• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

I watched some of the Giant Bomb footage, and it didn't compel me to go download the free "technical test." It looks too similar to the first game, and I'm still a bit salty about how hollow that first game was.

And a little unrelated, but I really don't like the art style of the TF series. I think the Titans/pilots look great, but the city environments look odd.

aBarreras

I feel like this version of titanfall can't support mass AI with all the actions they did in the original, either for performance or to make room for other features, I dunno but I don't have too much hope on titanfall 1 AI returning in this sequel for multiplayer.

Even with the changes from the 'community' I still don't understand why titans have no regen shields and were turned into hero's.

if you want a shield, steal a battery from an enemy titan and put it into yours, allys can also give you shield if they have stolen a battery too

Your Titan should spawn with a shield, that can then be stolen by enemy pilots restore/replace the shield on a friendly Titan.

I find myself picking up a shield core and just keeping it until I call down my Titan, however I think the game wants me to help out other friendly Titans with it. Knowing that your Titan has a shield when you call it down would alleviate that.

Maybe that would also provide a way to bring back classic rodeo. You can destroy the shield core with your gun while on the hull (removing that Titan's shield), or spend more time pulling it out to keep for yourself. That could maybe balance rodeo - you can't do direct damage to the Titan, but you can quickly destroy its shield.

yeah i think they want to emphatize the team work, but people only want to be lone wolfs, i mean much of the complains on this thread is "i cant do the lone wolf things i did in the first one!"

if you see that a friendly titan is fighting against 2 titans, stealthy steal their battery packs and give it to your team mate!

$1000 is the max? :(

217403_screenshot-original.jpg

Your Titan should spawn with a shield, that can then be stolen by enemy pilots restore/replace the shield on a friendly Titan.

I find myself picking up a shield core and just keeping it until I call down my Titan, however I think the game wants me to help out other friendly Titans with it. Knowing that your Titan has a shield when you call it down would alleviate that.

Maybe that would also provide a way to bring back classic rodeo. You can destroy the shield core with your gun while on the hull (removing that Titan's shield), or spend more time pulling it out to keep for yourself.

Yep. Start with shields, steal batteries to remove shields

There is just more you can do to design the game with shields

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member
I think a lot of thought went into this one, and the thought was "let's not do any of what made the first connect with the audience (albeit small) it did have." Instead of building on the base that was there in TF1 they seem to have just thrown it all out.

Whats sad too is after TF's release they made it sound like they were aware of the big issues, that 1 was basically a test the waters kind of situation and that the sequel would be bigger and better. Building on top. Instead we get a different game.

Ehh, but Titanfall 1 kinda failed and was abandoned super fast. I don't get why everyone is so precious over it now...

Was kinda looking around to communities to hopefully get some nice tips and tactics, but it seems like per usual it's all about conspiracies and how the developer is out to get the gamer.

I'm enjoying my time, just can't figure out what a good load out is though.

Bsigg12

Ehh, but Titanfall 1 kinda failed and was abandoned super fast. I don't get why everyone is so precious over it now...

7 million sold isn't exactly failing for a game plagued with issues during development like an ongoing legal battle and one of the studio heads essentially checking out.

Because the gameplay loop in TF1 is the best of possibly any mp fps, ever. The problems weren't in the loop, but in teaching players and incentivising them to stay long enough to learn.

Was kinda looking around to communities to hopefully get some nice tips and tactics, but it seems like per usual it's all about conspiracies and how the developer is out to get the gamer.

I'm enjoying my time, just can't figure out what a good load out is though.
This is false. Plenty of people still play tF1 on X1. This was 15 minutes ago and a regular population at peaks.
6wdUldk.jpg

Hundreds of awards and over 10 million copies sold...

People are precious over it because those of us who carried on playing it (which had an influx of new players once it went to EA access) knew how great the gameplay was. People abandoned it because of content, not because of the gameplay.

Add more weapons, titans and the ability to customise titans and pilots was all they really needed to do to make the sequel a worthy successor to the first.

if you want a shield, steal a battery from an enemy titan and put it into yours, allys can also give you shield if they have stolen a battery too

Without a natural regen for the shield you get from a battery it's nothing but some extra HP, it's not doing the job the shield did in titanfall 1 which was a small buffer to react to being shot with before your titan took perma damage.

They completely removed half of what made titans unique in the first and turned them into walking scrap metal.

Imagine taking halo, removing shields but giving the spartans more hp which does not regen after being hit, that's how big of a change the titans are in this beta.

I love amped hardpoint as it really promotes objective play for those who don't wanna just sprint around to shoot shit, like myself.
I do agree that the mode DESPERATELY needs AI tho...

