• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney on the Tech Demo: "Nanite and Lumen tech powering it will be fully supported on both PS5 and Xbox Series X and will be awesome on both."

And I guess when the character shot towards the portal at a million miles an hour, she had to stop several times to walk through cracks in the wall?

Ludicrous Speed go!!!!!!

ludicrous-speed-gif-3.gif

Jon Neu

Banned
No. Read past the headline and try again. (I believe you can do it)

"The squeeze served several purposes for us (close-in detail, animation, audio, demo flow), but we did have a tiny worry that folks would think it was necessary to hide loading. It wasn’t. :) "

Reference:

You don’t even read the quotes you post.

Again: “Epic insists”.

geordiemp

You are by far the most impressed by it. It has been like the second coming of Christ for the Knackrens.

And your on GAF posting against it.

If it was not so impressive why so many warriors come out to fight ?

They know whats up thats why...

The water sucked in that demo, it looked like she was shuffling through transparent carpet.

Love that GIF, any excuse to use it

Last edited:

sendit

You don’t even read the quotes you post.

Again: “Epic insists”.

Deny the reasoning given by the technical director of the engine. Remind me again what reason he has to lie as this demo was also targeted towards developers (Not just Sony developers)?

crossposting, but relevant ere as Lumen and Nanite are specifically discussed in this vid

2:55 and on

Basically says that he thinks PCs need to start becoming standard/common on PCs or PCs will need to start having more RAM to compensate. At least that is how I understood it

Talks about the chinese dev laptop situation

9:24

speculates that theoretically Lumen would run better on XsX due to GPU

9:50

says Nanite will probably work better on PS5 due to SSD

Letmeseethereciepts.gif

I think anybody that says that certain parts of the demo will run better or worse in specific consoles is just pure horseshit. We dont know nothing unless we see an actual demo of something running in real time comparable side by side. And I know I am contradicting myself from my other post, but I am sticking to what I said on that as well.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
And your on GAF posting against it.

Shit, I forgot you can’t go against the narrative.

I wish the demo wowed me as much as the Sony side, because this is a multiplatform engine.

But no, for being the first showing of next gen gameplay, I wasn’t impressed.

If it was not so impressive why so many warriors come out to fight ?

It’s the only gameplay of next-gen we have.

Well, that and Godfall, but that’s total crap.

Jayjayhd34

I know langues can mistranslated but never seen something completely worded differently I must of seen dozens complete translation that completely diffrent.....

Last edited:

I wish the demo wowed me as much as the Sony side, because this is a multiplatform engine.

Well the third-party game reveal from MSFT recently was totally awful. Nothing about it screamed next gen. We have to wait and see this upcoming summer for full reveal for both consoles.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Yup its all we have, and teh purpose was to show real time CGI quality landscape and scenery detail that is interactive and illumination. It succeeded.

The thing is, nothing looks better than the UE5 demo on that scale. Nothing comes close / yet.

I never got a response from the mods if I could post the link in here with the video, or actual Chinese people translating it. You can find them on reeeee era, beyond 3d, and tgfcer. 1080p was mentioned as an example despite what, notorious FUD spreaders on here have stated. The laptop which ran the game, and the dev openly responded about the specs it had, and the performance it ran at. 1440p, same quality as demo, but in editor mode, which uses up more resources, and could run better if the demo was baked. Multiple translations all lead to this same exact conclusion, stated by multiple people.

I'm not sure why some people want others to believe this is only available or can only be done on one console. It's literally the biggest multiplatform engine. As matter a fact, some will be disappointed when the REAL technical leaks start pouring in.

Jon Neu

Banned
The thing is, nothing looks better than the UE5 demo on that scale. Nothing comes close / yet.

Lots of games are going to look better than that gameplay. And with a bigger scale, bigger scenarios that aren’t empty and actual enemies and NPC on them.

Well the third-party game reveal from MSFT recently was totally awful. Nothing about it screamed next gen. We have to wait and see this upcoming summer for full reveal for both consoles.

In fairness, every game shown except two (Scorn and The Medium) are cross-gen, but you’re right.

June event for Sony, July event for MS, afterward the picture should be a lot clearer (literally and figuratively)

What's that?

some little indie game for the XsX

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I never got a response from the mods if I could post the link in here with the video, or actual Chinese people translating it. You can find them on reeeee era, beyond 3d, and tgfcer. 1080p was mentioned as an example despite what, notorious FUD spreaders on here have stated. The laptop which ran the game, and the dev openly responded about the specs it had, and the performance it ran at. 1440p, same quality as demo, but in editor mode, which uses up more resources, and could run better if the demo was baked. Multiple translations all lead to this same exact conclusion, stated by multiple people.

I'm not sure why some people want others to believe this is only available or can only be done on one console. It's literally the biggest multiplatform engine. As matter a fact, some will be disappointed when the REAL technical leaks start pouring in.

Because by spreading fud no one knows who to believe. I like all platforms all I wants is facts. So right now I've got no idea who to believe......

Taking video down however is Wierd especially if its demonstration of a demonstration.

I think it can totally be done one Xbox Series X, PC, at full 4k at 30fps with raytracing and other improved aspects of the graphics INCLUDING LODs and billions of triangles.

Last edited:
In fairness, every game shown except two (Scorn and The Medium) are cross-gen, but you’re right.

June event for Sony, July event for MS, afterward the picture should be a lot clearer (literally and figuratively)

You are right, that did look a little next gen. But apparently we dont care about game reveals, we care about tech demos.

All that shit talking by you yesterday, and it was just a video running on the labtop.

tenor.gif
Too bad it was confirmed to be running on 2 computers now. The video presentation had the ps5 footage, and were discussing it to the public. A user asked the devs about performance, which get replied the game running better than 40fps, in editor mode, which uses up more resources. It would perform even better if it were cooked.

Too early to celebrate, when the facts are out there though to disprove the doubters.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Hehe, we will have to agree to disagree here ;).
Only for the time being, they should be out this year hopefully. The XBSX has nothing to prove to most in this forum as we (me included) think 1800p v 4k in most cases etc. Its the Ps5 that has everything to prove regarding performance that's just not faster loading times.

geordiemp

Because if you read beyond3d the translation does not say that. From B3D Patsu

They took the bilibili video down. So I can’t confirm anymore.

That moment was pretty quick. I remember he said “Our target for nextgen consoles is 60fps but we haven’t achieved it yet. [Blah blah, facing screen] I guarantee we can achieve ... “.

Stopped abruptly, looked around, lifted his laptop with screen facing sideway, and continued “In fact, our laptops already ran the last scene you saw at 40fps in editor mode with the assets not fully cooked”. [The demo was paused earlier at the scene where light shone down at the rocks at the beginning]

I don’t recall the camera zooming into his laptop screen (the angle was off). I wanted to see it too. The camera was fixed. If there’s any close up video, it could be from another segment of the show I haven’t watched, or from elsewhere.

At the end of the day, the laptop comment was supposed to be a note in support of 60fps on nextgen consoles (without specifying other settings). The video, if recorded there, may be played under a different context.

So yes that "part" of the demo at the start where light shone down through can run in editor mode at unknown quality and not fully cooked (completed / finished). Woopee. Does not cooked mean not loaded properly or lower resolution or something unfinished - who knows.

Not cooked means not ready to eat.....

Does this mean a laptop can run at same as Ps5 - does not say anything like that, thats FUD.

Will Unreal work on everything - Yes, will that Demo run on Ps4, Xb1, XSX, PC - yes. But at what detail we dont know,.

Last edited:

sendit

Too bad it was confirmed to be running on 2 computers now. The video presentation had the ps5 footage, and were discussing it to the public. A user asked the devs about performance, which get replied the game running better than 40fps, in editor mode, which uses up more resources. It would perform even better if it were cooked.

Too early to celebrate, when the facts are out there though to disprove the doubters.

What is your crusade about again? That a multi platform engine will support multi platforms?

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
Tim Sweeney :

PS5’s SSD and I/O Architecture is way more efficient than actual PC’s

''Systems integration and whole-system performance. Bringing in data from high-bandwidth storage into video memory in its native format with hardware decompression is very efficient. The software and hardware stack go to great lengths to minimize latency and maximize the bandwidth that's actually accessible by games.

Those PC numbers are theoretical and are from drive into kernel memory. From there, it's a slow and circuitous journey through software decompression to GPU driver swizzling into video memory where you can eventually use it. The PS5 path for this is several times more efficient. And then there's latency.

On PC, there's a lot of layering and overhead. Then you have the issue of getting compressed textures into video memory requires reading into RAM, software decompressing, then calling into a GPU driver to transfer and swizzle them, with numerous kernel transitions throughout.

Intel's work on non-volatile NVDIMMs is very exciting and may get PC data transfer on a better track over the coming years.''

Because if you read beyond3d the translation does not say that. From B3D Patsu

So yes that "part" of the demo at the start where light shone down through can run in editor mode at unknown quality and not fully cooked (completed / finished). Woopee. Does not cooked mean not loaded properly - who knows.

Does this mean a laptop can run at same as Ps5 - does not say anything like that, thats FUD.

Will Unreal work on everything - Yes, will that Demo run on Ps4, Xb1, XSX, PC - yes. But at what detail we dont know,.
There are like 3 different translations in there. Go straight to the source. There are great translations, by several native Chinese ppl on one of the sites I mentioned, with actuatual translations.
What is your crusade about again? That a multi platform engine will support multi platforms?

No crusade, just putting the facts out there. No harm done, no one was hurt. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

Last edited:

FireFly

A mile full of desert and empty ruins with zero enemies and a super scripted portion of gameplay. And a long cutscene happens just before that part, by the way.

And the slow crack through happens just before the game goes into the open part of the cave and just before you enter the room of statues. Too much of a coincidence.
Right, but there were no visible loading points from there until the opening of the door to outside. If we're talking about ~100 GB of assets as people have estimated, then with only 16 GB of RAM, there should be loading points throughout. That makes me think that if there are loading points, they are short enough to be disguised by transitions from room to room, and we don't need multiple seconds of walking along a wall.

geordiemp

It's basically what the guy said in his video. More or less said that XsX's GPU can get more out of Lumen and PS5's SSD gets more out of Nanite

Seems reasonable, right?

Yes that is true, XSX might make up time on Lumen that it looses on Nanite, or you can say that either way....swings and roundabouts.

I am sure both consoles will have strengths and weakneses.

How much remains to be seen, problem is we have seen no XSX gameplay yet really to compare anything, just trailers for now.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Right, but there were no visible loading points from there until the opening of the door to outside. If we're talking about ~100 GB of assets as people have estimated, then with only 16 GB of RAM, there should be loading points throughout. That makes me think that if there are loading points, they are short enough to be disguised by transitions from room to room, and we don't need multiple seconds of walking along a wall.

The narrow gap was to show the close up of the hands on the wall, the light through fingers, the reddish hue on the hands due to light from the wall as a close up. Watch the frostbite developer walkthrough of UE5 commentry and you will understand. what was shown here and why.

Last edited:

pyrocro

This range is wrong.

The 2K term comes from DCI 2K, a cinema standard resolution (2048x1080 and its variants) set by the major motion picture studios, not by a random tech website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

That resolution and its variants have in common that their horizontal resolution is pretty close to 2K pixels. One of the 2K resolutions of the 2K cinema standard is 1998x1080, so your 2000-2999 range is wrong.

Even if doesn't exactly match these resolutions, some TVs and displays are sometimes informally called 2K because have a pretty similar horizontal resolution of also almost 2K: the 1920x1080 ones, more commonly known as the official, more or less standard names of 1080p, Full HD or HD 1080.

Same goes for 4K. The cinema standard and TV/home displays don't use exactly the same resolutions but they have in common that their horizontal resolution is about 4K pixels.

