• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Build's 'Punch Club' celebrates milestone of being pirated over 1,600,000 times.

Durante

In before the piracy apologists.
I do wonder what you mean by that.

Am I a "piracy apologist" if I say that the number of times a game is illegally downloaded is meaningless? What matters is how often it is sold. That's it. Any statistically sound connection from the former to the latter is really hard to establish.

Nightbird

When enabling piracy on Android is as easy as unchecking a single box, it really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that android is not that much of a desired platform.
The userbase may be significantly higher than the one on iOS, but the profit is the same at best (with exception of those free-to-play heavy hitters)

It is just the mentality here. For example, Dark Souls III price just rose from 100 BRL to 250 BRL. 90% of the posters are saying that they are just going to pirate the game thanks to this.

The thing is, if they really had an intention of buying the game, they would have done so.
Those are quite the price hikes. Maybe there needs more awareness about supporting creators of games if you want further games from them.

Pepboy

This pie chart bothers me. It says it's listing percent per country, but the percentages appear to add up to 100% like a normal pie chart, which would suggest they're plotting some sort of relative percentage that probably doesn't exist. I can't figure out what it's saying. The percentages on the chart don't actually match what I calculated from the figures in the blog article. In any case it makes me a little suspicious about how much they actually understand about the rest of the data in that article.

Yep. I'm sure there's some data underlying the pie chart, but the title shows it does not mean what they think it means.

edit:
I do wonder what you mean by that.

Am I a "piracy apologist" if I say that the number of times a game is illegally downloaded is meaningless? What matters is how often it is sold. That's it. Any statistically sound connection from the former to the latter is really hard to establish.

Yeah, good point. It reminds me of early Stardock, which took a relatively lax stance toward pirates. If I recall their argument was that rather than bemoaning piracy rates, companies should focus on games / genres that cater to legitimate consumers.

KingV

It makes me suspicious of the data period. Do they understand how to collect meaningful data, or are they just grabbing whatever numbers and using those without any interpretation/allowances? Basically don't trust numbers unless you know how they got them. BUT: I haven't read the article yet, so maybe that's covered.

It is not. As someone who who works in data sciences for a living, I agree. The how it is collected is often the most important element.

One key to this analysis is the part where they localized to Brazil and sales were unaffected either way. This seems to suggest that piracy has little effect on sales.

Also, since we know piracy is rampant, you would expect that games that are not cracked months after release would have in characteristically high sales. I'm not really seeing the evidence for that.

My take-aways:

1.) US accounts for very little piracy over time (for at least this game)...but arguably the most in the earliest days?

2.) Russia, China, and Brazil appear to make up 50%-75% of all piracy totals after the initial wave and over time.

3.) Android users are filthy thieves. But seriously what the fuck are you guys doing? I'm sure it's not GAFers...so tell your friends to stop fucking stealing $5 games. The 5 of the first 10 links I see when I google "punch club android" are links to pirated copies of the game. I don't see stolen versions for iOS until I get to page 2 or 3.

ZombAid82

Crysis ruled Graphicistan for years.

Graphics maybe, game, not so much!
Also Crytek is not in Germany anymore, because you just can't hold it here.
The State doesn't support like other Countries do, that's why everybody in the german industry only produces shovelware shit!

Statistics like these don't say too much, but it's fairly obvious that iOS piracy would be far less rampant. iOS' chokehold has pros and cons, but for a game developer, basically, it's a net positive.
How the hell does piracy on iOS happen? or does it mean Mac computers that have used torrents
Jailbroken devices are all that can do it, to my knowledge.
Android you just flip a switch to allow you to install any apk, basically like Windows.

timmyp53

Does anyone actually wonder this?

hqdefault.jpg

LordRaptor

Yeah, good point. It reminds me of early Stardock, which took a relatively lax stance toward pirates. If I recall their argument was that rather than bemoaning piracy rates, companies should focus on games / genres that cater to legitimate consumers.