Maybe I don't understand the mode well enough but I feel like I'm not being especially useful sat on an objective passing time, at times.

The thing about objective modes in games is the arbitrary differentiation of being 'in' and 'outside' of the objective. I don't like having to be forced within a particular area, it constricts movement, and ends up being the very reason that none of these type of modes are played competitively.

I'll give it another go tonight. I like objective based modes, but I like interaction with objectives to feel fast and skill orientated (like the process of capturing a flag, for instance), but it never feels that way in these zone capture based modes.

Mafro

Players are much more expensive than AI. I suppose if we spawned 100-150 AI it would have an impact.
Why aren't they in amped hard point or pilot v pilot?

Sniper rifle is actually useful in this which should tell everyone that movement is now way too slow.
Yeah I don't remember them being anywhere near as common in the first game compared to this and like you said the reason is obvious, plus there's the more open map design.

People are precious over it because those of us who carried on playing it (which had an influx of new players once it went to EA access) knew how great the gameplay was. People abandoned it because of content, not because of the gameplay.
This. The number one reason I saw for people abandoning the game was that there was no real dangling carrot, which is why so many people wanted a much longer progression with more unlockables.

6 thousand people is plenty of people in an online game community?

Anything above 1000 and it tends to be easy to find games. Several thousand is indeed, plenty, the game doesn't need to be Overwatch or Rocket League to be perfectly playable.

I also hate it when people say that a game is 'dead'. Like, seriously? So long as people can still play it, how is it dead? I can still load up Uncharted 2 and find matches to play. You would be surprised how long people stick with certain games, even if it becomes the popular opinion that everyone has left that game behind.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
To those who don't get why we are bemoaning the loss of the bots.

Bots weren't just about reducing your Titan timer. Bots filled up the massive maps and made them FEEL fuller and in turn almost cosier despite their size which enhanced your feeling of movement and kicking ass.

They served as a distraction which allowed you to get the jump on a pilot or Titan.

They served as a way to contribute towards your Attrition score. Even someone having a bad game could simply try and avoid death and farm as many bots as they could to feel like they were still contributing to the team.

The Bots were a MASSIVE part of what made Titanfall so special.

Anything above 1000 and it tends to be easy to find games. Several thousand is indeed, plenty, the game doesn't need to be Overwatch or Rocket League to be perfectly playable.

I never said anything about it being impossible to find games... just that it doesn't seem like that is plenty of people.

I also hate it when people say that a game is 'dead'. Like, seriously? So long as people can still play it, how is it dead? I can still load up Uncharted 2 and find matches to play. You would be surprised how long people stick with certain games, even if it becomes the popular opinion that everyone has left that game behind.

I never called it dead either but I think you know that.

Players are much more expensive than AI. I suppose if we spawned 100-150 AI it would have an impact.

Please spawn in 99 AI then. All over the map, more than just in 2 distinct spots during a wave. With all that ai vs ai interaction they used to have. And the talking heads and npc chatter

Respawn pls. Even if you want every other mode to have no AI, go nuts in one of them (preferably some kind of actual evolution on Attrition)

I tried this for the first time today. I was surprised how much better he game plays with the grappling hook. It's actually fun now. Before, traversing and missing a ledge was infuriating. More hype for this now than I was before. Good job Repsawn!

I dont know how they are going to balance boosts

It's clear there will be a few favourites that make others inferior

I still think they need some kind of gamble or risk.

You should have to buy it with your meter, or have a secondary meter that requires a related objective

So, for amped weapons, get X kills with corresponding ordinary weapon

I never said anything about it being impossible to find games... just that it doesn't seem like that is plenty of people.

Well, what do you want out of the online community, if not to find games?

1,000 is roughly the treshhold where it might become difficult to find matches. In that regard, 6,000 is plenty.

6,000 isn't plenty if you're perhaps thinking about having a thriving online forum associated with the game, or something like that, but it's 'plenty' in regards to the ability to find players to play with, and actively find the game, which I think is the component that matters here.

Alienous

I dont know how they are going to balance boosts

It's clear there will be a few favourites that make others inferior

I still think they need some kind of gamble or risk.

You should have to buy it with your meter, or have a secondary meter that requires a related objective

So, for amped weapons, get X kills with corresponding ordinary weapon

I say just get rid of amped weapons, at least in the way they are implemented here. A more powerful gun as a reward for doing well in the game? It's the killstreak mentality.

I think burn cards is a better solution, even considering that they had amped weapons. You still get to use items too powerful to fit into a loadout, but you only get to take three into a match, and the gamble is activating it and using it before someone is able to kill you. It was also a good way of giving struggling players a way back into the match.

rackham

Banned
People are saying titanfall was bad now? There are millions of people who put in over 100 hours into titanfall. I put in 250. How many hours of a game are you supposed to put in with no content?

Frontier defense and deadly ground werent in until months later. Playlists sucked. Community was divided with a season pass that no one bought. You couldn't vote on maps or deadly ground option when it was released. Couldn't customize anything. Almost no attachments. No Titan variety. No gun or attachment variety for Titans. No aesthetic customization.

How much time do you have to put into a game for it to be good and liked but you still want more? People didn't stop playing it because it was bad. There was nothing to do. No rewards for prestige leveling. No rewards for ranked play. You couldn't even see the rank of someone unless you had your chip enabled which is kind of pointless.

Please spawn in 99 AI then. All over the map, more than just in 2 distinct spots during a wave. With all that ai vs ai interaction they used to have. And the talking heads and npc chatter

Respawn pls. Even if you want every other mode to have no AI, go nuts in one of them (preferably some kind of actual evolution on Attrition)

such a lust for ai

I say just get rid of amped weapons, at least in the way they are implemented here. A more powerful gun as a reward for doing well in the game? It's the killstreak mentality.

I think burn cards is a better solution, even considering that they had amped weapons. You still get to use items too powerful to fit into a loadout, but you only get to take three into a match, and the gamble is activating it and using it before someone is able to kill you. It was also a good way of giving struggling players a way back into the match.

Im a bit worried with burn cards gone. It seemed like an easy Microtransaction system. Without it, I wonder what they will charge for.

The way they implement it, it's a scorestreak reward before getting your titan.

It will be too frequent, and you literally have to do nothing and make no real sacrifices or effort.

Chris1

If Titanfall 2 maps and modes are free post-release I'd assume that choice allows them to sell new titans.

Has Respawn spoken about this at all? I haven't been following this game too closely.
Maps and modes are free, I doubt they will sell titans since they play such a huge part in the game, but I am curious about the micro transactions they will put in the game. Have they said anything about that? Hopefully it's only cosmetic.

EL CUCO

I tried this for the first time today. I was surprised how much better he game plays with the grappling hook. It's actually fun now. Before, traversing and missing a ledge was infuriating. More hype for this now than I was before. Good job Repsawn!
Yup. I wouldn't know how to play the game without it at this point.

Acidote

The servers on PS4 are giving me a much better latency than whatever they were/are using for the first game on PC. Like half the latency.

I loved the first game and this one feels even better with the AI changes to modes, weapons, the hook is interesting too.

Alienous

Im a bit worried with burn cards gone. It seemed like an easy Microtransaction system. Without it, I wonder what they will charge for.

The way they implement it, it's a scorestreak reward before getting your titan.

It will be too frequent, and you literally have to do nothing and make no real sacrifices or effort.

That's why I liked the burn card approach. You had them in your back pocket for a rainy day. It was an active choice to use them, as using them would destroy them. But in Titanfall 2 you're just alerted that your gun now has the option of doing more damage and it's like "Ok then".

I'm just not a fan of the 'rich getting richer' approach, like Call of Duty has. And Titanfall 2 seems to be moving in that direction in a lot of ways, by removing burn cards, AI and the Titan timer. Those all helped the matches remain engaging and active even if you weren't doing the best in your team.

Chris1

Quoting from Reddit which are quotes from the video.

Edit: For Gaf benefit, it is from a Tech talk about the original Titanfall. The video is from 2015. Respawn talk about how they overcome some of the game play and balance mechanics in the original game.

What changed in 2 years?

That was only last year, why would they say that if they intended this to be Titanfall 2?

Can't help but shake the feeling EA stepped in and asked for it to be CoD-ified. If so, hopefully this reaction tells EA to fuck off and let Respawn do what they want to do.

Maps and modes are free, I doubt they will sell titans since they play such a huge part in the game, but I am curious about the micro transactions they will put in the game. Have they said anything about that? Hopefully it's only cosmetic.

I would imagine they're going to do the same thing CoD does, sell skins for titans, weapons and profile emblems to reap that sweet sweet dollar

To those who don't get why we are bemoaning the loss of the bots.

Bots weren't just about reducing your Titan timer. Bots filled up the massive maps and made them FEEL fuller and in turn almost cosier despite their size which enhanced your feeling of movement and kicking ass.

They served as a distraction which allowed you to get the jump on a pilot or Titan.

They served as a way to contribute towards your Attrition score. Even someone having a bad game could simply try and avoid death and farm as many bots as they could to feel like they were still contributing to the team.

The Bots were a MASSIVE part of what made Titanfall so special.

BOOM

Top Bottom