• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

CrazE

Banned
After playing this weekend for me at least, this game is a blast. Not as Titany as TF1, not even close. But the combat of Pilot vs Pilot is really awesome. I liked it a lot. Also that grappling hook is sick. LOVE IT!

I feel the game will be great fun for me and my friends. Also clan stuff!

after 20 hours of play I am in love. Game is smooth. Networks is awesome. The maps are not the greatest but did grow on me after I learned the wallrun lanes (You can always get to the center of a map quickly). Looking forward to whatever tweaks they may implement before next weekend and super pumped for another mode and map.

Man, these changes sound disappointing as hell....

Haven't played this demo yet but loved the first one. I thought this would be an easy sequel, but man it sounds like they dropped the ball hard in several key areas that made the first an amazing game.

Worst way to show off the game is to let Cod players run around. The linked video just showed someone running around on foot without using the TF controls and options.

I still think I need to see a city based map with lots of verticality.

If there was one, it'd be in the test you'd think.

I love how maps end up full of titan batteries on the ground.

No one gives a fuck about them :/

Lol what?! You must be in some weird games! With the parties i've been in it's a game of constant battery fetching and managing who on your team needs a shield recharge and who can go steal one for them etc. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the shallow rodeo mechanic of TF1.

Gah. Parkour wise.. these seem like like they all used the more spacious TF1 maps as a template. Kind of weird.

Not all the maps were fantastic for free running, but at least there WERE a fair number of really good ones. It's possible they have some, but the fact they have not tweeted so and none of the test maps are of that style is.. unfortunate. This is my only MAJOR gripe.

It just feels... weird. Like, the training course encourages parkour, and there's so little of that in the multiplayer maps. I use the grappling hook, but I think it is to blame because they had to design the maps around it.

Gah. Parkour wise.. these seem like like they all used the more spacious TF1 maps as a template. Kind of weird.

Not all the maps were fantastic for free running, but at least there WERE a fair number of really good ones. It's possible they have some, but the fact they have not tweeted so and none of the test maps are of that style is.. unfortunate. This is my only MAJOR gripe.

It just feels... weird. Like, the training course encourages parkour, and there's so little of that in the multiplayer maps. I use the grappling hook, but I think it is to blame because they had to design the maps around it.

I think a LOT of the complaints are a result of the movement "paths" not being as visually prominent. There are loads of ways to move through the two maps that have been playable but they dont stick out like sore thumbs this time around.

People will get used to the new mechanics and how to chain sliding into their movement in a way that allows for lighting fast traversal.

SwolBro

Banned
People will get used to the new mechanics and how to chain sliding into their movement in a way that allows for lighting fast traversal.
No they won't. This is funny watching people complain about parkour as if the majority of the Titanfall base actually did it properly. Most attrition players are especially bad, even the ones that never stopped playing the game. They don't parkour, they don't bunnyhop, they barely move.

You'd only see high level parkour and movement in CTF. So it's kind of funny seeing a lot of people come in here complaining about something they never actually did properly. The better players in Titanfall 2 right now still move a hell of a lot more than 99% of the player base.

But i won't disagree that these maps aren't parkour friendly. They need better maps.

No they won't. This is funny watching people complain about parkour as if the majority of the Titanfall base actually did it properly. Most attrition players are especially bad, even the ones that never stopped playing the game. They don't parkour, they don't bunnyhop, they barely move.

You'd only see high level parkour and movement in CTF. So it's kind of funny seeing a lot of people come in here complaining about something they never actually did properly. The better players in Titanfall 2 right now still move a hell of a lot more than 99% of the player base.

But i won't disagree that these maps aren't parkour friendly. They need better maps.

You've got a point. I'm not finding any shortage of aerial movement options in TF2. Could be that these things just stick out and work for some of us and don't for others.

SwolBro

Banned
You've got a point. I'm not finding any shortage of aerial movement options in TF2. Could be that these things just stick out and work for some of us and don't for others.

Exactly. When i played with some veteran Titanfall 1 players over the weekend we'd fly across the map at the beginning of the match before the other team even got out of their fucking spawns.

For all the talk about "this is COD with mechs" 99% of players still play it like COD. They should be thankful that they have that option to play like that because if they didn't the skill gap would be just as wide and insane as it is now in the original Titanfall.

Anyways, for some of you that don't know the training simulator is still accessible!!!