They weren't that lax about piracy, they just fought it in a pretty clever way; the "v.1" editions of their games were generally DRM free, but all patches were only obtainable via the Impulse client.
Apart from the fact they were... not great... on releasing their v.1 versions bug free, they often had fairly extensive post launch updates, so pirates would generally have to download multiple versions of the same product to get the latest bugfixed feature add edition.
I imagine people who liked their products enough to want additional features and bugfixes eventually decided it was less hassle in the longterm to just buy the game.

Taker34

Banned
Graphics maybe, game, not so much!
Also Crytek is not in Germany anymore, because you just can't hold it here.
The State doesn't support like other Countries do, that's why everybody in the german industry only produces shovelware shit!

What are you talking about? Crytek is still located in Germany with the HQ being in Frankfurt...

danowat

Banned
So what's the answer?

It's clear that a certain set of people will pirate anything because they can, and it's also clear that the vast majority of legitimate gamers hate DRM, so it's a hell of a catch 22 for any developer really.

timmyp53

How the hell does piracy on iOS happen? or does it mean Mac computers that have used torrents

It's really hard to implement drm for a mobile app. I wonder if the denuvo team has considered a light weight platform for app makers. The sheer number of apps released could be huge for them.

F-Pina

Would be interesting to know how much pirating would be going on if instead of PT-BR they would have translated it to PT-PT.

Firstly:
Pirating a <£5 game?
Isn't that #TotallyNotFirstWorldProblems
I understand it in Brazil/Russia/China, but come on!

Secondly:
How are these stats gathered? I guess it's DRM free and the app automatically phones home to log into a user account or something.
I'm surprised that PC pirates don't block that stuff in their firewall, which would make the actual PC piracy rate even higher (gulp!) since you're only catching the dumb pirates who don't think "maybe I shouldn't allow a hacked .exe downloaded from some dodgy website to talk to unknown locations on the internet".

I hope the devs made some decent money despite the piracy.

For people asking "how did they get the numbers?", there is a whole article linked in the OP and to quote a part of it:
http://tinybuild.com/punch-club-has-been-pirated-over-1-million-times said:
On the other side our analytics tools (Unity Analytics + a 3rd party tool) track all activations via fingerprinting. We take overall amount of activations minus legit sales per platform minus 10% (to offset for people who activated a legit copy on more than 1 device).

The graphs confused me at first as I was like "why does adding Portuguese boost Spanish piracy?" and then I noticed Spain is a duller shade of yellow.

I wonder if having a demo on Steam would have impacted the number of pirated copies on PC.
Not all games fit into a demo model, there are doubts about how helpful demos are (are you more likely to put people off from a bad demo) and some might think these days that every game has a 2 hour demo thanks to the refund system.

I'm still seeing no evidence to support the idea that any of these people were going to purchase the game at all if they couldn't pirate it.
While every game is different, this has been discussed to death with devs reporting sales take a dive day and date their games hit torrent sites. That doesn't mean 100% of pirates would buy, lol, no. That just means there is a correlation.

But, surely, it's coincidental.
Every time it happens.
With every game it happens to.
Coincidence and nothing more!

Its 2016. We can stop pretending a majority of pirates aren't shitbags who just flat out don't want to pay for games.

It would be interesting to see this data, but unfortunately the writer suffers from a bad case of not knowing how to actually present it, nor what to present.

Some of it is just outright incomprehensible, like the "% of people who bought the game instead of pirating per country", which obviously should not have been a pie-chart. For example, if we look at Germany, there 454 copies purchased, and 880 copies pirated, on the first day, based on activation numbers. This of course means that 34% of people who activated a copy did so using a non-pirated copy. But somehow the graph shows 46% .. what?

Brazil is crazy because the game is dirt cheap on nuuvem.

If you paying in dollars, sure.

Brazil is going through one of the worse economic and political crises since the recession of 38.

In Brazil, the minimum wage is roughly 880,00 R$ wich translates into 243,00 USD. Luckily we have our own store fronts with translated prices, but, Punch Club on the BR steam costs 20 R$, representing 2.5% of their salary. A retail AAA game, like The Division, on Brazil costs 129,00 R$ ( PC version, console games are much more expensive) which is roughly 15% of the minimum wage.

Outside of relative pricing, there is cultural and historical reasons some people refuse to buy original games even if they can.

Ucchedav&#257;da;198899268 said:
It would be interesting to see this data, but unfortunately the writer suffers from a bad case of not knowing how to actually present it, nor what to present.

Some of it is just outright incomprehensible, like the "% of people who bought the game instead of pirating per country", which obviously should not have been a pie-chart. For example, if we look at Germany, there 454 copies purchased, and 880 copies pirated, on the first day, based on activation numbers. This of course means that 34% of people who activated a copy did so using a non-pirated copy. But somehow the graph shows 46% .. what?
Don't forget the data having two decimal places for no reason :(
But the 46% is quite easy: (454*0.9)/(880)=0.464 as they say each purchased copy counts as 0.9 activated copies to account for valid purchases activating on multiple devices.

prudislav

Very cool breakdown. 1.6 mil pirated vs 300k bought. Insane. .
honestly 300k for such a crap "grind the game" its way too much of what it deserves
as for the 4 pirated vs 1 bought rate on PC its surprisingly low , especially when the big pubs like Boobisoft are claiming that 95% of there games are pirated copies

nkarafo

Sure, people playing your game for free is unfair but i don't think if piracy didn't exist the game would sell 2 million units.... most of these downloads aren't lost sales. Pirates download anything in their path, whatever that is, even if they know they probably won't like it. Especially things that are very small to download. But when you buy something you actually choose before you pay.

Don't forget the data having two decimal places for no reason :(
Yeah, that threw me off, too.

But the 46% is quite easy: (454*0.9)/(880)=0.464 as they say each purchased copy counts as 0.9 activated copies to account for valid purchases activating on multiple devices.

That could at least explain the number they've obtained, but that number is something quite different from what the figure title describes ("% of people who bought the game instead of pirating per country"), in that it shows something like the number of legitimate copies purchased per pirated copy of the game. Or to rephrase, for every 100 copies of the game pirated in Germany, 46 copies were sold in that country.

Or rather, it shows 90% of that, considering that the 0.9 factor you multiplied by should already have been accounted for when they calculated the number of "Pirated" copies. It is not clear exactly how they calculated that number, but it seems to have been something like #Pirated = #Activations - #Sales * 1.1, based on the text. And I still don't understand why decided to put that in a pie-chart.

In short, it's a mess.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
When enabling piracy on Android is as easy as unchecking a single box, it really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that android is not that much of a desired platform.
The userbase may be significantly higher than the one on iOS, but the profit is the same at best (with exception of those free-to-play heavy hitters)

Profit being the same would probably make it just as desirable then, assuming development is of a similar difficulty to iOS.

It spiked the piracy, but didn't affect the sales numbers in a negative way. So it's not like localizing to portuguese = making LESS money.

But eh, still horrible.

If spending the time and money to localize a game doesn't correlate to an increase in sales, but instead an increase in piracy, that's money lost on localizing tho.

How do piracy trackers account for people downloading off of file hosting sites instead of bit torrent?

They said it was built into the game, so they don't really need to depend on trackers stats.

ZombAid82

Football Simulator? You mean Manager? That one doesn't even come out in Germany lol

Also, serious answer: Deponia Doomsday just came out

That's what I meant^^
DD seems nice, as far as it looks, but not my type of game, but I get your point, Germany is third world game developer country.
One decent game here and there, but overall, here in this country doesn't happen much.

What are you talking about? Crytek is still located in Germany with the HQ being in Frankfurt...

Yeah, sorry, i got something mixed upped there.
My bad, carry on, nothing to see here.
Shame on me^^

Caayn

Does anyone actually wonder this?
Outside of hardcore android fanboys/girls and folks out of touch with the inner workings of the industry I doubt it.

Sometimes I wonder why gamedevs even make paid apps for Android when they are fully aware of the horrible piracy numbers.

n64coder

Most torrent sites aggregate statistics for downloads.

Some applications have embedded metrics that call home upon activity.

From the OP:

Being number geeks, we planted plenty of analytics into all versions of the game to figure out the exact numbers of… pirated copies of Punch Club. [We even went further and decided to see how localization might impact piracy, and have some interesting regional stats.

They're not using torrent statistics so I think their numbers are probably accurate.

Top Bottom