• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 19 Things Nintendo's President Told Us About Switch and More

nintendo_switch_vr_headset_3.jpg

We can only dream

Clic lol

Cyborg

And in terms of the Internet browser, since all of our efforts have gone toward making Switch an amazing dedicated video game platform, it will not support it, at least at launch.

Efforts have gone toward making Switch You are fcking making a console not a trip to Mars...not adding a Internet browser in 2017 confirms that Nintendo lost their mind.

Old, consevative man at the top.... Relying on the nostalgia succes.

atbigelow

100% fine it doesn't have a web browser. I don't need another device with a browser.

I think the key to this thing is going to be to hone it's game-focused capabilities. I'm sad it doesn't support streaming services like YTG or Twitch; I feel those are musts. But other things like making sure it does gaming really well is what I'm interested in. Couldn't give two shits if it had Netflix or YouTube on it.

Efforts have gone toward making Switch You are fcking making a console not a trip to Mars...not adding a Internet browser in 2017 confirms that Nintendo lost their mind.

Consoles don't need browsers. We're not living in the world of PS1/2 where consoles double-dipped for multimedia features. Yes, it still happens. No, I don't believe it's important.

If I had all my devices with browsers sitting next to me, I wouldn't be able to fucking move.

If they just slapped in a browser without putting serious effort into it, this thing would be hacked within a week. They've got other priorities.

Blues1990

If support for Twitch & Netflix is added down the line, then I'm fine with the Switch not having those features at launch.

I'm not at all surprised the Internet Browser isn't supported, as a good chunk of people are using that as a gateway for homebrew software & the like.

I'm more bummed about Streetpass & Miiverse not returning, as those were easily the coolest social features the Wii U/3DS had.

Dude we are talking about an Internet Browser......

You say:

You mean make more than a handfull of launchgames? My bad.
You don't seem to realize how many consoles can been homebrewed just by going to a web page. If they ship this with an exploitable browser, that's millions of devices they can't undo.

And I imagine making sure the online infrastructure works is more important (yes, there are online games at launch and in launch window).

#4theplayers, Switch is. Quite literally too.

So, when Sony touts that slogan and lies their ass out, it's great, but when a company actually makes a console for games and only games, it's bad?

Vern and NateDrake redeemed, numerous times. Those guys know their stuff.

(Might be with a wee twinkle in the eye in this post)

jts

...hate me...
Really liked his interview, if only because it puts to rest those ”but but a real 3DS successor is coming" whispers.

Absolutely no VC at launch blows though :( Especially because Switch is basically the best thing ever for VC.

atbigelow

Yes, a browser, the most exploitable avenue in any console with one. So exploitable that failoverflow's recent PS4 hack video didn't even bother disclosing theirs due to how trivial it is.

Cyborg

You don't seem to realize how many consoles can been homebrewed just by going to a web page. If they ship this with an exploitable browser, that's millions of devices they can't undo.

And I imagine making sure the online infrastructure works is more important (yes, there are online games at launch and in launch window).

Uhm....ok. Launching a console in 2017 without it is just crazy in my eyes.

hao chi

Every controller for Switch has Hd rumble and gyro controls. Wii U pro controller has neither of those things. Aka, won't happen.

It could still happen, but the Wii U Pro Controller wouldn't be able to be used for every game, just like how on the Wii and Wii U certain controller options wouldn't work for certain games. Still, that wouldn't be a problem for most couch multiplayer games.

jobrro

So far the information like no Miiverse, browser, phone app for chat etc. and 'making it an amazing gaming experience' PR talk suggests the OS may have a low overhead on Switch. It was pretty crazy on Wii U that the OS took up half the system memory while still remaining pretty slow and useless while in game outside of Miiverse and the browser.

Before the Xbone and PS4 released we knew how much memory was available to games, has this information been released or leaked yet for Switch?

Oregano

So far the information like no Miiverse, browser, phone app for chat etc. and 'making it an amazing gaming experience' PR talk suggests the OS may have a low overhead on Switch. It was pretty crazy on Wii U that the OS took up half the system memory while still remaining pretty slow and useless while in game outside of Miiverse and the browser.

Before the Xbone and PS4 released we knew how much memory was available to games, has this information been released or leaked yet for Switch?

Well Vern told us Switch wouldn't have a browser or multimedia apps(which is true) and he said it's 3.2GB for games and 800MB for OS.

I guess it's good to know that they're focused on games. I can't wait to see the games that the web browser programmers are working on.

I guess it's good to know that they're focused on games. I can't wait to see the games that the web browser programmers are working on.
NERD is allegedly working on Virtual Console if that's what you're wondering. (I say "allegedly" because after the last few months I've lost track of what's confirmed and what's "highly sourced rumor")

A future update to add Wii Remote functionality for stuff like VC, Bomberman, and Mario Kart would be a total megaton to me. Cheap dpad controllers I already have FTW. Gamecube support beyond Smash would be almost as good.

And yes, I realize that I'm one of like three people who care about this, or so I've been told.

jobrro

Well Vern told us Switch wouldn't have a browser or multimedia apps(which is true) and he said it's 3.2GB for games and 800MB for OS.

Interesting. That split seems reasonable and over time they should be able to optimize the OS to add features and/or reduce that footprint.

Hope there is a Direct soon showing off the OS.

Nightbird

No, the poster is right.

Both, the WiiU as well as the Vita can be easily hacked with one simple visit to certain websites via their webbrowsers.

While the 3DS needs additional steps (that can be fulfilled by anyone who can read), it also needs to visit a certain website via webbrowser to complete the hack.

While i don't like them missing out on a Webbrowser, i can totally see it's need to to do this to make sure it stays impossible to hack the device.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
People should read the link. A lot of interesting info. The next time people expect powerful Nintendo hardware (myself included) they should be slapped around the face with the current CEO's quote about Yamauchi and the whole philosophy of Nintendo.

Jonboy

No talk about the virtual console? Why is no one asking this question?

This right here. I did a 'CMD+F' looking for it and couldn't believe it wasn't even mentioned.

People should read the link. A lot of interesting info. The next time people expect powerful Nintendo hardware (myself included) they should be slapped around the face with the current CEO's quote about Yamauchi and the whole philosophy of Nintendo.

Yep.

Well making consoles is evidently harder than what you are making it out to me. Check any console launch since..well the ps3/360's days. You got pretty much say that each console needed an extra 6- 12 months in the oven.

jts

...hate me...
This right here. I did a 'CMD+F' looking for it and couldn't believe it wasn't even mentioned.
Well, the Virtual Console brand itself isn’t addressed directly but Kimishima says the Switch is not compatible with titles from past systems :/

Blues1990

Interesting point about future amiibo compatibility, as for myself, I'm about 50/50 with how I used the figurines for it's intended functionality. Splatoon & MK8 are the obvious ones, but I didn't use it all that much for Smash Bros.

sneas78

Banned
No, the poster is right.

Both, the WiiU as well as the Vita can be easily hacked with one simple visit to certain websites via their webbrowsers.

While the 3DS needs additional steps (that can be fulfilled by anyone who can read), it also needs to visit a certain website via webbrowser to complete the hack.

While i don't like them missing out on a Webbrowser, i can totally see it's need to to do this to make sure it stays impossible to hack the device.

I don't think not having a browser will stop exploits. Different entry point will be found. In my opinion.

Basically. The various ways Miiverse was implemented in games is the real loss here.

Audio messages in Deus Ex, that goofy mode in RE Revelations, bottled messages in Wind Waker HD, graffiti in Splatoon, etc.
If they wanted, they could probably still do this stuff by way of Twitter or whatever, though of course it would be less under their control. It asks "Do you want to leave a message about blablabla?", lets you leave some text and a drawing, gives it a hashtag or two with metadata (#nsmbu #stage3-3). Later game can search for those tags, load up any text or images that match the appropriate dimensions/colors/whatever.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
low PPI VR looks like putting your face against a CRT

8-bit VR.

But actually the answer doesn't say you can play VR on the current Switch, just that it's powerful enough.
which is also questionable, but I guess some simplistic games could run on it

test_account

XP-39C²
Nice interview, doesnt feel like just simple PR speak. I also like that he gives data for some of the games' performances.

Do many people use the web browser function in their consoles? Usually I never bother with those.
I use it basically every day on my PS4. Using it to browse GAF, Youtube and other websites that i frequently visit. Nice to have it available on the TV easy.

Schnozberry

Very rarely usually has to be a pretty unique situation like my phone is dead and my back is hurting too bad to go sit at my pc.

Yeah, I launched the PS4 browser a couple of times, only to say fuck it when I realized I had to enter all the text with the PS4 software keyboard. It was faster to go grab my phone out of my coat.

Shang

what the fuck are you talking about

Peléo

Is eSports going to become a Nintendo pillar?

We think eSports is the business that many consumers expect us to engage in now and in the future. We think titles such as Splatoon 2 and ARMS for Nintendo Switch have suitable elements for eSports. On the other hand, we are considering what Nintendo-like eSports can be in terms of the business model, and the rewards for the outcome of the battle.
You told me a story last time about solving Wii shortages in 2008 and 2009. Any thoughts on Switch availability solutions as the launch nears?

Nintendo has been gradually recognising esports. Hopefully they will fully embrace it with the Switch.

Top Bottom