• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

Buggy Loop

Wow, late to the news, just saw that they found the debris, amazingly lucky for the families. They have closure at least.

Implosion

holy shit

Draugoth

Gold Member
ray donovan omg GIF by Sky

Wanna bet he will delete this tweet soon?

Jason has deleted the tweet haha, good thing it got screencaped.

He~s going to be cancelled isnt he?

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Jason is just a little bitch boy with no spine, last time he posted a "joke" he had people jumping on him and he backed down immediately and deleted it. It will be no different this time. He's a bell end who won't stand by what he says. Bloomberg should just sack him

This is the last one I can remember

uTH6R4C.jpg

Edit - Just as I said above, deleted. So here it is for prosperity.

sBG63y7.jpg
He's a slimy spineless little bitch.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Dying of oxygen deprivation is also a "painless" way to die because you go into a coma due to carbon monoxide poison.
Actually, CO poisoning is FAR from painless. A guy recorded himself using his car exhaust in the garage and it took over 20 minutes for his retching, gasping, choking sounds to stop. Maybe he was unconscious for some of that time, but it was hardly "going into a coma". Now O2 deprivation is like that (assuming there isn't a CO2 spike to trigger the breathing reflex) which is why places with nitrogen or other O2 displacement gas fire suppression systems have to have "LOW OXYGEN" alarms because otherwise folks will just pass out with little warning.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Actually, CO poisoning is FAR from painless. A guy recorded himself using his car exhaust in the garage and it took over 20 minutes for his retching, gasping, choking sounds to stop. Maybe he was unconscious for some of that time, but it was hardly "going into a coma". Now O2 deprivation is like that (assuming there isn't a CO2 spike to trigger the breathing reflex) which is why places with nitrogen or other O2 displacement gas fire suppression systems have to have "LOW OXYGEN" alarms because otherwise folks will just pass out with little warning.
Carbon monoxide is not the same as carbon dioxide, which is probably what the poster you quoted meant. And exhaust fumes also contain far more than just carbon monoxide. Unless these guys brought a burner on board, they didn't die from carbon monoxide.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Think that is because of all the other shit in car exhaust. People who have almost died from pure CO poisoning from a faulty heater have described people basically just becoming sleepy and lightheaded. CO poisoning is just the blood being unable to carry oxygen so very similar to O2 deprivation.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Era thread on this just got locked. The reason?.....

"Since some of y'all are openly admitting to harassing Jason Schreier, we're temporarily locking this thread to review posts and get y'all to cool off."

LMAO cowards.

They are actually defending him. I hope that post and the staff reaction to that post causes another Exodus within their mentally ill ranks.
Locking a fucking thread to defend this fucking double standard prick. I swear, I'd feel actual anger, if I didn't already know that nature is already having it's way with him.

I just read IMPLOSION. My, God...

Last edited:

Probably didn't even have time to feel any pain, it would have been all over really quick. Another expert on BBC weighed in that it would have been a really powerful implosion.

So far 5 pieces of debris have been found. It would be fucked up ff the sub hit the Titanic and is now resting inside the ship but really they should stop these tourists vists to the wreck. It's a graveyard.

So far 5 pieces of debris have been found. It would be fucked up ff the sub hit the Titanic and is now resting inside the ship but really they should stop these tourists vists to the wreck. It's a graveyard.
Visiting the site of a tragedy where 1500 people died a horrible death for entertainment is tasteless to begin with. It's not a tourist attraction for rich folks to feel like they're part of a special and exclusive club.

Wife of missing submersible pilot is a descendant from Titanic couple who perished​

Wendy Rush, the wife of the executive who piloted the submersible that has been the subject of a desperate search after it went missing during a dive to the Titanic wreckage, has a personal connection to the ship.

Rush is the is the great-great granddaughter of retailing magnate Isidor Straus and his wife, Ida, who were part of the group of more than 1500 people who died during the Titanic’s maiden voyage, according to New York Times archive records.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Probably didn't even have time to feel any pain, it would have been all over really quick. Another expert on BBC weighed in that it would have been a really powerful implosion.

According to the press briefing, the Coast Guard stated that the wreckage was found about 1600 feet away from the Titanic itself.

Tams

Me too. Very tragic and horrific accident. I hope many lessons will be learned from this.

I don't think there's anything to be learnt.

Shoddy vehicle, with engineers who worked on it leaving and speaking out due to concerns, and one of the founders trying to skirt regulations? It was just a matter of when, not if.

Many laws and regulations are there because someone did something stupid and/or nefarious.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Think that is because of all the other shit in car exhaust. People who have almost died from pure CO poisoning from a faulty heater have described people basically just becoming sleepy and lightheaded. CO poisoning is just the blood being unable to carry oxygen so very similar to O2 deprivation.
Could be true. Certainly would fit the "they all died in bed" story we get from shoddy constructed homes or folks using gas gennies indoors for power.

At any rate, I doubt CO was an issue in the sub. I'm curious how they handled their atmosphere. Portable CO2 scrubbers and a tank of pure O2? Was the sub over-pressured by the end (by the design) or was everyone breathing through closed circuit hoses?

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Wife of missing submersible pilot is a descendant from Titanic couple who perished​

Wendy Rush, the wife of the executive who piloted the submersible that has been the subject of a desperate search after it went missing during a dive to the Titanic wreckage, has a personal connection to the ship.

Rush is the is the great-great granddaughter of retailing magnate Isidor Straus and his wife, Ida, who were part of the group of more than 1500 people who died during the Titanic’s maiden voyage, according to New York Times archive records.
this just got plot twisted woah
Surprise Plot Twist GIF by Filthy Rich

that's flipping woah

Last edited:

Fake

Jason is just a little bitch boy with no spine, last time he posted a "joke" he had people jumping on him and he backed down immediately and deleted it. It will be no different this time. He's a bell end who won't stand by what he says. Bloomberg should just sack him

This is the last one I can remember

uTH6R4C.jpg

Edit - Just as I said above, deleted. So here it is for prosperity.

sBG63y7.jpg

What a fucking asshole.

Patrick S.

Banned
I don't think there's anything to be learnt.

Shoddy vehicle, with engineers who worked on it leaving and speaking out due to concerns, and one of the founders trying to skirt regulations? It was just a matter of when, not if.

Many laws and regulations are there because someone did something stupid and/or nefarious.
I think future passengers will look way way more into the companies that offer these rides, and the tech of the subs. I hope future potential passengers who get told that the sub in question is made out of carbon fiber will turn on their heels and run away. Safety standards will go up, just as they do when a plane crashes and lessons are learned. And there should be laws forcing the sub operators to have comprehensive insurance, and that the insurance will only insure type approved vessels.

Also, the rescue efforts for this accident must have cost tens of millions of Dollars already, and I wonder if taxpayers from all the participating countries will be paying for this?

Last edited:

dave_d

It really depends on levels but much of the time it has flu like symptoms. For those that didn't know human air hunger works off of CO2 levels so if those rose you'd feel like you were suffocating. As was also mentioned if the air was just low on O2 you'd just pass out, like what happened before a shuttle launch.

Ulysses 31

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
There was also some wokeness at play when he didn't want a 50 year old white guy with expertise since that wouldn't be inspirational.

That wokeness is just a cover to not pay for experience (i.e. cheap labor that wouldn't talk back to him when he asked for bullshit corner cutting)

nkarafo

The thing is that this tragedy was avoidable if the owner of the company hadn't made so many glaring mistakes, to the point of absurdity. The level of stupidity is staggering, so it's difficult to take this situation seriously.

I've seen a lot of memes about this and one that stuck out to me was the man responsible for the whole operation saying he didn't want to hire "boring 50 year old white males" for the project.

And apparently this is a quote he really said in an interview. Now, i don't know if what he said has anything to do with the end result but if it does, the "get woke, go broke" line gets a whole new meaning.

Edit: Just got beaten.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Gold Member
I had read that one of them, besides the CEO, had been on this trip multiple times and was a huge Titanic historian. At least he died doing something he truly loved.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wow, so they likely detected something was wrong with the hull and tried to issue an emergency, probably realizing right there and then that it was too late and they were done for. I can't imagine the panic & stress they went through in their last moments.
That's possible, but I think the way carbon fiber fails is different than metal, so instead of slowly deforming, the whole thing implodes in an instant. I think that the vessel probably imploded before the sensors had time to detect anything was wrong.

Edit: Or perhaps more likely, the vessel imploded so quickly that even if the sensor alarms did go off, the passengers were dead before their brains have time to process that event.

Last edited:
Top Bottom