• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney on the Tech Demo: "Nanite and Lumen tech powering it will be fully supported on both PS5 and Xbox Series X and will be awesome on both."

Exodia

Banned
Except they didn't translate the exact same thing? I saw different translations everywhere. The part where it was running at 1440p was taken out of context more likely, and I'm finding it hard to believe these random chinese people should be taken seriously at all. In the video you clearly could see the .mp4 so Sweeney isn't wrong. The whole thing is looking extremely confusing, all the individual translations are out of context, and its extremely unlikely a notebook with a 2070 level GPU can run that demo that well. Also there are translations on Resetera that directly contradicts what you are saying, so who is seeing what they want to see?

Huh what are you talking about?

• 53:00, he said his laptop could run the tech demo at 40fps in editor and that optimization target is 60fps for next-gen.
  • 2:06:30, another engineer says that for example at 2k you can do it with just MB/s..etc

That's over 1 hour apart. Did you even watch the video? Did you see who said what and that they were different peope? Did you run the audio through google translate app? Its not confusing. You are just making up whatever fits your narrative.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Except they didn't translate the exact same thing? I saw different translations everywhere. The part where it was running at 1440p was taken out of context more likely, and I'm finding it hard to believe these random chinese people should be taken seriously at all. In the video you clearly could see the .mp4 so Sweeney isn't wrong. The whole thing is looking extremely confusing, all the individual translations are out of context, and its extremely unlikely a notebook with a 2070 level GPU can run that demo that well. Also there are translations on Resetera that directly contradicts what you are saying, so who is seeing what they want to see?
Tim comment is probably based in what he saw because he can’t understand the video (language).

But you are right... the video never said any time 1440p... and he mention 1080p (2k) with 1-2 triangles per pixel to show how the tech scale for different bandwidth requirements.

Last edited:

pyrocro

He never said 1440p it the video.
He talks about 1080p (2k) as example (plus 2 triangles per pixels and some others downgrades) at the end to run at bandwidth IO/SSD not as high as PS5.

So one is made up for sure.

This guy on ERA did a resume or the situation:

“I think that’s simply a case of crossed wires over running a mp4 of the demo vs talking about how the tech runs on a laptop. In the technical detail, nothing Sweeney or this Q+A reportedly revealed contradict each other. What that Q+A just more explicitly confirms is that Nanite can dynamically scale triangle fidelity according to your data access. 1080p/2tris per pixel should indeed be in the realm of MB/s rather than GB/s. Sweeney already said this will scale down, it just won’t look as good. In saying ‘this needs MB/s, not GB/s’, I don’t think this engineer is at all claiming you’ll get the same fidelity on MB/s. Simply that the tech can scale it down to that level.”
where is this mythical 2k panel that you speak of?
1440p is widely referred to as 2k.

He is guessing or have actual info?
Why don't you read the post?

Because the Epic creator of the tech said they created Nanite with game size in mind so it won’t be something drastic difference.
This does not necessarily mean that what they did in this demo could feasibly be extended to an entire game. I don't think their goal was to create something games would rely on for absolutely everything, all of the time. The most likely outcome is probably that developers will use it for some assets, but not others.

pyrocro

2k is 1080p in 16:9.
The actual 2k resolution is 2048 x 1080.

1440p is 2.5k... 2560 x 1440.
no 2k is 1440p just go on newegg or amazon and do search for 2k monitor, common sense
or
go here https://www.tomshardware.com/news/2k-definition,37641.html

or please find this mythical 2048 x 1080 monitor/panel in use that devs just have to mean 2048 x 1080. when they say 2k

do we say 3.8k for 3840x2160?
you have the worst case of confirmation bias I have seen.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
no 2k is 1440p just go on newegg or amazon and do search for 2k monitor, common sense
or
go here https://www.tomshardware.com/news/2k-definition,37641.html

or please find this mythical 2048 x 1080 monitor/panel in use that devs just have to mean 2048 x 1080. when they say 2k

do we say 3.8k for 3840x2160?
you have the worst case of confirmation bias I have seen.
4k is actually 4096 x 2160.
3840 x 2160 is 4k in 16:9 format.

2k is 2048 x 1080
1920 x 1080 is 2k in 16:9 format

You own link...

“Standard DCI 2K resolution as 2048 x 1080 pixels”

“More often you’ll find 2K displays as having a of 2560 x 1440 resolution. However, that resolution is officially considered Quad HD (QHD).”

2560 x 1440 is not 2k... that doesn’t mean manufactures won’t uses it as a marketing tool lol

Bias has nothing to do with actual facts.

Last edited:

pyrocro

4k is actually 4096 x 2160.
3840 x 2160 is 4k in 16:9 format.

2k is 2048 x 1080
1920 x 1080 is 2k in 16:9 format

You own link...

“Standard DCI 2K resolution as 2048 x 1080 pixels”

More often you’ll find 2K displays as having a of 2560 x 1440 resolution. However, that resolution is officially considered Quad HD (QHD).”

2560 x 1440 is not 2k... that doesn’t mean manufacture uses as a marketing tool lol
I'll do you one better in your own post.(I put it bold for you)
HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN 2048x1080p in a game option menu or an OpenGL or directx resolution query
when people say 2k they are talking about 1440p.
2K2560 x 1440 (typical monitor resolution); 2048 x 1080 (official cinema resolution)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I'll do you one better in your own post.(I put it bold for you)
when people say 2k they are talking about 1440p.
Maybe in your group I don’t know.
I work with software programming and 2k was always 2048 x 1080 or 1920 x 1080 in 16:9.

2k resolutions
2048 x 1080
1920 x 1080 (16:9)

4k resolutions
4096 x 2160
3840 x 2160 (16:9)

In any case the guy was talking about 1080p in that part.
1440p was never even talked in the video... it was a fabrication.

Last edited:

pyrocro

Maybe in your group I don’t know.
I work with software programming and 2k was always 2048 x 1080 or 1920 x 1080 in 16:9.

2k resolutions
2048 x 1080
1920 x 1080 (16:9)

4k resolutions
4096 x 2160
3840 x 2160 (16:9)

In any case the guy was talking about 1080p in that part.
1440p was never even talked in the video... it was a fabrication.
are you shaking your head from side to side rapidly in the face of reality?
2k = 1440p

The Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI), a group of motion picture studios that creates standards for digital cinema, defines Standard DCI 2K resolution as 2048 x 1080 pixels. But when buying a PC monitor or choosing a laptop, you'll rarely see this resolution. More often you’ll find 2K displays as having a of 2560 x 1440 resolution. However, that resolution is officially considered Quad HD (QHD). As such, many monitors and laptops claim their resolution as 2K/QHD.

Like I said where is this mythical TV/monitor/panel that is 2048x1080. lol this is too funny.

since 2k = 1440p the translation you referenced is talking about 1440p.

sorry bro, don't let it get to you.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
2k = 1440p

The Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI), a group of motion picture studios that creates standards for digital cinema, defines Standard DCI 2K resolution as 2048 x 1080 pixels. But when buying a PC monitor or choosing a laptop, you'll rarely see this resolution. More often you’ll find 2K displays as having a of 2560 x 1440 resolution. However, that resolution is officially considered Quad HD (QHD). As such, many monitors and laptops claim their resolution as 2K/QHD.

Like I said where is this mythical TV/monitor/panel that is 2048x1080. lol this is too funny.

Your link confirms what I said.

1440p is not 2k.

The Epic China guy talked about 1080p example at that part.
He never said anything about 1440p in the video... it was a fabrication.
You can look for any translation you want.

Last edited:

pyrocro

Your link confirms what I said.

1440p is not 2k.

The Epic China guy talked about 1080p example at that part:
He never said anything about 1440p in the video... it was a fabrication.
You can look for any translation you want.
No it does not

2k = 1440p
Monitor marketing department know.
users know it
it's only you who will hear 2k and say it's 1080p.
only you lol.
PLEASE find this panel that is 2048x1080p Please prove me wrong.

all you are doing is wrapping your falsehoods with random facts.(bolded it again for you to remember)
for example.
You watch around 2:08:00.
2048 x 1080 is widely referred as 2k.

False.

1440p is referred as Quad HD if you want to be accurate.

why dude why?

Like I said everyone is seeing your obvious confirmation bias argument here.

you want when people say 2k for it to be equal to 1080p but it just is not the case.
when some says give me a 2k monitor they mean 1440p.

it's not a big thing to be wrong, but YOU want to get to say it's 1080p. so you can't admit you were wrong here.
jeeez man, it's all good we are not going to take away your I'm a real person card.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm finding it hard to believe these random chinese people should be taken seriously at all.

They are not "random chinese people".. Unless I've missed something he appears to be a lead software engineer at Epic China.

According to those who claim to speak native Chinese and have watched the stream this was a 130 minute Epic China panel talk where this engineer at one moment was asked a question, and he just answered. The video on the laptop was apparently not set up for his specific answer.

Edit: Yeah I skimmed through the video and it looked like an official Epic panel with several Epic officials, and they appeared to only play the video as background material for the general talk.

ZOiRkrp.png

Disclaimer: I don't speak Chinese, thus I am as vulnerable to disingenuous "translations" as anyone else..

Last edited:

pyrocro

They are not "random chinese people".. Unless I've missed something he appears to be a lead software engineer at Epic China.

According to those who claim to speak native Chinese and have watched the stream this was a 130 minute Epic China panel talk where this engineer at one moment was asked a question, and he just answered. The video on the laptop was apparently not set up for his specific answer.
If you know Chinese can you please confirm what is said.
at
52:57
126:53

yurinka

No it does not

2k = 1440p
users know it
only you lol.

all you are doing is wrapping your falsehoods with random facts.(bolded it again for you to remember)
for example.

why dude why?

you want when people say 2k for it to be equal to 1080p but it just is not the case.

it's not a big thing to be wrong, but YOU want to get to say it's 1080p. so you can't admit you were wrong here.
jeeez man, it's all good we are not going to take away your I'm a real person card.
2K are resolutions that have an horizontally the resolution of aprox. 2000 pixels. Same goes with 4K is for 4000 pixels and 8K for 8000 pixels.
1080p (1920x1080, the 16:9 one) for many is considered 2K. 1440p in 16:9 is 2560 × 1440 pixels instead, so it wouldn't qualify for 2K.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
2k = 1440p

Uhhhh what? The stuff you cited says 2K is 2048 X 1080. That is the DCI standard
1440p or 2560 X 1440 is QHD

The reason why you see 1440p (QHD) monitors or displays being marketed as 2K is purely because of marketing. The idea is to make it seem like it is half the resolution of 4K based on the width. 2 is half of 4.

Xbox fans upset about this talking about PS5 and not Xbox Series X have to realize how this would have played out in reverse.

For months now, many have been painting the Series X as the all-powerful machine and the PS5 as being super weak, barely counting as a new gen. 12 TF was called godlike and 10.2 was called pathetic and weak.

So if this had been demoed on Series X, you can bet people would be saying it couldn't possibly be done on the "weak" PS5.

This proves the hardware will likely be very comparable - both being huge leaps forward with slight different strengths and weaknesses. It will come down to the games, as always.

Why would Xbox fans be upset? Xbox Series X will be the most powerful console on the market with Performance and graphics.

Edit: Yeah I skimmed through the video and it looked like an official Epic panel with several Epic officials, and they appeared to only play the video as background material for the general talk.

ZOiRkrp.png

Disclaimer: I don't speak Chinese, thus I am as vulnerable to disingenuous "translations" as anyone else..

EYNEb3HWkAE5OX2

What's this about then?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Why would Xbox fans be upset? Xbox Series X will be the most powerful console on the market with Performance and graphics.

Unless you're working for Microsoft and promoting the Xbox Series X, you're going to have to hold that thought and wait for the games to come. Once they are out and you're right, then you can claim that. Otherwise if the games come out and they don't support what you said, what will you do? Claim lazy devs? Sony money hat for parity?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
D
The xsx has about 44% more CUs running around 20% slower than the PS5s.

That is less of a difference than the the PS4 had over x1 last gen where the PS4 had 50% more CUs running about 7% slower.

