• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 on PS4 has now had 49,000 players signed in at once, and it's not even the weekend yet. This is how you promote a sequel.

Even if it's a forced subscription service to play on something you already paid for (internet), you can't help but admit that PS Plus is great for developers.

Murder187

The prequel was superior in literal any way.

WKD2FVd.jpg
Agreed the first was a hundred times better

HoodWinked

At first when I started to play Titanfall 2 multiplayer I did prefer the original but the more you play Titanfall 2 you do start to realize all the small tweaks and changes and slowly come to admit the sequel has the superior multiplayer.

ZywyPL

Banned
Funny people love the campaign so much without praising the multiplayer. I thought the multiplayer was the best of this generation (no exaggeration!).

Because for most it was not just one, but several steps backwards compared to the original. TF1 was brilliant as it was, it only lacked more guns, titans and maps, but instead Respawn totally overhauled the MP, runing it in the process. The exact thing happened with CoD4/MW2. And they brought bunny hopping back, which alone instantly killed the game for many people.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Because for most it was not just one, but several steps backwards compared to the original. TF1 was brilliant as it was, it only lacked more guns, titans and maps, but instead Respawn totally overhauled the MP, runing it in the process. The exact thing happened with CoD4/MW2. And they brought bunny hopping back, which alone instantly killed the game for many people.

Do you have some proof of that claim? Especially if you only played the betas, TF2 got way better after that. The movement in the game is second to none, and you're complaining about bunny hopping? You think that being able to move quickly and skillfully is a bad thing?

I don't get what OP is saying, this would be a good promotion if Titanfall 3 was a few months away from release.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have said "this is how you generate interest in a sequel." That's what I meant when I said promote.

Convince 10% of those to buy your sequel and you are at a whopping 5K. So give your old game away and then what?

You do realize that the 50,000 players isn't a total, and it's a player count at a given time, right? I have no idea how many new players there are in total. Hopefully Respawn will release some numbers, but I guess we'll have to see. And the 50,000 at once also doesn't count the people who were playing the campaign first. I know that's what I did when I first got the game.

Kagey K

Banned
You do realize that the 50,000 players isn't a total, and it's a player count at a given time, right? I have no idea how many new players there are in total. Hopefully Respawn will release some numbers, but I guess we'll have to see. And the 50,000 at once also doesn't count the people who were playing the campaign first. I know that's what I did when I first got the game.

Im aware. It was meant to be a sarcastic post. I don’t see how people who wouldn’t buy it for 5.00 the many, many times it’s been on sale for that price are going to run out and buy the next one because of a short term boost from it being free on PS+. It tells me they got it for free and decided to give it a go, I don’t think it sustains those numbers for very long.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Im aware. It was meant to be a sarcastic post. I don’t see how people who wouldn’t buy it for 5.00 the many, many times it’s been on sale for that price are going to run out and buy the next one because of a short term boost from it being free on PS+. It tells me they got it for free and decided to give it a go, I don’t think it sustains those numbers for very long.

Maybe not, but at least it's been given a real chance now. Those who wouldn't buy it for five also likely passed on the game for fears that the community wouldn't be there, or that the only people still playing would destroy you with their level of skill. That's not an issue when you can sit down with the game and suddenly have an influx of 48,000 players in that play session alone.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
One of the if not the best MP games released this gen. The SP campaign was pretty fun too.

EA in their infinite wisdom decided to release this relatively unknown game and franchise in between COD and Battlefield that year.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
EA killed the game with the stupid release date! Glad I didn’t miss out on it at least

The people that got hooked on Apex Legends went and played the game. So for the past 9 months this game saw an increase in their player base. Great game, loved every minute of the campaign.

Kagey K

Banned
i remember a bunch of people shitting on TF1 because it was MS exclusive and didn’t have a campaign, but I think the campaign in TF2 took too many resources from the MP.

Had TF1 launched with that campaign, or they got the magic from TF1 MP into TF2 it could easily be GOTG. I still put the first game in my top 10 from this gen.

I dint know how anyone can call it ”relatively unknown” after those Major Nelson have you seen a Titanfall gifs.

GymWolf

I only played the campaign, it was piss easy and short but probably one of the best fps campaign of this gen.

zeorhymer

There would have been more players....If fucking EA wasn't stupid and released it in between major release titles and marketed it as a whole new experience where you didn't have to have played TF1.

ZywyPL

Banned
Do you have some proof of that claim?

I'd say the game being almost completely dead in less than a month is more than enough proof. People praised the SP mode, notably for its gameplay, but somehow the MP with the exact same great gameplay didn't stick for longer. Too many bad design choices.

MiguelItUp

I loved the original Titanfall so much, but couldn't really get into this one. But I constantly heard this one being swapped compared to the original. Where the campaign is incredible, and the multiplayer was fine. But a lot of people applauded the updates, new content, etc. Which I definitely acknowledged and loved seeing.

But after all the praise the campaign got, I'm SUPER curious about it.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
I'd say the game being almost completely dead in less than a month is more than enough proof. People praised the SP mode, notably for its gameplay, but somehow the MP with the exact same great gameplay didn't stick for longer. Too many bad design choices.

I played TF2 for over a year, and I never had issues finding a game. "Almost completely dead" is vague and inaccurate. You made the claim that most people liked the original Titanfall more than the sequel, but you have no evidence of that. You're posting your personal opinion, which you've seen other people agreeing with, and suggesting that it's some sort of consensus, which it isn't.

I hate the character Ava in Borderlands 3, and I know that a LOT of people feel that way, but I wouldn't say that most people hate her character, because I'd have no way of knowing that.

Personally, Titanfall 2 is by far my favorite multiplayer shooter of this console generation. Overwatch would have to be a close second.

Funny people love the campaign so much without praising the multiplayer. I thought the multiplayer was the best of this generation (no exaggeration!).
The first one didn't have a campaign so I gets a lot of attention but make no mistake TF2 MP is pure excellence.

It's kind of sad that this game was sent to die at release. It's one of the best games in it's genre. If you enjoy Mecha/robots this game is the shit. I'm glad to see it's getting more people playing it now, though I wish it wasn't because it was a freebie.

VertigoOA

Banned
To an extent I preferred the team death match mode without the mechs over any other pvp mode. The wall running mechanic is the best part of the game. A raw shooter with that kind of movement is fun as hell.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

So glad this game got a booster shot.

Probably won't stay on this high for too long though.
While I loved the MP, it doesn't have a lot of "stuff" in terms of customization and load outs, etc. Compared to something like the newest cod.

However, I found the single player to be utterly fantastic. Not just the best shooter sp mode this Gen, one of the best sp this gen period.

VertigoOA

Banned
Player numbers weren’t even a third of this when it launched.

I guess “from the makers of Apex Legends” carries some weight.

I played the fuck out of this for like a good 3 months at launch and player counts were rarely over 10k peak.

We’re making the campaign sound better than what It really is but the time travel sequence and final mission were great.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Fired up the multiplayer. A cacophony of explosions and gunfire. In all honesty I now remember why I never bothered with it.

Considering the game died after release it goes to show there is only so much one can take of silly antics.

Slower paced boots on ground is where it’s always been for me and always will.

VertigoOA

Banned
Fired up the multiplayer. A cacophony of explosions and gunfire. In all honesty I now remember why I never bothered with it.

Considering the game died after release it goes to show there is only so much one can take of silly antics.

Slower paced boots on ground is where it’s always been for me and always will.

it has your basic team death match mode without the mechs.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I bought the first one cheap a few months ago. Servers are dead. Does it have a SP campaign mode?

I’ve got 2 downloaded but haven’t played it yet. do you play more as a human than a mech??

Alx

I’ve got 2 downloaded but haven’t played it yet. do you play more as a human than a mech??

A bit of both. In the most common game mode (Attrition, aka "what Titanfall is all about"), you start on foot, and speed up the creation of your titan by scoring points. Once you have a titan, if you're good and get help from your teammates you can keep it until the end, but they're usually discardable and you'll usually end up dropping 2 or 3 titans in a match. You can also leave your titan fighting for itself and keep your feet on the ground (or rather on walls, rooftops and other titans), but it's rarely a good strategy (your titan won't last and killing one rewards the opposite team a lot)
You also have modes like "Last titan standing" where you will spend most of the time in your titan. It's a good mode, but a less popular one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom