• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 19 Things Nintendo's President Told Us About Switch and More

PSFan

You've said that your biggest worry about Amiibo is that buyers are collecting instead of using them in games. Have you figured out how to solve this?

As far as having people who are trying to collect Amiibo, it doesn't mean that we're going to be making a ton of Amiibo. With Switch and the Joy-Con, we do have an NFC [Near Field Communication wireless] reader. And so our goal, rather than producing mass amount of Amiibo for collectors, is to forge a better connection between gameplay and Amiibo itself.

Wait, why do they care what people do with their amiibos? And why does it need to be "solved"?

People pay the same amount for them whether they are collecting or using in a game.

Fireblend

Banned
The biggest issue is when you want to connect to free wifi but you have to log in through the browser. This was a problem for me on 3DS at launch. (Just wanted to play some Street Fighter IV online!)

This is actually a pretty good argument! I know plenty of places with web-based logins. Wonder if that just means I won't be able to play online in those environments. Kinda shitty.

Nimby

Banned
Switch internet browser would actually be decent because of the touchscreen. But really, I hardly even use my phone to browse the internet, never on console.

Alebrije

Hope they ad internet bowser later , I surf the Internet mostly on WiiU , think it has a great app for that.

steveovig

I used the web browser on the Wii-U a lot, and I think it's a better browser than the PS4's crappy browser. I can't even fathom a handheld tablet-like console not having a browser.

Honestly, what is the problem with asking that the Switch have features that the competition has had for years? I don't just want games. I want social features that go along with that, that Valve, Sony, and Microsoft have been doing. That means a browser, friends' activity feed, Netflix, and achievements. Right now, the only thing keeping me attached to Nintendo is the idea that IMO they make the best games around and that's very frustrating.

komorebi

No Miiverse or Street Pass is such a massive mistake.

I disagree, I'm glad to see them gone in favor of a dedicated gaming system. Not to mention outside of Tokyo or NYC or any major metropolis, street pass doesn't really work like it was intended. I live in a city, but not a walking city like NYC. My only option was to go to that poison shack called McDonald's and try to get a signal from the parking lot. I always wished I could get reliable street passes because it's a cool idea.

Street pass will probably return in the SwitchDS though, seeing as that would likely be the true successor that dovetails into the Switch ecosystem.

xandaca

Patching in support for the Wii U Pro Controller would greatly increase my chances of eventually buying a Switch. The appallingly overpriced peripherals is one of my main reasons for holding off.

BuggyMike

I absolutely love the idea of VR from Nintendo. I imagine The HD rumble would greatly enhance a VR experience, and it conveniently comes packed in. It's nice to see Nintendo responding that they're already looking into things like this when asked, rather than the responses that we used to get, like telling us, the consumers, that said feature isn't right or whatever, or it needs to incorparate "family fun". I really like Kimishima, he seems very "in-touch" with the industry.

Lylo

I was thinking more about it replacing peoples tablets that they use on the way to work. They want people to take this thing on the go, gaming on the go is great but the ability to game AND watch netflix or browse the net (either through free wi-fi or tethering to your mobile) is even better.

I don't quite see people carrying a mobile phone, a tablet and the switch with them to school or work. 2 of those maybe, just not all 3. (admittedly most of my web brosing is done on my 5.5 inch screen phone and I don't watch netflix on the go, so maybe i'm talking out of my bottom!)

Oh, i see what you mean, but i don't know if im beeing frivolous with this statement, i really don't want to sound like it, but it seems to me that tablets are becoming less relevant today, in my city, i see more kids using them than adults. I can totaly see people choosing to carry their Switches instead of their tablets, because their phones can do almost everything a tablet can.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
I'm glad Nintendo is focusing on the basics for launch. Make sure everything is running smoothly before adding features not everyone cares about. Considering how slow the WiiU UI was at launch (and even after patches), can't say I blame them for going barebones this time around.

A wise approach, if you ask me.

Scrawnton

Patching in support for the Wii U Pro Controller would greatly increase my chances of eventually buying a Switch. The appallingly overpriced peripherals is one of my main reasons for holding off.
Every controller for Switch has Hd rumble and gyro controls. Wii U pro controller has neither of those things. Aka, won't happen.

I mean really, does the lack of an internet browser at launch matter to people? Like you dont have access to much better browsers on all your other various multimedia devices that have 4G LTE

I'm glad Nintendo is focusing on the basics for launch. Make sure everything is running smoothly before adding features not everyone cares about. Considering how slow the WiiU UI was at launch (and even after patches), can't say I blame them for going barebones this time around.

A wise approach, if you ask me.

Not wise if people in 2017 expect the device to have certain features as a standard.

I really hope they have a youtube app. I watch youtube every night on my tablet but it's old and it struggles to run the videos without everything going out of sync. I had just been thinking to myself how nice it would be to get the switch and essentially use it as a tablet at night, sounds like that's not gonna be possible now :/

JAYinHD

Nope. Slow, clunky as hell. Every single one I've used is terrible.

I agree with you. Using a web browser on a console is just troublesome for me as well. I wonder if Nintendo looked at some data regarding web browser usage for their current hardware and determined it wasn't important to have at launch.

gogojira

The last thing I think about when using a Nintendo system is a shit ass browser. I've got iPads, iPhone, etc, etc. I just need games.

Zalman

I never use browsers on game consoles. I could however see myself using a YouTube app on Switch. It's not something I'm clamouring for, but I could imagine myself watching videos on it in tablet mode. Especially Nintendo Direct streams.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Next, whether Nintendo eShop is fully supported and functioning for Switch at launch, we can confirm that it will be possible to purchase and play downloaded software at launch, but we are not sharing further details at this time.

Sounds like we'll indeed be getting some kind of info blast on the eShop prior to launch. Now to wonder which week it'll happen in.

Jubenhimer

I think this has already been established, Switch will nothing but playing games. Kinda like pre-DS times. Big gamble for Nintendo, I want to see what this "for a game console only thing matters is the games" philosophy work out for Nintendo.

Actually, Nintendo has said they are considering multimedia apps for the Switch in the future. It's just that these apps won't be available at launch.

NSESN

Considering the quote that they aren't working on a 3DS successor, it bascially confirms that, if it has a successor, it will be a version of switch, I can't see they starting and finishing work on a completely new handheld before 3DS becomes inviable.

Raitaro

None of the "established, broadly used social platforms" that I know of, offer the unique communication methods that Miiverse offered, especially when integrated into actual games like Splatoon, so I for one remain sad it will not make the transition. It really fitted with Nintendo's unique and quirky way of doing things I found.

Maybe they just don't want to admit how much effort and money it was/is costing them to monitor and filter the Miiverse posts? (And yes, they'll need to do that still for Wii U and 3DS but messages there at some point will die down I assume, especially on Wii U.)

I mean really, does the lack of an internet browser at launch matter to people? Like you dont have access to much better browsers on all your other various multimedia devices that have 4G LTE

Personally it's not about having other devices in which I can do this and other things (Youtube, Netflix, etc).

It's more about having to juggle more devices than necessary, and Nintendo launching a new console in 2017 lacking pretty basic features that most modern devices have. Even the Wii, their 11 year old console now, has these features. It's just a bad look IMO.

This was a very interesting and informative interview. Much more thoughtful than I would have anticipated too. At Nintendo seems to genuinely want to make the online worth paying for and are aware that people are hesitant - I'm curious to see what they come up with.

None of the "established, broadly used social platforms" that I know of, offer the unique communication methods that Miiverse offered, especially when integrated into actual games like Splatoon, so I for one remain sad it will not make the transition. It really fitted with Nintendo's unique and quirky way of doing things I found.

Maybe they just don't want to admit how much effort and money it was/is costing them to monitor and filter the Miiverse posts? (And yes, they'll need to do that still for Wii U and 3DS but messages there at some point will die down I assume, especially on Wii U.)
Basically. The various ways Miiverse was implemented in games is the real loss here.

Audio messages in Deus Ex, that goofy mode in RE Revelations, bottled messages in Wind Waker HD, graffiti in Splatoon, etc.

Acinixys

http://time.com/4662446/nintendo-president-switch-interview/
Not sure about that last one. I want VR done right... not cheaply.

nintendo_switch_vr_headset_3.jpg

We can only dream

I could give a shit no browser on Switch at least at launch. I love that it's all about gaming. How many freaking browsers do we all need in our lives!

Top Bottom