• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when a new dev took over a franchise an actually made it better?

Something like DmC being done by Ninja Theory instead of capcom, 343 taking over Halo from Bungie, or Bend doing Uncharted Golden Abyss.

I really can’t think of a lot of examples where a new studio (with no ties to the old) took over a game franchise and it ended up much better or equally as good.

Laptop1991

This is only a personal opinion and will upset a lot of Black Isle fans, but Bethesda when they bought the Fallout franchise, but that's because i prefer 1st person and 3rd person view over isometric, and like the BGS gameplay a lot more, they use to be very anti Beth on the old old forums and would nag anyone to play Fallout 1 and 2 a lot.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Ninja theory over Capcom regarding Devil May Cry?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Last edited:
Something like DmC being done by Ninja Theory instead of capcom, 343 taking over Halo from Bungie, or Bend doing Uncharted Golden Abyss.

I really can’t think of a lot of examples where a new studio (with no ties to the old) took over a game franchise and it ended up much better or equally as good.
You’re using those examples as the opposite of what you’re asking for right?

Flabagast

Crystal Dynamics when they took tomb Raider from Eidos, and Eidos Montreal when they took Tomb Raider from Crystal Dynamics.

But saying that mostly says that it’s been a long time since the IP has been in a good shape, although I have a soft spot for Shadow of TR

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Outrun! The original 1986 arcade game was great, and Outrunners is frankly an even better followup. But when Sumo Digital were tasked with Outrun 2 in 2003/Outrun 2006, they made the originals look like garbage. Not only does it have the best visuals in the series but gameplay wise it expands a lot on the outrun formula, with a campaign, heart attack mode, more indepth physics, a shop to buy newer faster cars, all while still keeping the formula of the games intact. You can tell Sega were glad with the choice they made as they basically just got them to make the Sonic and All stars Racing games in 2010 and 2012.

Edit: I was woefully uneducated with this post, Sega AM2 (same guys who made the original outruns) made outrun 2. The game is not made by sumo digital, only the home ports. Disregard this post entirely

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Metal Gear.
Since Kojima left, the series is in a much better state: Dead.

But seriously, none. Everything has just gotten worse.

Last edited:
Streets of Rage 4

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

Prey

Not sure if I would strait up call it better, but Wayforward's Contra 4 was fantastic.

Dragon Quest has went through several developers since Chunsoft (who did the first 5). Level 5 did great with 8 (9 wasn't bad either). Dev team that did 11 was really good too.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not the same kind of game, but it was at least in name.

Looking Glass Studios making Ultima Underworld games. Fantastic games much better than the traditional stodgy Ultima games.

Banned
Killer Instinct

that game actually counts twice as well!
not only was the base game itself, made by Double Helix, way better than what Rare did, it then also got taken over by yet another studio, Iron Galaxy, starting from season 2, and they vastly improved the gameplay and technology. it went from 720p on base Xbox One to 900p, and then they improved shadows, lighting in general and of course gave it a One X update down the line that runs at native 4K60, which I think is still the only 4K60 fighting game on Xbox One X

Last edited:

Banned

I feel like Prey doesn't count, Arkane's Prey is not set in the same universe, doesn't use any of the mechanics of the first game, and is a completely different genre as well

but if it were to count, then yeah, big improvement

Something like DmC being done by Ninja Theory instead of capcom, 343 taking over Halo from Bungie, or Bend doing Uncharted Golden Abyss

these are all negative examples demonstrate that it is a very rare occurrence right?? right???

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Crystal Dynamics taking over the reigns of Tomb Raider was the best thing to happen to the franchise. I remember the last one Core developed and it was running on fumes. CD did two fantastic reboots. Not many developer csn achieve something like that. Hopefully they do it again now that they are in charge of the new next gen installment.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I like Nu-Raider better than Tomb Raider.

I love Nintendo, but every time Capcom has appeared in a Zelda title, they've absolutely KILLED it.

Metal Gear Survive was great, because it killed the franchise and spared us of anymore Konami Originals.

Likewise, Rising was awesome.

Banned
When Crystal Dynamics took over The Legacy of Kain from Silicon Knights. Blood Omen 1 was a hell of a story for the time, but it was a shitty videogame. The entire series afterwards is what made me an Amy Hennig simp.

true, but everything starting from Uncharted 1 cured me from being her simp

Blood Omen 1 would be a great candidate for a full remake tho, taking maybe some inspiration from Blood Omen 2

Porcile

Deus Ex? But only because Invisible War wasn't particularly great. It's debatable if Human Revolution was better than the first Deus Ex.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
God of war 2018?

Tbf, all i wanted to see is a good game, normally i dont take note of who is the person in charge of it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
DeckNine made the better Life is Strange games (Before the Storm, True Colors).

Thabass

Toys for Bob - Crash Bandicoot
I don't think they did any better, but it was a very good entry for sure.

When THQ and AKI took over WWF games in the during the Attitude Era of games.

They took over for Acclaim who was just having a rough time making a good wrestling game and they used the VPW engine and we got WWF WrestleMania 2000 and WWF No Mercy. The latter of those games being one of the best wrestling games ever made.

Top Bottom