• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan submarine for Titanic tourism - Nightmare fuel

Draugoth

Gold Member
RIP I guess
At least if it was an implosion they didn't suffer.

The memes are hilarious though

People generally have less sympathy for those seen as being in a privileged position.

But also they paid $250K for what anyone with common sense could see was a death trap so it's hard to feel too sorry for them aside from the 19 years old kid

They probably were too excited to be worried over any potential death.

Cant really blame them. Some people are addicted to adrenaline (see McAfee)

SJRB

Gold Member

This implosion happened faster than their neural system takes to process that something is even happening. They were literally dead before they even realized something was wrong.

Insane finale to a fucking insane story.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
RIP I guess
At least if it was an implosion they didn't suffer.

The memes are hilarious though

People generally have less sympathy for those seen as being in a privileged position.

But also they paid $250K for what anyone with common sense could see was a death trap so it's hard to feel too sorry for them aside from the 19 years old kid
So true.

But not just rich people. Anyone doing something risky is in the same boat. I've seen my share of disastrous base jumpers swan diving to their death.

Never felt one ounce of pity or remorse. I find the videos one part freaky circus and one part hilarious.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The thing is that this tragedy was avoidable if the owner of the company hadn't made so many glaring mistakes, to the point of absurdity. The level of stupidity is staggering, so it's difficult to take this situation seriously.
He did manage to get that thing down to the titanic a couple of times so they had some serious engineering know-how. But hombrewing a vessel for a task that is at the extremes of engineering capabilities was always gonna be a roll of the dice.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Don't get me wrong, nothing offends me, it's never too soon to make jokes IMO..
But usually when bad shit happens I'm being careful who I joke about it to.. but for some reason this event..
everyone who would tell me too soon is making constant jokes.
almost like it's that rich lives don't matter.

Is that the only common characteristic that these individuals share?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The thing is that this tragedy was avoidable if the owner of the company hadn't made so many glaring mistakes, to the point of absurdity. The level of stupidity is staggering, so it's difficult to take this situation seriously.
Well, it's one of those things involving a big event and big money. And when you got each passenger willing to pay $250,000 everyone business owner would be sweating in excitement.

As for the passengers, are you the type of person who will go to trustworthy businesses? Or are you the type of consumer who sees something really cool and will just do it even though the business clearly has no reputable image, nor are they a big corporation which would have tons of process and proven safety standards involved?

Call me an untrusting rebel, but if I was itching for water activities, I'd just stick with a cruise ship or do white water rafting from a place with A+ safety ratings and has been around for decades.

It's not even about the money even if I had a quarter million to blow like it's peanuts. It's about the entire evaluation of: product, trustworthiness, how itching I am for thrills.

If you needed an xray, would you go to a hospital with proven gear? Or go to someone's house using an xray machine he built in his garage? For me, I'd be a hospital gear guy.

Fish gon' eat gud. Sorry I can't feel bad for them.

I'm trying to be a better person but it's not working out so much for me. I'll try harder next year.

Yeah they having some Indian and French finger foods down there.

chinese-buffet.gif

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I loved the end part where the reporter was like "Can we get the names of the people who spoke today?" and the navy lady was like shit.... "Let me get back to you."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Same guy who rakes companies over coals because of overtime. Ain't that some shit.
The majority of white knights on social media are no different than the avg person. They make fun and say disgusting things too. They just try to put on this angelic image. Well, at least Jason S came out clean and showed how he truly is today. Yup, no different than the typical person I know at work

Draugoth

Gold Member
So true.

But not just rich people. Anyone doing something risky is in the same boat. I've seen my share of disastrous base jumpers swan diving to their death.

Never felt one ounce of pity or remorse. I find the videos one part freaky circus and one part hilarious.

Bet ya the piss weasel sharp deletes it.

2K people ready to screencap this.

RIP Titan sub crew

maxresdefault.jpg

I bet Hollywood makes a movie of this tragedy in a few years.

Yo dude, buy a windows license.

Last edited:

Adam_802

Lol the piece of shit can't help but let his true colors show for a bit. And its not even a funny/clever joke. You can tell he obviously just wanted to say something cruel and tastless about the submarine first, and needed to make up a quick 'joke' to tack on half-heartily to hide behind.

Everyone should tag Bloomberg and let them know about that tweet....

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Not the end I was rooting for. It seems that those happen only in movies.

From what I'm reading now they make it sound like it was a miracle this didn't happen earlier.

What a tragedy.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Honestly if I had to choose between instantaneous painless death from implosion vs living for a few days in pitch black while slowly running out of oxygen smelling human waste I’d choose instant death every time.

Dying of oxygen deprivation is also a "painless" way to die because you go into a coma due to carbon monoxide poison.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lol the piece of shit can't help but let his true colors show for a bit. And its not even a funny/clever joke. You can tell he obviously just wanted to say something cruel and tastless about the submarine first, and needed to make up a quick 'joke' to tack on half-heartily to hide behind.

Everyone should tag Bloomberg and let them know about that tweet....
That's media whores for ya. Always got to chime in to get some clicks. And if popular events take over media and nobody notices them, their ego and career go down the toilet.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wonder what an implosion does to a human body.

Are we talking about the body just blowing up like if you'd sit on a grenade or what?
Assuming that they were at a large pressure differential when it happened, they were crushed into a paste within a fraction of a second. Very tragic, but all things considered, probably the most painless way to die out of all the possible ways they could have died.

FUBARx89

Jason is just a little bitch boy with no spine, last time he posted a "joke" he had people jumping on him and he backed down immediately and deleted it. It will be no different this time. He's a bell end who won't stand by what he says. Bloomberg should just sack him

This is the last one I can remember

uTH6R4C.jpg

Edit - Just as I said above, deleted. So here it is for prosperity.

sBG63y7.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom