• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 19 Things Nintendo's President Told Us About Switch and More

8-bit VR.

But actually the answer doesn't say you can play VR on the current Switch, just that it's powerful enough.
which is also questionable, but I guess some simplistic games could run on it
It's not like there's a set amount of hardware power you need for VR, any more than there's a set amount games need for 60 fps. In either case it's always going to need to be something simpler than the non-VR or lower framerate games on the same machine.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's not like there's a set amount of hardware power you need for VR, any more than there's a set amount games need for 60 fps. In either case it's always going to need to be something simpler than the non-VR or lower framerate games on the same machine.

Yes, but the lower you go in power the worse it will look in VR. It's not like on a TV 3 meters away from you, you just can't hide it behind great art. Jaggies will cut into your retina.

If they wanted, they could probably still do this stuff by way of Twitter or whatever, though of course it would be less under their control. It asks "Do you want to leave a message about blablabla?", lets you leave some text and a drawing, gives it a hashtag or two with metadata (#nsmbu #stage3-3). Later game can search for those tags, load up any text or images that match the appropriate dimensions/colors/whatever.
I have no idea if that is possible but a lot of people either aren't on social media or more likely don't care to be publicly posting this kind of stuff there.

I could post whatever Nintendo gaming related stuff I wanted on Miiverse as that's literally what it was there for. Will we really have no 'community' aspect on Switch outside of Friend Lists?

Looks that way and it's a shame.

routerbad

Banned
Dude we are talking about an Internet Browser......

You say:

You mean make more than a handfull of launchgames? My bad.

Time to cancel my preorder!!! This is preposterous.

Or...

Maybe it doesn't matter. Some people won't stop trying to convince the rest of us what we should consider valuable, important, or fun.

Just a pet peeve, but I wish they could have titled the article something like "New Information about the Switch" instead of "19 things."

As for Nintendo's statements, I really wish they would just say this is our only focus for the next few years instead of suggesting the 3DS isn't dead after this year. If it isn't, that's a huge mistake. This should be the model for Nintendo consoles moving forward.

nintendo_switch_vr_headset_3.jpg

We can only dream

Who made this? The switch would need to be inserted from the top, otherwise it could fall if the gripping mechanism fails.

PSY・S;229915598 said:
.... how would you insert it from the top when the rails are open on the top and not the bottom of the switch
Theoretically: upside down. The system will already be outputting in non-normal ways, rotating it will be no big thing.

Peltz

I still think any vr solution would not use the 720p screen. Instead, it would probably have a full helmet like the PSVR.

Peltz

I still think any vr solution would not use the 720p screen. Instead, it would probably have a full helmet like the PSVE with denser pixel count in the middle if the lenses.

Dude we are talking about an Internet Browser......

which is the most reliable gateway to insert CFW and homebrew on both Wii U and 3DS. I'm pretty sure they are aware of it and don't want to fuck things up (even if it took people several years to reach that level)

AzaK

Interesting that the LAUNCH version can supposedly do VR. Would've thought a 1080p screen version of the console would come out first.

Anything can do VR. The question is how good is it. Remember Nintendo won't be going for a great technical experience, they'll just have to be average and hope they can add some good software in there.

" They look at the third-party support, they look at what the developers are bringing to the platform. That's different,

Sure is...the other consoles actually have third party support.

do believe that career gamers are going to need extra time to understand that we're doing something different [with Switch]. They really need to get the opportunity to play. We need to get this into people's hands.
But that's not going to get those "career" gamers. They'll make up their mind by the information you give them about the console and the games and so far it's not looking good.

Could it be they just don't want the browser on the 1.0 firmware and only as an app so that they can have more control over piracy? Would that help them? I got no idea

Peltz

But that's not going to get those "career" gamers. They'll make up their mind by the information you give them about the console and the games and so far it's not looking good.

I think it's looking pretty good. A lot of people who haven't owned a Nintendo console since the GCN seem interested in this one. Of course, this is just my anecdotal experience.

Not entirely based on the browser news, but Nintendo's "game device dedicated for games" would be the biggest mistake they could make. The Switch is in a position that no other console, Nintendo or otherwise, could be as advantaged for. The tablet-like form of the device is basically made for it - why shouldn't apps typical of tablets devices be available on my Switch? I'd love it if my device that plays games could also be my device for late night Netflix or web browsing or social media in bed. I don't understand why Nintendo would just ignore this and leave it to other devices to dominate our lives instead.

Anything can do VR. The question is how good is it. Remember Nintendo won't be going for a great technical experience, they'll just have to be average and hope they can add some good software in there.
I've noted this before, but at the very least even Switch's screen would be able to do a decent job of enabling proper 3D Virtual Consoles for Virtual Boy and 3DS at a minimal price. EDIT: Of course touch features would be a bit troublesome with the screen on your eyeballs.
bytesized said:
Could it be they just don't want the browser on the 1.0 firmware and only as an app so that they can have more control over piracy? Would that help them? I got no idea
I don't know how effective this could be. Everything has a chance to have some exploit, and until it's in the wild and used by many people many would just never be caught. Breath of the Wild could have an exploit.

Zedark

Not entirely based on the browser news, but Nintendo's "game device dedicated for games" would be the biggest mistake they could make. The Switch is in a position that no other console, Nintendo or otherwise, could be as advantaged for. The tablet-like form of the device is basically made for it - why shouldn't apps typical of tablets devices be available on my Switch? I'd love it if my device that plays games could also be my device for late night Netflix or web browsing or social media in bed. I don't understand why Nintendo would just ignore this and leave it to other devices to dominate our lives instead.
I agree with this, but I think they will have it on there within the year. It seems more like they are skipping some features in favour of launching this fiscal year than they are actually committeren to pure gaming and gaming only.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's nice that Nintendo is looking into VR, I have great hopes that Nintendo would be able to build some great VR games.

Top Bottom