• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was every hour we kept getting updates about it. lots of misinformation about the likelihood of there being any survivors. the chyrons kept getting updates about how its a "race against the clock" and "only 10 hours of oxygen left!", like it was an action movie. i found the whole thing to be extremely sensationalist and in poor taste.
My exposure to the situation is reading this gaf thread and maybe one article on CP24. Woop-dee-do. Its an oddball situation of a wrecked sub, but I'd rather watch something more fun like baseball or last night I watched the old Arnie classic Predator which was on one of the movie channels.

But that's news shows for ya. It's a baity industry to begin with where ratings are dependent on whats happening in the world combined with editors in the background turning anything from this deep sea dive to a teenager wiping out on his BMX into the most eye popping news bites ever.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Implosion.
I'm no expert but I think this thing imploded and they were all dead before the story even broke.

I figure after the weekend the media will have moved on to the next random story to overhype and we won't hear much more about it.

Last edited:

Kilau

I hope it was instant, not a few moments of fear due to creaking or system failures. Unfortunately I believe dick head CEO felt he could push one more million dollar dive out of the sub knowing it was the end either way.

Trilobit

Gold Member
In the midst of this tragedy I found this image:

xentBsa.jpg

But seriously, the more I hear about that submarine the less I understand why anyone would willingly go inside it. Absolutely awful event for their families.

A rescue expert says the debris found in the search for Titan was "a landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible".

David Mearns, who is friends with two of the passengers on board Titan, says he is part of a WhatsApp group involving The Explorers Club.

Mr Mearns told Sky News the president of the club, who is "directly connected" to the ships on the site, said to the group: "It was a landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible."

The president of that club is our guy Richard Garriott!

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The video in the opening post reminds me of the Byford Dolphin Incident which involved a similar concept. Basically it was a large moveable oil platform that had a diving bell and decompression chambers. One of the divers used the incorrect procedure and the chamber exploded due to decompression with bodies literally torn apart in seconds. I'm not sure if this is true, but they say it happened so quickly that their brains didn't realize they were dead, though this could be for drama.
I'd never heard of that, really nasty stuff. As horrible as it is though I'd probably prefer that as a way to go :messenger_neutral:

Such a dangerous job.

What was bad about it?

I live in the UK, seemed ok to me.
I'm in the uk and anytime I put the news on this was all they were talking about. Inflation and interest rates were mentioned only now and then....Ykno, shit people were worrying about because it affects their lives.

I really didn't expect this whole sub shit to dominate the headlines. A good distraction I suppose

Burger

The whole thing comes off as sort of almost-legit. Big ticket prices, fancy looking kit. But beneath the surface it's a boys club printing their own 'mission patches' and posing for pictures next to the toy submarine. Like actually mental as soon as you learn a few details. How they got away with it for so long is amazing.

So basically it imploded on Sunday and whatever was left fell to the bottom of the ocean.

Hopefully it was quick and they didn't know anything about it. RIP.

Are their bodies now crushed into paste or how does that work?
Depends what depth they were at but they were almost 2 hours down. I think it takes about 2 and a half hours to get to the titanic. (Edit. That might be wrong. Could be about 6 hours)

Any oxygen in their system is gone so collapsed lungs for starters. Most of the human body is water. We're basically just lumps of flesh. The force of the materials of the sub might have made it more violent. Probably just ended up a mess of blood, flesh, and bone. Whatever lives down there will eat away at whatever remains. So basically nothing left of the people. There is debris of the sub and that'll lie beside titanic now.

Last edited:

ssringo

Money doesn’t buy you brains. There was a former chief of the French Navy on board, you would have thought that is one person that would know shit when he saw one.
I thought it was revealed he knew it was some bullshit risky business but felt he couldn't pass up the chance regardless. Though I might be mixing that up with another person. Kinda difficult to navigate the news around this.

I thought it was revealed he knew it was some bullshit risky business but felt he couldn't pass up the chance regardless. Though I might be mixing that up with another person. Kinda difficult to navigate the news around this.
That's what I heard too. If you're spending 200-250k on a janky ass tin can then you can afford to pay for a proper sub. Should've got in touch with Gabe Newell or James Cameron.

I'm sad they are dead but how stupid can you be? Would you go into space in a Jerry rigged rocket and a cheap space suit?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To think there's possibly a logitech controller amongst the ruins of the Titanic.
Future Aliens trying to reconstruct Human History will be confused
And an article said the directions of the analog were 90 degrees off. So an interdimensional green goblin will land on Earth a million years from now after its been nuked and examine the gamepad.

The alien will do some techno-reconstruction and be amazed at a small controller can navigate a mini-sub. But will be puzzled why these two legged creatures made it so pressing left means up when everything else examined on Earth shows up means up, and when it comes to airplanes, down can mean pitch up.

It'll be the only thing on Earth where left means up where it'll be an eternal mindbender on Planet Xerxes 2.81 light years away.

"They cant be that stupid on Earth. There must be a reason why left means up"

Last edited:
The millionaires club is now heavily debating on how to present a statement that it imploded on Sunday, due rich people's poor judgement and hubris, to minimize the shit from hitting the fan.

Safety concerns were also raised by The Manned Underwater Vehicles committee of the Marine Technology Society, which penned a letter to OceanGate in 2018 expressing concern over what it referred to as the company’s “experimental approach” with the Titan vessel and its planned expedition to the site of the Titanic wreckage, the New York Times reported Tuesday.

“Our apprehension is that the current experimental approach adopted by Oceangate could result in negative outcomes, (from minor to catastrophic) that would have serious consequences for everyone in the industry,” the letter, obtained by the Times, reads in part.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
But here’s the thing - I always thought if you are a military bro you know that 0.00001% this ends badly is too much. It’s the same with airplane pilots.

JCK75

Don't get me wrong, nothing offends me, it's never too soon to make jokes IMO..
But usually when bad shit happens I'm being careful who I joke about it to.. but for some reason this event..
everyone who would tell me too soon is making constant jokes.
almost like it's that rich lives don't matter.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
But usually when bad shit happens I'm being careful who I joke about it to.. but for some reason this event..
I think it's moreso stupid and filthy rich that don't matter

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The only person I feel sorry for is the young kid in there, the rest knew the score why they went into it is beyond me ?!?

From BBC website:
  1. Debris from the missing Titan sub has been found in the search site, a friend of the passengers says
  2. David Mearns tells the BBC a "landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible" were seen
  3. A debris field was found on the seabed near the Titanic wreck, the US Coast Guard announced earlier
  4. The Coast Guard will hold a press conference at 15:00 local time (20:00bst) with more information
  5. Contact with the sub - which has five people on board - was lost on Sunday as it made a descent to the Titanic wreck

Adam_802

Press conference apparently in 20 minutes.....

Implosion would honestly be the best news to hear at this point. Would mean they didn't suffer.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

The thing is that this tragedy was avoidable if the owner of the company hadn't made so many glaring mistakes, to the point of absurdity. The level of stupidity is staggering, so it's difficult to take this situation seriously.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Draugoth

Gold Member
The submarine has likely imploded. US Coast Guard will brief the public at 3pm EST

Here's the statement from the Company:

The owner and operator of the Titan vessel has released a statement saying they believe the five men on board the sub are "sadly lost".

It said: "We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost.

"These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world’s oceans.

"Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew.

"This is an extremely sad time for our dedicated employees who are exhausted and grieving deeply over this loss.

"The entire OceanGate family is deeply grateful for the countless men and women from multiple organizations of the international community who expedited wide-ranging resources and have worked so very hard on this mission.

"We appreciate their commitment to finding these five explorers, and their days and nights of tireless work in support of our crew and their families.

"This is a very sad time for the entire explorer community, and for each of the family members of those lost at sea.

"We respectfully ask that the privacy of these families be respected during this most painful time."

uswjBBz.jpg

Friend of two of the men missing on board the submersible confirms the debris found was "a landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible", after receiving WhatsApp message live on Sky News.

Last edited:

Fbh

RIP I guess
At least if it was an implosion they didn't suffer.

The memes are hilarious though

People generally have less sympathy for those seen as being in a privileged position.

But also they paid $250K for what anyone with common sense could see was a death trap so it's hard to feel too sorry for them aside from the 19 years old kid

Top Bottom