice swings and get serious like a real golfer.

Thats actually exactly how I want to play. And its the reason Gametrak and In2Games' golf game actually saw decent sales before Wii Sports came along..

Pud

Banned
MysticStyles, you likely have no understanding of what exactly the Wii is about, do you?

I think the Interns thing was a joke (in relation to carrying golf clubs) and I doubt Matt is disgruntled enough to leave IGN, anyway.

E-phonk

Banned
truth-lasers said:
Wait, "Camelot gone", what what what?
Camelot is not "gone" persé (they have a wii game announced) - but they did a press release last year that they would focus on a new online PC game (I love golf?)

Officially they are still a nintendo partner.

fresquito

The putt system looks horrible (in the same vein of Super Swing Golf). Why can't they properly model the green, it's done in Wii Sports and the last Mario Golf too.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
fresquito said:
The putt system looks horrible (in the same vein of Super Swing Golf). Why can't they properly model the green, it's done in Wii Sports and the last Mario Golf too.

Because they aren't as awesome as Nintendo.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
fresquito said:

Wii Sports' Golf if the best golf game ever made. If there were more holes and more courses, and with and RPG system a la Mario Golf GBA.... the game would be GOD.

Model 500

Definitely looking forward to getting this, I hope they include interesting difficulty options. I expect this to turn out great.

fresquito

AlternativeUlster said:
Because they aren't as awesome as Nintendo.
My sarcasm detector bipped :-/

I thought the game was realistic? A realistic modeling as opposed to some odd grid would greatly benefit the game.

jonezer4

Sounds like putting is a pain the arse, just like Wii Sports Golf, due to the oft-discussed problem with the Wii not being ideal at tracking the necessary, sublte translations inherent to putting. This begs the question, "If the game were designed so that you putted with the IR camera facing the sensor bar, (not with the camera facing down as you naturally would) would it allow for better, more responsive and realistic putting?"

I think the answer is yes. Maybe they could make a mirror periph that you could attach to the front of the controller that would enable the IR lights to be seen, while holding the controller down, thus allowing the Wii to know exactly what's going on in the Z direction. Sounds admittedly ridiculous, but I think it's a viable solution.

dyls

Something interesting from the IGN interview.

IGN Wii: Have you explored an online mode?

Rich Rogers: Unfortunately, the online component for the Wii was released very late for our development so there is no online mode in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 07 for the Wii.

It's not clear whether he means the online component for connect24 or actual competitive play, but if it's the latter I believe this is the first confirmation that online tools have been given to developers.

Linkup

dyls said:
It's not clear whether he means the online component for connect24 or actual competitive play, but if it's the latter I believe this is the first confirmation that online tools have been given to developers.

The Farcry:V interview had the same thing. They probably didn't get it until after they had already plan out what they wanted to do or EA isn't going to putting online in wii games.

Pellham

Banned
tanasten said:
Wii Sports' Golf if the best golf game ever made. If there were more holes and more courses, and with and RPG system a la Mario Golf GBA.... the game would be GOD.

I dunno, it kinda bugs me that I can get away with simple wrist flicks instead of actual golf swings in Wii Golf...

jonezer4

dyls said:
Something interesting from the IGN interview.

If he's referring to WiiConnect24, then he's a damned dirty liar (which very well may be the case), because 3rd parties had that implemented for lauch titles (Elebits), EA could have easily had that working for a March release.

With that Pokemon game on the horizon, I imagine he may well be referring to actual online.

I'm still skeptical, however, that online will work well for a long time to come. Every indication, from having to wait 12 hours to receive a friend confirmation, to weather being a day behind, to first impressions of that Pokemon game, points to Wii Online being extremely slow and not user-friendly.

Model 500

jonezer4 said:
Sounds like putting is a pain the arse, just like Wii Sports Golf, due to the oft-discussed problem with the Wii not being ideal at tracking the necessary, sublte translations inherent to putting.

Except that there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting in Wii Sports Golf, it works great. Also, the Wiimote has no problems in reading subtle movements, where on earth have you got info like that? Care to be a bit more specific with your problems?

Top Bottom