If you want to compare teraflops, the PS4 had a 40% advantage over the xb1.

That power advantage got the PS4 one step extra resolution over xb1 multiplats - 1080 games ran at 900 on xb1. FPS was the same.

This coming gen with less of a power difference there won’t be a FPS or resolution difference between PS5 and Xsex - at least not one worth talking about by any rational person.
Hypothetical i know but. Do you think there would be much difference between 10.28TF Ps5 and let's say the XBSX was 8.405 TF and they were both using the old GCN architecture ?

ethomaz

Banned
No it does not

2k = 1440p
users know it
only you lol.

for example.

why dude why?

I can’t even believe somebody in this forum will try to make 1440p be called 2k resolution lol

My bias has nothing to do with that.

1440p is QHD.
2k is 2048x1080 or 1920x1080 in 16:9.

BTW the discussion is about 1440p that was never ever talked in the video lol
Stop to made up the guy run the demo at 1440p.
We don’t know which resolution he ran it.

The only resolution part is when he says if you lower to 2k, 2 triangles per pixel, etc you can run without need high IO/SSD like PS5... it can run at MB/s that way.

Last edited:

ChrisB

Yes but the RDNA2 is more per efficient per flop or however they call it so it more than makes up for it .Could be around 4 TF difference in old money.
They both use the same standard so using ratios/percentages dont make sense from that stand point.

Do the same multiplicator (what was it 1.5?) for both of them and see that the percentage disparity shrinks even more.

Exodia

Banned
I can’t even believe somebody in this forum will try to make 1440p be called 2k resolution lol

1440p is QHD.

The only resolution part is when he says if you lower to 2k, 2 triangles per pixel, etc you can run without need high IO/SSD like PS5... it can run at MB/s that way.

Will you come back here and repent and publicly acknowledge you were wrong when PC benchmarks this exact demo better than PS5 when Epic releases it March next year?
Or even in August during GDC if they man up and diverge more info?

pyrocro

2K are resolutions that have an horizontally the resolution of aprox. 2000 pixels. Same goes with 4K is for 4000 pixels and 8K for 8000 pixels.
1080p (1920x1080, the 16:9 one) for many is considered 2K. 1440p in 16:9 is 2560 × 1440 pixels instead, so it wouldn't qualify for 2K.
Uhhhh what? The stuff you cited says 2K is 2048 X 1080. That is the DCI standard

The reason why you see 1440p (QHD) monitors or displays being marketed as 2K is purely because of marketing. The idea is to make it seem like it is half the resolution of 4K based on the width. 2 is half of 4.

First paragraph.
" A monitor or display is considered 2K if its width falls in the 2,000-pixels range. "
range meaning 2000-2999

The most common 2k monitor is a 1440p monitor. get it?

watch table in the link
Common Monitor Resolutions

5K5120 x 2880
4K3840 x 2160 (typical monitor resolution); 4096 x 2160 (official cinema resolution)
Ultra HD (UHD)3840 x 2160
QHD aka WQHD aka 1440p2560 x 1440
2K2560 x 1440 (typical monitor resolution); 2048 x 1080 (official cinema resolution)
WUXGA 1920 x 1200
Full HD (FHD) aka 1080p aka HD1920 x 1080
HD aka 720p1280 x 720

If you can find a 2048x1080 monitor or even in a game menu hats of to you since they don't really exist.

search amazon and new egg for a 2k monitor? only 1440p monitors come up.
There are no monitors described as 2k with 2048x1080.

what ethomaz ethomaz is doing is picking the absolute lowest resolution and saying it the most common one, when you can't find any monitors at 2048 resolution.

no one knows of this resolution no one uses it, why in holy hell when someone says 2k in a conversation would it mean 2048x1080p

again 2k is a range.

it should be pretty clear there I hope you guys get it.

ethomaz

Banned
To add.

Why he says at 2k, 1-2 triangles per pixels, compressed vortex, etc it can run the demo with lower speed bandwidth?

That simple math.