This means that a resolution with an horizontal resoluiton of 2999 pixels or something close would be consided 3K and not 2K. Because it's close to 3000. But there isn't a 3K standard because there isn't a common resolution close to 3000 pixels of horizontal resolution.

And yes, the 16:9 1440p displays (2560 × 1440 pixels) are referred as Quad HD, QHD or WQHD (Wide Quad High Definition). The name comes because it's 4 times the resolution of HD, 720p. Only the 4:3 1440p displays would be '2K' (1920 × 1440 pixels).
Which means there are no 2k monitors, happy now. :)
unless you ask for a 2k monitor and get a ~1440p monitor.

Check my last post for the point of this.
click the arrow up there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The XBSX has nothing to prove to most in this forum as we (me included) think 1800p v 4k in most cases etc. Its the Ps5 that has everything to prove

Oh I figured it has nothing to prove to you out already. Not sure about the claim that it is the same for “most” or why one has everything to prove and the other has nothing to prove beyond console partisanship though.

ethomaz

Banned
from one of the translators:

"His translation is accurate. The entire activity was quite focused on cross platform development even though the demo ran on PS5. When he mentioned he doesn’t need fast SSD, he was referring to the demo, and used 2K display, 2 triangles per pixel as example. He also acknowledged that they rely on fast I/O for large game world streaming. Overlapped IO (since UE 4.25 ?), compression, and better disk layout are other tools he uses to help in streaming.​
And as I posted several times now, he did not state any resolution, effects, or any other settings when he said their laptops ran the opening scene at 40fps in the editor (assets not fully “cooked”). He used the 40fps laptop example in the context of reinforcing he can/will hit 60fps for the nextgen consoles.​
People are getting too negative about the event. The engineers were all positive about their achievements and what they can do. After the event, I have assumed that he can hit 60fps for nextgen consoles (albeit at unknown resolution). Also looking forward to see a live example of world streaming in a game.​
EDIT:​
And to Epic Shanghai, the event was tedious to watch. I understand that celebration is in order, but there’s too much eating, off topic small talks, cross talk, and unfocused remarks in the show. A geek like me would have watched the presentation back-to-back multiple times. But so far, I gave up every time after about 10 minutes. It’s too difficult to get into. "​

You know what i see when i searched 2k display on newegg? 1440p monitors.
So 1080p and downgraded to run with lower SSD speeds than PS5 like I suspected.

Jon Neu

Banned
Tim Sweeney :

PS5’s SSD and I/O Architecture is way more efficient than actual PC’s

''Systems integration and whole-system performance. Bringing in data from high-bandwidth storage into video memory in its native format with hardware decompression is very efficient. The software and hardware stack go to great lengths to minimize latency and maximize the bandwidth that's actually accessible by games.

Those PC numbers are theoretical and are from drive into kernel memory. From there, it's a slow and circuitous journey through software decompression to GPU driver swizzling into video memory where you can eventually use it. The PS5 path for this is several times more efficient. And then there's latency.

On PC, there's a lot of layering and overhead. Then you have the issue of getting compressed textures into video memory requires reading into RAM, software decompressing, then calling into a GPU driver to transfer and swizzle them, with numerous kernel transitions throughout.

Intel's work on non-volatile NVDIMMs is very exciting and may get PC data transfer on a better track over the coming years.''

Perfomance > Efficiency

ethomaz

Banned
Why are you conflating your own wants, to what numerous translators, have already confirmed? 1440p resolution, running the same exact assets, but at higher performance. It's not surprising being that it costs more. Not sure why you are surprised by the facts?
Again no translation said 1440p because that was not said one single time in the video.

The only part he talks about resolution is how in 1080p, 1-2 triangles per pixel, compression you don’t need a faster SSD like PS5.

At least you accepted half of it.
The example he gives is 1080p, 1-2 triangles per pixel, vortex compression... so you don’t need high speed SSD like PS5.

Said that he never said his notebook ran the demo at 1440p... he actually didn’t share the specs he run on his notebook.
That is the bullshit the Reddit tried to spread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom