• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 isn't that bad

The inclusion of the Grappling Hook has a direct affect on map design, which has already seen to be lazy and less thoughtful.

I wouldn't call the current map designs lazy or less thoughtful by any means. They are following their new map design philosophy.

Fukuda: One of the big efforts there was trying to think of the degree of verticality, the sort of "swiss cheese" effect. But now we have a 3D "swiss cheese" effect. So we started thinking more in terms of simplifying the concept and using what the designers call a "window pane" effect, where we think in terms of lanes. Defined paths become the norm: the left, the middle, the right. There's a greater simplification of the player's understanding of the environment, so that the environment becomes more predictable and becomes less about just drawing lines across the map from any point to any point where it just becomes a mess. We're trying to make sure the level is designed in a way that gets these trendy routes and feels more fundamental.
-via http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer

You man not enjoy the maps that have been played/shown so far but to call the devs lazy and less thoughtful... c'mon man.

Kalentan

Infinite Warfare $80 version comes with a SP campaign thats co-op, an entirely seperate, massive co-op Zombies game, a massive MP game with tons of modes, guns, features, competitive play, ranked play, e-sports leagues already setup, and as a huge bonus you get Modern Warfare remastered along with 10 MP maps. Why would anyone buy the inferior Titanfall 2 lane-path shooter compared to this? If you hate modern/future combat, well, then you got Battlefield 1.

As much as I'm looking forward to IW, just a correct. The SP is only SP. No co-op. Only in Zombies.

Chris1

DLC/microtransactions will only be in the form of Titan paints,gun camo, player camo.
Has this been confirmed?

The inclusion of the Grappling Hook has a direct affect on map design, which has already seen to be lazy and less thoughtful.

Definitely, which begs the question.. why the hell isn't it default for all classes? Not that it's going to make the maps any better, but when such item has a huge effect on your map design, it makes no sense to make it an optional piece of equipment.

EcHoMaN

Banned
I wouldn't call the current map designs lazy or less thoughtful by any means. They are following their new map design philosophy.

-via http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer

You man not enjoy the maps that have been played/shown so far but to call the devs lazy and less thoughtful... c'mon man.

They may be trying to emphasis lanes for higher Pilot vs Pilot interactions/confrontations, yet verticality and even just simple Parkour horizontally has been made almost non existent by lack of Parkour structures on said maps, and instead have implemented a hook.

On Boomtown a medium sized urban map doesn't even have these "lanes" in which you can freely and easily Parkour from one end to the other without the use of the hook...

Right now on both the maps we've seen these "lanes" are slow, very wide, lacking objects to even make use of the TitanFall movement mechanics. They are slow open death traps...

It's very evident that Respawn has decided to severely slow the game down, I guess they felt the first one was too fast for the masses to enjoy. If this is how it's going to be they will have to raise the time to kill in order to compensate for slower gameplay, can't be moving in mud only to be insta-gibbed.

They have also come out and said that when designing the Titans this time around they have removed one dash overall for Titans, if you want mobility with a Titan comparable to stock un altered Titanfall1 Titan, you have to use a Dash upgrade. So yeah clearly mobility within the entire game has been toned down...

RedFury

They may be trying to emphasis lanes for higher Pilot vs Pilot interactions/confrontations, yet verticality and even just simple Parkour horizontally has been made almost non existent by lack of Parkour structures on said maps, and instead have implemented a hook.

On Boomtown a medium sized urban map doesn't even have these "lanes" in which you can freely and easily Parkour from one end to the other without the use of the hook...

Right now on both the maps we've seen these "lanes" are slow, very wide, lacking objects to even make use of the TitanFall movement mechanics. They are slow open death traps...

It's very evident that Respawn has decided to severely slow the game down, I guess they felt the first one was too fast for the masses to enjoy. If this is how it's going to be they will have to raise the time to kill in order to compensate for slower gameplay, can't be moving in mud only to be insta-gibbed.

They have also come out and said that when designing the Titans this time around they have removed one dash overall for Titans, if you want mobility with a Titan comparable to stock un altered Titanfall1 Titan, you have to use a Dash upgrade. So yeah clearly mobility within the entire game has been toned down...
I disagree that it was meant to completly slow down play and more to do with opening up lanes for a balance of pilot and titan combat. If they go back to TF1 pilot acceleration how would you guys feel about the new slide giving you the same boost in speed as a wall run? The new design philosophy is what it is (more space for titan combat) which means less wall running which means less player speed. So despite that you can still reach TF1 speeds and maintain it with the new slide (think vanquish) then a jump from that will put you at a maximum of 40kph like TF1. Titans on the other hand I like the "slower" play. They are stark contrast to pilot movement and actually feel like heavy killing machines. You can take dash if you'd like (I think it's pointless) and get some more movement. They are already speeding up recovery of dashes.

This is all common knowledge from around the net and from interviews... previous to the updates planned as of yesterday of course.

This doesn't address calling the developers lazy at all. That's what i was commenting to above. You're saying enacting their vision as devs makes them lazy and thoughtless.

Have you developed any games lately?

Top Bottom