• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

It doesn't look to me like Forward Base Kodai has the density of buldings to facilitate good Pilot vs. Titan play. It has a large, open building in the middle, and not many at the perimeter, whereas I'd say the best Titanfall 1 maps had plenty of places to duck and dodge and climb to outmanoeuvre titans.

Angel city waa such a great impression

I really wanted to pick this up on pc and enjoy it's first few months but currently I do not have that urge, not with the current setup for multiplayer and it's slightly larger focus on pilot v pilot, nerfing titans and poor use of grunts in game modes.

Things can change, but...

Chris1

Yep the third map looks just as bad as the current two we have IMO, maybe it's the person playing and the game mode and my opinion will change once I actually try it, but the map doesn't look good.

It does right now. However before the TF2 tech test the average pop was ~300 globally.

It was half of that when I played last night.

Really cool to see it jump double over night then, would be funny if Titanfall 2 was the cause of Titanfall 1 getting its playerbase back on PC.

Been having quite a bit of fun with it. Game feels nice, AI seems to be more competent then before. The new titan weapons are fun.

BUT (and this could be just that I'm tired after Matsuricon) I already feel the same fatigue that I had with Titanfall 1 starting to settle in.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I noticed, did they get rid of being able to set your Titans mode e.g guard mode ? I didn't look into it too deeply tbh on the controls (skipped training)

Tried a few matches of Attrition there on PC, holy fuck the difference is insane in speed and action. Titans being more powerful, actually having more dashes and feeling much faster. It just feels better to play. I will say though I love the addition of the Reaper AIs in TF2, they can be right bastards lol.

One thing I noticed, did they get rid of being able to set your Titans mode e.g guard mode ? I didn't look into it too deeply tbh on the controls (skipped training)

Tried a few matches of Attrition there on PC, holy fuck the difference is insane in speed and action. Titans being more powerful, actually having more dashes and feeling much faster. It just feels better to play. I will say though I love the addition of the Reaper AIs in TF2, they can be right bastards lol.

Down on the D-pad to change Guard/follow mode.

You can still set guard or follow mode, but the notification is much less obvious.

E92 M3

I don't know how players being highlighted makes it out of play testing. It's just stupid.

Earlier, I said that all of these changes indicate a lack of trust in their product. They are trying to make it as simple as possible for a new audience. Personally, I think chasing the COD crowd is futile. Game should carve out its own niche - as it did with TF1.

Earlier, I said that all of these changes indicate a lack of trust in their product. They are trying to make it as simple as possible for a new audience. Personally, I think chasing the COD crowd is futile. Game should carve out its own niche - as it did with TF1.

I dont really understand this complaint. Bounty hunt is much more complicated than attrition, which was basically a team death match that gave points for ai kills.

Not saying it's better but it's absolutely not simplified. Also rodeoing titans and the battery system is much more complex than just hopping on snd holding the trigger in tf1. Maybe not an upgrade but again, its not simpler.

I'm really hoping they put out a PC beta test sooner than later. Played 2 hours of TF2 on PS4, had some good matches and changing my play style to hipfire the CAR really pays off, but really 90% of the Bounty Hunt games play out the same way: In the first 60 seconds, one team gets to 800$ and the other team is stuck at $200-300. Someone from the losing team leaves, and the winning team just ends up curb stomping the other team. No one ever joins the losing team so it just ends up lopsided and pathetic.

After 2 hours of TF2, which I did sorta enjoy, I played 2 games of Titanfall 1 on PC and then 2 games of black ops 3 on PS4. Enjoyed the TF1 games WAY more than TF2, it was just way more fluid in how my pilot moved, how I got in and out of my titan, and how much better shooting felt. I'd also rather just play BLOPS3 than TF2, but again maybe thats just due to how limited the options are in TF2 right now. It is totally bizarre though how TF2 feels like the prequel to TF1.

I'm also hoping maybe the movement / fluid issues are PC vs console, although I feel super comfy playing BO3 or battlefront on my PS4 so not sure why TF2 would be an exception.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I dont really understand this complaint. Bounty hunt is much more complicated than attrition, which was basically a team death match that gave points for ai kills.

Not saying it's better but it's absolutely not simplified. Also rodeoing titans and the battery system is much more complex than just hopping on snd holding the trigger in tf1. Maybe not an upgrade but again, its not simpler.

Well a lot of Titanfalls rodeoing was about fucking with the pilots head and the mindgames involved just as much as actually shooting the core. Jumping on, avoiding electrical smoke, hiding, jumping on again, running rings around them etc.

Well a lot of Titanfalls rodeoing was about fucking with the pilots head and the mindgames involved just as much as actually shooting the core. Jumping on, avoiding electrical smoke, hiding, jumping on again, running rings around them etc.

. That's all gone. You have no options.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Are you locked in to pulling the battery or throwing in grenades ? Can you not jump off ? I realise that sounds like a daft question after playing the beta for hours but I haven't even tried, I just let the animation finish.