PS5 demo
2560x1440 = ~3.6m pixels
~20m triangles
Avg. of ~5.5 triangles per pixel

1920x1080 = ~2m pixels
1 triangle per pixels give you ~2m triangles
2 triangles per pixels give you ~4m triangles

Let’s forget the vortex compression and compare them you will see that:

1080p 1tri/pixel need 10x less HDD/SSD bandwidth than PS5 demo
1080p 2tri/pixel need 5x less HDD/SSD bandwidth than PS5 demo

In simple terms:

If PS5 demo used 3GB/s
1080p 1tri/pixels needs 300MB/s
1080p 2tri/pixels needs 600MB/s

If PS5 demo used 5GB/s
1080p 1tri/pixels needs 500MB/s
1080p 2tri/pixels needs 1GB/s

Better resolution and/or more triangles per pixels increases the bandwidth requirements for Nanite.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Will you come back here and repent and publicly acknowledge you were wrong when PC benchmarks this exact demo better than PS5 when Epic releases it March next year?
Or even in August during GDC if they man up and diverge more info?
With the same resolution and level of detail? Yes... and that with Epic even improving the tech until there.

But what that has to do with the lies being spread about 2k being 1440p or the demo running at 1440p by Epic China?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
First paragraph.
" A monitor or display is considered 2K if its width falls in the 2,000-pixels range. "
range meaning 2000-2999

The most common 2k monitor is a 1440p monitor. get it?

watch table in the link
Common Monitor Resolutions

5K5120 x 2880
4K3840 x 2160 (typical monitor resolution); 4096 x 2160 (official cinema resolution)
Ultra HD (UHD)3840 x 2160
QHD aka WQHD aka 1440p2560 x 1440
WUXGA 1920 x 1200
Full HD (FHD) aka 1080p aka HD1920 x 1080
HD aka 720p1280 x 720

If you can find a 2048x1080 monitor or even in a game menu hats of to you since they don't really exist.

search amazon and new egg for a 2k monitor? only 1440p monitors come up.
There are no monitors described as 2k with 2048x1080.

what ethomaz ethomaz is doing is picking the absolute lowest resolution and saying it the most common one, when you can't find any monitors at 2048 resolution.

no one knows of this resolution no one uses it, why in holy hell when someone says 2k in a conversation would it mean 2048x1080p

again 2k is a range.

BenQ one of the monitor manufacturing.

What is 2K QHD?
2K displays are those whose width falls in the 2,000-pixel range. More often than not, you’ll find 2K monitors with a display resolution of 2560x1440, that’s why it’s often shortened to 1440p. However, this resolution is officially considered Quad HD (QHD). As such, many monitors claim their resolution as 2K QHD.

ethomaz

Banned
Another point talked by Epic guys.

If you decrease the triangles per pixels (details/quality) the PS5 demo could run at 60fps... that hints the demo was near the up limit of SSD streaming for the quality they wanted.

To drop quality you can either drop resolution or number of triangles per pixel... or both.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Another point talked by Epic guys.

If you decrease the triangles per pixels (details/quality) the PS5 demo could run at 60fps.

Daniel Wright says it’s already running at 60fps at lower quality. But I think he’s talking about lumen and not nanite, although he doesn’t specify.

There’s a lot we don’t know yet.

Last edited:

pyrocro

BenQ one of the monitor manufacturing.

What is 2K QHD?
2K displays are those whose width falls in the 2,000-pixel range. More often than not, you’ll find 2K monitors with a display resolution of 2560x1440, that’s why it’s often shortened to 1440p. However, this resolution is officially considered Quad HD (QHD). As such, many monitors claim their resolution as 2K QHD.

The 1st line, do I need to draw a ven diagram showing 1440p falls under 2k for you to understand.
No one has a 2048x1080p monitor.
you insist that anyone saying 2k means 2048x1080p LOL.
What a ridiculous thing to say.

You watch around 2:08:00.
2048 x 1080 is widely referred as 2k.

False.

1440p is referred as Quad HD if you want to be accurate.
Again 2k is a range 2000-2999.

ethomaz

Banned
Daniel Wright says it’s already running at 60fps at lower quality. But I think he’s talking about lumen and not nanite, although he doesn’t specify.

