• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've personally found my score suffers when I use it. I do way better with Carbine or Shotty.
I've just leveled the carbine as far as it will go. Gonna try and unlock everything. I really love this game. It sorta reminds of crackdown a little bit.

The Cowboy

Not sure if Respawn people are reading here (or if anyone knows of a fix), but setting certain resolutions (I'm playing it at 21x9) cuts off parts of the UI.

I was playing 21x9 res and it scales perfectly in game (the main menu goes to the left slightly), but the in game UI is a bit messed up as it cuts off things (like the titan cool down timer)
9tdY9Sv.jpg

Ub85Rcr.jpg
Any chance this will get fixed?, the game looks fantastic in the aspect ratio (especially in the titan).

Wanna elaborate on why?

Doesn't it sound OP?

There are some burn cards that are clearly rare, but it seems like unbalanced nonsense to have to deal with a player pulling out his rare burn card in a game

I don't mind the ones that give you extra XP or whatever, but to literally start you off with a Titan?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be a wuss. Giddy-up and rodeo that bad boy.

SeaCarrot

Banned
Didn't realize it was possible to make Source run this badly. Granted, my specs aren't great but daaaamn.

GTX570
I5-2500k
8GB RAM
SSD

30-45FPS everywhere.

Bizarre, I have the exact same specs, i5 2500k at 4.2, 8GB Ram, GTX 570 @ stock and SSD Samsung 840Pro and I'm at 60fps, without drops, ever.

All high except lighting at medium with 4xAA at 1080p.

Colin.

Managed to play it for a while today on PC. Game looks pretty nice on max settings. I also discovered that I'm terrible with the titan combat. One-on-one with another usually results in me having to eject. On the ground, I'm much better, since typical FPS gameplay is what I'm used to, and the gun play is really smooth. Probably wont get it day one, but maybe later when the price drops. Definitely one of the best FPS games I've tried in recent times.

KissVibes

Banned
Doesn't it sound OP?

There are some burn cards that are clearly rare, but it seems like unbalanced nonsense to have to deal with a player pulling out his rare burn card in a game

I don't mind the ones that give you extra XP or whatever, but to literally start you off with a Titan?

No, because it's weak as shit. The strider is a fucking pushover of the highest degree. It's only good for avoidance and keeping away. Yeah, maybe it would be troublesome with the titan sniper rifle but in my encounter with it, I'd say the auto pistol is more challenging and the shotgun is much more OP.

The only one I'd be worried about someone starting with is the Orge but I don't think they'll allow that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Doesn't it sound OP?

It changes how the match plays out when someone starts with a Titan for sure. But I don't think it's overpowered, if anything it makes the entire opposing team attempt to destroy it ASAP which is why it's so fun to use.

No, because it's weak as shit. The strider is a fucking pushover of the highest degree. It's only good for avoidance and keeping away. Yeah, maybe it would be troublesome with the titan sniper rifle but in my encounter with it, I'd say the auto pistol is more challenging and the shotgun is much more OP.

The only one I'd be worried about someone starting with is the Orge but I don't think they'll allow that.

All three show up as cards.

OK then, fair enough.

Welp, tried the LMG. Not a fan. It's cool how it gigs targets, but dat recoil...hell naw. I'm sure I could have made it work but...just wasn't for me. Not yet, anyway.

Prophezz

Banned
Ok to be honest, from the get-go i wasn't too high in Titanfall. That was until I played the Beta. I immediately pre-ordered the game for the Xbox One after playing it. EA definitely surprised me with this game.

Just got done taking down a group of 3 titans at a time. 3 vs 1 lol. Took down one with my own titan, got ejected and landed right on top of another titan. Got him down a bit with my shotgun then hopped to the other. Got the other one down and then hopped to the first one again. Took him down, that is when the pilot of the 2nd finally jumps out of his titan so I dispatch of him with my shotgun, then proceed to knock out the third.

That was fun and funny.

EA definitely surprised me with this game.

EA is simply publishing the game, nothing to do with development.

HelloMeow

EA is simply publishing the game, nothing to do with development.

EA is also funding development, according to their website:

"Respawn is developing a multi-platform product based on new video game IP and funded through its publishing deal with Electronic Arts, one of the top publishers in the industry."

Xyber

Has anyone here actually gotten the game to run good without any fucking stutter issues on a 120/144Hz monitor?

To get anything above 60FPS you need to enable Vsync, when doing that in fullscreen I get crazy stutter in my movements. Disable Vsync and it runs just fine with absolutely no stutter, but it is locked at 60FPS. I have then tried using borderless window mode and vsync options have no effect while doing that, so I can't get it past 60FPS that way either.

So the only way to make the game run at my damn refresh rate is making the game unplayable. Since this is based on Source and I have never had this problem in any other Source game, I really hope this will be fixed. I know my rig can run it at about 90-130FPS and I would like to see those extra frames.

You already have my money Respawn, now get to work and fix this shit.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Welp, the PC version is completely unplayable for me now. Horrible graphic glitching everywhere. Updated my drivers, no luck.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
First and foremost the game does nothing to tax even one of my GPU's and if it does it still has a weird off drop to 40-50 for about 1-2 seconds. SLI scaling is non-existant.

capturey2je2.png

The actual game is ok. I feel like I'm playing CoD but then I do the wall jumps and get on a Titan and do my thing there. Game is fast and I can see why people would like it. Guns feel good but I feel the lack of having tried all the guns leaves a lot to be desired.

From my 4-5 matches I would say it's worth getting but not for 60. I want to like it but if it's just MP I think this isn't some game changer like some would want to push it as. The allure of mechs only lasts a brief time before I'm reminded of CoD a bit minus the different settings and game play that lends itself to this game.

If it was 35~ at launch I would give it a hard look. I see there is a coupon on a site posted earlier that makes it around 43. I got 4 SP 120's so most of my budget is tied in Amazon funds. Will play it more though.

Sullichin

After a few rounds (only attrition), this game isn't clicking with me yet. To be fair, I've been playing CS: GO and switching to something so fast paced with ADS is difficult (not that I'm any good at CS either).

I really like the movement/double jumping/wallrunning. When you get into a titan it feels really clunky in comparison. Which I suppose makes sense, but I'm not having any fun fighting as a titan until I eject a thousand feet into the air. I usually just keep it on auto pilot. I understand the function of the minions from a game mechanics standpoint but they aren't fun to fight at all. I really hate that you have to unlock the weapons too but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at that.

Is there a certain AMD driver I should be using? On 13.11 with an HD7950/i52500k, I can't maintain a solid 60FPS, even with V-Sync off. The game runs pretty poorly which I wasn't expecting.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
a buddy of mine made this

a few days late, but its the thought that counts. for the OT?
12580944945_18003c17e0_o.png

Rayme

Welp, the PC version is completely unplayable for me now. Horrible graphic glitching everywhere. Updated my drivers, no luck.

Possible fixes:
-Turn off triple-buffering (might as well turn off double as well)
-If you have multiple video cards (laptop) force the good card to be used.

Animator

I want to revise my earlier "this game is alright but not so good" comment.

After playing more and playing with friends I am absolutely loving it. Definitely getting it day one.

Papercuts

Pre-ordered on Origin thanks to GMG's discount. I'll be there day one.

Oh, and Respawn? Put Titanfall 2 on Steam. Or get Valve as a publisher for it. I want my friends to play too.

I want to revise my earlier "this game is alright but not so good" comment.

After playing more and playing with friends I am absolutely loving it. Definitely getting it day one.

I agree. I wasn't that big on it on my first 2 hours of play, but I put some more time in tonight (rank 10) and I'm enjoying the snot of it now.

nikos

So I didn't expect to like this game. As a matter of fact, I had almost no interest in it.

After playing it, however, I have to admit that I'm really enjoying it. The movement is great, it reminds me of UT2k4 wall jumping. Ejecting feels awesome even though it means your Titan is about to explode. Titans are fun, but being on the ground is even better IMO.

The AI sucks, but that isn't really a bad thing because it's fun to kill them while hunting real players. I sort of wish there were more real players on each map, but it doesn't feel too deserted most of the time.

Game runs well on PC, even on my 5850. Think I might just end up purchasing this.

What people need to realize is that the AI is there as cannon fodder and to build up your titan time. It's just like mobas with the throaway ai's

Archpath1

I feel that if AI was smarter and actually killed people, they would just complain if they got killed when players are doing so good.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just sat down intending to play one match and ended up playing four. I truly love this game. I can get so lost in it.

biRdy

Is anyone on PC playing with a 360 controller? Are you getting your ass handed to you?
I was actually playing it on PC with a 360 controller a few minutes ago, and I had no problem playing against others. For a moment I even forgot I was actually playing on PC and was on top of the scoreboard for many matches.

Papercuts

I feel that if AI was smarter and actually killed people, they would just complain if they got killed when players are doing so good.

I feel like some of the critiques I've been seeing don't really make much sense if they were really implemented.

I mean, I see a good amount of people calling the smart pistol OP. Many of these same people also say how the guns have no recoil and it's too similar to CoD in that sense. So they apparently want guns that recoil all over, mixed with wall running/double jumping(which would obviously recoil even more). In that case they really would be constantly killed by the smart pistol.

Top Bottom