Exactly. When i played with some veteran Titanfall 1 players over the weekend we'd fly across the map at the beginning of the match before the other team even got out of their fucking spawns.

For all the talk about "this is COD with mechs" 99% of players still play it like COD. They should be thankful that they have that option to play like that because if they didn't the skill gap would be just as wide and insane as it is now in the original Titanfall.

Anyways, for some of you that don't know the training simulator is still accessible!!!

Right!? lol i found it funny that i was always able to get to the center of the map on Bounty WAY before the majority of players by chaining wallruns and slides. You then have people camped up on top a roof for 10 minutes and they cry they want an auto titan timer or burncards because TF1 had them. Some just dont want to earn the fun stuff and be given everything i guess?

zou

and this video, from GC 2016, explains why Respawn lost their way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyryweXyBxA

- AI are annoying and don't have a purpose? [what?]
- rodeos are annoying? [WHAT? so many ways to deal with these]
- everybody doesn't just GET a titan? [WHAT WHAT WHAT?]

seems like they literally just listened to the biggest whiners / complainers on reddit and neglected to consider whether any of those people actually played the game for more than a few hours...

Damn, this explains so much. Joel was already against all of the stuff that made TF1 great, as seen in that one video posted earlier (pax prime 14). He's always been in favor of going full COD, I guess this time there was no one to balance or reign him in.

So yeah, I don't expect anything to change fundamentally if he's in charge of TF2...

Edit: At one point during the development of TF1 he actually thought double jump was too much and they actually made a version without it.

Timu

Maybe because its a free test version that anyone in ps4/xb1 can download and play??

I slayed in a lot of matches too. A lot of players just standing around or camping buildings that were easy to pick off. A lot of clueless players that didn't know about wallrun at all.
It wasn't like that for most of the matches I did. There were some players that put up a great fight.

SwolBro

Banned
Xbone TF1 ST

and

Super High (5)
Look Stick aiming : Classic
Lookstick deadzone : None
Movement deadzone : Large

I was having trouble adjusting at first but things have gotten significantly better after someone recommended these settings

you do realize making a large deadzone means you have to move more of the stick to move your player right? Having look stick deadzone at zero is also a problem, because sticks always move on their own a tiny bit. i tend to keep both on low. Also, the higher the aim sensitivity the less auto-aim you have.

RedFury

Lol what?! You must be in some weird games! With the parties i've been in it's a game of constant battery fetching and managing who on your team needs a shield recharge and who can go steal one for them etc. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the shallow rodeo mechanic of TF1.
I've been in a couple of those,I just pick them up and put them in my titan lol.
Edit: I still think regen shields should be tied to cores.

Damn, this explains so much. Joel was already against all of the stuff that made TF1 great, as seen in that one video posted earlier (pax prime 14). He's always been in favor of going full COD, I guess this time there was no one to balance or reign him in.

So yeah, I don't expect anything to change fundamentally if he's in charge of TF2...

Edit: At one point during the development of TF1 he actually thought double jump was too much and they actually made a version without it.
... This is the guy that's leading dev on TF2?!

If this is true, this just makes me mad. How does one guy get to undo so much ?

zou

Just a guess based on that interview.

But it would explain all the changes, if they have a "military shooter" guy in charge.

Joels an art director is he not ? I thought the person in charge was still Steve Fukuda ?

No idea, however on that panel he was discussing gameplay changes. Same with the interview, wouldn't make sense if he's only in charge of art and design.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FScrubs.gif

Enjoyed what I played of this, never played TF1 so nothing to compare it to like others.

Really had fun just using the Double Take Sniper Rifle for a lot of my time.

is it wrong for me to just want to play "PilotFall" ???

I have ZERO interest in controlling a big clunky Mech in an FPS game, when instead I can zip around like a Wasp.

I did try the other modes but Pilot V Pilot was just solid gunplay/tactics for me.

Joels an art director is he not ? I thought the person in charge was still Steve Fukuda ?

He is, but apparently he doesn't understand gameplay. He needs to stick to art.

Enjoyed what I played of this, never played TF1 so nothing to compare it to like others.

I have ZERO interest in controlling a big clunky Mech in an FPS game, when instead I can zip around like a Wasp.

I did try the other modes but Pilot V Pilot was just solid gunplay/tactics for me.

You think that because you haven't played TF1. The mechs weren't clunky at all like they are in TF2.

You think that because you haven't played TF1. The mechs weren't clunky at all like they are in TF2.

I owned an Xbox One for a month back in 2014 but it was just a Forza Horizon 2 machine at the time, I fancy checking out TF1 when I get a Scorpio, it sounds even better than this sequel if a lot of TF1 players are to be believed.

They were anything but clunky in the first game.

Although I think I found the guy who was in the focus group for the sequel.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think piloting a huge hulking Mech appeals to the MAJORITY of FPS players, a lot of people myself included like a stealthy lone wolf approach patrolling the outskirts of maps and flanking the enemy spawn in an FPS game, I like feeling that sense of danger and being outnumbered and having to take on multiple enemies ... I adopt this play style in all the FPS I've played give or take certain game modes etc.

I just think Respawn/EA have enough quality in this game that I could have seen it thrive just as a game of quality gunplay, movement, tactics and fresh varied encounters given the maps are bigger than COD but smaller than BF, IMHO it could sit perfectly in the middle ground between the arena shooter and the large scale war simcade titles.

However given the focus on Titans/Mechs as a main gameplay reward/element I just don't see the game ever achieving mass appeal with the gaming public, however if EA/Respawn dropped the Mech element in a rebranded FPS game - I think they could find a lot of people wanting in.

Lastly how viable is it for someone like me to buy this game PURELY for the Pilot V Pilot mode ? Would the played base be there in that mode beyond month 2 or 3 ? Is Pilot V Pilot in TF1 ?

tskeeve

Maybe it's just me but I don't think piloting a huge hulking Mech appeals to the MAJORITY of FPS players, a lot of people myself included like a stealthy lone wolf approach patrolling the outskirts of maps and flanking the enemy spawn in an FPS game, I like feeling that sense of danger and being outnumbered and having to take on multiple enemies ... I adopt this play style in all the FPS I've played give or take certain game modes etc.

Yep, I think you're right about that. I'm a pretty casual shooter fan, and the mechs aspect of Titanfall never really appealed to me. I much prefer the pilot vs. pilot gameplay. To me, the most interesting innovation Titanfall brought to the table was the new movement mechanics, not the mechs.

Chris1

Lastly how viable is it for someone like me to buy this game PURELY for the Pilot V Pilot mode ? Would the played base be there in that mode beyond month 2 or 3 ? Is Pilot V Pilot in TF1 ?
I'm not sure how active it will be in this game months down the road.

It was added to Titanfall 1 a few month after release and was completely dead after a few weeks. But the Titanfall 2 version of it is slightly better (probably comes down to the maps suiting it more), so who knows.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I love how maps end up full of titan batteries on the ground.

No one gives a fuck about them :/

And this is part of the problem. If Respawn explained or taught people about how batteries work, how you can replenish your own shield, help others, etc., then people wouldn't be complaining about "Titans sux!!" so much, right?

I wasn't able to take a screenshot, but I feel the UI needs to be given a quick refresh as well. Waaaaay too much shit going on. I mean, in Bounty, you'll be greeted with "NEXT ENEMY WAVE!!!!" right smack dab in the center of the screen; and then there's the grunt prices on the right, abilities below, etc.

Reiterating what I've said before, the game grew on me a fair bit and I wanted to play some more. I think Respawn should be able to fix some of the little issues, and that would be good enough for some people to give it another go. It's nowhere near a bad or terrible game; it's just not the Titanfall old fans wanted.

I really do feel that they made the changes since they had to or based on their own internal data. TF1 had players drop out fast, which they can't afford now.

If you want to play Pilotfall why wouldn't you buy any other number of the "mobility shooters" that have launched in its wake?

Literally the whole point of Titanfall is Titan/pilot gameplay.

Jrs3000

I want to like what I played so far but I feel dirty. I played TF1 after the Alpha to get a feel for the differences. My fix list is:

-Change speed and momentum for wall running and jumping back to TF1 levels
-Increase speed, animation, and momentum using the grappling hook
-Make grappling hook standard
-Raise pilots TTK slightly
-Increase sniper rifle velocity
-Limit rifle firerate slightly(feels OP to me, I've killed snipers from longrange easily)
-Bring back dash as standard equipment on the titan
-Bring back ability to choose titan weapons
-Bring back Titan timer
-Bring back attrition
-Get rid of out of bounds in bushes or get rid of thick bushes on maps
-Fix map design of current ones in alpha

If these happened the game would be perfect to me.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I want to like what I played so far but I feel dirty. I played TF1 after the Alpha to get a feel for the differences. My fix list is:

-Limit rifle firerate slightly
-Bring back Titan timer
-Bring back attrition

One of the devs posted earlier in the thread that the team worked on the balance of the grappling hook for over a year so we're probably stuck with it in it's current form.

Unfortunately in the tech test it was more fat bumblebee than wasp.

Jrs3000

One of the devs posted earlier in the thread that the team worked on the balance of the grappling hook for over a year so we're probably stuck with it in it's current form.

Damn, at least fix the animation when it reels you in, speeding it up or adding the blur to give it a sense of speed as if you're moving faster.

Im thinking at this rate it would be better to release a map editor for TF1 to make new maps then mod in the grappling hook and slide ability!

E92 M3

Do you have some sources about Joel's thoughts for the OG game? Curious to read.

SwolBro

Banned

-Limit rifle firerate slightly(feels OP to me, I've killed snipers from longrange easily)
-Bring back Titan timer
-Bring back attrition

No, this game isn't about sniper fests. Pilot V Pilot is already half snipers, no need to make it more so.

SwolBro

Banned
If the game moved as fast as TF1 and the maps were of similar design it wouldn't be that way.

No one moves fast in Titanfall 1 though. Pop it in and go play it lol. You'll have 99% of the population slow as shit.

If we get better maps in Titanfall 2 more conducive to parkouring i think it may end up a faster experience for a majority of players than the original game.

No one moves fast in Titanfall 1 though. Pop it in and go play it lol. You'll have 99% of the population slow as shit.

If we get better maps in Titanfall 2 more conducive to parkouring i think it may end up a faster experience for a majority of players than the original game.

People that is still playing TF1 know their shit, especially on PC.

Yeah the grappling hook could help, but what about players that want to use other abilities while still able to move fast?

SwolBro

Banned
People that is still playing TF1 know their shit, especially on PC.

Yeah the grappling hook could help, but what about players that want to use other abilities while still able to move fast?
And respawn should adjust the momentum gain and ability to retain it. i'd like to see bhops come back, or the wall run increase speed.

i won't argue that at all. lets see what they do about it

If you want to play Pilotfall why wouldn't you buy any other number of the "mobility shooters" that have launched in its wake?

Literally the whole point of Titanfall is Titan/pilot gameplay.

Destiny - 30fps FPS ... I'm out.

AW - Platinumed the game and played the Multi for a month, that was enough - lag, connection issues and TOO MUCH mobility was enough in the end.

BO3 - I like BO3 in spells but it has been unplayable for me since the first DLC launched, 400ms lag spikes, connecting every night to people in the middle East on 200ms pings stuttering/teleporting around the map all game - tried everything and every other game works fine and lag free online. The game is unplayable for lots of people and has been for a while, my mate lives 3 miles down the road and has exact same problem and YouTube/Reddit is full of people saying the same thing but then you have thousands of others playing the game fine as I was from November to January ? Treyarch seem clueless to fix it.

So it's not like I haven't tried to find a 'mobility' shooter ! ;-)

zou

Do you have some sources about Joel's thoughts for the OG game? Curious to read.

That's from the pax prime panel 2014 video posted earlier in the thread, 5-10 minutes in I think?

He just mentions him coming from a military shooter background so this was all weird to him and that he thought they should get rid of double-jump because it was too much. The tested it, realized it's shit and put it back in. But it speaks volumes that the same guy touting all the great "improvements" in TF2 also thought double-jumping should be removed.

Granted, maybe I'm completely off base, but his comments from the 2014 video together with the newer interview just rub me the wrong way.

mcrommert

Banned
Destiny - 30fps FPS ... I'm out.

AW - Platinumed the game and played the Multi for a month, that was enough - lag, connection issues and TOO MUCH mobility was enough in the end.

BO3 - I like BO3 in spells but it has been unplayable for me since the first DLC launched, 400ms lag spikes, connecting every night to people in the middle East on 200ms pings stuttering/teleporting around the map all game - tried everything and every other game works fine and lag free online. The game is unplayable for lots of people and has been for a while, my mate lives 3 miles down the road and has exact same problem and YouTube/Reddit is full of people saying the same thing but then you have thousands of others playing the game fine as I was from November to January ? Treyarch seem clueless to fix it.

So it's not like I haven't tried to find a 'mobility' shooter ! ;-)

There is this awesome mobility shooter called halo 5 you should try

Top Bottom