• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

Dude, DUDE. i'd be a god on that ping.... wait, is that even possible? i thought it was nearly impossible to get pings below 15ms. you have to literally be across the street from the server center.

Impossible. As someone mentioned, you'd literally have to be living across the street from the data center to get it that good. That's insane.

I'm on gigabit fiber, the datacenter is maybe 5 miles away from where I live :p

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
For someone who played Titanfall up to gen 10, I don't like this game at all. it feels way too slow. The customization options are whack. This is the biggest disappointment ever :(

Foxxsoxx

As someone who hasn't played TF1 but was really interested since I have a PS4.

I like the wall running movement but the sprinting seems slower than I thought it would be, the rope can be a bit clunky but that might be the point of it.

The aiming is almost perfect, I've been trying a few different control schemes to see if I can find a better fit for me.

The titans feel really, really slow, but they are satisfying as all hell to jump on and throw grenades in.

The wallrunning can be a bit spotty? It feels good unless you're trying to gain momentum going upwards in which it seems like you just barely miss a climbable ledge, again I'm not sure if this is purposeful but it is annoying when you have try to climb a ledge when you have momentum going and end up having to run around the wall because you barely miss it.

Pilot V Pilot is currently dead so I haven't tried it.

Bounty Hunter is strange, I want to like it because it is a clever idea but I don't really think it works well as there are some dead awkward moments in it. Maybe because everyones new, I'm sure it'll get better as time goes.

Here is the gameplay of my first match on Xbox One at 1080p 60fps (Spanish commentary)
https://youtu.be/SCSEExkleK4

The game definitely feels slower compared to the first one and I don't like the design of the maps wallrunning feels harder other than that the gameplay is solid the quality of the servers is great like the first one

Nowise10

Okay, seriously have do you get below 29 seconds in the training course run course? Been trying everything and 36 seconds is my fastest.

jmaine_ph

Not code begging just wondering if this Tech Test will become open at some point or will it only be code entry?

RedRum

Banned
For someone who played Titanfall up to gen 10, I don't like this game at all. it feels way too slow. The customization options are whack. This is the biggest disappointment ever :(

I'm feeling this way after a few games now. In terms of speed. It does feel slow, but maybe getting the boost perk will help that out a bit.

SwolBro

Banned
Here is the gameplay of my first match on Xbox One at 1080p 60fps (Spanish commentary)
https://youtu.be/SCSEExkleK4

The game definitely feels slower compared to the first one and I don't like the design of the maps wallrunning feels harder other than that the gameplay is solid the quality of the servers is great like the first one

i can't put my finger on it. why does it feel harder?

I'm feeling this way after a few games now. In terms of speed. It does feel slow, but maybe getting the boost perk will help that out a bit.

no, it wont. they completely changed stim. it's just an immediate gush of power and then it's gone and doesn't come back for a while.

You're can't even see most the games content, I wouldn't judge it. The pace is a bit slower, but the TTK is a bit higher to compensate. Im digging it after about 30 games. :)

I initially felt like you do.

Jarmel

Banned
They really need to revise how they're doing the titans. They need the shields back and the grenade/core system is significantly less satisfying than T1 rodeo.

Finally got the chance to play a few matches and I'm pretty certain this feels fundamentally different with how design philosophies have changed. It still plays like Titanfall 1 on the surface, but I dislike how much the map design has shifted away from encouraging strings of wall-running.

I'd argue the titan battery system is more cumbersome in practice, despite it sounding interesting in concept. Bounty Hunter matches are chaotic as it is, which made me have to rely on myself to get out of my titan, retrieve a battery to regain some health, get back in my titan, and repeat.

I'm still eager to play more and see what the other modes are like, though. It's not the same Titanfall that I adored, but it could be a different direction that I'll take to with time. It's just not leaving me with the best of impressions right now.

Demoskinos

Titanfall 2 is pretty fun although with Overwatch and Paragon I have more than enough multiplayer shenanigans to keep me busy.

Jarmel

Banned
Finally got the chance to play a few matches and I'm pretty certain this feels fundamentally different with how design philosophies have changed. It still plays like Titanfall 1 on the surface, but I dislike how much the map design has shifted away from encouraging strings of wall-running.

I'd argue the titan battery system is more cumbersome in practice, despite it sounding interesting in concept. Bounty Hunter matches are chaotic as it is, which made me have to rely on myself to get out of my titan, retrieve a battery to regain some health, get back in my titan, and repeat.

I'm still eager to play more and see what the other modes are like, though. It's not the same Titanfall that I adored, but it could be a different direction that I'll take to with time. It's just not leaving me with the best of impressions right now.

I agree, it feels like MW1 to MW2 where the design just went out the window.

Game feels good. I got to GenV in the first and while it feels abit slower, it also adds some decent weight to movement which I like. Maps are kinda meh but there good non the less. And the guns feel amazing, real impact and weight to shooting with nice sound. Overall I'm happy. Games my number one this holiday for me.

RoKKeR

https://www.twitch.tv/rokker_iv - Streaming if anybody's interested. Still trying to decide whether or not I like the "hero titans" or not...

After playing a bit I've come to like the new mode quite a bit... good deal of strategy involved, risk/reward for hanging on/cashing your bounties.

This makes me a little sad. I enjoyed the first titanfall so much but this seems so much slower and the map doesn't seem as verticals as I want it to be. No rodeo sucks so hard and these two modes aren't fun.

FKTf4Rq.jpg

Welcome to Titanfall

jet1911

Not completely sold yet. There are things I really like (grappling hook/movement/gunplay/the new guns), things I don't really mind(changes made to the titans/no secondary and anti titan weapons at the same time) and things I'm not a fan of(titan cooldown not charging over time/both modes/the openess of that one map not Boomtown)

Scorcher <3<3

Also I need to learn to use the Double take, I love the look of that gun way too much haha.

I agree, it feels like MW1 to MW2 where the design just went out the window.

I'm partial to agree right now. Like I said in the other impressions thread, MW2's mp is a shaggy mess of ideas and mechanics. But I also look back on that game with really fond memories of its maps and whacked out balancing. Subsequent entries never quite lived up to my enjoyment of those first two MWs.

rackham

Banned
They picked two weird maps to test. A problem with Titanfall 1 is how many city maps felt way too similar. The best maps were from the DLC that nobody bought that they ended up giving away for free.

So far, it doesn't look like they listened to player feedback about aesthetic customization. We may not be seeing the full version here but this looks very similar to the original Titanfall beta.

I haven't played the other titans yet but so far I'm not impressed with this "sequel."

Not trying to be a try hard or edgy here. I really enjoyed the first game even though it had many flaws. I could enjoy this game too but it's starting to look like there is still bare bones customization here.

Foxxsoxx

They picked two weird maps to test. A problem with Titanfall 1 is how many city maps felt way too similar. The best maps were from the DLC that nobody bought that they ended up giving away for free.

So far, it doesn't look like they listened to player feedback about aesthetic customization. We may not be seeing the full version here but this looks very similar to the original Titanfall beta.

I haven't played the other titans yet but so far I'm not impressed with this "sequel."

Not trying to be a try hard or edgy here. I really enjoyed the first game even though it had many flaws. I could enjoy this game too but it's starting to look like there is still bare bones customization here.

Yeah one map is just a bit too open and the other is a bit too small, no real middle ground to test.

The game definitely is fun, but it does have some little issues that need ironed out, but I think CTF would go a long way to be able to test the game more because Bounty Hunter just isn't doing it for me.

Titanfall is one of my top 5 games ever. This feels...not good. I'll play more but something is seriously wrong here. Or a lot of things. I hope Respawn can fix it.

Kind of surprised to see so many people here negative on it. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's different than the first no doubt from a design philosophy standpoint, but I feel like the changes work just as well as the design decisions in the original did. They aren't worse, just different.

Opinions though, I guess.

Not really understanding the negativity here.

I don't remember the last time I played Titanfall 1, but I'm enjoying the TF2 technical test a lot. It still feels like Titanfall with some changes here and there.

Alright, played for another hour.

Ya, the these two maps aren't very good. Like I don't feel like I can traverse the maps without touching the ground. Like it feels they purposefully put obstacles in their map design in order to move wall running from being essential to just a capability.

Don't really care for the grapple hook. Feels like its purpose is to make up for the map design no longer allowing for crazy chain wall running.

Gunplay still feels tight as hell which is awesome. Don't understand why they removed the 3 weapon load out. First game you chose a main, side arm, and anti Titan. Now you choose a main and pick either a side arm or anti Titan.

The other thing I don't like is e removal of Titan customization.

Like, I want to choose what weapon I use on my Titan. I want to choose my load out.

Titan classes should just have been based on the "special attack." Everything else should be interchangeable from class to class.

The game is fun, but remember when people said the first was going to be CoD with mechs, but turned out completely different and amazing? This feels like CoD with mechs to me lol.

Also, the big open map, why aren't there zip lines all over the place?

Just got gone done a like 4 hour play session, yep i'm back on board. The first couple matches I definitively felt the heavier/slower feel people had been talking about. It seems like while they have made it harder/near impossible to do some stuff like Titanfall 1, there is still enough of the old mobility along with new stuff (Slide and Grapple) to keep it just as fun as T1 to me.

I'm probably the minority but I really like the new titan stuff too, Scorch is pretty awesome and I think having them be like heroes/characters makes their combat more interesting to me than Titanfall 1. I'd basically put them into auto mode half the time then, now I feel like I actively want to be using one. I'm not a big fan of the new rodeo system though, feels like it should be a new optional thing alongside the old one, being able to either just shoot the core like T1 or steal it as an option.

The getting in Titan animations being third person now is also the oddest change in the world

RoKKeR

I really dislike that Homestead map. Titanfall is not a game that is benefitted from such long sight lines and open fields.

Top Bottom