Newlove

I'm really enjoying the Bounty Hunt mode. Hardpoint seems odd without the bots now. Pilot v Pilot is okay but I'm not why they would put that mode in the tech test as it takes away from what Titanfall is all about. It was also first on the modes selection list before they updated the servers, as if to say this is the mode to play.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
OK, the more I play it, the more it grows on me. Sure, the same issues are still there (Time for Titans instead of this scorestreak thing, movement is a tad too limited), but overall, it's fun.

If Respawn can introduce a better mode than Bounty, maybe ratchet up how we get Titans, explain how batteries work, streamline UI, and a few other little tweaks, it can be something special.

I know a lot on GAF are disappointed and all, and understandably so.

For those concerned about the Titans being super weak, just be mindful of batteries and pick them up whenever you can. I kept on doing that, and ejected whenever I saw that someone was rodeo-ing me and I managed to keep my first summoned Titan almost the entire match multiple times.

Jawmuncher

I have kept trying to give this game a chance and I just hate it every time I play. Everything here is such a step back I can't stand it. I'm not even some T1 heavy veteran either.

The maps are so barren even in bounty mode. The slower speed of the game and open ness of Maps with nothing on them promote camping. The matches feel lifeless compared to 1. There's a million other things bothering me. Some tweaks could help but I don't see it fully bringing me on board. I hope the campaign is good, because even attrition I dont think can fix what is here for me.

That's not true at all. You grab the battery and have to escape to a friendly Titan with it or try to hop on again for more damage.

The Titan can get out or pop smoke, or wait for the pilot to hop off, and try to kill them and take back the battery.

The only thing I'd change is make shields active by default and adding a battery either powers them up or heals health.

The bandwagon of hate directed to this game without logic or reason is kind of crazy.

E92 M3

Wut? The new rodeo system is about as simplistic as it gets. I was someone that specialized in killing titans. In TF1 it was all about mind games with the pilot. There were tons of options. In this one, it's all automated for the most part.

I'm really hoping they put out a PC beta test sooner than later. Played 2 hours of TF2 on PS4, had some good matches and changing my play style to hipfire the CAR really pays off, but really 90% of the Bounty Hunt games play out the same way: In the first 60 seconds, one team gets to 800$ and the other team is stuck at $200-300. Someone from the losing team leaves, and the winning team just ends up curb stomping the other team. No one ever joins the losing team so it just ends up lopsided and pathetic.

After 2 hours of TF2, which I did sorta enjoy, I played 2 games of Titanfall 1 on PC and then 2 games of black ops 3 on PS4. Enjoyed the TF1 games WAY more than TF2, it was just way more fluid in how my pilot moved, how I got in and out of my titan, and how much better shooting felt. I'd also rather just play BLOPS3 than TF2, but again maybe thats just due to how limited the options are in TF2 right now. It is totally bizarre though how TF2 feels like the prequel to TF1.

I'm also hoping maybe the movement / fluid issues are PC vs console, although I feel super comfy playing BO3 or battlefront on my PS4 so not sure why TF2 would be an exception.

I think they will adjust as much as possible before release. No way the complaints falls on deaf ears.

Chris1

I have kept trying to give this game a chance and I just hate it every time I play. Everything here is such a step back I can't stand it. I'm not even some T1 heavy veteran either.

The maps are so barren even in bounty mode. The slower speed of the game and open ness of Maps with nothing on them promote camping. The matches feel lifeless compared to 1. There's a million other things bothering me. Some tweaks could help but I don't see it fully bringing me on board. I hope the campaign is good, because even attrition I dont think can fix what is here for me.

I'll repeat it again, I truly believe the biggest sole problem is the maps. The gameplay changes suck but I don't believe they would bring as much negativity if the maps were actually as good as TF1. The bad maps only highlight the gameplay changes even more, and pisses people off even more.

Jawmuncher

That's not true at all. You grab the battery and have to escape to a friendly Titan with it or try to hop on again for more damage.

The Titan can get out or pop smoke, or wait for the pilot to hop off, and try to kill them and take back the battery.

The only thing I'd change is make shields active by default and adding a battery either powers them up or heals health.

The bandwagon of hate directed to this game without logic or reason is kind of crazy.

Plenty of people here have put hours in and just don't like it. I've been staying on this thread and learning all the things to try and make this more enjoyable but it ain't working.

Nope. You can totally jump off mid animation and jump right back on to retry. It's actually quite fun to toy with people using the grapple hook.
Once you actually pull the battery or drop the grenade you are locked in to jump off straight backwards. You can't choose which direction to jump off.

A nice game to end this weekends test for me.

A 13 Pilot Kill Streak which includes (I think)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Dr Quincy M E/video/20776177

Edit: Upload studio not letting me edit/upload. Ignore last 30 seconds that was me trying to snap/record the clip.

3 electrice smoke kills
5 Titan Punches
2 with Thermal Shield
2 with Thermite launcher
1 as a Pilot
2 or 3 battery pick ups
Lots of grunt kills and a Titan assist or two
Not sure exactly if that is right, but something like that!

Furious with myself at the end though. Stupidly tried to Rodeo a Titan while it had the bubble shield and I died losing half my bounty.

Wut? The new rodeo system is about as simplistic as it gets. I was someone that specialized in killing titans. In TF1 it was all about mind games with the pilot. There were tons of options. In this one, it's all automated for the most part.

The only real change in place is that pilots can't stay on a Titan for as long as they want.

You still hop on and after a short animation, you do damage to the Titan. You can still hop off early.

This could be to balance the game better since titans don't have shields.

Alienous

I'm not a fan of not being able to stay on a Titan. They've given every Titan electric smoke, right? That's enough - I think. Staying on a Titan will always come at a risk, then, but it should also be an option. So should removing the battery instead of destroying it, I think. I'm not a fan of jumping on a titan and having an animation play out that I have nothing to do with.

I'll repeat it again, I truly believe the biggest sole problem is the maps. The gameplay changes suck but I don't believe they would bring as much negativity if the maps were actually as good as TF1. The bad maps only highlight the gameplay changes even more, and pisses people off even more.

Right, even things like the TTK can partially be due to the overabudance of sight-lines the maps provide.

So I agree with you; if nothing else changed but the maps (and the design philosophies behind them) the game would drastically improve.

Right, even things like the TTK can partially be due to the overabudance of sight-lines the maps provide.

So I agree with you; if nothing else changed but the maps (and the design philosophies behind them) the game would drastically improve.

One thing to consider is since bounty hunt directly incentivises killing ai when they appear in designated spots, having those areas be more open and dangerous to be in is kind of on purpose. The push pull of players who are focusing on ai and enemies who want to kill those players is in effect.

Although I think if they added two more towers to the more open larger map near each dz point it would be better.

So I guess I'll way in here. Only really played the TF1 beta and enjoyed it but I'm not the biggest online FPS fan so I decided to wait for the inevitable sequel because I felt they'd have a SP campaign with it as well. So I checked this one out and played a handful of bounty missions and had a lot of fun! Since I'm not familiar with all the differences between the two games I enjoyed moving around, killing grunts and other players and that ion titan was cool.

I think I'll be going with this game as my fall FPS if they can land the Sp campaign. But I like what I've seen so far

The only real change in place is that pilots can't stay on a Titan for as long as they want.

You still hop on and after a short animation, you do damage to the Titan. You can still hop off early.

This could be to balance the game better since titans don't have shields.

It has nothing to do with shields since rodeo bypassed shields in the first game. And not being able to choose when you hop off is a massive change. An example, in the first game, I would rodeo to remove hatch, dismount and re-rodeo. Since I normally run stealth kit, this second rodeo would not be immediately detected. I would wait for a Titan to be in a position of vulterability (for example, engaging with another titan or just dumped off ordinance / smoke) and THEN start shooting into their brain. Furthermore, as a counterpoint, if I'm a titan and someone rodeos me, I know exactly where they are going to end up when they dismount.

Izuna

Banned
A nice game to end this weekends test for me.

A 13 Pilot Kill Streak which includes (I think)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Dr Quincy M E/video/20776177

Edit: Upload studio not letting me edit/upload. Ignore last 30 seconds that was me trying to snap/record the clip.

3 electrice smoke kills
5 Titan Punches
2 with Thermal Shield
2 with Thermite launcher
1 as a Pilot
2 or 3 battery pick ups
Lots of grunt kills and a Titan assist or two
Not sure exactly if that is right, but something like that!

Furious with myself at the end though. Stupidly tried to Rodeo a Titan while it had the bubble shield and I died losing half my bounty.

I feel like I am watching some Titanfall mod for CoD.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just had a 2v5 from the start of the match until the end. Think a dev wanted that pointed out if it was happening.

E92 M3

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4yvvav/watch_this_video_of_respawn_from_two_years_ago/

Great thread that demonstrates how Respawn went back on a few issues they fixed initially.
Some quotes from their talk:
"It doesn't matter how good you are. It's not gonna be 'I kill 3 people/I kill 6 people, so I get a Titan' and the lesser skilled players don't".
"Having the AI in the environment as 'food' to help speed up Titan build time".
"Pilots always working towards a new Titan. It doesn't matter what you're doing, you Titan timer is always happening".
"The regenerating shield was the last thing we figured out in Titan combat to really make it work. Before that, your Titan would get damaged to 10% health and it would be worthless. Adding the shield and letting that regen made them more viable".
"Pilot and Titans should be equally viable (...) We did not spend 80% of our time on either Pilots or Titans and then 20% of our time on the other".

What? You say this like all of the criticisms are not legitimate or genuine when they absolutely are. All of the complaints/criticisms people (myself included) are making are valid and are worth noting. I may only have just started posting but I've been reading this thread since the start and people have been completely logical with what they find wrong with the game.

Grappling hook needs to be a feature for every player, everybody should have it as a basic tool

Only if the maps don't change. If they remain open like Homestead or Boomtown, then they should be permanently mapped to the left bumper, while the other abilities are mapped to the D-Pad.

What? You say this like all of the criticisms are not legitimate or genuine when they absolutely are. All of the complaints/criticisms people (myself included) are making are valid and are worth noting. I may only have just started posting but I've been reading this thread since the start and people have been completely logical with what they find wrong with the game.

I think the kind of disparaging comparisons to cod are totally illogical.

Top Bottom