There’s a lot we don’t know yet.
If it is Lumen then the GPU workload needs to be dropped to reach 60fps.
That means the quality he is talking about is decrease the resolution or the level of graphics (effects, settings, etc).

He is pretty confident they can run that level of quality in 60fps at final version of the tech.

Even so that show to us that 4k resolution at that quality with Lumen is probably something neither PC with RTX 3000 will reach.

Last edited:

ToadMan

D
Hypothetical i know but. Do you think there would be much difference between 10.28TF Ps5 and let's say the XBSX was 8.405 TF and they were both using the old GCN architecture ?

No I don’t. No in a practical sense for multiplats anyway.

The reason there won’t be a difference for PS5 vs Xsex (and in your hypothetical scenario) is because developers will just build the game to run on the slowest hardware and dump that on the faster one.

The PS5 and Xsex are so close in terms of hardware and performance, the port from PS5 to Xsex will be straightforward, they’ll both have the same performance so the developers can say job done. The UE5 demo on PS5 wasn’t an accident - it was a portent of this future for multi-plat development.

Of course it also means multiplats won’t be able to make full use of the PS5 SSD access speeds - but developers will just accept that constraint for an easy port process.

If there was a big performance gain to be had, they may have given a bump to resolution or FPS as happened with the PS4 and 360 in their respective generations.

But the difference in power now isn’t enough for a whole resolution jump. It might get a few extra FPS if they put extra work in but that would be a waste of their time.

1st party is a different story of course. But the 1st party is exclusive so the comparison isn’t so easy.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
In the livestream, they were definitely using a controller at the timestamp. And he then mentioned how it can run on his laptop at 40 fps.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
No I don’t. No in a practical sense for multiplats anyway.

The reason there won’t be a difference for PS5 vs Xsex (and in your hypothetical scenario) is because developers will just build the game to run on the slowest hardware and dump that on the faster one.

The PS5 and Xsex are so close in terms of hardware and performance, the port from PS5 to Xsex will be straightforward, they’ll both have the same performance so the developers can say job done. The UE5 demo on PS5 wasn’t an accident - it was a portent of this future for multi-plat development.

Of course it also means multiplats won’t be able to make full use of the PS5 SSD access speeds - but developers will just accept that constraint for an easy port process.

If there was a big performance gain to be had, they may have given a bump to resolution or FPS as happened with the PS4 and 360 in their respective generations.

But the difference in power now isn’t enough for a whole resolution jump. It might get a few extra FPS if they put extra work in but that would be a waste of their time.

1st party is a different story of course. But the 1st party is exclusive so the comparison isn’t so easy.
Is there much difference between a 5700 and a 5700xt with the same cpu and what is the difference in TFs for them.
P.s I'm just speaking off the cuff here and not looked that up, but it could be interesting as a rough guide as in percentage difference in TF and compare performance in RDNA 1.
I know it will be a few settings here and there and rez boost for XBSX mainly.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
They both use the same standard so using ratios/percentages dont make sense from that stand point.

Do the same multiplicator (what was it 1.5?) for both of them and see that the percentage disparity shrinks even more.
People use percentage to play it down, but in the right hands those TF could make a big difference in performance. I would like it if PS5 was 12Tf as well and you can bet your last dollar most Sony fans would as well.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
All this bickering over a demo that was used for marketing purposes. This is just sorry af.

I mean I get it. In all honesty I expected this to happen with SOMETHING next gen related. We haven't really had that war moment of a game, feature, exclusive etc to have people fighting over.

But I am so surprised an engine demo that is a multi plat engine is what finally started these debates.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People use percentage to play it down, but in the right hands those TF could make a big difference in performance. I would like it if PS5 was 12Tf as well and you can bet your last dollar most Sony fans would as well.

Yes, if you took the existing PS5 and you increased memory bandwidth, kept GPU clocks the same, kept the same SSD solution, kept price the same as the one expected ($399-499) and added CU’s or increased frequency even further why not?

Now, if you had to give up on something it would be a big ask depending on the component you are talking about. Relative difference is what it is, not a way to play things down or up. It allows you to compare and get an understanding of what would need to get cut or lowered in quality (is it resolution with some denoising to help save the day? Who knows).

With that said, some Xbox first party games will make that difference sing super loud while others will make PS5’s architecture choices sing (custom audio and general purpose processor, custom HW accelerated SSD I/O pipeline, very high GPU clocks, geometry engine enhancements, etc...). If 18% is undersold, 200% or so is undersold even more...

SleepDoctor

Banned
I mean I get it. In all honesty I expected this to happen with SOMETHING next gen related. We haven't really had that war moment of a game, feature, exclusive etc to have people fighting over.

But I am so surprised an engine demo that is a multi plat engine is what finally started these debates.

You have fanboys pushing a narrative that a mulitiplatform engine can't run on anything other than a Ps5. Then the others start digging for anything.

Then apparently an epic dev says his laptop runs it better and Sweeney takes down the video. Its called marketing, nothing less nothing more. If it was the other way around, its "fake" or etc etc etc from the beginning.

Jayjayhd34

With the same resolution and level of detail? Yes... and that with Epic even improving the tech until there.

But what that has to do with the lies being spread about 2k being 1440p or the demo running at 1440p by Epic China?

It's not lies it's nonfactual however 2k within gaming community often referred to as 1440p why came about i have no idea.

Is there much difference between a 5700 and a 5700xt with the same cpu and what is the difference in TFs for them.
P.s I'm just speaking off the cuff here and not looked that up, but it could be interesting as a rough guide as in percentage difference in TF and compare performance in RDNA 1.
I know it will be a few settings here and there and rez boost for XBSX mainly.

There is simply no way to measure the performances of rdna2 till it's released into wild.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
<sigh>. That scene was to show the details available dynamically in the cave wall geometry and texture.

It was a design choice not a hardware limitation construct.

There are literally dozens of ways to show the cave wall geometry and textures without having the character to walk slowly through a crack.

Exodia

Banned

1440p is QHD.

from one of the translators:

"His translation is accurate. The entire activity was quite focused on cross platform development even though the demo ran on PS5. When he mentioned he doesn’t need fast SSD, he was referring to the demo, and used 2K display, 2 triangles per pixel as example. He also acknowledged that they rely on fast I/O for large game world streaming. Overlapped IO (since UE 4.25 ?), compression, and better disk layout are other tools he uses to help in streaming.​
And as I posted several times now, he did not state any resolution, effects, or any other settings when he said their laptops ran the opening scene at 40fps in the editor (assets not fully “cooked”). He used the 40fps laptop example in the context of reinforcing he can/will hit 60fps for the nextgen consoles.​
People are getting too negative about the event. The engineers were all positive about their achievements and what they can do. After the event, I have assumed that he can hit 60fps for nextgen consoles (albeit at unknown resolution). Also looking forward to see a live example of world streaming in a game.​
EDIT:​
And to Epic Shanghai, the event was tedious to watch. I understand that celebration is in order, but there’s too much eating, off topic small talks, cross talk, and unfocused remarks in the show. A geek like me would have watched the presentation back-to-back multiple times. But so far, I gave up every time after about 10 minutes. It’s too difficult to get into. "​

You know what i see when i searched 2k display on newegg? 1440p monitors.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
First paragraph.
range meaning 2000-2999

Yea that was my point. Marketing, the official standard is known, display makers market their monitors how they want.
From that same link.
You will seldom see a monitor marketed as 2K by itself. It will always be accompanied by 2K/QHD or you will see 2K and a resolution. It is marketing.

4K is = 4096 x 2160 the 4K refers to the width, the horizontal resolution.

QHD = 2560 x 1440 the horizontal resolution is greater than 2000 hence 2K

So display manufactures market it as 2K because on the horizontal resolution is greater than 2000 and makes it seem like half of 4K resolution.

All these can be and are marketed as 2K or QHD by some monitor makers.
RmeoDjJ.jpg

It is marketing. It is used to make it seem like it is half the resolution of 4K, it is now used colloquially by some as normal usage but it is not the standard. Display makers will put any label on their products as long as they can make money and get away with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom