• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

Oh wow, Titan drops are based on KILLSTREAKS?

Just went from hype to don't give a fuck.

No it doesn't reset when you die. It's not a kill streak. You get points for killing AI, players, playing the obj even damaging Titans. You just aren't gifted them cuz you are in the game doing nothing. They are still very easy to get and if you are good you can get them faster even.

Chris1

You can die and the meter doesn't reset.

I'm pretty sure you lose points though. I got my titan, died, and when I respawned I lost my titan until I got another kill.

In the end it's a killstreak, it not resetting is just semantics. Does MW3 support class not have any killstreaks then? your killstreaks don't reset with that either.

People who think that even half of the points made in the OP will be fixed by the time of release need to wake the fuck up for their own sakes. Temper those expectations. At most they'll fix some values depending on player feedback to make the movement faster etc. The other things are way too fundamental to "hotfix". Really disappointed to hear this stuff. I wonder if the campaign is good at least.

When was the last time a predominantly MP FPS had a decent single player campaign? Especially one with this quick moving ADS-style gameplay?

So I'll be intrigued to hear the opinion of those that never played Titanfall before. The changes are so stark that previous Titanfall players will invariably dislike them...and if they're right in saying they're treating it like a new IP, then perhaps they're looking for a new audience.

Frozone

I actually didn't like the first one, so I didn't plan on getting this anyway. Not sure why they can't get this right. It was supposed to be my MechWarrior replacement.

Pompadour

Would people be opposed to both kills/objectives and time giving you Titan, effectively working like an Overwatch ultimate?

Full disclosure, I don't know how the current or old system works exactly.

If Respawn has taught me anything from Titanfall, it's that their work is never done. Titanfall at launch is not the same game that's played today. I trust them.

Titanfall at launch was still awesome though and the core gameplay didn't change, so I'm not quite sure i agree with your thinking.

Adding in new sound effects and emblems doesn't make a better game.

BTM

After playing it for a little bit I just went back to playing TF1. Hopefully they make some course corrections by release. Taking out AI from game modes and supposedly having Bounty Hunter replace Attrition is mind boggling.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
No AI? Now I'm a bit more interested.

That ruined TF1.

tJD7928.gif

Salz01

I played three matches. I wasn't having any fun, and hated the mode where I had to deposit funds because I was getting camped. Then I was only able to get a Titan near the end when we were loosing. I didn't play a 4th match.

The whole time I was thinking I can't wait for COD to come out.

I thought there was something wrong with me .

Bounty Hunt is the evolution of it apparently and there's supposed insiders on Reddit claiming it's replacing it completely. Lots of people complained about it in the impression topic and despite Respawn developers actively posting there, they haven't said a thing about it. Take that how you will, sounds like it's gone to me. If it was in the game they would have came out and said so.

Wow, yeah they are dropping the ball.

rackham

Banned
No it doesn't reset when you die. It's not a kill streak. You get points for killing AI, players, playing the obj even damaging Titans. You just aren't gifted them cuz you are in the game doing nothing. They are still very easy to get and if you are good you can get them faster even.
This is just plain wrong considering how tf2 encourages you to camp and kill ala call of duty. In tf1 you had a timer and all of your point would cut your timer so you could get it quickly. In tf2 it's been changed to call of duty gameplay with no secondary weapons and maps designed around the use of the grappling hook- even though its not given to all pilots. Game is a MESS

Would people be opposed to both kills/objectives and time giving you Titan, effectively working like an Overwatch ultimate?

Full disclosure, I don't know how the current or old system works exactly.

The old system was a timer ~3 minutes long. You could reduce that time by getting kills on AI, Titans, or Players. It was almost exactly like Overwatch's ultimate system.

shandy706

I pre-ordered it, I know some people came from TF1 and BLOPS3 and got their ass handed to them and didn't like it but I really enjoyed it, fast responsive fun gameplay which is the opposite of what those people are saying .
I haven't played TF1 but from the gameplay videos it doesn't look any different.

Now imagine a more agile, deeper, and exciting game than what you have played. That's TF1 ;).

Heheh

flkraven

Reading the Titanfall subreddit is actually super depressing. People aren't* mad or raging. They are genuinely shattered that a game they had so much hope for changed in this way.

Yep. Gotta "git gud" to get a Titan in Titanfall.

If someone wants to get "rekt'd" and not get a Titan, why play Titanfall 2? Better off with a different FPS...or Titanfall 1.

Please you don't have to be good. go farm AI or help your team take out Titans. Rodeo
Titans and refill your teammates batteries, play the obj they all give you points towards your Titan. I love Titanfall one and played thousands of hours but I really like the new battery system and the way you earn Titans in this game.

The movement I miss and the red outline is a bit newbie for my taste but I prefer a more competitive game.

Thabass

I'm also disappointed in it. The controls feel wonky, they slowed down movement speed and aiming feels weird (at least to me it does).

Probably not going to get this at launch now.

Tinúviel

I can agree some of the things but if i remember correctly not all the people liked the AI when the first game launched,now people talks like AI was the best thing about first game which is not.I remember killing a pilot was not easy in most of the game modes therefore you were dealing with the grunts most of the time and it became boring to play with them because in the end you wanted the face real players more then the AI.

Newlove

I don't know what more can come from this thread other than impression thread 2.0...
I do not agree that this is an absolute disaster, my only real gripe is the removal of bots and titans in modes other than Bounty Hunt. The other modes feel a little too quiet. After sinking quite a bit of time into this (and this is someone who played a ton of the original), I've been enjoying it the more I play. Titan health is more in your control. You need to jump out, grab those batteries and jump back in. You can last a long time once you figure out the best way to use them. I also enjoy the sniping quite a bit more than the original Titanfall. It seems a little easier with the slightly slower movement of players. And it is slight. Its a slightly slower pacing on foot but I don't think that a big negative. The speed is still there if you try.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

The game is called Titanfall. You aren't being "gifted" Titans for doing nothing, everyone is guaranteed one but players who perform well got it faster, as it should be. Everyone used to progress towards a Titan, now the timer comes to a standstill unless you're seeing action. It also takes the cool factor out of the game (hearing "60 seconds till Titanfall" as a reminder felt great)

Courage

I don't mind the way you earn Titans, but the rodeo system is trash now. If they wanna insist on batteries, why not revert to the old system when the battery of a Titan is already out? Why does it have to be a canned animation of you tossing a grenade?

It sucks to see all this hate. I really enjoyed the tech test. Like a ton. I had almost 1100 of those point things.

Honestly, it feels much more balanced and tight than TF1.

The only thing I miss is the hack knife but I heard it will be back as a tactical ability so hopefully that means you can build a whole play style around it.

No titan shield regen is a real game changer also, the only way to get a small shield (which does not regen itself) is by carrying a battery from ANOTHER titan.

Reading the Titanfall subreddit is actually super depressing. People aren't* mad or raging. They are genuinely shattered that a game they had so much hope for changed in this way.

You can't really blame them. Titanfall was the poster child for "man this game is great but it'll never get a sequel" and that genuinely sucked. Then out of the blue an announcement is made and holy shit, get hype for mech combat once again! Now it's coming out that this is nothing like Titanfall in the worst ways. Hope to crushing blow.

Nephtes

If Respawn is reading this:
I have probably close to 100 hours invested in Titanfall on XOne with something like 1700 achievement points.

Your game was one of the reasons I played so much Xbox while my PS4 gathered dust during that first year.

As of this moment, I'm not planning on purchasing Titanfall 2.

I'd like to know:
Was the removal of the AI soldiers and Titan timers due to design decisions or because you're no longer using Microsoft Azure and the power of the much maligned "Cloud".

Either way is bad news.
If it was a design decision, that means you didn't get why your game was so special.
If it was due to dropping Azure, that means we get a far inferior game so you can sell an IP to a larger customer base.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure which one of these scenarios is worse.

The AI made your low resolution world feel very alive. Your new low resolution, but cleaner looking world feels empty.
It's boring... And there are a lot of games coming out at the end of this year that don't look boring...

So which is it that broke your game?
Design decisions or dumping Microsoft to chase the larger PS4 customer base?

Whompa02

Wait, Titans are a killstreak now?

But it was perfect in the first game...sigh...so much was so perfect in the first game. They just needed to make a decent story that best represented the franchise and added more shit.

Why did they change so much?

grmlin

You can't really blame them. Titanfall was the poster child for "man this game is great but it'll never get a sequel" and that genuinely sucked. Then out of the blue an announcement is made and holy shit, get hype for mech combat once again! Now it's coming out that this is nothing like Titanfall in the worst ways. Hope to crushing blow.

They did not release it on PS4, that was their fault. I blame them for that.

Symbiotx

I'm not sure why, but I think people are kneejerk shitting on this game. Sure it feels too weighty, and some of the changes are bad, but some of the stuff people are whining about like having to earn your mech... give me a break. I get multiple mechs often in every game I played. It's really not a pre-order canceler. I had more fun playing battery swapper though, I love that addition. Give feedback to the dev about what you do/don't like instead of warning the downfall of the entire series.

Besides a few problems like being unable to invite friends for the later portion of the tech test, I had a great time.

Here's a video where I was climbing from mech to mech: https://youtu.be/BxIUe2knNYE

Cardon

As a first time Titanfall player, aside from a quick session I played of TF1 on the 360, I found the Tech Test to be okay. Even for me, a new player and all, I found the movement not to be as slick or smooth throughout the maps compared to some of the vids I watched from the first game. Obviously that can change and all, but on the base level it did seem like wall running, gliding in air etc. wasn't entirely as necessary to be win as opposed to simply just bunny hopping like crazy.

And it did seem to take too damn long to get a Titan unless you immediately go on a insane killstreak.

So yeah, I think TF2 may be more fun to play for the SP mode this time out even though I'm hoping for the best in the end.

vg260

Please you don't have to be good. go farm AI or help your team take out Titans. Rodeo
Titans and refill your teammates batteries, play the obj they all give you points towards your Titan. I love Titanfall one and played thousands of hours but I really like the new battery system and the way you earn Titans in this game.

That seems contradictory to your earlier response to my comment:
It still sounds like it's very unfriendly towards novice players.

As it should be players need to get better I had no trouble getting Titans other than in hardpoint which the build time is being fixed.

That's fine if it's how you prefer. You did state you had zero problems earning a Titan, however you also said you played thousands of hours of the original. That is not the position a lot of people interested in the game are coming from, especially for a first release of the series on the PS4. I don't think giving everyone at least one shot with the tools in the game is a bad thing. Better players will still win.

Symbiotx

Respawn is pretty good about listening to player feedback, so hopefully they change some shit.

I agree. People act like they just ruined the game and dropped it... but they listen to the players and make changes. I'm hopeful that they'll make a lot of changes according to the feedback they're getting, which is why I encourage people to let THEM know of the things they're unhappy about, not just posting about it here.

Alienous

You know exactly what I don't want in my online MP shooter?

AI characters.

I knew a dude who I played CS with who loved playing against bots. Fairly sure he was mentally handicapped.

I don't understand how the AI in Titanfall 1 could have ruined the experience. Unless a person has a strict 'no AI' take on multiplayer games. Also, what does being 'mentally handicapped' have to do with playing against AI?

I agree. People act like they just ruined the game and dropped it... but they listen to the players and make changes. I'm hopeful that they'll make a lot of changes according to the feedback they're getting, which is why I encourage people to let THEM know of the things they're unhappy about, not just posting about it here.

They read and post on NeoGAF. I don't think bombarding their Twitter is better than just laying out the criticisms here, where they can read them at their own pace.

Top Bottom