• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

RqIU6oo.png

MaestroMike

Gold Member
james cameron went 3 times deeper than the titanic these billionaires should've went with his team real professionals not some random hobo off the street. RIP.

Last edited:

Kilau

Yes, this is what I mean. But I'm thinking about this, and this would in fact not work. It would be crushed anyway in case of a hull integrity problem just like if there was air inside. That's because there are compressible things inside (the humans).
Not the whole sub, just the diving suit.

Ed-Harris-The-Abyss-water-breathing-1.gif

This whole thing is a source of anxiety...

spaceballs-president.gif

I hope they find them, but it seems complicated now...

Its a retrieval mission now. That fucking thing imploded.

What was there a 3rd party company that did inspection and found fractures in the carbon fibre hull of the vessel. Carbon fiber is set to shatter like porcelaine at extreme pressures like those in the deep ocean. It was largely untested in such extreme environments but someone on BBC said that despite this thing having been down to the titanic 3 times before, the vessel could still eventually fail as the pressure cycles on the hull start to weaken the carbon fiber weave.

My money has always been on an implosion. The banging sounds they heard was probably a Sperm whale gangbang.

Been watching some videos of past dives in the sub. One thing I noticed is they let the passengers drive the thing and in the video's i've seen, they run into shit all the time, rocks, debris etc. Would not doubt if it got stuck on something or damaged from running into shit. If not that, probably imploded from stress after mulitiple dives wearing untested materials down at that depth.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Christ, what is the pressure like at 11 000ft at Challenger Deep. Crazy to think they already reached that point in the ocean in the 1960's.
1101 bar / atm, 1100 times the pressure on the surface. Fun place to be!

For even more fun this is what happens when you try to 'dive':
In 1992, Comex diver Théo Mavrostomos achieved a record of 701 metres (2,300 ft) of seawater (msw) in an onshore hyperbaric chamber. He took 43 days to complete the dive.

My head starts to hurt if I try dive to the bottom of my local swimming pool. Fuck trying to scuba dive!

Don't fuck with water (seriously, it doesn't make a good lubricant).

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't know much about water dynamics, but if you take the design of this deep water subs but replace the air inside with water, wouldn't the sub hold the pressure with no problems? As water cannot be compressed. Then divers could go inside at normal preassure. I'm sure this would not work I just can't see why...
Trying to fill the interior of the sub with water at depth would be VERY difficult, as the water would want to push in and displace the air at extreme pressure. If you could do it, or if the sub went down filled with water (or if it were open to the ocean, like an open coke can or something), then it would be less likely to implode as the interior pressure would match the exterior pressure and it would depend on the structure of the hull if it had any imperfections, cavities, or was compressible material.

This is the basis for the fluid breathing systems that replace air in your lungs and sinuses with oxygenated fluid. It allows you to tolerate more pressure without needing a higher air pressure (which tends to force nitrogen into your blood stream, 'causing nitrogen narcosis or if it forms bubbles that collect in your joint, the bends). But it takes time to adjust to higher air pressure, and even longer to "decompress" from it, so for these types of experiences they use a rigid hull to hold a bubble of normal pressure atmosphere for the humans.

This is all VERY well articulated in The Abyss where you see the compression stage (SEALs and Buds wife going down for hours), the higher pressure allowing the "moonpool" because it pushes 'back' against the ocean allowing for direct access to the ocean, the rapid implosion of Coffey's damaged minisub when he is at lower depths that the higher atmosphere can't resist, Bud using the fluid breathing system, the eventual failure of that system at deeper depths, then the surprise at their survival on the surface without days/weeks of decompression to allow all the gases to diffuse out of their blood stream. The novelization explains it much better.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Obviously this is entirely grim, but I do wonder what happens now.

By most estimates the oxygen is gone/practically gone. If they found it now, there wouldn't be enough time to bring the sub up.

How long will they search for a submarine of dead bodies?
I'm guessing that they know they are dead (they heard the implosion, last audio indicated a terminal accident, etc) but the search is primarily fueled by the wealth at stake, risk of lawsuits, and PR. I'm guessing these guys companies are paying for all of it.

I'm guessing the more bouyant parts of the sub will start to wash up in the next few years. Maybe they have a black box equivalent that might be recovered if there was a part designed to float up and away in the event of total structural collapse.

Then again, given that the designer was putting his own life on the line with each dive, maybe improving future models wasn't high on his priority list as he wouldn't be around to benefit from it anyway?

I'm guessing that they know they are dead (they heard the implosion, last audio indicated a terminal accident, etc) but the search is primarily fueled by the wealth at stake, risk of lawsuits, and PR. I'm guessing these guys companies are paying for all of it.

I'm guessing the more bouyant parts of the sub will start to wash up in the next few years. Maybe they have a black box equivalent that might be recovered if there was a part designed to float up and away in the event of total structural collapse.

Then again, given that the designer was putting his own life on the line with each dive, maybe improving future models wasn't high on his priority list as he wouldn't be around to benefit from it anyway?
I read it doesn't have a black box but it was designed to float to the surface after a certain amount of time? Fuck knows. There is so much shit going about.

I know they are all rich dudes who are apparently the fucking worst kind of people but they are still humans and have families so I hope that they at least can get some answers to what happened.

Such a shitty thing to happen. I can't imagine what they were going through. I still think the best thing that could've happened is that the sub imploded and killed them all within <1 second so that their deaths were at least quick and painless. Even if they did slowly suffocate then I hope they found some peace.

RIP

jason10mm

Gold Member
Such a shitty thing to happen. I can't imagine what they were going through. I still think the best thing that could've happened is that the sub imploded and killed them all within <1 second so that their deaths were at least quick and painless. Even if they did slowly suffocate then I hope they found some peace.

RIP
Yeah, my guess is catastrophic implosion and the entire thing is in pieces at the bottom, scattered by currents.

Possible it is intact but hung up on or near the titanic, to be discovered later.

Possible they had an en-route accident like the O2 levels dropped and they all fell to sleep, then died; pure O2 got sparked and flash burned them all; or just power loss, the bouyancy measures eventually worked and they are all asphyxiated on or near the surface yet to be found. In this case the sub will eventually wash up somewhere, someone I'm sure has modelled the currents, the likely rate of descent and then ascent, and has predicted when and where that might be.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Visiting the titanic is interesting, and I’ve seen documentaries of subs going deeper.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Obviously this is entirely grim, but I do wonder what happens now.

By most estimates the oxygen is gone/practically gone. If they found it now, there wouldn't be enough time to bring the sub up.

How long will they search for a submarine of dead bodies?
Pisces III crew was rescued way after they should be out of oxygen. Like 20h later, but they were professionals in submersible designed with safety in mind and it was equipped with carbon dioxide scrubbers..

kuncol02

Banned
Been watching some videos of past dives in the sub. One thing I noticed is they let the passengers drive the thing and in the video's i've seen, they run into shit all the time, rocks, debris etc. Would not doubt if it got stuck on something or damaged from running into shit. If not that, probably imploded from stress after mulitiple dives wearing untested materials down at that depth.
It was tested and actually failed in that test.
"In 2020, OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush stated that the hull had been downgraded to a depth rating of 3,000 m (9,800 ft) after demonstrating signs of cyclic fatigue.
Carbon fiber could be maybe acceptable for one use submersible.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If the thing was navigated with a Logitech gamepad, the chances of a black box are zero IMO. Going by what someone posted above, it looks like the guy didn't even test or fix the gamepad as the controls were rotated 90 degrees compared to the analog sticks.

Apocryphon

Yeah, my guess is catastrophic implosion and the entire thing is in pieces at the bottom, scattered by currents.

Possible it is intact but hung up on or near the titanic, to be discovered later.

Possible they had an en-route accident like the O2 levels dropped and they all fell to sleep, then died; pure O2 got sparked and flash burned them all; or just power loss, the bouyancy measures eventually worked and they are all asphyxiated on or near the surface yet to be found. In this case the sub will eventually wash up somewhere, someone I'm sure has modelled the currents, the likely rate of descent and then ascent, and has predicted when and where that might be.
All horrible ways to go, but I assumed power loss and asphyxiation was more likely. I didn’t even consider a flash fire 😳 Jesus..

TrebleShot

yikes, sad to hear but at least it would have been quick and painless in that they wouldn't know what's happening
I wonder though if it even was that painless, they were what 1hr45 into the decent so not even all the way down, perhaps it was more of a slow crush.

Apocryphon

yikes, sad to hear but at least it would have been quick and painless in that they wouldn't know what's happening
I wonder though if it even was that painless, they were what 1hr45 into the decent so not even all the way down, perhaps it was more of a slow crush.
That would be horrid, but the hull would breach pretty quickly I think.

Carbon Fiber can't do a slow crush like metal can. Carbon Fiber is incredibly strong but once it goes...it goes.

Metals and super thick acrylic are used for the important bits on submarines for a reason.

DrFigs

What was bad about it?

I live in the UK, seemed ok to me.
It was every hour we kept getting updates about it. lots of misinformation about the likelihood of there being any survivors. the chyrons kept getting updates about how its a "race against the clock" and "only 10 hours of oxygen left!", like it was an action movie. i found the whole thing to be extremely sensationalist and in poor taste.

Top Bottom